Fellowship Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolff313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:
I will be a PGY1 this summer at an IM community program. At this point, I am interested in pursuing a fellowship, perhaps rheum or A/I. My program has a good track record of placing graduates in these fellowships. However, my question is competitiveness. What makes a competitive fellowship applicant? Are Board Scores a significant factor at this stage? Or research/electives/conferences and/or recommendations looked upon more highly? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellowships are always harder from a community program, but you can definitely still do it in rheum. Bear in mind that rates of non-matching are going up pretty quickly and were actually one of the highest (though for various reasons that doesn't mean it's the most competitive). It's currently a mid-competitive specialty, where you could get in without research from a community program but won't have your pick of cities and should apply broadly. A&I is tough because there are so few spots. It was crazy competitive a little while ago and I think it's still moreso than rheum, but I think they're tracking more closely now.

Scores are treated pretty similarly to residency - you generally need to be above a threshold to be considered (what that is depends on the program), higher is better, and it's not the only thing that matters. Try do do well on your Step 3's but they'll probably look most closely at Step 2, which you've already done, so there's no reason to stress about it. It's in the past, so plan accordingly.

It may be good to do an outside elective to get a rec or to show them you're a good candidate - if you're hoping for the latter, I'd recommend going to a program that you could reasonably match at. Don't do an elective at Hopkins hoping to match there - it's probably not going to happen. If you can impress them and get a letter that's great, but if you don't have research and are coming from a community program you could spend that time more wisely at a mid tier rheum program that would actually consider your application. Don't forget about your home program even if it doesn't have a rheum fellowship - do some rotations there and be sure to impress the rheumatologists you work with. Be likeable, nice, and let them know your intentions.

Research is definitely a plus and is essentially required for the top ten or twenty programs, but you can still get in to rheum without it. Try to at least get a case report or something along those lines so you can say you tried. Research outside of rheum is also valuable and most of my research was actually in other areas.

I personally don't think anyone cares about conference attendance - it just doesn't say very much about you. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go - it's good to see what the specialty is like, learn some stuff about practice, network - but don't expect it to matter a whole lot. It's definitely good to present a poster at ACR if you can, but that's not "conference attendance" that's "research."

Recommendations are very important. There was a rash of, "I went to a good program, did research, had great scores, didn't match" posts after this year and I think that was because it was more competitive + the person may have had a poison pill LOR. Both rheum and A/I are small programs that will be interviewing a few dozen apps, so you can expect them to read all your recs.

Something you didn't mention that could be impactful is a chief year. It gives you more time to do research, another year to squeeze in an elective and get some good stories for your PS, and it demonstrates that A. Someone in your program actually believes you have leadership qualities / can be trusted / are in the top few percent of your residency class (which is better than them making some generic platitude in your recs) and B. You actually care about teaching and leadership (as opposed to just saying, "I love teaching and I'm a natural leader - trust me I swear it's true!" in your PS).

One final thought - just be a good resident. It's easy to think that your application is made up of all these components and you should just gunner your way to having each be strong. At the end of the day, though, you'll need a letter from your PD, letters from docs that you saw on the wards, people to funnel you research projects, other residents to talk you up to whatever connections wherever they may have them, someone to give you a shot at being a chief, etc. Be a good doctor and support your fellow residents - that kind of stuff really does have an intangible effect in my opinion.

Here is my take on being a competitive A/I applicant from my experience:

1. Applicants personality is good fit for the specific A/I program. A/I fellowships are small (usually 1 to 2 fellows a year), so you really depend up on one another and need to mesh. If someone is not a good fit, then the rest of your CV doesn't matter (of course, exceptions exist).

2. Letters of recommendation. These are worth their weight in gold. I was worried about this aspect. Whenever I asked attendings for feedback, it was very positive. I always felt like I could have done things better, so I was concerned that attendings were being nice in person and their true thoughts would come out in the LORs. All I can say is whatever was written truly influenced the A/I programs as I was fortunate to have offers from multiple programs.

3. Research is the lion's share of A/I fellowship from my personal experience. Currently serving as a sub-investigator for a few clinical trials, designing/writing multiple grants/completing a 500+ subject quality improvement study, and 8+ clinical publications during first year of fellowship.

4. Away electives are key. It gives them a chance to get to know you and you a chance to know them.

5. I did not find usmle scores were significant at all. I passed all of them on the first try, but did not score a extremely well.

6. I think completing a residency at a university program is a benefit. However, I came from a community program.

I hope this helps. All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the comprehensive and thoughtful responses! I understand you have other responsibilities and I am very thankful that you took the time to respond. I am definitely taking ALL of this advice and will utilize it to the best of my ability! Thank you soo much!

Thank you very much for the comprehensive and thoughtful responses! I understand you have other responsibilities and I am very thankful that you took the time to respond. I am definitely taking ALL of this advice and will utilize it to the best of my ability! Thank you soo much!
I realize this is an old thread but are publications (other than case reports) important in A/I? I have presentations in a regional conference but not national conferences. Also I'm an IMG requiring a visa so this process is beyond nerve wracking