Fellowship personal statement, general vs specific?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing my personal statement for fellowship. I realize that while I do have some sub-specialty specific stuff, its more about radiology in general. I write about the things I enjoyed in residency, why radiology is meaningful, and the things I want to keep doing. Its almost like a residency statement with some fellowship stuff tied in. Do you guys think that's okay or should make it more focused towards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I would at least spend some time focusing on why you want to do that fellowship. I mean they already you like radiology, presumably that's why you are a radiologist now. But you gotta at least feed them some fluff about how you are soooo ready to read a bunch of postop ortho xrays or a billion lung cancer/meningioma followups for pennies.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think the statement matters much with the exception of maybe IR or breast. But you have to say something about why you’re picking the subspecialty.

MSK - sports and/or trauma.
Neuro - the brain
Breast - someone you know (or you yourself) had X experience with mammos.
Peds - pays better than veterinary medicine.
Nucs - physiology.
Body - no idea.
Cardiothoracic - the heart.
IR - poke stuff/clinical

Try to sound like a normal, hard worker; someone that isn’t a PITA.

Reactions: 1 user