Favorite Periodical Psych Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhasbeen

shrinkie dink
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is similar to the sticky about books, but I'm inquiring more about periodicals here. Lately I've been going through the massive pile of publications that arrived while I was an intern and thus too busy to look through them. Seems Clinical Psychiatry News is a real winner from what I can tell. Very readable with succinct sections on the various sub-specialties in psych. I also like the APA's news publication (Psychiatric News) for the political slant/advocacy etc. So what're your favorite publications (in paper or electronic) to keep you up to speed on the art? Do you have any favorite journals?

Members don't see this ad.

New England Journal of Medicine: Not psychiatry specific but good for doctors in general.

Current Psychiatry-very good clinical practical articles

American Journal of Psychiatry: good look at psychiatry as a whole with very good scientific articles

Biological Psychiatry-gives very good evidenced based looks into mechanisms of disease

Focus is a quarterly journal that provides an excellent review of a topic in psychiatry (geriatric, anxiety disorders, genetics, etc.). Every resident and faculty member ought to read it. It comes with a handy end of year exam that is good prep for tests and provides CME.

The American Journal of Psychiatry and the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry are also on my monthly "to read" list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Green Journal. Orange Journal for C&A. (So, I'm lazy and like the review setup :))

For biological child psychiatry, I think the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology is excellent.