Feedback and Path Before Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothyBoi

Reaction score
Oy,
I know the cycle isn't over, but I'm starting to find the holes in my application. My GPA is a 3.975 overall with a 4.0 in the sciences (except for physics 2, which I'm taking in the Spring). I also performed a dental internship in Argentina last Spring and I have a bachelor's in Spanish. I have more than enough shadowing hours, along with extra-curriculars. I was part of my friend's honors thesis in which we performed analysis on bacteria using PCR. These are the good things, in my estimation. I had two interviews prior to December out of 11 total applications. To date, I have not received a hard rejection but have been wait-listed at one school that interviewed me and then another school that I have yet to interview at.

I really have only been pursuing dentistry for less than a year hardcore. I thought my story about how my trip to Argentina showed that after looking for so long, I found my path. So this is a strike against. Also, my DAT was a 19 overall. This is good, but not great.

Can anyone assess my actual chances?

Also, if I were to reapply, should I pursue a Master's in Biology (which I'm in a favorable position to do), or gain more strictly-dental experience by becoming a dental assistant?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake your DAT more than anything because having that high of a GPA does not correlate to an average score of 19. This shows schools that perhaps there was grade inflation going on at your undergrad, as you got As in all of your science classes, but you could not perform at that same level on a standardized test. If you have to reapply, retake your DAT and aim for 21-22+. I think retaking might help more than a Master's.

Reactions: 1 user
I would retake your DAT more than anything because having that high of a GPA does not correlate to an average score of 19. This shows schools that perhaps there was grade inflation going on at your undergrad, as you got As in all of your science classes, but you could not perform at that same level on a standardized test. If you have to reapply, retake your DAT and aim for 21-22+. I think retaking might help more than a Master's.
At this point, it would be too late to retake for this cycle, correct? If you were in my position, what else would you do besides retake the DAT in order to bolster my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, it would be too late to retake for this cycle, correct? If you were in my position, what else would you do besides retake the DAT in order to bolster my application?
Yeah it's too late for this cycle, and I wouldn't do anything much besides that. Continue volunteering and shadowing (to some commitment) and perhaps take some upper division science courses at a 4-year university to help show that you can handle the rigor of dental school. Examples could be like Virology, Immunology, Cell Physiology, Animal Physiology, Mammalogy, Endocrinology, etc.

What did you do for your dental internship in Argentina? I’m not saying you did, but the ADEA and ADA warn against pre-dental students going abroad and doing dental work (extractions, drilling, etc) on people. While it may be legal when abroad, it’s unethical and very dangerous for those being operated on. That’s a huge red flag for dental schools.

Again, not saying you did, but if you (or other future applicants) did, I wouldn’t mention it on your application.

What did you do for your dental internship in Argentina? I’m not saying you did, but the ADEA and ADA warn against pre-dental students going abroad and doing dental work (extractions, drilling, etc) on people. While it may be legal when abroad, it’s unethical and very dangerous for those being operated on. That’s a huge red flag for dental schools.

Again, not saying you did, but if you (or other future applicants) did, I wouldn’t mention it on your application.
I did odd jobs around the office, like get supplies. I also assisted by suctioning for extractions, so I never did a procedure myself.