FCVS necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makethemostofit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M4 working on the licensing process. From what I understand, FCVS can speed it up. But it requires a somewhat hefty fee ($375). Is is worth it? Are there any cons to FCVS? Please let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an M4 working on the licensing process. From what I understand, FCVS can speed it up. But it requires a somewhat hefty fee ($375). Is is worth it? Are there any cons to FCVS? Please let me know. Thanks.

As an FYI, FCVS is for the UNRESTRICTED licensing process. The hospital's GME office will process your resident/training license, and so you don't need to worry about FCVS for some time yet.

(Unless you plan on moonlighting right out of the gate, which I don't recommend, or you're not planning on doing a residency at all.)

Reactions: 2 users
As an FYI, FCVS is for the UNRESTRICTED licensing process. The hospital's GME office will process your resident/training license, and so you don't need to worry about FCVS for some time yet.

(Unless you plan on moonlighting right out of the gate, which I don't recommend, or you're not planning on doing a residency at all.)
What do you mean by "unrestricted"??

What do you mean by "unrestricted"??

"Unrestricted license" generally refers to people who have completed at least an intern year, and can technically practice medicine without supervision.
For most of us on SDN, that means people who have completed residency and are going for their first attending job, but you don't need to finish residency in order to practice medicine without supervision.

Reactions: 1 user
FCVS is very slow right now bc of COVID-19. Their staffing is decreased and remote so emails are slow to be answered and documents aren't uploaded. I'd avoid it if you can.

You do not need FCVS now.

The "licensing process" for you as an incoming intern should involve your program submitting a form to the state with your name on it.

Once you have an idea what state you'll be in after residency, can ask this question then. It's variably helpful and/or required for different states.

OP, for GME you use a training license. You do not need to use FCVS for that. Personally, I found FCVS helpful for unrestricted license, but I also had CME money laying around.

You do not need FCVS now.

The "licensing process" for you as an incoming intern should involve your program submitting a form to the state with your name on it.

This was a few years ago, but I had to submit my application for temporary license for onboarding myself. They submitted one form that was what you described, but I still had to fill out my side of it that was basically like the universal application. Had to also upload my degree among other things from my school. It was almost as laborious from my side as when I applied for my unrestricted license, but the processing time was definitely shorter. I'm sure this varies quite a bit by state.

This was a few years ago, but I had to submit my application for temporary license for onboarding myself. They submitted one form that was what you described, but I still had to fill out my side of it that was basically like the universal application. Had to also upload my degree among other things from my school. It was almost as laborious from my side as when I applied for my unrestricted license, but the processing time was definitely shorter. I'm sure this varies quite a bit by state.
Fair enough, and a very good point.

As for virtually all questions asked on SDN, the answer can be summarized as "it depends".

OP, for GME you use a training license. You do not need to use FCVS for that. Personally, I found FCVS helpful for unrestricted license, but I also had CME money laying around.

How helpful they were? Can you explain how the process was? $375 is a lot of $$$

How helpful they were? Can you explain how the process was? $375 is a lot of $$$

I barely had to do anything. Filled out online forms, paid for an E-notary, and they contacted my school, nbme/nbome, and residency for completion of the documents. It is absolutely a lot, but the idea of having to contact my school or keep track of all that seemed annoying. I figured I'd be buying it at some point, so I bit the bullet.

Yet to be seen if its worth it, but I'm planning on having at least a few state licenses.

I barely had to do anything. Filled out online forms, paid for an E-notary, and they contacted my school, nbme/nbome, and residency for completion of the documents. It is absolutely a lot, but the idea of having to contact my school or keep track of all that seemed annoying. I figured I'd be buying it at some point, so I bit the bullet.

Yet to be seen if its worth it, but I'm planning on having at least a few state licenses.
It's actually worth spending the $375 If they do all that... I guess I am gonna bite the bullet and spend that $375...

When you said you filled out the online form, are you referring to the state application for licensure?

Last edited:
Not necessary. But if you think you may work in a different state in a few years, might be worth it. Keep in mind that if you’re IMG it may be necessary, but also keep in mind not every state accepts the service.

FYI there’s also a “Uniform Application” but it hasn’t really caught on yet with many states as an available option or requirement; I never even heard of it until I visited the site.

FYI there’s also a “Uniform Application” but it hasn’t really caught on yet with many states as an available option or requirement; I never even heard of it until I visited the site.
Just saw that... Did not know about it.

It's actually worth spending the $375 If they do all that... I guess I am gonna bite the bullet and spend that $375...

When you said you filled out the online form, are you referring to the state application for licensure?

There's 2 forms. I filled out a state one, then did the FCVS one. Its basically the same info though. Each state is different so it really depends how much you actually have to do.