Fellowship admissions statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ischemia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

In reading about the difficulty of getting into fellowships, I have found that most everyone describes it qualitatively. That is, I seem to not be able to find any actual numbers, but mere assessments such as "competitive," etc. I am very unfamiliar with the fellowship application process, but is there an organization that keeps track of how many applicants applied for how many spots, etc.? I guess I'm sort of looking for the MSAR of fellowship admissions.

Anyone who could point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

AMA's Freida can give you an idea of the applicant to fellowship position ratios for most fellowships. Unfortunately, IM fellowships do not all participate in a match style system and tracking can be difficult. On thing you have to keep in mind though is that fellowship applications are not like general residency apps. Board scores and med school grades aren't used as exclusion criteria to such a degree. The emphasis is really placed upon your "on-the-job" performance during your residency, networking, and overall quality of your application. This is much harder to objectively quantify.

Yup, I agree with the previous poster. It is extremely difficult to come by avg "numbers" for fellowship applicants, because unlike med school app's, fellows are not evaluated based on numbers. Here is a good article by the ACP on how fellow applicants are evaluated:
http://www.acponline.org/journals/news/jul-aug00/fellowship.htm