Favorite songs of Non-trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree. They are geniuses. Their music IS actually really good! Dude shreads, and Michael Starr's lyrics are hilarious! I love the end of that video, Principal Silverman: "Death to all butt-metal" = :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my! Did you all hear!? The International Authority on Fake Metal Bands has released their annual rankings! The net is abuzz with excitement!

OK OK, I had too much time on my hands at work, so I conducted a scientific ranking of fake metal bands. Check it out if you, too, have time to kill - its on my blog (link above).

Loving all this metal talk! Death to all butt-metal haha.

Last edited:
I heart Nate Dogg, so in memory of him, Warren G's "Regulate" :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Van Morrison "Into the Mystic"
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAnlke_xUY[/YOUTUBE]

Beatles "In my Life"
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0Q8ytD44Y[/YOUTUBE]

It has nothing to do with being a non-trad premed, but I like:

1. Imagine, The Beatles
2. I Believe, Blessid Union of Souls

Tremendous songs.

Holy lord almighty! Old people music for old peeps like me? I'm all in! As much as I try, I'm always about 5 years behind anymore. Just a little slow on the up tick, you know?

G 'n' R Nightrain
Flogging Molly Requiem for a Dying Song
Manu Chau Bongo Bong
James McMurtry No More Buffalo
Reverend Horton Heat Any song
Aerosmith Love in an Elevator
Bizmarkee Just a Friend (If you don't know and love this song, you're not old enough!)
Good lord, I could keep on going...but:

All time favorite song:
Janes Addiction Three Days

Here's a few from back in the day,

Rock = Tool, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, 311, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jimmy Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Primus, Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Widespread Panic, Portishead, Old Metallica, Megadeth, Bob Marley, G Love and Special Sauce, Beastie Boys, ... the list goes on...

Hip Hop / R&B = 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Bone thugs N Harmony, Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, Too Short, The Roots, Dr. Dre, N.W.A, Mobb Deep, G-Unit, Scarface, Face Mobb, Cypress Hill, Jodeci, Dru Hill, Keith Sweat, Master P, Blacksheep, The D.O.C, Brand Nubiens, Public Enemy, ... the list goes on...

Trance / Acid Jazz = Sasha and Digweed, Above and Beyond, ATB, Ocean Lab, Armin Van Buuren, John Kelly, Oakenfold, Anything on the Global Underground Label - I don't think there was much else out at the time.

Still listen to most of that nowadays, but not as often as I would like and I also listen to more current stuff.

Listened to this on my way home from work...

[YOUTUBE]VYG3f9vCUiQ[/YOUTUBE]

And it reminded me of this...

[YOUTUBE]ICnlyNUt_0o[/YOUTUBE]

This dedication is for the class of 2015

It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I feel fine) -REM

Listened to this on my way home from work...

And it reminded me of this...

haha - Korn :thumbup:, DuranDuran:thumbdown:

I actually never really got in to Korn - that was happening in my Mr. Big phase.

Hawks, I forget- you go to school like somewhere in the midwest right? Or are you just from there? I want to start a med school band...

Also, came across this video and it made me cry hot metallic tears in re: our earlier discussion of Steel Panther:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaxAZpLUExY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

It really is like finding out that there is no Santa... And yes I was taken in by at least Satchels hair (clearly not the one in this video, but still...its not that unrealistic at all - have you even seen dragonforce? And Michael Star's hair IS real.

Members don't see this ad :)
still think pink floyd wish you where here is the best song on the planet

down - stone the crow
tool- rosetta stoned
eminem - anythingg from recovery
any everclear or metallica

I am, I am hungry like the wolf! But I was born in 1985, so I guess I kind of missed out on the Duran Magic?? Having said that, if I could have been a part of any music scene ever, it would have been Sunset Strip crica 1983. Ratt, Skid Row, the Crue, even Metallica starting up. GnR were there, Winger, oh man. Good times...good good times.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread on SDN, period. Volbeat is pretty sick- never heard of them before, but very cool, you should def go see them. I dont know anything about them, but they sound like a mix of the Gothenburg sound and american metal=cool! Just dont get caught in a mosh...hehe.

Everclear and/or metallica=always a good call.

I am, I am hungry like the wolf! But I was born in 1985, so I guess I kind of missed out on the Duran Magic?? Having said that, if I could have been a part of any music scene ever, it would have been Sunset Strip crica 1983. Ratt, Skid Row, the Crue, even Metallica starting up. GnR were there, Winger, oh man. Good times...good good times.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread on SDN, period. Volbeat is pretty sick- never heard of them before, but very cool, you should def go see them. I dont know anything about them, but they sound like a mix of the Gothenburg sound and american metal=cool! Just dont get caught in a mosh...hehe.

Everclear and/or metallica=always a good call.

Don't forget about Slayer bro! :horns:

Why not 'Crush'? Look it up on youtube. I am not a non-trad, but I do know that you guys are so hard working.....if ytou know what I mean.

If-Youre-a-non-traditional-applicant-CLAP-YOUR-HANDS.jpg

I miss this thread so here are some additional songs:

Songs that remind me of the good ol days/childhood:

1) "Unforgiven": ashamed I didn't know this was a metallica song till bout a week ago :lame:. The video was my favorite as a kid even though it's super depressing.

2) "Anything"- SWV. Actually thought they were the female equivalent of NWA. Wanted to be them when I grew up.

3) "Lithium"- Nirvana :love:

4) "Under the Bridge"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Song to sing in the shower: "Fever" -Little Willie John

Ya, I know it's random.

Yea, I want to hate Nirvana for destroying The Metal, but I definitely went through my own Nirvana stage- they're pretty great.

Hawks, Reign in Blood=the musak they play in the elevator ride down to hell=awesome.

And speaking of Slayer, Metallica, Caught in a Mosh, etc, are the big 4 going to tour in the USA? I've been looking forward to it, but kind of quit following the progress when it turned out that they were only interested (shockingly) in touring places with metal fans... ie not here.

Cavalera Conspiracy is at the Fillmore on April 30th. Doubt I'll go to that one, but I do really want to try to make it out for Volbeat.

About "Fever" iin the shower.... awww yeah!:oops:

I like Peggy Lee's version:

[YOUTUBE]JGb5IweiYG8[/YOUTUBE]

My husband likes this song....

[YOUTUBE]CWRDZwV8jGE[/YOUTUBE]

And just found a CD that has the original version of it....

[YOUTUBE]hVg9GcUDArQ[/YOUTUBE]

Creeeeepy song

Cavalera Conspiracy is at the Fillmore on April 30th. Doubt I'll go to that one, but I do really want to try to make it out for Volbeat.

Hold carp dude- I would def go to CC if I could. You in NYC? Lucky bastard - I lived there for a year, loved it, but ran out of $ in a hurry. Now I live in the desert.

While we're posting vids of awesome songs, I have amazingly found occasion to post this video on two other threads tonight already (granted it was a stretch in those two cases), so I'm going for the hattrick. I don't even have to copy the link cause its the last thing I copied. I am loving this song. If I couldn't be a doctor, I'd become a sexy santa.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdB_CM2LxCw[/YOUTUBE]

Someone had to do it
[YOUTUBE]CD2LRROpph0[/YOUTUBE]

but seriously, in today's mood, I'll have to go with
[YOUTUBE]-Z_NvVMUcG8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]jLRifPue5Ss[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]pPG_TCX2Z0k[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XNRttN9fYr0[/YOUTUBE]

New York City?!? *In the Pace picante sauce accent*

Dude! No! That is hella far off! By the lingity, you should know by now I am from California, baby. The Fillmore is in SF. I don't live in SF (thanks be to God, it is way too cold there ;)), but I live close enough.

Someone had to do it

Lolz, I think I was just at their high school doing Every 15 Minutes. Either that, or those are the kids on that goofball show that my daughter likes. Either way, I will not be clicking "play" on that video e-heh-ver again! But whatever rocks your socks, right?:)

New York City?!? *In the Pace picante sauce accent*

Dude! No! That is hella far off! By the lingity, you should know by now I am from California, baby. The Fillmore is in SF. I don't live in SF (thanks be to God, it is way too cold there ;)), but I live close enough.

Lolz, I think I was just at their high school doing Every 15 Minutes. Either that, or those are the kids on that goofball show that my daughter likes. Either way, I will not be clicking "play" on that video e-heh-ver again! But whatever rocks your socks, right?:)

I used to live in the city back when I was a young buck. Whenever I wanted to feel good about myself (or "my friend" needed drugs) I would drive through the Fillmore, and then swing around through the tenderloin.

That's what was so cool about SF, it's like a throw-back city with little pockets of ghetto that come out of no where. I lived in low pac heights, and I could seriously walk to the Fillmore in like 5 minutes. lol

Definitely don't miss the really cold SF temps but I miss not worrying about triple digit heat. The springs and summers are hella nice.

That's what was so cool about SF, it's like a throw-back city with little pockets of ghetto that come out of no where. I lived in low pac heights, and I could seriously walk to the Fillmore in like 5 minutes. lol

That's what I love about SF too! I always tell people, I dont know why, but I need just a lil bit o'ghetto. It just makes me feel more at home.

Yeah, one minute you're strolling down an alright street and the next minute Wham! The horrible odor of human piss exudes from the concrete. That's SF.

And if you need ghetto, you can get some just fine in Oakland, and it is much warmer.

Yeah, one minute you're strolling down an alright street and the next minute Wham! The horrible odor of human piss exudes from the concrete. That's SF.

And if you need ghetto, you can get some just fine in Oakland, and it is much warmer.

I had some friends who lived kinda close to the Tenderloin. They would get drunk and play a game where they'd run through a span of sidewalk that was especially concentrated with human poo. The goal was to avoid the piles using elaborate evasive moves. Style points were awarded.

Rarely ever go to Oakland. My friends love Arizmendi pizza so that would be the only area I really spend time in. I used to think Oakland was a bit too ghetto...then I lived in Richmond :lame:. Nothin like fallin asleep to the sound of screams and gunshots.

I had some friends who lived kinda close to the Tenderloin. They would get drunk and play a game where they'd run through a span of sidewalk that was especially concentrated with human poo. The goal was to avoid the piles using elaborate evasive moves. Style points were awarded.

Lol. Sounds like a good time.

Totally forgot this is the songs thread so here's my pick of the day!

Favorite song to play on Rockband :D: "White Wedding"-Billy Idol

I do vocals and guitar...at the same time. Oh, yes.

Strange video but Billy Idol is hot.

[YOUTUBE]tgFh4RHgn0A[/YOUTUBE]

The only time I really felt like the difference between the sketch and not-so-sketch areas in SF was when you're either on Market/Mission and you go from 5th -> 6th Street. BAM!

As a SF (well, ok Oakland) native in Chicago, it seems like the line between the neighborhoods is a lot less subtle. Being on a grid system out here helps too I suppose.

Since we're picking songs - maybe related to the profession - I'll go with the hybrid and mix both. Listen, download, and learn...

1.) Supergrass - "Sun Hits the Sky" - about a different kind of doctor.
2.) Dr. Dre - "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" - really, a classic. Yes the sexism is obvious and this could get ugly. However, on a strictly lyrical and production kinda vibe, I hereby cut myself off from all subsequent scrutiny.
3.) Cold War Kids - "Hospital Beds" - seriously, just listen to the song. Apparently a true story.
4.) The Pixies - "Debaser" - for the Opthamalogist in all of you... Andalusia!

Cool! Let's hear more...

Since we're picking songs - maybe related to the profession - I'll go with the hybrid and mix both. Listen, download, and learn...

1.) Supergrass - "Sun Hits the Sky" - about a different kind of doctor.
2.) Dr. Dre - "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" - really, a classic. Yes the sexism is obvious and this could get ugly. However, on a strictly lyrical and production kinda vibe, I hereby cut myself off from all subsequent scrutiny.
3.) Cold War Kids - "Hospital Beds" - seriously, just listen to the song. Apparently a true story.
4.) The Pixies - "Debaser" - for the Opthamalogist in all of you... Andalusia!

Cool! Let's hear more...

I like the tying in with doctor thing. I dont know much supergrass, but I don know their best song = pumping on your stereo. I feel like it's the perfect party song, and hilarious video:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqIZBhRrRY[/YOUTUBE]

I wanted to be Paula Abdul when I was little:

[YOUTUBE]WrAPc5o2zo[/YOUTUBE]

Rarely ever go to Oakland. My friends love Arizmendi pizza so that would be the only area I really spend time in. I used to think Oakland was a bit too ghetto...then I lived in Richmond :lame:. Nothin like fallin asleep to the sound of screams and gunshots.

Gotta love the Iron Triangle. Brings us so much (unpaid) business.

Anyways, what with Billy Idol hearkening back to my childhood and all (watching MTV with my big sis).... here is my offering for the day:

[YOUTUBE]eBShN8qT4lk[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a couple more cuz I just can't resist...

This song puts me in such a good mood...

[YOUTUBE]07Y0cy-nvAg[/YOUTUBE]

And this (love it!!).... unfortunately gets rare play in my house... not very minion appropriate

[YOUTUBE]MHJEag0bDJ4[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a little somethin for all the ladies out there....and the dudes (chick is pretty hot as well)

"Wicked Game"-Chris Isaac

[YOUTUBE]-oaHHrNQVrg[/YOUTUBE]

and this is just for me ;)

[YOUTUBE]P0FKzPfsxA4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I could definitely get into this metal discussion (I still wear my GNR/Metallica tour t-shirt), but for a little diversity...

I see your Chris Isaak and raise you the XX (who owe a lot to Wicked Game.)

[YOUTUBE]RpNLMAeey_k[/YOUTUBE]

And I dedicate this song to my future attendings who just LOVE to pimp out their medical students (NSFW VERSION).

[YOUTUBE]Xb8T4xIa3o4[/YOUTUBE]

Someone had to do it

:laugh: Holy Crap. No punch line. No d!ick-in-the-box type satire. She was completely serious. Fun-fun-fun-fun...(Dear God. Why hath thou forsaken us)

With regards to your other post about moods. I need heavy mood altering for hours on end study-induced boredom. Here's my med school standby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw&feature=fvwrel

Something about not understanding what you're doing. Or why. Games being played of which you are only a pawn. Last gulps of laconic sanity slipping. Into questions of...do androids feel? I'm supposed to kill her. But she's too hot. I wonder what a real animal is like. Is there a point. All amidst an appocalyptic darkness.

And to all my Yay Area people. Thanks. for reminding of my four cornered room in exile.

But cheers for actually knowing some 80's music.

I'll see your Rebecca Black and raise you Stephen Colbert.

Sheer brilliance. When my gf showed me the original video, I truly thought it was a SNL thing. Then I found out it wasnt and i cried. Apparently simon cowell said this girl is genious because we are all talking about her... how sad.

:love:
And obligatory response to BB:

Very nice n3xa ;). One of my fav's.

I'll see your Rebecca Black and raise you Stephen Colbert.

I saw this the night it aired and was like crap! I'm starting to like this horrible horrible song. Stephen Colbert's charm can work miracles.

Very nice n3xa ;). One of my fav's.

I saw this the night it aired and was like crap! I'm starting to like this horrible horrible song. Stephen Colbert's charm can work miracles.

I know what you mean. The marketing of pop music has become so sophisticated that it allows for a certain self-ridicule. Such that it can be humorously facetious for seasoned beings and a real groove for tweens. All wrapped around a stangely mind-sticking hook.

They've just gotten too good at this ****. They've made a subversive mockery of the Real **** / wack **** dichotomy. Which is the natural order of the universe.

Last edited:
Regarding the Stephen Colbert video- That is exactly the kind of shenanigans (well except for the legit dance group) that you will see at school fundraising auction dances, unless you leave early enough.

Secondly, if we are going to play 80's makeout music here, you have to have INXS (and I'll go for something a little less well known than "I need you tonight".

[YOUTUBE]QUNRtP3X4CM[/YOUTUBE]

Oops, that was from 1992. I was too young at that time to be making out with anyone anyway. But I was starting to figure out what those songs were talking about! :oops:

Here's a legit 80's song. But not a makeout song.

[YOUTUBE]bJ9r8LMU9bQ[/YOUTUBE]