Fcvs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYFM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had some problems with delays with FCVS and am considering getting the information sent myself and not doing anything else with FCVS. I noticed some posts a few years old but would like feedback if their current credentialling system has improved. Once the file is complete does it actually make it easier in the future to apply to another state if I ever need to or would I better off doing everything myself? I would like feedback both positive and negative on FCVS.

Members don't see this ad.

Positive feedback on FCVS? Good luck with that.

Each year my residents find it a cumbersome and frustrating process.

Once your entire file is complete, it might be easier to get a license. And some states only take FCVS, so you're stuck.

I have had some problems with delays with FCVS and am considering getting the information sent myself and not doing anything else with FCVS. I noticed some posts a few years old but would like feedback if their current credentialling system has improved. Once the file is complete does it actually make it easier in the future to apply to another state if I ever need to or would I better off doing everything myself? I would like feedback both positive and negative on FCVS.

I hope so, because this process has been ridiculous. A friend of mine started applying for the same state license about a month after me. I used FCVS; he didn't. He's had his license for about a week, while I'm still waiting. Awesome.

I hope so, because this process has been ridiculous. A friend of mine started applying for the same state license about a month after me. I used FCVS; he didn't. He's had his license for about a week, while I'm still waiting. Awesome.

The conventional wisdom is to only use FCVS when you're forced to. According to this page, 11 states and USVI require it for all applicants, NV only requires it for DO applicants.

Anecdotally, I've heard it's a total clusterf*** so not generally worth the time or trouble if you don't need it.

The conventional wisdom is to only use FCVS when you're forced to. According to this page, 11 states and USVI require it for all applicants, NV only requires it for DO applicants.

Anecdotally, I've heard it's a total clusterf*** so not generally worth the time or trouble if you don't need it.

Yeah, I can definitely see why. Personally, my situation is a little uncommon, in that I really don't know which or how many state licenses I'm going to need or maintain over my career. FCVS still seems like the smart play for the long run, but the mean time...:thumbdown:.

Late to the post, but want to add my experience to this thread for future searches about FCVS.

Having used FCVS this year, I would strongly advise against it if possible. The service will probably be the bottleneck in your license application if you use it, and they provide no information whatsoever on the time frame you'll be waiting for, leaving you waiting for an unknown period of time (several weeks so far in my case).

I appreciate that they're probably swamped with requests, but in retrospect I would have applied without FCVS and saved myself the time and angst of being in limbo and wondering when I can check the license off my to do list.

Based on my personal experience don't use FCVS unless you have to. Before beginning my fellowship I was able to obtain my Oklahoma license in slightly over one month. The next year it took around 4-5 months to obtain my Ohio license, which requires you to use FCVS.

FCVS is by far the worst experience of my medical career. :thumbdown: Far worse than being Q3 in the MICU while doing crosscover for the CCU.

If you are applying to only 1 or 2 states DO NOT USE FCVS/FSMB. They will waste your money and time and cellphone minutes by putting you on hold.

- PM me if you want the full story.

One solution to this is be proactive.
1) Take your step 3 early
2) As soon as you pass your step three open a FCVS account and start sending them your documents of the duration of your residency.
3) With this completed all ahead of time, apply for your license in the state you signed a contract in the day you signed your contract, click of a button.

Under no circumstance, save it being absolutely required, should anyone use the FCVS service for their medical license applications. Had I read this thread, or had someone warned me prior to using this service, I would not have made the single greatest mistake of my medical career. They are a complete joke. Totally incompetent. They literally do not know how to do what they are supposed to do, and they don't care either. It took them over 1 month after I sent in all my paperwork to assign me an "analyst," and they only did so after I called and asked why things were taking so long. They seemed surprised at the time I didn't have an analyst and assigned me one right then. It takes them at least 2 weeks from the time FedEx confirms delivery of your documents for them to even acknowledge if they RECEIVED them in their mail room, let alone start processing them. I have now hit the 3 month mark today and still they are not finished. When you call, you WILL be put on hold for typically 10-15 minutes, then the people you speak with will provide you with no useful information; each of the sub-departments within FCVS have no idea what the other is doing and they say they can't check on the status of the application when it's in a different part of the department other than their own. Emailing or calling your analyst may/may not elicit a response within 48-72 hours. They will try to blame delays on your medical school/residency, but you will find (at least in my case) that your institutions have very rapid turnaround times (2-3 days max). So, UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, DO NOT USE FCVS. I really, really, really wish someone had given me this advice 3 months ago. I would have my license already, AND saved the $400, AND would be earning a paycheck. Instead, the hospital and community trying to hire me (they have no one within an hour drive who does my specialty) are screwed, as am I (have to take out a loan to be able to pay bills since can't work). DO NOT USE FCVS!!!!!

I was just about to resurrect this thread.

I was notified two days ago that FCVS mailed my packet to my state medical board. I started the FCVS application over 5 months ago. I provided the last document to them in the first week of March, so the remaining time I've just been waiting for them to do their job.

I hate to say it, but the above post isn't an exaggeration. Their turnaround time from receiving a document and inputting into their system is over a week - ridiculously long. They had out-dated information for contacting my training programs. When they didn't hear back from my programs for over a month, rather than contacting me, they simply did nothing. They didn't receive the updated contact information until I called to find out what was going on, at which point I told them whom to contact.

Finally, my packet went into the quality assurance stage, which I was told would last up to 4 weeks. After 5 weeks, my packet reverted to source verification status. After several emails and phone calls, I found out it they wanted to know the rotation schedule from my internship. My intern schedule? You have got to be kidding me. I graduated from a fully accredited internship that has never even sniffed probation, so why in the hell do you need my internship schedule? And why in the hell are you just now figuring out that you need this when you've had my packet for over 5 months?

Overall, these people redefine laziness and incompetency. Employees that excel at FCVS probably go to work for the DMV. They have a monopoly on this particular service, so they're in no hurry to provide any semblance of customer service.

If you just need a handful of state licenses, absolutely avoid FCVS. Similarly, if receipt of your license is time sensitive (like for a new job), then don't use FCVS.

Overall, these people redefine laziness and incompetency. Employees that excel at FCVS probably go to work for the DMV. They have a monopoly on this particular service, so they're in no hurry to provide any semblance of customer service.

From what I've heard, FCVS makes dealing with the DMV, followed by getting unemployment benefits and food stamps and a 2am visit to the ER for a hangnail seem like a year-long all-expenses paid, first class tropical vacation.

What I don't get about FCVS is that they're run by FSMB which, in my experience, is a reasonably competent organization. I'm not sure if/how they farm out the FCVS function but I would guess it's a side business of Somali pirates.

If anyone is curious, the domains for FCVSsucks.com and FCVSblowssyphilliticgoats.com are still available (just $12/yr to register them through GoDaddy).

I can attest to FCVS headaches. My application has been submitted for 2 months and still not sent to the state board.

The only thing I can say is that my fellow residents had similar issues with our own state medical board. Some of them took 5 months and constant misplaced pieces of information to finally get their state medical license. So, I'm not sure dealing directly with the state medical board would be any better, but I've heard other states are much more efficient. The only advantage that I can think of, is that once all the pain is over and done with, you have everything uploaded to FCVS for potential future state licensing and don't have to hunt down everything again. That's the only reason I'm using them, but yes, it has been a very painful process so far.

Do not under any circumstances use FSMB or their CVS unless you absolutely have no other alternative. I cannot emphasize this enough.

DO NOT EVER USE them, unless your intended state leaves you without alternative. For all of the reasons entered above. I initially thought this was a reasonable way to go, until I applied for my first license. I started down that path, was told my my intended employer to apply directly to the state. Since I had already started the FSMB process, I did parallel apps. State direct app was completed in less than a month, with temporary in hand followed by permanent shortly thereafter. FSMB had not even acknowledged anything. I let things go dormant with them and when I applied for a second state license several years later, again the state process was completed in less time than it would have taken the FSMB to answer the emails.

You have nothing, it costs a lot, and you have zero control over the process.

Bypass the middleman if you can, and save yourself a lot of grief. States are genuinely interested in having licensed physicians caring for their citizens, earning a living and paying taxes on that living. The FSMB could care less and has sold those states that require it a bill of rotten goods.

i didn't know fcvs was that bad :( for my state i believe it's "recommended" but not mandatory. 400+ is a lot of money if it's really bad/slow service. i sent my supporting documents by priority mail 2 weeks ago and my profile still has all of them as "not received." i'll try sending my verfication directly to the state then.

Whoever wants to apply to FCVS just listen to this. I'll make it short since I don't feel very well; my employer just wanted my excuse because my license wasn't ready after 6 months. Yes, FCVS cost my job. I have evidence that they lost my authorization form, so they didn't send any of my training verifications until after 3 months. I have been very nice that I didn't sue them for this, but now that I lost my job, I think I should do it.
I also want to withdraw my application for license in this state, since I no longer have a job. Anybody knows what are the consequences of withdrawing the application for a state medical license?

FCVS is a complete pain in the ass. I applied to 4 different states. 3 of which were through FCVS and that was months ago, none of the applications have been sent to the states. You have to constantly and vigilantly log on to their website and view your active checklist of what they have received or not. Most of the time, it will be inaccurate. It will say something is not received, but yet they have received it, just not updated it on their system. Sometimes, it will have been received by the office, but misplaced, and only through calling will they be able to put you on hold for several minutes while they track it down and then tell you "oh, here it is!". You have to really stay on top of them. I had one remaining item last week, a single GME form from my internship program director. They claimed it had not been received. Well, I emailed the coordinator and she forwarded me the copy of the completed form she had emailed them on the same day the request had been received. I called them back...."oh...they sent it? Can you hold please?.....here it is! We'll forward this to the processing agent." Prepare for interactions like this ad nauseum. If you just apply and expect them to do everything for you, you'll never get it completed, you have to stay on top of them and harass them constantly. The excuse they gave me this year for why it's taking so long is that they implemented some new computer system back in Jan that had bugs and has delayed many of the applications by several weeks. Judging from past experiences with FCVS that have been reported, I doubt this is the only reason. The primary advantage that I can see using them for would be if you plan to apply to multiple states in the future since it is beneficial to have a centralized repository of all your information. I've "heard" that once you go through all the pain of doing it the first time, it's must less painful the second time around when you just need it all sent to a new state.

As for the state that I chose not to use them for....well let's just say I'm glancing over at the state license I received from them last week after doing it all myself. It took about a month. I cancelled the app on FCVS several weeks into the process after foreseeing that it would take forever and chose this one state to do myself since I needed this particular license quickly in order to moonlight. Now I'm just waiting on the DEA.

i didn't know fcvs was that bad :( for my state i believe it's "recommended" but not mandatory. 400+ is a lot of money if it's really bad/slow service. i sent my supporting documents by priority mail 2 weeks ago and my profile still has all of them as "not received." i'll try sending my verfication directly to the state then.

Do not ever send them anything by USPS. Send through UPS or Fedex with more explicit tracking information. One item they were claiming to have not received by mail. Well, I had tracking and I had the name of the person who signed for it. She put me on hold and about 10 minutes later had it in her hand. I had mailed it 2 weeks prior, overnight no less.

So...

6/2 - Applied through FCVS
10/24 - Application finally sent out to the state medical boards

Now, I get to wait 2-3 months for each state to process.

So, that kind of gives you an idea of how long you need to start all of this in advance. Also, keep in mind... the above is with me calling them almost weekly and paying close attention to what they "claimed" they didn't have, which they always did, I just needed to call it to their attention. If you apply through FCVS and then never follow up on stuff, prepare for a longer ride.

I would say... to be safe, you need to apply almost a year in advance of where you plan on working/moonlighting, etc.. which makes it difficult for those in last year of residency that might not take a job until fall/winter. In that case, DO NOT apply to your new job location through FCVS unless you are required to because you'll risk not getting your license on time and not able to start work upon graduation.

Also, my word of advice is to not use FCVS for those of you wanting to moonlight. Apply directly through the state. I went direct for one of my states where I wanted to moonlight out of state and I had my license in 2-3 weeks with DEA about 7-10 days after that.

Last edited:
It has been about 6 MONTHS since I submitted my application and it still has not been sent to my state yet. Every time i call there is another form that is missing. I wish there was another way that I could get my license but the state in requires FVCS :(.

One solution to this is be proactive.
1) Take your step 3 early
2) As soon as you pass your step three open a FCVS account and start sending them your documents of the duration of your residency.
3) With this completed all ahead of time, apply for your license in the state you signed a contract in the day you signed your contract, click of a button.
Okay, I'm now in the camp that dislikes FCVS. I got a message some time back apologizing for now requesting a routine document from the source they had forgotten to ask from. It has now delayed the application 3 more weeks at least, on top of a previous 3 week issue they had.

Oh and did you see the fee hike for future state application requests? This organization is a money pit with poor processing.

Last edited:
I have a completed credential packet on file there. Sent my subsequent request in on 9/6 with *no changes necessary* to what they already had on file. Packet sent to state board on 10/21. It took them 6 weeks to make a copy and put it in an envelope.

The state board, in contrast, got my part of the application on a Monday, and granted my license on Thursday of that same week.

This topic comes up occasionally, so I thought I'd add feedback from recent personal experience. The FCVS app was not for me, but for someone very close to me. Total processing time, from creating an account to sending the app to the Texas Medical Board, was 61 days. The applicant is an IMG, completing residency in June. All documents were scanned and uploaded directly to FCVS rather than mailed. I did still email frequently, which is important. It seems each time I did, the file was mysteriously ready for the next stage of processing. I didn't know about previous complaints prior to using the service. I would not have used it again in this particular case I don't think. Not sure if the turnaround time was an anomaly or more representative of the norm now.

You have to keep calling every single day. If you check the email they sent you initially, theres a direct line you can call which will give you answers faster.

Hate to resurrect this, but is FCVS the same cluster**** that it seemed to be 2-4 years ago?

Hate to resurrect this, but is FCVS the same cluster**** that it seemed to be 2-4 years ago?

I've just been through the process as an IMG. Submitted the application on Dec 4 and had my profile verified and submitted to the state board on Jan 5 so it worked out for me.

Jonathan

I am using FCVS and so far it's been great. Big caveat: I started the process after graduating medical school. I'm a Caribbean graduate and was concerned about my school shutting down by the time I applied for licensure, so I wanted a central repository where all my credentials were stored in that unfortunate case. Fortunately, my school hasn't yet shut down. Unfortuntately, I still have to send some forms to the school independent of the documents FCVS has stored by way of the tricky Illinois licensure process, but it has cut down the process signficantly.

Things have changed compared to past.

I got my portfolio established on january 2016 and only took 3 weeks.
Fast and courteous response. Mind that I am FMG but degree transcript etc were retrieved from ECFMG rather than contacting school again. I think that expedites things.

I asked for profile to be sent in a medical board a week ago. No activity so far. I got a generic reply to my inquiry about time line.

Reactions: 1 user
Things have changed compared to past.

I got my portfolio established on january 2016 and only took 3 weeks.
Fast and courteous response. Mind that I am FMG but degree transcript etc were retrieved from ECFMG rather than contacting school again. I think that expedites things.

I asked for profile to be sent in a medical board a week ago. No activity so far. I got a generic reply to my inquiry about time line.

so they do not contact the medical school again? ECFMG already contacted my school and my credentials were verified, and I was wondering if FCVS needs to contact my school again or they just retrieve it from ECFMG.

It's gotten slightly better. I initially did my portfolio back in 2011 and echoed a lot of the frustrations voiced in here. Since then, I've used it a few times to get licensed and each time the process gets a little more streamlined. It still takes about 4-6 weeks for them to send your packet, especially if there are updates from the last time you used the service (which there generally are, since you've usually changed your employment or residency status if you're applying for new licensure).

Came here thinking this was a f-CVS thread.. lolz. Carry on...

Reactions: 1 users
What is it like this year? Just signed up for it

Any update on FCVS? Already got my training license for fellowship, but considering using this service for an unrestricted license.... in order to apply for boards! ugh. In theory FCVS sounds like a good thing for me (don't know what state I'll have my final job(s) in).

Has it gotten better?

Does it cost >$400 each time? Or just the first application?

Any update on FCVS? Already got my training license for fellowship, but considering using this service for an unrestricted license.... in order to apply for boards! ugh. In theory FCVS sounds like a good thing for me (don't know what state I'll have my final job(s) in).

Has it gotten better?

COST AND FEES
Physicians
An initial application fee entitles the applicant to have a portfolio created and one profile sent to one recipient. The base fee is $375 for physicians. Additional fees may apply to cover costs incurred to collect examination transcripts, ECFMG certification (if applicable), and other miscellaneous verification fees.
Subsequent Profiles are forwarded upon request for a fee of $95 for physicians for each profile, plus applicable charges.
Additional physician profiles are available for $65 each when requested at the same time as an Initial or Subsequent Application.

Has it gotten better?

I used it. My only hiccup was going outside of FCVS to start my application with the medical board and use them for document collection. The items were obtained and sent to the board I think <3 or 4 weeks after requesting, don't remember for sure and not sure that's something I could verify at this point. The board wasn't looking for FCVS documents since I'd already separately opened an application with them though. Was able to get it sorted out and had my license with plenty of time for my job start date. Wasn't a horrifically onerous process

It worked well for me, but it is expensive. That said, I'd rather have the documents all in one place for the future instead of starting from scratch each time and contacting a new registrar at my home school that may not give a damn about time lines.

It worked well for me, but it is expensive. That said, I'd rather have the documents all in one place for the future instead of starting from scratch each time and contacting a new registrar at my home school that may not give a damn about time lines.
I learned that the hard way... It took my home school 3-4 wks to send my transcript to a state board... Once the they received my transcript, I got my full (or unrestricted) license in less than 2 wks.

I'm confused do I first submit my FCVS application or State licensure application? I have recently submitted my licensure ( specifically NYS) first and I'm waiting to gather my documents, info etc to submit my FCVS application..

Also if so, is there a timeline/ time limit after submitting state licensure application to submit the FCVS one?

Thanks!

I'm confused do I first submit my FCVS application or State licensure application? I have recently submitted my licensure ( specifically NYS) first and I'm waiting to gather my documents, info etc to submit my FCVS application..

Also if so, is there a timeline/ time limit after submitting state licensure application to submit the FCVS one?

Thanks!

Word of advice - particularly for NY (i assume you mean New York?) don't go through FCVS. NY for me was super simple, took literally 10 days I think. Do it yourself. Save yourself a bunch of money and aggravation.

Word of advice - particularly for NY (i assume you mean New York?) don't go through FCVS. NY for me was super simple, took literally 10 days I think. Do it yourself. Save yourself a bunch of money and aggravation.
Ya seems like a pain as they ask many additional questions, want notorized forms etc. Only thing is, in the future may want to apply to other states and would be easier than having to gather and submit all the paperwork all over again as they retain copies.. this was only advantage, why i figured to do through FCVS.

Ya seems like a pain as they ask many additional questions, want notorized forms etc. Only thing is, in the future may want to apply to other states and would be easier than having to gather and submit all the paperwork all over again as they retain copies.. this was only advantage, why i figured to do through FCVS.
It's not tha tcomplicated to get a license in another state. it's your choice, but i wouldn't go through FCVS. just keep all your info in a folder.

Notarizing everything took like 20 minutes with an online notary. And getting the Verifications of Education/Training was the biggest hurdle for licensure, so if they can hold onto those I'm more than happy to pay for the next time I move states.

I used the FCVS and I had a very good experience. They are very responsive on the phone, chat and email. They got everything done in 10 to 12 business days. I would recommend just keeping in touch with them regularly to see what documents they need or clarifications.