FCE/Sudden Paralysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just jumped over here from the MD forum. My dog was diagnosed with FCE today and I brought him home before I could decide whether or not putting him to sleep woudl be a good idea. He's been urinating a lot and I've been trying to mobilize him with the sling, but he's heavy and it seems the homemade sling thing is hurting him - do you guys have any ideas about how to ambulate him without hurting him?

I'm concerned since I know he won't be with us much longer - he's beginning to become nasty and snaps at me too - and its only been a day.

Any advice on how to get through tojmorrow would be great.

Thanks!
Poety

Members don't see this ad.

Poety said:
Hi all, I just jumped over here from the MD forum. My dog was diagnosed with FCE today and I brought him home before I could decide whether or not putting him to sleep woudl be a good idea. He's been urinating a lot and I've been trying to mobilize him with the sling, but he's heavy and it seems the homemade sling thing is hurting him - do you guys have any ideas about how to ambulate him without hurting him?

I'm concerned since I know he won't be with us much longer - he's beginning to become nasty and snaps at me too - and its only been a day.

Any advice on how to get through tojmorrow would be great.

Thanks!
Poety
I would say leave him at an emergency center overnight so they can monitor him and keep him non mobile.

Sorry I have not gotten my DVM yet so I cannot give medical advice. :oops:

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply - I didn't want medical advice (we have the same rules in the MD forum) I just wanted to know how to ambulate him more comfortably. Unfortunately, leaving him there wasn't an option since he's going to be in this state for a while and I think she wanted me to begin caring for him now.

As I said, I'm not feeling a good prognosis so she and I will talk again tomorrow. I know some recover from FCE or sudden paralysis, but he's 100 lbs and with an infant, I can't provide that kind of attention, especially with 3 other dogs (one including a puppy) 2 birds and a cat. He's also getting a bit snippy which isn't like him.

This FCE thing sucks - I hope you don't run into a lot in your career, and thanks again for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply - I didn't want medical advice (we have the same rules in the MD forum) I just wanted to know how to ambulate him more comfortably. Unfortunately, leaving him there wasn't an option since he's going to be in this state for a while and I think she wanted me to begin caring for him now.

As I said, I'm not feeling a good prognosis so she and I will talk again tomorrow. I know some recover from FCE or sudden paralysis, but he's 100 lbs and with an infant, I can't provide that kind of attention, especially with 3 other dogs (one including a puppy) 2 birds and a cat. He's also getting a bit snippy which isn't like him.

This FCE thing sucks - I hope you don't run into a lot in your career, and thanks again for the response.
Insted of trying to get him to move why not let him rest if he is in pain for the night?

Oh and not a quick fix but long term should you not elect euthanasia; there are wheelchairs:
http://www.doggon.com/products/whlchr.html

chris03333 said:
Insted of trying to get him to move why not let him rest if he is in pain for the night?

Oh and not a quick fix but long term shoud you not elect euthanasia there are wheelchairs
http://www.doggon.com/products/whlchr.html

I am letting him rest for the night, I was asking for tomorrows ambulation. yes, she and I discussed those adn the cost is unfortunately out of our reach. Its about 450-500 for his size.

I'm upset about the euthanasia thing- seriously. I dont do well with letting my animals go, which ofcourse is why he's here with me instead of the alternative <sigh>

Poety said:
I am letting him rest for the night, I was asking for tomorrows ambulation. yes, she and I discussed those adn the cost is unfortunately out of our reach. Its about 450-500 for his size.

I'm upset about the euthanasia thing- seriously. I dont do well with letting my animals go, which ofcourse is why he's here with me instead of the alternative <sigh>

I'm not sure if this helps...but it might help you not feel bad about not being able to swing a cart....I've been looking into carts for my large dog whoose mobility is decreasing and I've been told by a number of vets I respect that a lot of the big dogs really don't adjust well to them later in life, such that they are more stressful to them then they are a a help.

For the urination, you might want to see if you can buy or rent from a vet one of the mesh beds that is elavated off the floor...this makes the care a little easier and cleaner for both of you. I'd also start applying some Desitin to any areas where you think he might be at risk for urine scald provided he's not the super licky type.

Good luck..

Thanks Horsey, I'm gonig to be bringing him in tomorrow - Im not able to care for him like this and its really not fair to him at all. The poor thing is miserable - and I mean MISERABLE.

If he is that miserable, then it may be time to do the compassionate thing...

I dont really believe in putting dogs in wheel chairs - thats just my personal opinion... if my dog can't run and play and have the quality of life he has grown to expect over the 12 years of his life, than i wouldn't hesitate to put him to sleep - yeah it will be hard, but sometimes its just the right thing to do.

Sorry you're in such a tough spot.

dvm'08 said:
If he is that miserable, then it may be time to do the compassionate thing...

I dont really believe in putting dogs in wheel chairs - thats just my personal opinion... if my dog can't run and play and have the quality of life he has grown to expect over the 12 years of his life, than i wouldn't hesitate to put him to sleep - yeah it will be hard, but sometimes its just the right thing to do.

Sorry you're in such a tough spot.

Thanks DVM, I'm waiting for the vet to call now. If he were smaller, this may be doable, but at his size, he can't even drag his weight around hes so big - its heartbreaking. He wanted to get up the stairs today and just sat there staring up at them. Yesterday he was still spunky, today he looks worn out. I don't know about wheelchairs either, it does seem awfully cruel to keep an animal around like that. My dog definitely misses running and playing since thats what he would do all day long - patrol the yard.

I'm going to bring him in to do the merciful thing today. I have to think of what would happen if he were just living in the wild, and it wouldn't be, lying there having mom pick up poop and urine, covered with desitin, and watching the other dogs play.

Thanks for your support, I appreciate it.

Poety said:
Thanks DVM, I'm waiting for the vet to call now. If he were smaller, this may be doable, but at his size, he can't even drag his weight around hes so big - its heartbreaking. He wanted to get up the stairs today and just sat there staring up at them. Yesterday he was still spunky, today he looks worn out. I don't know about wheelchairs either, it does seem awfully cruel to keep an animal around like that. My dog definitely misses running and playing since thats what he would do all day long - patrol the yard.

I'm going to bring him in to do the merciful thing today. I have to think of what would happen if he were just living in the wild, and it wouldn't be, lying there having mom pick up poop and urine, covered with desitin, and watching the other dogs play.

Thanks for your support, I appreciate it.

Your dog is lucky to have you - some people would be too selfish to make such a difficult choice. These things take courage.

Without question, euthanizing peoples pets (and for some people, their pet is like their child) is the most difficult part of our job. I absolutely hate doing it, even though i know that it is a necessary and compassionate facet to providing veterinary care. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Today, at 11am Sampson fell asleep in my arms. The vet said with his worsening symptoms his outlook was bleak. He only lived 3 years. I got him from someone who found him left in the cold, in a box in front of McDonalds. He really was the best dog I ever had next to Q who raised him to be how he was.

Sampson was devoted, kind, loving and sweet. I miss him so much, this was by far the hardest thing I've gone through with a pet since he was so young.

Thanks for all your support DVM, you'll be a wonderful vet. :( :( :(

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave him a good home.

Here's a web site you might want to check out. It's a little corny in places but I've know some people that have said its helped them in the grieving process.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/

Poety, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. it certainly sounds like you made the right decision. Sampson was a lucky dog to have such a loving home.

Thanks so much for the support guys. Yesterday, after a severe breakdown, the baby and I went to the shelter and picked up a very sweet dog named Sophie, shes a 2 year old lab/retriever mix who has never had a home. She has one now - a forever home :)

I miss Sampson terribly, but having her here is helping me through the mourning. I still feel a bit empty and I know I will for a long time, but at least there is another soul here thats been saved I can shower my love and devotion on. Its odd how that helps isn't it?

She's had her first grooming ever, and she smells beautiful. She loves the baby and the other dogs who are VERY HAPPY to have her here.

Thanks again for all your support. One life had to be let go, but another was saved at least.

:oops: