Fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Cornell sent me rejection :)..anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Cornell sent me rejection :)..anyone else?

keep ur head up high. it's not the greatest program out there. it's random. myself and atleast 2 other guys i know got rejected from there, but we all ended up at a 'better' program.

Easy to get down on yourself. Just make sure you have applied 'widely'.

Members don't see this ad :)
What ARE the top 1 or 2 programs in NYC?

Are people getting lots of interviews yet, or is it still very early for most programs?

I have only gotten two invites thus far and applied to around 12 to 15 programs without having a home program. Hoping it's just early as most of the program's websites state they aren't interviewing until late summer. I would be curious as well to here if others are getting invites.

I have only gotten two invites thus far and applied to around 12 to 15 programs without having a home program. Hoping it's just early as most of the program's websites state they aren't interviewing until late summer. I would be curious as well to here if others are getting invites.

dont worry man. as long as you are a decent applicant.

I have heard they are starting to trickle out, anyone get some yet?

Yes, only a trickle. A very, slow, trickle. I think its still pretty early for most places (I hope so, anyway). Still waiting to her from the vast majority. How about you?

...actually things have picked up today. Looking better...

I know UC-Davis has started interviewing people and the University of Pittsburgh and University of Iowa have sent out invites to interview. Programs seem to prefer email or phone calls...

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have heard from Cornell, OHSU and University of Texas San Antonio. Where else have people either gotten rejections or invites thus far?

How do they contact you for an interview? Snail mail? Email? Phone?

Rejections (my authority on them cannot be questioned): have all come by snail mail (I thought the mail snail was extinct). Interviews: email or phone.

So far I have heard from Cornell, OHSU and University of Texas San Antonio. Where else have people either gotten rejections or invites thus far?

I just received a rejection from UPitt. I wonder what they are looking for. Didn't want to live there anyways. Too much steel. This took quite a while..my application was submitted in Feb.

Has anyone heard from UVA or Wake??

I have not heard anything from UVA or Wake either way.

keep ur head up high. it's not the greatest program out there. it's random. myself and atleast 2 other guys i know got rejected from there, but we all ended up at a 'better' program.

Easy to get down on yourself. Just make sure you have applied 'widely'.

training at
1. HSS - number one orthopedic hospital in US
2. Sloan-Kettering - number 2 cancer hospital in US
3. cornell - number 6 hospital in US

i call that comprehensive, not random. best program in NY, by far.

Have heard from UPMC, cornell, and UCI... Have you guys heard from
anyother California fellowships besides UCI and UCD??

FYI-there is a interventional pain fellowship spot Jan. 2011 that is still open at Medical College of Georgia.

Does anyone have an up-to-date review of either Univ Texas SW - San Antonio, Mount Sinai or Univ of Pittsburgh?

training at
1. HSS - number one orthopedic hospital in US
2. Sloan-Kettering - number 2 cancer hospital in US
3. cornell - number 6 hospital in US

i call that comprehensive, not random. best program in NY, by far.

Jeff-

Maybe the best fellowship in NY.

But look at wht you just mentioned...orthopedics, cancer, etc. Not Pain Medicine. It could be number 1 in psychiatry. Tht's not going to help you as an interventional pain physician.

Having said that, it's a good progrm in NY no doubt. All I was trying to tell the original poster was to not get down on thmselves. There are better prgrams out there....

Jeff-

Maybe the best fellowship in NY.

But look at wht you just mentioned...orthopedics, cancer, etc. Not Pain Medicine. It could be number 1 in psychiatry. Tht's not going to help you as an interventional pain physician.

Having said that, it's a good progrm in NY no doubt. All I was trying to tell the original poster was to not get down on thmselves. There are better prgrams out there....

you must be joking... the bread and butter of pain is spine and joints. HSS is ALL spine and joints, it's high volume private practice pain. then you have all kinds of advanced blocks and pumps at sloan - that's cancer. cornell gives you everything else - general pain, stims/pumps, procedures, etc.

what criteria are you using to rank programs?

you must be joking... the bread and butter of pain is spine and joints. HSS is ALL spine and joints, it's high volume private practice pain. then you have all kinds of advanced blocks and pumps at sloan - that's cancer. cornell gives you everything else - general pain, stims/pumps, procedures, etc.

what criteria are you using to rank programs?

I dont have to rank programs anymore;)

It's probably a good program. I think people know the pro/cons about the program from this website.

The original poster just needs to keep his head up and march on through the process. I just went through it. It's tough. But hey when you finally land the spot, it's a great feeling.

Also heard from Texas Tech and Case Western last week. Does anyone have recent info on Case Western's program?

Also heard from Texas Tech and Case Western last week. Does anyone have recent info on Case Western's program?

How did you hear from Case Western program?..phone call from program coordinator or an email?

I heard via phone call...it stinks as their coordinator said they are only interviewing on July 24th and I am on call that day so I'm not sure if I will be able to make the interview. Same thing goes for Texas Tech, interviewing on July 16 only and I am on call the night before the interview:(

I heard via phone call...it stinks as their coordinator said they are only interviewing on July 24th and I am on call that day so I'm not sure if I will be able to make the interview. Same thing goes for Texas Tech, interviewing on July 16 only and I am on call the night before the interview:(

Did you get any confirming email or just that phone call?...and hopefully someone will take ur call...dont worry!

Does anyone know whether tech is still sending out invites or have their candidates already been chosen?

Is anyone hearing from anywhere else? I'm still waiting on Wake and UVA. Has anyone heard from either of these programs?

Is anyone hearing from anywhere else? I'm still waiting on Wake and UVA. Has anyone heard from either of these programs?

I haven't heard anything from Wake or UVA. I've only heard from about 1/4 of the programs I've applied to, one way or the other. Its still early for some.

I didn't hear anything from any programs this week, not rejections or interviews. What's the deal?

havent heard of anything as of yet. applied to 9 programs. i have a fellow resident who's gotten 3 interviews already though.

tx tech already choose 18 folders that they plan on interviewing so i think if you havent heard from them. it may be too late.

tx tech already choose 18 folders that they plan on interviewing so i think if you havent heard from them. it may be too late.

Tech gave pretty short notice for a single interview day. I doubt all 18 will show up. I know I can't make it.

Does anyone ever call a program to check on the status of the position? Is that unheard of or inappropriate?

I called every program, or at least emailed them, about a week or two after I submitted my applications. It is surprising how many programs did not recieve all I sent (even if it was all sent as one package), and I'm not sure if they would have told me about the missing items or not.

Stanford just sent out invites via email today.

PainPsychMD, and the other residents who got interviews with Stanford already. I'd like to suggest you call the "Stanford Guest House" at 650-926-2800 for a GREAT price on a room. I checked their website, which said they didn't have any availabilities for that date, but it was available when I called. Excellent deal. No tax. Haven't been there yet so I can't comment on quality, but for one or two nights, I can deal with just about anything. Plus saving a few bucks here and there always helps.

Just wanted to share.

-Chris

PainPsychMD, and the other residents who got interviews with Stanford already. I'd like to suggest you call the "Stanford Guest House" at 650-926-2800 for a GREAT price on a room. I checked their website, which said they didn't have any availabilities for that date, but it was available when I called. Excellent deal. No tax. Haven't been there yet so I can't comment on quality, but for one or two nights, I can deal with just about anything. Plus saving a few bucks here and there always helps.

Just wanted to share.

-Chris

last year when I visited stanford i stayed a little ways away (10 min). I'd recommend priceline.com's 'name your own price'. It was like 50 bucks

I've heard nothing in the last 3 weeks from any fellowships, no interview offers, no rejections. Total silence. Has anyone heard anything in the past few weeks? If so, from where?

you will be happy not to go there.

I've heard from Wake Forest, UVA, Mayo Jax, Rush & Longwood Combined...

What's the deal with Rush? How about the Boston Children's/BID/B&W Longwood Combined program? Anyone have any insight to these programs?

Thanks.

It's slow now because all the new fellows just started keeping coordinators and program directors busy.

Does anyone have any insight into any of the 3 Mayo clinic programs? Mayo Rochester has the most information on their website regarding their curriculum, but the other two websites are rather vague. I would appreciate any constructive information that is out there...

Thanks.

I have limited information. I do know that if you are a psychiatrist, the Mayo program in Arizona will not consider you.

I have limited information. I do know that if you are a psychiatrist, the Mayo program in Arizona will not consider you.

I have also recently "heard" - and I can't really verify this - that both the Mayo Fl & AZ programs really only consider internal anesthesia applicants. While everyone is welcome to apply, you may spend the time more wisely as their application takes some extra effort. Its up to you if you think its worth it.