FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DO 230 step 1 ms3, no research, pass im+ surg so far no honors yet, should i still apply? I'm thinking applying to IM now based on recent competitveness.
Dual apply, do some aways, and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if i dual apply i would need about 6 rec letters so i can send 3 to each saying i wanna do IM vs radiology right?

Yes - getting letters shouldn’t be a problem just ask any attending you have a good rapport with and they’ll most likely say yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i dual apply i would need about 6 rec letters so i can send 3 to each saying i wanna do IM vs radiology right?
You can use a max of four letters. Can submit just three. Only one really needs to be rads. So really just five max.

4 for IM/FM or whatever.

Take out one of the above and substitute a rads letter. Just ask your letter writers not to specify a specialty.

You can use a max of four letters. Can submit just three. Only one really needs to be rads. So really just five max.

4 for IM/FM or whatever.

Take out one of the above and substitute a rads letter. Just ask your letter writers not to specify a specialty.
Is it common for writers to not specify?

Yeah it’s fine. Obviously you want your rads writer to specify. But your other writers can just talk about how you did well on the rotation and how you’d be a great doctor in general.

I guess if you really wanted to, you could ask them to write two. One for each specialty. But I’d spend the whole year worried I sent the rads one to my backups or vice versa.

I did this with my FM letter.

I applied IR, DR, and IM, so when I had a FM preceptor I really vibed with, I had her write me a generic letter. So I used that one for all three. I got multiple comments this interview season on having great letters for both my rads and IM apps, so I don't think anyone had a problem with my generic letter. I really wouldn't have more than letter be generic, though.

Current MS3 from a mid-tier US medical school who is interested in pursuing an integrated IR residency. I made the decision very recently. I scored 260s on step 1. Honored all rotations (besides one, which I have yet to complete). I have 5-6 publications, none of which are IR-related (though some are surgical). I was told by my clinical advisor that without research, it would be an uphill battle. I was curious what your thoughts about my competitiveness/ matching probabilities?

Also, what are your thoughts regarding applying DR and joining the ESIR track? Do you think fellowship spots will become obsolete by the time I apply?

Fellowship spots will not become obsolete.

IR specific research is by no means a necessity. Get letters, honor a home and some aways, maybe take up a small project now.

DR plus ESIR leaves more doors open, but the fellowship applications can be competitive if you don’t come from a top tier institution .

Current MS3 from a mid-tier US medical school who is interested in pursuing an integrated IR residency. I made the decision very recently. I scored 260s on step 1. Honored all rotations (besides one, which I have yet to complete). I have 5-6 publications, none of which are IR-related (though some are surgical). I was told by my clinical advisor that without research, it would be an uphill battle. I was curious what your thoughts about my competitiveness/ matching probabilities?

Also, what are your thoughts regarding applying DR and joining the ESIR track? Do you think fellowship spots will become obsolete by the time I apply?
Its so so easy to get IR through DR. Competition for ESIR spots is very low.

Step 1: 263
Pre-clinical: P/F unranked
Clinical grades: 1 Honor, 2 HP, 2 P (I have surgery and OB left, assume worst case P in both)
Ranking: Will likely be 3rd or 4th quartile
AOA: no
School: Low-Mid Tier MD
Research: I have one research experience but no publications. Will try to get my name on a poster or pub soon though.
Leadership: One longitudinal and one short term experience
LORs: Likely two great letters from IM doctors and will be getting a radiology letter hopefully when I do my radiology elective.

What are my chances at any decent academic program? Definitely concerned about my below average clinical grades and lack of research.
You will likely receive many interviews based on your Step 1 alone. Overall your chances at matching a solid academic program are high, granted you perform well on your interviews. Get some pubs if you can.

Hi everyone. Late to the radiology game after thinking I was going to do ophthalmology. Fell in love with radiology during a third year elective and am excited to go into it. I enjoy IR (but will be applying solely DR for the upcoming cycle).

- Currently on a gap year between 3rd/4th. I'm currently on a gap year, working in a startup on the engineering side, developing a novel imaging modality for early detection of hepatic pathologies.
- Top 15 medical school
- No pre-clinical ranking
- 4th quartile for clinicals (2 honors in surgery and psychiatry. High pass in everything else)
- AOA/GHHS: No
- Step 1: 235
- Step 2: No score, will take later this year.

Recommendation letters obtained:
1. From my ophthalmology mentor (did a clinical rotation + spent 2 years doing research with her)
2. From one of my preceptors from my IM rotation
3. Hopefully should obtain one during my DR elective this coming summer when I return to school.
Do I need another recommendation letter?

Research/Extracurriculars
:
- 37 papers on my CV: vast majority ophthalmology, about 7 in molecular cancer diagnostics
- 1 book chapter in Ophtho
- 19 abstracts/presentations.
- Two research awards: one at an ophthalmology conference, and another at a radiology conference
- I have been awarded 2 patents
- During medical school I was an engineering consultant for a few surgery startups and helped lead product development.

I would ideally like to train at a top academic institution on the coasts that has the infrastructure for me to pursue my research/industry interests. Do I have a shot at these top programs, or am I SOL given my Step 1 and clinical grades?

Thanks so much for the help!
Your 3 LoRs should be fine.
You will match at top academic institution on the coasts. Step score filters are more flexible for med students from top schools, and your 37 papers + ECs will carry you far. Just don't be weird during interviews.

Hi everyone. Considering IR after deciding rad onc wasn't the right fit.

Step 1: 252
Pre-clinical: unranked
Clinical grades: 1 Honor (OB/GYN), 1 HP (Peds) , 3 P (Surgery, Psych, Neuro) - I struggled with shelf exams, no negative comments
Ranking: No clue
School: Mid tier USMD in the Southeast
Research: 6 abstracts Rad Onc (2 1st author), 1 Anesthesia paper from undergrad
ECs: Minimal volunteering, no leadership
LORs: None, I was planning on asking during my upcoming IM core rotation

I'm closing in on the end of my 3rd year and planning for my 4th. Can I salvage my app to be competitive for mid tier programs and if I'm interested in programs in the midwest and northeast, what sort of programs should I applying to aways at?

If you apply to IR and DR you should be ok. Apply very broadly

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to IR and DR you should be ok. Apply very broadly
I think you should be good IR. I had several people in my low tier school change into IR and just match with lower board scores. I think the key is away rotations.

Well, might as well throw my name in this:

USDO Categorial IM intern at a university institution. Decided back in December that perhaps Rads may be a better fit for me. I reached out to our Rads PD and they by chance were approved for an additional spot after the match closed. He had extended a contract offer to another individual but he/she deferred and went elsewhere. I met him last week and we had basically an impromptu interview for about an hour. He said that me being already established (ie onboarding process would be essentially none) and aware of the culture of the hospital were both "feathers in your cap". He had requested I speak to my IM PD before meeting him, which I did and he said he was planning on calling him next week. He essentially wanted to confirm I had the blessing of my own PD (which I did). The Rads PD did make it clear he would be interviewing other applicants, but I was the only one to be doing it in-person by virtue of being at the program. I am also a local so I have ties to the community. Anyways, I sent him my ERAS app, an updated CV (a few publications as an intern), my MSPE, and my USMLE scores (243/237). Per Residency Explorer, my Step scores fall within the "50% range" of matched applicants (they have a lot of DOs also), but obviously I am still anxious about this process. I am sure there will be some uber-star applicants I am going up against. I have to believe my story about why I want to switch and also the fact that I felt my interview went well are pluses for me.

Anyways, fingers crossed it works out.

Edit: I asked him if he needed any additional documents, and he said no. I was wondering if I should ask a faculty attending to write me a LOR, or even write a new PS but I guess it won't be needed.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Specialty: Diagnostic Radiology
  • MD/DO/IMG: MD
  • USMLE Step 1: Pass
  • USMLE Step 2: 239
  • Clinical Grades: average
  • LORs: 2 strong radiology letters, 2 strong letters from Sub-I
  • Research/Publications: multiple case reports, 1 paper
  • Class Rank/Quartile: 3rd quartile
  • Medical school: upper tier Midwest

Last edited:
Hi everyone, rads has gotten more competitive this year anecdotally, so want to ask what people thought given my step 2 score drop. Looking at CA (socal) and NYC (have important family/significant other ties to both).
Step 1: 250
Step 2: 239
Clinical grades: 3 Honors (IM, Primary Care, Psych), 3 HP (OB/Gyn, Peds, Neuro) , 1 P (Surgery)
Ranking: Do not know clinical years ranking yet.
School: Top 20
Research: Took a dedicated research year after M3 (finishing up). 2 first author manuscripts submitted, second author on 2 more (more involved papers, not chart review etc). on ~6 abstracts
ECs: School's Free clinic, had an involved position.
LORs: Planning to get from IM sub-i, Family medicine rotation, PI from research year, PD of rads dept, potentially can get another one from Primary care IM rotation in 3rd year
If you're not picky about programs, you can certainly match into NYC. There are 17 radiology residency programs in NYC + Long Island. I have a close friend who matched into a mid tier rads program in NYC with worse stats than yours this year,

Feeling a little neurotic and would love some insight into where I stand. I'd ideally like to end up in the Northeast or West coast to help my partner with job prospects, but ultimately I'd be very happy with a solid training program where I could feel comfortable in either PP or academics. I'm currently debating MSK vs ESIR for fellowship down the line with more of a leaning towards MSK, and to that end, I'd love to end up at program like TJ, Wisconsin, or Mallinckrodt. However, I grew up and did both med school and undergrad in the south so I understand there might be some regional bias.

Step 1: 260
Step 2: 259
Clinical grades: 1 Honor, 4 HP, 1 P
Ranking: Unknown
School: T25 USMD
Research: 8 total ERAS pubs, 1 first-author paper in a basic science biomechanics journal, and 1 second-author paper in clinical nutrition. The biomechanics work led to many presentations, one of them being a major talk at a national conference that was a finalist for an award. Our radiology rotations also offer an opportunity to submit case presentations on their teaching website, and I currently have one that was really well received and another one that will be submitted at the end of my current rotation. I am also working on a radiology education project with someone who is well known and while the results may not be published in time, this project is part of a distinction track at my school so I believe there will be ample opportunity to talk about this on my PS and at interviews.
LORs: This is my area of concern. I have one radiology letter that I know will be strong based on the feedback from the rotation and the case presentation above. I'm halfway through 1 of 3 more radiology rotations, and I feel confident I will get a strong letter here and can potentially garner more. I also have one research letter from the biomechanics work I did and know this letter will be strong. For my remaining clinical letters I have:
-1 FM letter (this was part of the in-patient FM service that I was on as part of my IM rotation)
-1 Psych letter
-1 Peds letter

My concern is that for our peds and IM rotations, we only work with the attending for 1 week before they switch off. The FM letter writer did not identify this as a concern, but the Peds writer did though they did emphasize they're still happy to write the letter if I cannot find anyone else and that I did do a good job. I worked with my Psych letter writer for 2.5 weeks and feel they can write well to my characteristics, but I'm not sure how it will be received. If I can make 2 Rads, 1 clinical, and 1 research letter work I'm not as concerned, but I worry if I have to rely on clinical letters alone. In addition to providing the Peds letter writer with more examples I was going to do the following:
-Re-contact potential letter writers that have not responded yet
-Contact one of my attendings from our longitudinal outpatient medicine block (I was reluctant about this as this was my first rotation, and I felt like my skillset was far better with my other letter writers
-Consider reaching out to one of my attendings from my recent Ortho AI and see if they'd be willing. (I am concerned they might write a lukewarm letter upon finding out I am switching from Ortho to Rads)

I would love insight on my prospects for the upcoming cycle, and if I am appropriately concerned about my LORs or if I'm sitting in a good spot.
dude for real, you have a 260 step and stacked resume. what do you want to hear? You will get an interview from any program in the country

Feeling a little neurotic and would love some insight into where I stand. I'd ideally like to end up in the Northeast or West coast to help my partner with job prospects, but ultimately I'd be very happy with a solid training program where I could feel comfortable in either PP or academics. I'm currently debating MSK vs ESIR for fellowship down the line with more of a leaning towards MSK, and to that end, I'd love to end up at program like TJ, Wisconsin, or Mallinckrodt. However, I grew up and did both med school and undergrad in the south so I understand there might be some regional bias.

Research: 8 total ERAS pubs, 1 first-author paper in a basic science biomechanics journal, and 1 second-author paper in clinical nutrition. The biomechanics work led to many presentations, one of them being a major talk at a national conference that was a finalist for an award. Our radiology rotations also offer an opportunity to submit case presentations on their teaching website, and I currently have one that was really well received and another one that will be submitted at the end of my current rotation. I am also working on a radiology education project with someone who is well known and while the results may not be published in time, this project is part of a distinction track at my school so I believe there will be ample opportunity to talk about this on my PS and at interviews.
LORs: This is my area of concern. I have one radiology letter that I know will be strong based on the feedback from the rotation and the case presentation above. I'm halfway through 1 of 3 more radiology rotations, and I feel confident I will get a strong letter here and can potentially garner more. I also have one research letter from the biomechanics work I did and know this letter will be strong. For my remaining clinical letters I have:
-1 FM letter (this was part of the in-patient FM service that I was on as part of my IM rotation)
-1 Psych letter
-1 Peds letter

My concern is that for our peds and IM rotations, we only work with the attending for 1 week before they switch off. The FM letter writer did not identify this as a concern, but the Peds writer did though they did emphasize they're still happy to write the letter if I cannot find anyone else and that I did do a good job. I worked with my Psych letter writer for 2.5 weeks and feel they can write well to my characteristics, but I'm not sure how it will be received. If I can make 2 Rads, 1 clinical, and 1 research letter work I'm not as concerned, but I worry if I have to rely on clinical letters alone. In addition to providing the Peds letter writer with more examples I was going to do the following:
-Contact one of my attendings from our longitudinal outpatient medicine block (I was reluctant about this as this was my first rotation, and I felt like my skillset was far better with my other letter writers
-Consider reaching out to one of my attendings from my recent Ortho AI and see if they'd be willing. (I am concerned they might write a lukewarm letter upon finding out I am switching from Ortho to Rads)

I would love insight on my prospects for the upcoming cycle, and if I am appropriately concerned about my LORs or if I'm sitting in a good spot.
This comes off as really tone deaf and fishing for compliments. I know you might be nervous but this comes off that disingenous. Grow some balls. You know as a 260+ from a T25 you're gonna be fine. If you don't know that, you're either an idiot or a level of social misfit nobody has ever seen.

Reactions: 4 users

-1 Psych letter
-1 Peds letter

Prep 4 soap

Step 1: 255
Step 2: 257
Clinical grades: Honors in Rads and IM
Ranking: Top quartile
AOA: hah, right
School: IMG, might as well have pulled out my diploma from a cereal box amirite.
Research: 6 pubs on cureus (spare me), 1 main author rad focused, 5 coauthor IM focus.

Will apply both Rads/IM. Shoot for the stars, they say..
Roast me boiz

School: IMG, might as well have pulled out my diploma from a cereal box amirite.
Research: 6 pubs on cureus (spare me), 1 main author rad focused, 5 coauthor IM focus.

Roast me boiz

Lol’d at the spare me comment

Roast me boiz
I don't know if this post is in jest but, a tip for IMGs:

Look into the roster of residency programs and target those with IMGs. To find the most recently matched applicants, check out the program's twitter or instagram page.

I don't know if this post is in jest but, a tip for IMGs:

Look into the roster of residency programs and target those with IMGs. To find the most recently matched applicants, check out the program's twitter or instagram page.
It is not in jest, only somewhat satirical. Thanks for the advice, I have already identified IMG tolerating Rads programs and will apply to all 99 of them.

Hey everyone, just wanted to get a gauge of where I stand. It seems like rads was pretty competitive last year and I'm hoping I can match at a good academic program. I’m sort of worried that my step 1 score will affect me but was hoping the rest of my app can somewhat balance my lower score.

Current Status: MS4
School: Mid-tier US MD
Step 1: 235
Step 2: 252
Pre-clinical: P/F, however, grades were factored into the class ranking.
Clinical grades: Honored every rotation
Class Ranking: Top quartile
AOA: was nominated by a faculty member but will hear about the decision in late August
Research:
6 Publications/Abstracts/Posters
- one first author and one second author pub
2 Case-in-point articles are preliminary accepted and completing submission currently
EC’s:
Three leadership positions
Three service experiences; continued one of them since undergrad and have extensively volunteered
Division 1 athlete; not sure if this matters any more but was something to talk about during med school applications
LORs:
4 letters right now (surgery/sub-I/ICU/rads).

Hey everyone, just wanted to get a gauge of where I stand. It seems like rads was pretty competitive last year and I'm hoping I can match at a good academic program. I’m sort of worried that my step 1 score will affect me but was hoping the rest of my app can somewhat balance my lower score.

AOA: was nominated by a faculty member but will hear about the decision in late August
Research:
2 Case-in-point articles are preliminary accepted and completing submission currently
EC’s:
Three service experiences; continued one of them since undergrad and have extensively volunteered
Division 1 athlete; not sure if this matters any more but was something to talk about during med school applications
LORs:
from what I have heard is you should be fine due to your clinical grades as well as respectable scores.

Research:
EC’s:
LORs:

I think you'll be fine, just apply broadly and sell up your ECs during the interview.

Hey with the recent match data I wanted to get some thoughts on my application

Current Status: OMS4
School: DO school

Step 1: 244-246
Level 1: 61x

Step 2: 233-235
Level 2: pending

Pre-clinical: top quartile (3.8 ish gpa)
Clinical grades: variable (Hs, HP, P)
Research:
8 Publications/Abstracts/Posters
- one oral presentation in radiology
- one case report in readiology
several posters, a few case reports, 1-2 papers submitted but not accepted yet

EC’s:
not a whole lot. one volunteer experience. few other minor things but nothing crazy

LORs:
- 1 in Rads
- 1 in IM
- 1 in ortho
- 1 in neurosurgery

My concerns are step 2 is lower than step 1 and being a DO, especially with new match data. So my question is what are my chances, how many applications, and what LOR other than rads should I use or should I try and get more. I currently only have one away at home program but am trying to arrange for hopefully 2 more. I am not looking to go anywhere competitive, although southeast would be preferred. Thanks

Wanting to switch last minute from Anesthesiology

Step 1: 265
Step 2: 275
Clinical grades: All 6H
AOA: yes
School: T50 MD (Cincinnati, Colorado tier)
Research: i have a lot of presentations and posters. 2ish things submitted to publish and 2 case reports submitted to publish. Am working in the fall at an outside hospital fellowship on social determinants of health, will get a few first and middle authors from it but after eras.
ECs: above average, not insane.
LORs: 3 super super strong letters. 1 from gas attending, 1 from gas chair, 1 from IM subi attending.

What’re the odds I can just apply categorical programs without any rads elective or letter and match a decent one (like top 25)?
You should look into categorical programs, as there aren’t many. You’ll probably be fine to match a program, and there are many “decent” ones outside the top 25.

You should look into categorical programs, as there aren’t many. You’ll probably be fine to match a program, and there are many “decent” ones outside the top 25.
Sorry was multitasking while I wrote that. Meant "categorical programs or top 25-30 advanced."

Kind of an odd situation, hoping y'all could provide input. Looking to apply for the '22-23 cycle.

Currently: PGY-2 DO in psychiatry (Western region)
Step 1: 250-260
Step 2: 250-260
COMLEX: 98%+ for Level 1/2/3
Pre-clinical: Top 10%
Clinical grades: All honors
Ranking: Top 10%
AOA: DO equivalent
School: DO
Research: 1 rads case report, another in process. 1 translational rads pub that's been submitted. Presented case report at a conference.
Leadership: Few decent extracurriculars in med school and leadership at my program.
LORs: Confident I can get excellent LoRs from the medicine attendings I worked with as an intern and likely some radiologists at my hospital.

Unfortunately, my program/med school does not have a rads program. I would prefer to stay out West (family is here) but would be willing to go anywhere.

Wanting to switch last minute from Anesthesiology

Step 1: 265
Step 2: 275
Clinical grades: All 6H
AOA: yes
School: T50 MD (Cincinnati, Colorado tier)
Research: i have a lot of presentations and posters. 2ish things submitted to publish and 2 case reports submitted to publish. Am working in the fall at an outside hospital fellowship on social determinants of health, will get a few first and middle authors from it but after eras.
ECs: above average, not insane.
LORs: 3 super super strong letters. 1 from gas attending, 1 from gas chair, 1 from IM subi attending.

What’re the odds I can just apply categorical programs without any rads elective or letter and match a decent one (like top 25)?
You should really try to get one rads letter from your home program. Why can't you switch into an elective rotation this month or next? If you're really serious about switching to rads, you need to reach out to the pd of your home program and/or the attending in charge of med student education explaining your situation.

hey everyone

Step 1: ~240
Step 2: ~260
Research: 2 publication (1 submitted and 1 published) + co-author on RSNA presentations/other radiology presentations (~10)

Low tier MD, will be AOA.

What are my chances at top 25 radiology programs? Will be step 1 and school name drag me down? Is it worth even signaling?

hey everyone

Research: 2 publication (1 submitted and 1 published) + co-author on RSNA presentations/other radiology presentations (~10)

What are my chances at top 25 radiology programs? Will be step 1 and school name drag me down? Is it worth even signaling?
You should be able to match a solid academic program. It also depends a lot on the geography. Mayo and Mallinckrodt are less competitive for example than Stanford, MGH, BWH solely because of their location. Most people matching at those latter type places have an additional x factor you don't have eg: elite medical school, elite research / phd, URM, etc.

hey everyone

I had better scores without AOA and I did not receive interviews in the top 20. That being said, you should signal the places you want to go, not the best "name"

I had better scores without AOA and I did not receive interviews in the top 20. That being said, you should signal the places you want to go, not the best "name"
can you expand on your application on why you might not have received interviews in top 20? I tried to direct message but was not able to. Feel free to dm me

can you expand on your application on why you might not have received interviews in top 20? I tried to direct message but was not able to. Feel free to dm me
Top 20 in any specialty will be competitive. Rads was especially competitive last year. My app just wasnt one of the "best" in the cycle.

I think to land top interviews you should at least two of the following: tons of research, top scores/grades, or some "interesting" factor.

Top 20 in any specialty will be competitive. Rads was especially competitive last year. My app just wasnt one of the "best" in the cycle.

I think to land top interviews you should at least two of the following: tons of research, top scores/grades, or some "interesting" factor.
sucks 260 isnt considered top grades nowadays lol

sucks 260 isnt considered top grades nowadays lol
260 is great. 240 is not. Your research isn't particularly impressive. And you didn't mention any other interesting aspect to your app. Your best chance at top interviews is your AOA status.

School: low tier MD school
Step 1: low 230s
Step 2: low 250s
Pre-clinical: P/F
Class Ranking: 3rd quartile
Research: 5 publications (2 first author, 3 second author; mix of basic/clinical research; a couple radiology case reports submitted and pending)

Planning to apply very broadly. Chances of matching anywhere?
Thoughts on how low step 1 score compares to those with P/F?

School: low tier MD school
Step 1: low 230s
Step 2: low 250s
Pre-clinical: P/F
Class Ranking: 3rd quartile
Research: 5 publications (2 first author, 3 second author; mix of basic/clinical research; a couple radiology case reports submitted and pending)

Planning to apply very broadly. Chances of matching anywhere?
Thoughts on how low step 1 score compares to those with P/F?
A friend of mine had high 230s step 1, mid 240s step 2 and lower research output than you and still matched mid tier university program in the northeast. You will match if you apply broadly.

Hi all, trying to figure out which programs to look at with a P/F Step 1 for 2023-2024 cycle.

Main questions:
1. Is it worth applying to schools where my Step 2 is below their 25th percentile (according to AMA Residency Explorer)? Would this be a good method of ruling out programs since I don't have the most "wow" application?
2. Should Top 10/20/30 programs be on my list at all (besides my home institution)?
3. Any recommendations for what else to do during my year off besides research and vacation?

Current Status: Research year between MS3-MS4.
School: T20.
Step 1: P.
Step 2: 246.
Pre-clinical: P/F unranked.
Clinical grades: 1H, 3NH, 3P (medicine, surgery, neuro yikes).
Class Ranking: 3rd quartile.
Research: 3 papers (two 1st authors), 1 oral, 5 poster.
Other: DR, IR, and LGBT interest groups; free clinic volunteering.

Hi all, trying to figure out which programs to look at with a P/F Step 1 for 2023-2024 cycle.

Main questions:
1. Is it worth applying to schools where my Step 2 is below their 25th percentile (according to AMA Residency Explorer)? Would this be a good method of ruling out programs since I don't have the most "wow" application?
2. Should Top 10/20/30 programs be on my list at all (besides my home institution)?
3. Any recommendations for what else to do during my year off besides research and vacation?

Current Status: Research year between MS3-MS4.
School: T20.
Step 1: P.
Step 2: 246.
Pre-clinical: P/F unranked.
Clinical grades: 1H, 3NH, 3P (medicine, surgery, neuro yikes).
Class Ranking: 3rd quartile.
Research: 3 papers (two 1st authors), 1 oral, 5 poster.
Other: DR, IR, and LGBT interest groups; free clinic volunteering.

Apply broadly. You only lose some money

US IMG

Step 1 245
step 2 253
1 rads LOR from dc
1 rads LOR from PD
3 cushion LORs from other specialties
1st quartile, class rank 6/110
only one P on an elective, the rest are all honors
1 published abstract, 2 submitted abstracts for rads
im applying to 148 programs, willing to go anywhere as long as I can practice

US IMG

Step 1 245
step 2 253
1 rads LOR from dc
1 rads LOR from PD
From what I’ve seen, going to be a long shot. Hopefully you’re dual applying. Rads only getting more competitive. A few people at my USMD school with those stats didn’t match this previous year

US IMG

Step 1 245
step 2 253
1 rads LOR from dc
1 rads LOR from PD
Apply to every program in the US. Dual apply to FM.

Apply to every program in the US. Dual apply to FM.
Would it make more sense for him/her to dual apply IM so that they could take one more chance, while also getting the prelim year? Or is IM much more competitive than FM such that he/she would need to do applications for DR, IM, prelim IM, and FM

From what I’ve seen, going to be a long shot. Hopefully you’re dual applying. Rads only getting more competitive. A few people at my USMD school with those stats didn’t match this previous year
how did several MD with those stats not match? 240 over is 90% match rate

You're right, it's actually 93%. If those people didn't match, it wasn't because of their scores...
I've been told interviews and make or break you whether you are IMG or USMD.
Would it make more sense for him/her to dual apply IM so that they could take one more chance, while also getting the prelim year? Or is IM much more competitive than FM such that he/she would need to do applications for DR, IM, prelim IM, and FM
I'm actually dual applying IM. IM is not that competitive, plenty of friends with lower scores have matched. But I really want DR.