feeling overwhelmed

JMU07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm scheduled to take the OAT in mid-May and I want to start studying soon. However, I have NO idea where to start, I feel like there is a ton of info that I need to go over and I'm not sure what to do first, not subject-wise but study-wise. Should I take practice tests first and see what I need to improve on and spend most of my time looking at that? How can I balance studying for the OAT and studying for my classes? (actually, the only class I feel guilty taking time away from is Ochem) Do you have any advice? If there is a particular thread here you can direct me to that would be awesome as well.

I really appreciate your input! I'm applying for fall 2008 so I have plenty of time to retake, but I'd like to do well the first time (duh) and not have to worry about it anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

if your applying for fall 2008 why are u taking it in may? why dont u take the summer to study everything and feel more confident than rush things and do poorly?

I thought about that, but I'm taking classes over the summer too so it wouldn't really make a difference. If the time comes and I don't feel prepared, I'll reschedule it.

I think in May is a fine idea. That way, if you don't feel great about your score, you can re-take it, and still have everything in really early, which will cut down on your stress in the long run.

I took it in March last year, and just took my Spring Break to study for it. I felt pretty good about my score, so then I was done!

I honestly didn't study much, so I might not be the best for studying tips, but I would think to start out with a practice test or so to find strengths and weaknesses and assess what you need to focus on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know exactly how you feel. Don't take time away from ochem; if you do well in the class you really won't need to study for the ochem section. when the time came around for me to take the OAT, I barely spent a few hours going over some of the reactions from ochem (got a 370). The question's you'll find on your ochem midterms and finals should be much more difficult and in depth than the OAT's ochem sections. In terms of where to start, I dont know man. That depends on whichever way works best for you.

For me, I went through the subjects and took notes on everything and THEN tried taking some quizzes. Then I went over every problem I got wrong and redid them until I got them correct AND thoroughly understood them. This method works best when you have extra time or don't need to study for all the oat sections (so do well in ochem class!).

Also, May is fine if you're going to be busy all throughout summer anyway. I find that it's even harder int he summer since everything is so much more rushed. I don't think anyone ever feels prepared enough but just feel confident in doing whatever your best effort is. No one needs a PERFECT score.

Good luck!
-Jeff

JMU07, everyone feels overwhelmed at first. After all it is a 4 hour and some minutes test that requires a lot of knowledge BUT you WILL get through it. As far as taking practice tests right away, it depends on whether or not you want a shock (possibly...depending on how much knowledge you have retained). I took a practice test before I started studying and it was a downer (I got a 260 overall I think). But, it did give me more motivation to study. So if you know that taking a practice test wouldn't put you down and you have a few of them, go ahead and take one. That way you'll have an idea what to expect on the actual exam.

I studied for the OAT over semester break and took it in February. That means that I studied for a little over a month. It was practically impossible for me to study over the semester since I had a lot of stuff going on. You definitely want to get the Kaplan OAT book that has review questions in it. They have 2 full length tests and review questions on each section of the OAT. These questions will probably be a little harder than the ones on the exam, but they are great practice. Another good idea is to check out the SAT subject books and/or the AP Test review books. I used them and the Kaplan book and got a TS 330 and AA 330. I would've gotten a higher score if it wasn't for the organic chem and physics sections (I got a 380 on the biology portion). :( I thought the organic section was not good because it focused a lot on knowing the names of reactions, not necessarily the mechanisms by which they occur (how does knowing the name of a rxn help you at all?).

I agree with the others who said for you to take some time and review the material. You only want to have to take the test once. Study for it and you'll do just that. Another good idea is to take the sheet that has the required concepts for the OAT and check off each concept as you review it, that way you won't miss anything. Good luck!

i'm in the same boat u are in jmu07. i agree with RSLilly in that may is fine and doable. i was planning on taking the OAT in april but decided i'm not ready (and it will be too hectic with finals and all) so i moved it to mid-May. i don't want to push it off into late summer because if i have too retake it will be in august, which is still in the early apps. but my definite goal right now is to be ready by may (i really don't want to worry about this over the summer).

as far as my studying is going, i'm reading thru all my gen chem and bio notes thoroughly and physics (which i am really worried about). so far i've only bought the kaplan book for tests but thinking about getting oat achiever. u definitely need to give urself a break from all studying ever now and then. overstudying and overwhelming will make u go crazy.

thanks for the replies, guys! I really appreciate all of your ideas. :D

The sheet that was mentioned with all of the major concepts - do you know where can I find that?