Sudden Cat Blindness! Then got very sick very fast! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chinzcutie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My 2 year-old cat Vanilla on Friday 10/21 afternoon had moderate pain on her upper right rib cage area, she meowed in pain when I touched her right side. On Saturday 10/22 early morning, her pain got a little bit better, and that's actually when I found out where exactly she was hurt. Sat 4pm, I returned from work and found her blind! I took her to ER vet right away, and only to confirmed she was blind and she had a weird gait the vet insisted. She walked with her back feet almost tip toe and crunching her back up like a mini arch. Her pupils were completely dilated at room light but reactive to light (constrict about ~70-80% of normal to light). Rectal temperature only 1 degree above normal. Normal heart rate and lung sound. They couldn't do anything there.

I took her home. Tried feeding her and give water only got very little (next to no food at all) down in her. Waited til Monday 24th 4pm took her to the Vet. Vet took CBC. Result came back AST(SGOT) 1802 and ALT (SGPT) 398! Both of these two upper normal limit are 100. Sodium 139 (normal 145-158). CPK >30000!!! WBC13.4, which is normal. neutrophils 79 (normal 35-75%), absolute neutrophils 10586. Yet absolute bands is zero! Everything else on CBC came back normal.

Vet prescribed Zeniquin 25mg (1/2 tab daily); Clindamycin 75mg (1 cap twice daily); Medro 4mg (1 tab twice daily).

I just gave Vanilla first dose of everything. at 5pm 10/25. Right now she is drooling think mucus-like saliva, tachypnea, tail all fluff up, ears are cold, eyes dilated (barely blinking, still blind), so tired not even moving. The vet gave an appetite pill and she still didn't eat. I think she was too scared then she gave like not even a snack size portion in afternoon.

Please help, I need second opinion. My vet doesn't know what they are dealing with, just treating her with broad spectrum antibiotics and she never seen anything like it. She is a domestic cat, got out 2 weeks ago got into a fight with another cat. Had a scratch on right eye, eye lid and on nose, but completely healed! She was running around fine after. I took her to the vet that time too. Vet gave her rabies vaccine, and antibiotic just in case. She is spayed and up to date with all vaccines. Please help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My 2 year-old cat Vanilla on Friday 10/21 afternoon had moderate pain on her upper right rib cage area, she meowed in pain when I touched her right side. On Saturday 10/22 early morning, her pain got a little bit better, and that's actually when I found out where exactly she was hurt. Sat 4pm, I returned from work and found her blind! I took her to ER vet right away, and only to confirmed she was blind and she had a weird gait the vet insisted. She walked with her back feet almost tip toe and crunching her back up like a mini arch. Her pupils were completely dilated at room light but reactive to light (constrict about ~70-80% of normal to light). Rectal temperature only 1 degree above normal. Normal heart rate and lung sound. They couldn't do anything there.

I took her home. Tried feeding her and give water only got very little (next to no food at all) down in her. Waited til Monday 24th 4pm took her to the Vet. Vet took CBC. Result came back AST(SGOT) 1802 and ALT (SGPT) 398! Both of these two upper normal limit are 100. Sodium 139 (normal 145-158). CPK >30000!!! WBC13.4, which is normal. neutrophils 79 (normal 35-75%), absolute neutrophils 10586. Yet absolute bands is zero! Everything else on CBC came back normal.

Vet prescribed Zeniquin 25mg (1/2 tab daily); Clindamycin 75mg (1 cap twice daily); Medro 4mg (1 tab twice daily).

I just gave Vanilla first dose of everything. at 5pm 10/25. Right now she is drooling think mucus-like saliva, tachypnea, tail all fluff up, ears are cold, eyes dilated (barely blinking, still blind), so tired not even moving. The vet gave an appetite pill and she still didn't eat. I think she was too scared then she gave like not even a snack size portion in afternoon.

Please help, I need second opinion. My vet doesn't know what they are dealing with, just treating her with broad spectrum antibiotics and she never seen anything like it. She is a domestic cat, got out 2 weeks ago got into a fight with another cat. Had a scratch on right eye, eye lid and on nose, but completely healed! She was running around fine after. I took her to the vet that time too. Vet gave her rabies vaccine, and antibiotic just in case. She is spayed and up to date with all vaccines. Please help! Thank you!

SDN is not for medical advice. Please consult with another veterinarian if you desire a second opinion. Good luck with Vanilla!

Status
Not open for further replies.