Feeling really down!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did somewhat OK on the PCAT. The composite score was 71 so I will have to retake this maybe in August to improve on the areas that I pretty much bombed. :(

To make matters worse, I now found out that my Biology I and II credit hrs will not meet pre-pharm requirements (had this hovering over my head for a while now when I learned there was a possibility that it would not transfer) for Fall '10. I won't be able to fit this into my school schedule for the Spring and Summer so I am at a lost right now.

I decided that it would be best to just make this my last semester at my CC and transfer to a University and take the courses I need there along with some upper level courses. So now I am gonna be set back a whole year because of this and it was not even like I took the wrong class at that time, I was following the school's catalog for their pre-pharmacy program. Well I am only 21 so I am not trying to feel so down about it since I am still pretty young compared to the average age of the P1s at most pharmacy schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a similar situation. I'm 24 though, and I have a BS in math/science. My PCAT was 73, but only Bio (40) dragged it down. I also have to take the whole Spring and Org II in the summer to complete my pre- req's which, to my mind, will postpone my acceptance for the Fall of 2010. I think re-taking the PCAT in August after refreshing our minds will put us both back in the game. You'll be fine!

I know how you feel. I was feeling down a few weeks earlier too. I had gone to four interviews and only got in to ONE so far. And that one happens to be across the country (so far away from family and home). Yucks really bad.

I scored lower than you on the PCAT and still made it so don't let the PCAT score drag you down.
But like the saying goes, when a door closes, another one opens. So just hang in there. You will make it in no time. In the end, everything will work out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Delano - a 71 composite isn't a bad score at all my friend. Keep your head up and be proud of that. Only 29% did better than you on the exam. Look for additional schools that might accept your credits, you obviously know the material.

If it does set you back a year, so be it. In the grand scheme of life, a year isn't that much to sacrafice to be happy.

I did somewhat OK on the PCAT. The composite score was 71 so I will have to retake this maybe in August to improve on the areas that I pretty much bombed. :(

To make matters worse, I now found out that my Biology I and II credit hrs will not meet pre-pharm requirements (had this hovering over my head for a while now when I learned there was a possibility that it would not transfer) for Fall '10. I won't be able to fit this into my school schedule for the Spring and Summer so I am at a lost right now.

I decided that it would be best to just make this my last semester at my CC and transfer to a University and take the courses I need there along with some upper level courses. So now I am gonna be set back a whole year because of this and it was not even like I took the wrong class at that time, I was following the school's catalog for their pre-pharmacy program. Well I am only 21 so I am not trying to feel so down about it since I am still pretty young compared to the average age of the P1s at most pharmacy schools.

Delano - a 71 composite isn't a bad score at all my friend. Keep your head up and be proud of that. Only 29% did better than you on the exam. Look for additional schools that might accept your credits, you obviously know the material.

If it does set you back a year, so be it. In the grand scheme of life, a year isn't that much to sacrafice to be happy.

True. I really want to improve the score though so I think I might retake. Worst case scenario I might be set back a year but then maybe I can spread out the remaining pre-reqs instead of trying to cram them into Spring and Summer.

Also think about it this way, do you really want to spend the next semester or two cramming all those prereqs? Like you said, now you can spread them out some, and have a life on the side! You're young. Enjoy life. I took an extra year getting my B.S, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. A lot of people feel like they're "getting behind" but don't think of it that way - you're not racing with anyone. Do it on your own pace. Even better, you're young! I'm 23 now - take a year and you're STILL ahead of me. :laugh:

You did better than I did on the PCAT! I'm pretty sure a 70 and up is doing pretty good. I barely meet the cut off for most schools with my 60. ;) You're going to do fine.

Which schools won't your biology transfer to? I definitely second what was said about looking at other schools that might take it. If you haven't found out if all of your schools accept your credits, call them and ask. Look at schools that are out of state (but near you, if you are afraid to move too far). I'm adding some more schools after my grades this semester, because my GPA should be thrown up into the 3.2 range and there is one school that I'm crossing my fingers for.

If you have to take a semester off, do it. I wish I would have taken my prereqs in 3 years so I could stay here at Purdue, but it's also going to be nice to finally leave northern Indiana for once. This is my second time applying, and I messed my first one up by trying to take all of my prereqs in a short amount of time, which caused my GPA to be distressed.

So take a deep breath, think of a plan for both scenarios (getting in and not getting in), then enjoy your Turkey Day festivities. It's going to be okay. :D

What CC are you going to delano2000? I see you're in SA?

I used to live there, I'm just curious.

Hey I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know that getting started with pharmacy school is tempting and exciting, but your undergrad years are something that you should really cherish and enjoy before they're over. I went straight to a university to get my bachelor's because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and now that I am in business school I really really miss college (undergrad). I'm 22 and I'm applying for this cycle as well, and a large percentage of applicants are even older than I am so we have lots of time! Plus, it's better to figure all this stuff out your 2nd or 3rd year of college rather than months before graduation because you have time to fit all the pre reqs in with your degree. I still had to take pharmacy pre reqs after I graduated because I was pre-health in general so the requirements were a little different. I think you will have a blast if you transfer into a 4 year institution and really take advantage of the college life. A 71 on the PCAT shouldn't stop you from getting accepted this year with your GPA, but if you do have additional pre reqs I would honestly enjoy the extra year and have fun:D

So which school said your Biology classes don't meet their requirements?

If one school mentioned this, then it doesn't mean all other schools will say the same thing. Call around to see what else can be done. I'm pretty sure something can be worked out...Meanwhile, I'd still take the "required" Biology I/II to be safe. Otherwise, I'm sure your GPA is avg, PCAT is decent, and your EC's are good. Man, you don't have much to worry about. Keep your head up!

Thanks everyone. I looked into UH and UT and it does not transfer. I will have to retake the courses so that way I do not get back in this situation next year. Yeah it has its cons but there are a lot more pros and I definitely would not feel as stressed out as I am now and will be next semester. I don't think I will change my classes for the Spring but after then I would have 4-6 more classes to take including Bio.

I know my GPA is pretty strong and after this semester it should not change much but it might drop by 0.01. So it should still be stable. I will just focus on improving ECs and getting some work experience as a tech and make sure I kick ass in the August PCAT next year.

I see your story and think that you are kind of lucky even though you don't realize it now. College is way more fun than work. The cool thing about college is that you are surrounded by people who are roughly your age and who have similar interests. That means lots of opportunities for socializing. When you get out to the world of work, a lot of people have commitments outside of work so they just can't drop everything and do something fun with you.

You'll have your whole life to work but college is a unique experience. Do what you have to to be competitive but don't forget to have some fun and hang out with friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see your story and think that you are kind of lucky even though you don't realize it now. College is way more fun than work. The cool thing about college is that you are surrounded by people who are roughly your age and who have similar interests. That means lots of opportunities for socializing. When you get out to the world of work, a lot of people have commitments outside of work so they just can't drop everything and do something fun with you.

You'll have your whole life to work but college is a unique experience. Do what you have to to be competitive but don't forget to have some fun and hang out with friends.

Thanks diastole...Honestly, I hate school so that is why I was trying to get this done so early.:laugh:

Thanks diastole...Honestly, I hate school so that is why I was trying to get this done so early.:laugh:

I'm in a similar situation because I'm 19 and applying for admittance this summer for Fall 2011. All we've ever known is school so we just can't wait to get out of there. But in the same sense, we're going to look back after we're pharmacists and realize that we had our whole lives to make a paycheck.

I try to remember that when I get down-- it helps me anyways. Just remember-- they can't keep you out forever!

Thanks Pharm B. Yea it kinda sucks but who to tell maybe the following year I will get to interview with you.:p

AStudentDoctor- I get what your saying. Sometimes I feel like taking a few years off and try and enjoy life but I think not. Yea so maybe you and I will be competing for spots at some pharmacy schools. :D

I love the concept of a gap year. Maybe if I have some money when my daughter graduates high school, I'll give her some and tell to go explore the world. I would have loved to do that when I was young. I suppose the Peace Corps was kind of similar except I was in just one country rather than moving around. Time off can be a good thing if you do something that helps you grow. If all you are going to be doing is working a low wage job or watching TV all day, you'd be better off staying in school.

What is it about school that you hate? You have a good GPA so I was just wondering is it the actual work and learning or is it just the physical school that you attend? I can't imagine someone who really really hates school wanting to go into a 4 year doctoral program. lol Honestly... I hate taking classes at my local CC because it feels no different than high school and it's not really the "college" feel, but I love the learning process so it isn't so bad. I really think once you transfer into a bachelor's program or get into pharm school you might like it = )

Hey Del,

I know it's easier said than done but you're young and have plenty of time ahead of you. I had the same problem---didnt do so well w/ my first PCAT. No prep whatsoever, just took it as a freshmen lol, yeah, I know, stupid of me. Then a year later, I was in the process of applying to couple schools that didnt require PCAT but they made the process living hell....telling me my classes didnt correspond to theirs. Needless-to-say, it was stressful. Im fortunate enough to have sisters whom Im close to so they kept my head steady and told me to slow down---no need to rush, it isnt a race. if it's meant for you to be, you'll get it REGARDLESS of how long it takes and what-not.

I love school, I could study about 4 different areas if I could stay in school longer.

A 71 isn't that bad, was there an specific area that you did poorly in? I bombed my QA portion the first time because I was blessed with a splitting headache midway through it. I rocked it the second time because I knew what to expect and how to study.

As for your bio problem... it sucks, but that is why on here I have recommended that people do not do their science pre-reqs at a CC. Sure it may be fine for your particular area, but I know just as many who do not consider CC science courses to be of the same rigor as a universities.

That being said, couldn't you take it over the summer? I know at my school you could take a full year of bio from May to August.

And don't feel bad about having to wait a year in order to retake a class. I have been kicked harder down more times than I can count, but I've always gotten up and have been stronger.

One of my arguments in my essays, pertaining to my grades, is that I have experienced failure. I have been about as low as I can go, so when bad things happen I know how to climb out of them. It is also motivation to never fail again. Those who haven't failed before do not have that skills and cannot learn from them. Use it as a learning experience and come back fighting harder than ever.

I would be trying to get a permit and enroll in them both at the same time. I would explain to them my situation and see what happens. The worst that can happen is they say no.

As for your bio problem... it sucks, but that is why on here I have recommended that people do not do their science pre-reqs at a CC. Sure it may be fine for your particular area, but I know just as many who do not consider CC science courses to be of the same rigor as a universities.

I don't think the schools are refusing to accept his bio credits because they were done at a CC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Del did the non-majors Bio courses. I'm applying to some of the same schools he is, from a community college, but with the majors bio courses.

Is that right, D?

Where did you take Bio I and II, I'm in Texas also, I'm taking 1407 and 1408 I think, Major's Bio.

I don't think the schools are refusing to accept his bio credits because they were done at a CC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Del did the non-majors Bio courses. I'm applying to some of the same schools he is, from a community college, but with the majors bio courses.

Is that right, D?

You're correct, because I'm taking majors bio and applying to Texas Tech next year, and they don't care whether it was taken at CC or a university. BUT for 2011 application a 3000 level course is required.

Is that right, D?

gotcha, my bad then.

I just can't fathom how CC science courses are considered acceptable elsewhere. Your CCs must be vastly different from the ones we have

I love school, I could study about 4 different areas if I could stay in school longer.

A 71 isn't that bad, was there an specific area that you did poorly in? I bombed my QA portion the first time because I was blessed with a splitting headache midway through it. I rocked it the second time because I knew what to expect and how to study.

That being said, couldn't you take it over the summer? I know at my school you could take a full year of bio from May to August.

And don't feel bad about having to wait a year in order to retake a class. I have been kicked harder down more times than I can count, but I've always gotten up and have been stronger.

One of my arguments in my essays, pertaining to my grades, is that I have experienced failure. I have been about as low as I can go, so when bad things happen I know how to climb out of them. It is also motivation to never fail again. Those who haven't failed before do not have that skills and cannot learn from them. Use it as a learning experience and come back fighting harder than ever.

Good post.

And really, from the human side of things, we all struggle...then we pick ourselves up!! Nothing is impossible. Make a plan and stick with it. Don't even worry about losing time. However, if time is an issue, then you should reconsider pharmacy school and find something else to do.

gotcha, my bad then.

I just can't fathom how CC science courses are considered acceptable elsewhere. Your CCs must be vastly different from the ones we have

I don't find it hard to believe, except maybe if you're applying to harvard medical or something. I hear USC looks down on CC courses, but I know they've taken some CC students before.

I don't find it hard to believe, except maybe if you're applying to harvard medical or something. I hear USC looks down on CC courses, but I know they've taken some CC students before.

CCs where I'm at are for the people who couldn't get into a university. No one accepts science credits (except for some nursing programs).

hey i'm pretty much in the same situation as you. CC student. same PCAT composite. & applied this year, but most likely set back 1 year due to prerequisite course issues.

it sucks since i have an interview next week to the one school i've applied to. i've decided i'm just going to go to the interview anyway and get some experience in the process :/

I was thinking the same thing about the Bio for non majors, but no pharmacy school accepts that so I thought I would sound stupid for mentioning it.

I've never heard of a pharmacy school denying CC credit though. UF even accepts online courses in the sciences as long as they are the same numbering system that Florida state schools use. My pre-health adviser told us not to take sciences at CC's if we wanted to get into medical school, but that's totally different.

If you really wanted to go to Pharm School, you should have done your research and set yourself up with good/correct information.

Most of the top pharmacy programs (just like medical programs, dental programs, optometry, graduate programs, etc...) do not accept Community College credit because of this simple rule:

1.) Most classes are small (< 30 people in size), and the difficulty level is the same as some high school classes. Therefore it's very easy to "pad" your GPA.

This even happens at a regular University to University level... my friend could only transfer 1/2 of his credits earned at UT as an undergraduate when he transferred to Stanford. UT accepted 0 of his Stanford credits when he transferred back to UT...:idea:

Good luck on retaking the PCAT, I wish you the best for the Fall 2010 application round.

Most of the top pharmacy programs (just like medical programs, dental programs, optometry, graduate programs, etc...) do not accept Community College credit because of this simple rule:

1.) Most classes are small (< 30 people in size), and the difficulty level is the same as some high school classes. Therefore it's very easy to "pad" your GPA.

This even happens at a regular University to University level... my friend could only transfer 1/2 of his credits earned at UT as an undergraduate when he transferred to Stanford. UT accepted 0 of his Stanford credits when he transferred back to UT...:idea:

Do you have a reference for the bolded statement? That sounds like total hearsay or generalization.

Regarding the transfer between universities, I've never heard of a total transfer of credits from ANY university to another without headache. A friend who just graduated from Old Dominion University transferred there from Virginia Tech. ODU took hardly any of his engineering credits, despite VT being a higher-ranked school (in many categories).

The thing is when I took my Bio course a few years ago, the only they offered was the one for non-science majors. I did not know this at the time. I was looking to do 4 different courses Summer I & II so I would not be able to fit Bio in the Summer and I am already registered for 17 credit hrs for the Spring and the max is 19 credit hrs, Bio itself is 4 credit hrs. I thought it through and I think this will be the best step for me.

What is it about school that you hate? You have a good GPA so I was just wondering is it the actual work and learning or is it just the physical school that you attend? I can't imagine someone who really really hates school wanting to go into a 4 year doctoral program. lol Honestly... I hate taking classes at my local CC because it feels no different than high school and it's not really the "college" feel, but I love the learning process so it isn't so bad. I really think once you transfer into a bachelor's program or get into pharm school you might like it = )

It is not the learning that gets to me. It's just the overall environment, the constant tests and all that gets on my nerves at times. Being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel is always my motivation so I will work towards my goal. Just not a big fan of the journey, but I do appreciate the ride.

Is that right, D?

Absolutely right.

If you really wanted to go to Pharm School, you should have done your research and set yourself up with good/correct information.

Good luck on retaking the PCAT, I wish you the best for the Fall 2010 application round.

Just to clarify something, the error with the wrong course taken was not a case of me doing something wrong. I followed the school's schedule and when I took the course, that was the only one that was offered. They changed it a year after and I was already doing A&P. I did not realize that I would have been in this predicament. I started questioning it when I saw that all the schools stated that they require Gen. Bio and not the one I took.

The thing is when I took my Bio course a few years ago, the only they offered was the one for non-science majors. I did not know this at the time. I was looking to do 4 different courses Summer I & II so I would not be able to fit Bio in the Summer and I am already registered for 17 credit hrs for the Spring and the max is 19 credit hrs, Bio itself is 4 credit hrs. I thought it through and I think this will be the best step for me.

Well if it makes you feel any better I had a little Johnnie in your honor tonight. Tis a ****ty situation.

I'd be borked if no one accepted CC credits, because I'd have had to take 18 units of open university at UCD, and that's assuming I could get into their 5 open slots for open university A&P.

I shudder at the thought, that could've added like 2 years to my application cycle, heh.

If you're talking about UT-Austin then I really hate to say this but it's your own fault. You should have looked up the Texas Common Numbering system and find out that no college or CC offers 2 bio classes that transfer to UT.

And to echo what someone else in this thread said, it's true that most pharmacy schools look down on community college courses especially when they are science. CC's generally offer lower class education than what a real university would offer. Trust me I know, my junior and senior year of high school I took classes at a local CC in Texas and all of the big universities I applied to told me they would accept only 3 out of the 27 hours I had completed at maximum. They don't like CC classes and there's no denying it. Pharmacy schools like their own students first.

it's true that most pharmacy schools look down on community college courses especially when they are science.

[citation needed].

And maybe Texas is totally different than CA in respect to CC--->University, but all of the universities, Stanford included, accept full credit from CCs for transfer. Obviously some classes aren't on the articulation agreement, like you need an actual A&P class, not the Principles A&P class for Nursing, etc. Some universities, like UCD, UCI and UCR even offer what's called a Transfer Admissions Agreement, whereupon completion of an IGETC education pattern, you're guaranteed admission. From a CC. To a university. To a top ranked university. I find it hard to believe that Texas would be dramatically different, but if it is, that's really sad.

Since we're bringing personal anecdote into this also, I have two degrees from two nationally ranked, top tier schools, and noticed VERY little difference in quality of instruction between ARC and UCD or Stanford. The only difference, really, was that the instructor actually taught the course, instead of a teaching assistant.

[citation needed].

Don't be stupid, you really think a college is going to openly tell that kind of stuff on a website?

How about you do what I did and go out and speak to Deans of pharmacy schools? I spoke to the Dean of OU, SWOSU, Texas Tech, Arizona, UCSF, and what I believe was the Dean at Midwestern and they all said the same thing to me that they take their curriculum very serious and that community college courses are looked down upon when it comes to science and math.

Don't be stupid, you really think a college is going to openly tell that kind of stuff on a website?

How about you do what I did and go out and speak to Deans of pharmacy schools? I spoke to the Dean of OU, SWOSU, Texas Tech, Arizona, UCSF, and what I believe was the Dean at Midwestern and they all said the same thing to me that they take their curriculum very serious and that community college courses are looked down upon when it comes to science and math.

Oh, so SIX pharmacy schools constitutes your idea of "most"?

Here is irrefutable proof that, indeed, a school WILL actually put it on their website when they prefer 4 year to 2 year.

Check it out!

We recommend that most of your pre-pharmacy required courses be taken at 4 year schools.
source: http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html.

See how that works?

Next you can explain how the hell you think 6 out of ~115 schools constitutes most.

If you're talking about UT-Austin then I really hate to say this but it's your own fault. You should have looked up the Texas Common Numbering system and find out that no college or CC offers 2 bio classes that transfer to UT.

If you're referring to bio classes that will qualify for the pharmacy school at UT, my community college offers classes that fit the requirement.

This is the school-by-school list of what fulfills their pre-pharmacy requirements.
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/students/advising/equivs/equiv.html

I need to look it up, but isn't Texas one of the states where an Associates Degree from a Texas CC assures transfer of most credit?

Last edited:
If you're referring to bio classes that will qualify for the pharmacy school at UT, my community college offers classes that fit the requirement.

I need to look it up, but isn't Texas one of the states where an Associates Degree from a Texas CC assures transfer of most credit?

Yes but most people don't wait around the two years to get that associates degree and that's how they get screwed.

Oh, so SIX pharmacy schools constitutes your idea of "most"?

Here is irrefutable proof that, indeed, a school WILL actually put it on their website when they prefer 4 year to 2 year.

Check it out!

source: http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html.

See how that works?

Next you can explain how the hell you think 6 out of ~115 schools constitutes most.

It doesn't matter, 6 accredited pharmacy schools had their Dean tell me the same thing. You even agree with me!

So it's true that CC classes are looked down upon, what else is there to say? I also said "top" by the way, another example of an SDN user just reading what they want to read.

EDIT: Also, I'M in pharmacy school and you're still pre-professional. I've done the research, big boy.

I'm "in" too... there's no difference between matriculated and started when it comes to a conversation not at all relevant to material learned while IN pharmacy school. It's comical that you think it matters, though.

Six doesn't mean most, which you apparently don't understand, still.

Just because the Deans of six schools tell you something doesn't make it a universal truth.

Whether I agree with you that CC credits are looked down upon or not isn't in contention here, although you'd like it to be. What's in contention here is this statement:

And to echo what someone else in this thread said, it's true that most pharmacy schools look down on community college courses especially when they are science.
This is not at all a true statement. 6 out of ~115, in this universe, does not constitute most. You're taking centralized, specific information and attempting to apply it to a broad base, this is one part of a sample error, and you should know that.

I'm "in" too... there's no difference between matriculated and started when it comes to a conversation not at all relevant to material learned while IN pharmacy school. It's comical that you think it matters, though.

Six doesn't mean most, which you apparently don't understand, still.

Just because the Deans of six schools tell you something doesn't make it a universal truth.

Whether I agree with you that CC credits are looked down upon or not isn't in contention here, although you'd like it to be. What's in contention here is this statement:

This is not at all a true statement.

It certainly is true, why do you think it is that transfer acceptance rates are so low in pharmacy school?