Fellowship info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKnox49

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just wanted to know how much your medical school performance effects your fellowship match. Also, is there any preference towards people who do gensurg vs. ortho? I'm in an Army scholarship and I predict that I'll have to work it off as one of those before getting into plastics. Any input/advice? Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are very good questions. Your USMLE scores go on the application and I think they have you send your transcripts in as well. I did 17 interviews and not one of the people who interviewed me asked about my USMLE scores or my medical school grades. They did ask about research that I did during medical school and a couple other things on my CV.

As far as a preference for the different specialties entering the match I don't know. I will say that the vast majority of the people I met on the trail were general surgery trained. There were a handful of ENT people. There were a few OMFS people. There was one neurosurgeon. I didn't meet any ortho people but that doesn't mean that they didn't apply and weren't interviewing.