Feb 2019 CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whether it's a perfect bell curve or bimodal curve, the definition of stdev remains roughly the same. If you are 2 stdev above the average, you're at top 2.5% or above

Assuming 300 ppl took the exam, around 7~8 people achieved 82 or above.

I think I've seen at least 5 people posted in this thread that they got above 80.

SDN is truly a place where all the smartest people hang out:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any published data on the number of test takers? the stats sent out by john london are not very useful without some population data to lend context...

Is there any published data on the number of test takers? the stats sent out by john london are not very useful without some population data to lend context...

They used to, not anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
someone corrected me earlier and said that med students also take this exact exam. If so, then would the expected number of people scoring >80 be even less? And wouldn't the expected average from OMFS applicants be even lower since med students on average tend to score higher than us?

They don’t take it at prometric centers and I think this is specifically for the exam at prometric centers.

They don’t take it at prometric centers and I think this is specifically for the exam at prometric centers.

I think they do/can take it at prometric they just pool us separately

hey guys, just took my CBSE in february too, did not do as well as most posters here (IMPRESSIVE), I scored a 65. I have good class rank (top 5%, I'd say), does that set me up with some good chances for 4 and/or 6 year programs?

I think you are fine top 5% and anything over 60 is usually a match for 4 years. Honestly a pretty good shot at some 6 years too

Are there any particular 6 years where I'd have a better shot than others?

I planned on retaking but on the thread I posted yesterday @omfsing mentioned I would not have to. However, I am only considering because the time I took the february CBSE I was entering clinic, taking my dental boards (a week before my CBSE) and also preparing for CBSE, which kind of got put on the back burner so I figured I would like to give it my honest effort now that I am in my summer semester of D3 year, I will primarily be focusing on seeing my patients and studying for CBSE. But I would appreciate any feedback on why I should or shouldn't, perhaps its better to start my externships or do something else, I don't know.

Are there any particular 6 years where I'd have a better shot than others?

I planned on retaking but on the thread I posted yesterday @omfsing mentioned I would not have to. However, I am only considering because the time I took the february CBSE I was entering clinic, taking my dental boards (a week before my CBSE) and also preparing for CBSE, which kind of got put on the back burner so I figured I would like to give it my honest effort now that I am in my summer semester of D3 year, I will primarily be focusing on seeing my patients and studying for CBSE. But I would appreciate any feedback on why I should or shouldn't, perhaps its better to start my externships or do something else, I don't know.

If you want a 6 year, I know San Antonio’s program director (Ellis) favors class rank far more than the CBSE. From my experience, I have seen many applicants scoring in the 60s matching into Omfs.

I have a question-how important is being top5 vs top10 in your class? Let's say a person has a 76 CBSE (me). Should they retake and try to get in the 80s, while having a rank of say 10, or should they stick with their 76 and try to move into the top5?

I'm trying to balance my time because I also want to do a bit of research. Thanks in advance.

I have a question-how important is being top5 vs top10 in your class? Let's say a person has a 76 CBSE (me). Should they retake and try to get in the 80s, while having a rank of say 10, or should they stick with their 76 and try to move into the top5?

I'm trying to balance my time because I also want to do a bit of research. Thanks in advance.
You realize that a 76 is like 95th percentile if not higher? I think you’d be crazy to think you needed to take it again haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

You’re gonna be just fine, relax. You’re a very competitive applicant and should be able to get your foot into the door. Just don’t be a weirdo in the interview. Good luck!

You’re gonna be just fine, relax. You’re a very competitive applicant and should be able to get your foot into the door. Just don’t be a weirdo in the interview. Good luck!

Alright, well thanks for the quick replies! Also does anyone know how many interview invites the typical OMFS program gives out? 20-30?

If someone has the full official statistics from the Feb 2019 exam and wouldn't mind posting them here or PM'ing me, it'd be much appreciated!

If someone has the full official statistics from the Feb 2019 exam and wouldn't mind posting them here or PM'ing me, it'd be much appreciated!

They didn’t release the usual document with the statistics. In one email they only mentioned “The average score for this administration was 55 with a standard deviation of 13.5” but didn’t give the range.

feralis isn't doing oral surgery

study plan = 9 months. I believe that content review is the most important part of the studying. So:
content review = 7 months
question banks/practice exams/review = 8 weeks

content review resources = first aid, boards and beyond, pathoma, sketchy micro
question bank = Uworld
practice exam = NBME 15

content review:
boards and beyond is the most important resource. What I did was I watched boards and beyond video and took notes directly on the pdf slide sets he gives you. Then after the video I went to first aid and added any info in first aid that wasn't in b&b or that topic (only small amount of info). If there was a matching pathoma video to the topic in b&b i would do following: watch b and b video, then watch pathoma video (add any pathoma info that wasn't in b&b to b&b slide set), then add extra info to first aid.
1st key point here is MEMORIZATION. At the core this exam is MEMORIZATION based. So what I did was compile all the info to the b&b slide sets then memorize the hell out of the slide set. The 2nd key point here is REVIEW. So what I would do is 3 weeks of learning new info then 1 week of review (obviously if you are reviewing a block you previously learned the review must be much faster). The way I memorized was that I made a long document of questions corresponding to b&b slide set (questions went in order of slide set), then would TYPE the entire slides in microsoft word to memorize then go over question list to review. Question lists would also allow me to review blocks I learned months ago very very fast. So yeah key point is figure out a way to memorize fast and to review fast. Review constantly.
Order to which I learned everything:
cell bio
genetics
basics of pharmacology
intro to pathology, chapter 1 pathoma, chapter 3 pathoma
biochemistry
immunology, chapter 2 pathoma
neurology
psychiatry
cardiology
pulmonology
hematology
renal
endocrinology
reproductive
musculoskeletal
demratology
GI
microbio (for this block I watched b&b + sketchy micro)
biostats/epi
behavioral science

final 8 weeks:
first 2 weeks was a review of every block using my question lists from each block
3rd week = do ~1150 uworld questions. Did it untimed and tutor mode. I looked at every answer explanation any new info I would write down on a separate doc. DID NOT LEARN THIS INFO AT THIS TIME
4th week = learn all the info I wrote down from uworld questions (memorize same way as during content review phase)
end of 4th week = NBME 15. Got CBSE equivalent score of 91 (made lots of super dumb mistakes new I would do better than this)
5th week = do another 1150 uworld questions (same approach as week 3)
6th week = learn new info from doing uworld questions + review the other info in this document from 1st 115o questions.
7th and 8th week = final epic review of every block of question lists from b&b slides + question lists from uworld info

uworld performance: 2300 questions done, 79.5% right, 69 seconds per question on average

random stuff:
CBSE question style very different from Uworld. Question stems tend to be much shorter and the questions aren't built to be tricky like Uworld is.
Hard questions on CBSE are of two types:
1) question about something you have never seen before (they purposefully put this in as "application" questions) --> the key to answering these questions is to look at other answer choices and use process of elimination based on what you know (so its super important to have wide and deep knowledge)
2) short and "broad" question stem with weird answer choices --> key here again is to have wide/deep knoweldge

I did uworld the way I did because when i did the 2nd 1150 uworld questions (5th week) I has been a decent amount of time since I did review of all b&b slide sets. So when I was doing these questions I was answering them more based on process of elimination than outright knowing the answer (this prepared me for the CBSE hard questions of stuff Ive never seen before) and built my skill of "process of elimination"

Feb exam had more of those type 1 hard cbse questions (super random Q) than I was expecting but I wasn't caught off guard. Went to war for those 5 hours. Probably had a nice curve due to this. This was the first time I took the CBSE so yeah
you do the uworld blocks tutor mode or timed?

Why all are so silent. Please share your thoughts about last exam. How was it ?

1 shot, studied 2.5 months - scored 90

But in my opinion, if someone tells you they studied 2 months, 6 months, etc... It really doesn't matter. The distribution of study time needed varies greatly between individuals. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
I used the typical recipe for the CBSE - UWorld (most significant source), Sketchy micro and pharm, pathoma, and First Aid (least useful). I truly believe first aid should not be read like a text book but more as a control find source. Its to time consuming too read page by page and honestly doesn't really teach much at all. If you have a photographic memory, then by all means read it. Otherwise, use it as you go when you want a few extra details. For instance, I used pathoma for my path, which eliminates so much of First Aid. I only used first Aid to supplement my embryology (w/ UWorld) and physiology (w/ UWorld and some school notes). No need to read drugs or micro from First Aid - use sketchy (waaaaay better). Just try to be as efficient and smart with your time as possible and utilize first aid correctly - otherwise its a real time cruncher with not enough solid yield.

So, I think UWorld + Sketchy + Pathoma is all you need to do very well, and just use First Aid for areas where these are lacking (physio, embryo, anatomy, psychology (probably the best source for that), and stats - though UWorld really does cover these topics even better than First Aid)

And take NBMEs - know where you are at, and do some to improve those deficiencies but don't get to hung up on it either. You don't know whats gonna be on that exam, so never throw all your eggs in one or a few baskets. Just try to give a little more time to the topics you need a little sprucing up on and then once you've improved balance the time again and cover as much high yield ground as possible.

If anyone has any question, please message me. I believe everyone here is capable of scoring very high with the right strategy and work ethic.
Hey man just starting studying - I signed up for the February CBSE (I'm a second year dental student at the moment). I've been through sketchy pharm once and going through pathoma right now.. no Uworld yet. Should I just take a NBME February and schedule the CBSE for August or do you think its good to have a test run?