Feeling discouraged after Kaplan Diagnostic

MonolithSADM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So tonight I took the very first Diagnostic test for the Kaplan Prep course that I am doing.

I sat down and did the test pretty much cold and did the best that I could. The diagnostic came back with a score of 280...:(

I am feeling pretty down right now. I feel like I didn't even get a good representation of my abilities at this point. I was completely unaware that you can use the noteboard on the tests, as well as a couple other things.

Am I in bad shape at this point? The course starts in a few weeks. I am now looking for other study materials. I have seen OAT Destroyer and Chad's videos mentioned on this forum. Would using both of these resources as well as the Kaplan course be total overkill?

Also, does anyone have anything regarding the first practice tests they took? I need something to help cheer myself up.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the Kaplan course is the structured internet based course with live instruction. Also, Orgoman has some different packages of study material. Is the OAT Destroyer fairly comprehensive in all areas of the test? I was thinking about getting the package with the Math Destroyer as well. Math has always been a weaker area for me, and I always need to get more exposure to material and reps doing problems.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 280 is not a bad score to start with...it's your first one...you need to study and just continue taking prac tests

Don't be discouraged just yet. It is just the diagnostic test.

I took the Kaplan course and I didn't feel that it helped me, but that is just me. I hope it helps you though. I had taken the OAT 3 times using just Kaplan resources and I did poorly. The 4th time I didn't use it at all except the notes I made for the Biology portion from it. I used mainly Chads videos and Crack the OAT. The best advice I could give would be do as many practice problems as possible.

Don't be discouraged just yet. It is just the diagnostic test.

I took the Kaplan course and I didn't feel that it helped me, but that is just me. I hope it helps you though. I had taken the OAT 3 times using just Kaplan resources and I did poorly. The 4th time I didn't use it at all except the notes I made for the Biology portion from it. I used mainly Chads videos and Crack the OAT. The best advice I could give would be do as many practice problems as possible.

My plan at this point is to do Kaplan's course and get the OAT Destroyer along with the Math Destroyer.

Does anyone have any comments on Orgoman's study material that I mentioned above? Worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also just started the Kaplan course and got a 280 on my diagnostic. My kaplan instructor said that I should be able to get a score of 330 as long as I study and keep up with the course. To be honest, I was expecting to do way worse on the diagnostic so I was pretty pleased.

I used the kaplan on demand course and the oat destroyer. My diagnostic was a 300 and I got a 340 on the OAT so those two things really do help.