FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of applicants have a general idea of what programs looking for in applicants. Every year people post their stats and ask about their chances, perhaps seeking a little reassurance. It's ok I've been there myself.

Good news for future applicants rads is relatively less competitive than its peak 2-3 years ago, as less people are applying for the same number of spots (self-selection?).

Obviously what the programs want: High board scores, High class rank/AOA, good letters of recommendation, research (any kind, but obviously meaningful rads research is better). These factors determine whether you are invited for an interview.

Boards: Step 1 >= 240 will give you a good chance of matching somewhere. 220 is generally the effective minimum cut off for an interview.

Step 2 counts less than step 1, because not all people are required to take it at the time of application. A good step 2 can help offset a bad step1, but again, its preferrable to do well on step 1 in the first place. If you did well on step 1, and you aren't required to take step 2 before you apply, then don't take it. If you have to take it, try to do as well or better than on your step 1.

Grades: Obviously the higher the better. AOA status gives you a high likelihood of matching, probably at one of your top choices. First quartile will give you a good probability of matching somewhere. Try to be at least in the top half of your class.

Letters: try to have good letters of rec. They don't have to be from radiology faculty. Its best to get a great letter from a bigwig. Next best thing is a great letter from a nobody. A generic letter from a bigwig is meaningless.

Research: it matters if you want to go to a big research institution. But realistically how much time do you have to do productive (leading to publication) research in medical school? If you get published you are exceptional. Basic research is the most impressive followed by clinical followed by case reports. Again, your research doesn't have to be in radiology, but if it is, even better.

Lastly reputation of school: If you come from a highranking/ivy school, it may impress some lower ranking programs, and some of those high ranking programs like to take there own. If you are from a state or lower ranking school, it won't hurt you, as long as you have everything I've mentioned before.

IMG status is a hurdle, as most programs like to take well qualified american grads over well qualified IMGs. If you are an american citizen and an IMG, it will raise the question of why you didn't go to an American med school.
I've seen some stellar IMGs come through that ended up matching at some top programs because these people were rockstars in their own country.

There is still probably bias against DO's.

Again, if the more of the afformentioned stats you have the better. Average boards can be offset by having good stats in everything else. Average grades can be off set by good boards. Etc.

Again these factors will get you an interview. If you get an interview, congrats, you're in the running. If you don't come off as a total tool, a bore, or a boor, you will get ranked. A good interview won't necessarily trump the afformentioned factors unless you have cult-leader charisma. I've seen that bump an 'average' candidate into the top ranks. But again, your interview performance will not drastically alter your ranking. Usually ranks are based on the first factors, modified by your interview performance.

Ok... number of programs: obviously the more you apply to, the more interviews you are likely to get. The more you get the more likely you will match somewhere.
If you are competitive aim for 20-25 programs so you get 10-12 interviews. If you are less competitve go higher, try to get more interviews. If you don't think you are a competitive applicant, you can hail mary and apply very broadly, and go to as many interviews as you can afford. There are regional biases. You're best chance of matching is in your home region. As an outsider it takes an act of god to match in california. Its also pretty competitive to match in the big cities in the northeast, because a lot of people end up applying there. As an outsider it is probably easiest to match in the midwest and southeast.

Anyways, thats all I have time to contribute at the time. Please, please future applicants read this and use the search function before you ask a question that has been asked, and ANSWERED before.

Ultimately your chances are based on the factors mentioned above. Nothing is 100% but if you have all the factors above you have a very high chance of matching, if you lack a lot of the factors above, your chances are slim. If you are somewhere in between then your chances will be somewhere inbetween.

Good luck :luck: , I'll post more when I can!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
dear Hans

You have solved problems of many people. Thanks for your time & effort.
If you get more time do tell me that if I match into radio & I'm not able to match in TY. what happens???? Do Rad people give you a spot after you arrange a TY, even if that means next year.

doc_radio said:
dear Hans

You have solved problems of many people. Thanks for your time & effort.
If you get more time do tell me that if I match into radio & I'm not able to match in TY. what happens???? Do Rad people give you a spot after you arrange a TY, even if that means next year.

As far as not matching your TY or prelim year-- Some programs offer a 5 year program which effectively integrates the transitional/prelim year. Others offer just 4 years and expect you to get your TY/prelim on your own. If you don't match TY or prelim, its not the end of the world. It will not cancel a match into a 4 year rads program. You can very easily scramble into a prelim year in medicine or surgery (plenty to go around). I've even heard of some people arranging to do 1 year of a family practice residency as a substitute for a transitional year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances of matching? Advice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently ending my 3rd year
Step 1 244/99, havent taken step 2 yet
Preclinical- mostly H and HP, some P
Clinical- mix of HP and P

Havent done Rads elective yet
No research experience yet
Some extracurriculars

What are my chances of matching after 4th year rads electives, any advice from others as far as electives, etc?

May I suggest that the moderator "sticky" this thread?

hans19 said:
I think the majority of applicants have a general idea of what programs looking for in applicants. Every year people post their stats and ask about their chances, perhaps seeking a little reassurance. It's ok I've been there myself.

Good news for future applicants rads is relatively less competitive than its peak 2-3 years ago, as less people are applying for the same number of spots (self-selection?).

Obviously what the programs want: High board scores, High class rank/AOA, good letters of recommendation, research (any kind, but obviously meaningful rads research is better). These factors determine whether you are invited for an interview.

Boards: Step 1 >= 240 will give you a good chance of matching somewhere. 220 is generally the effective minimum cut off for an interview.

Step 2 counts less than step 1, because not all people are required to take it at the time of application. A good step 2 can help offset a bad step1, but again, its preferrable to do well on step 1 in the first place. If you did well on step 1, and you aren't required to take step 2 before you apply, then don't take it. If you have to take it, try to do as well or better than on your step 1.

Grades: Obviously the higher the better. AOA status gives you a high likelihood of matching, probably at one of your top choices. First quartile will give you a good probability of matching somewhere. Try to be at least in the top half of your class.

Letters: try to have good letters of rec. They don't have to be from radiology faculty. Its best to get a great letter from a bigwig. Next best thing is a great letter from a nobody. A generic letter from a bigwig is meaningless.

Research: it matters if you want to go to a big research institution. But realistically how much time do you have to do productive (leading to publication) research in medical school? If you get published you are exceptional. Basic research is the most impressive followed by clinical followed by case reports. Again, your research doesn't have to be in radiology, but if it is, even better.

Lastly reputation of school: If you come from a highranking/ivy school, it may impress some lower ranking programs, and some of those high ranking programs like to take there own. If you are from a state or lower ranking school, it won't hurt you, as long as you have everything I've mentioned before.

IMG status is a hurdle, as most programs like to take well qualified american grads over well qualified IMGs. If you are an american citizen and an IMG, it will raise the question of why you didn't go to an American med school.
I've seen some stellar IMGs come through that ended up matching at some top programs because these people were rockstars in their own country.

There is still probably bias against DO's.

Again, if the more of the afformentioned stats you have the better. Average boards can be offset by having good stats in everything else. Average grades can be off set by good boards. Etc.

Again these factors will get you an interview. If you get an interview, congrats, you're in the running. If you don't come off as a total tool, a bore, or a boor, you will get ranked. A good interview won't necessarily trump the afformentioned factors unless you have cult-leader charisma. I've seen that bump an 'average' candidate into the top ranks. But again, your interview performance will not drastically alter your ranking. Usually ranks are based on the first factors, modified by your interview performance.

Ok... number of programs: obviously the more you apply to, the more interviews you are likely to get. The more you get the more likely you will match somewhere.
If you are competitive aim for 20-25 programs so you get 10-12 interviews. If you are less competitve go higher, try to get more interviews. If you don't think you are a competitive applicant, you can hail mary and apply very broadly, and go to as many interviews as you can afford. There are regional biases. You're best chance of matching is in your home region. As an outsider it takes an act of god to match in california. Its also pretty competitive to match in the big cities in the northeast, because a lot of people end up applying there. As an outsider it is probably easiest to match in the midwest and southeast.

Anyways, thats all I have time to contribute at the time. Please, please future applicants read this and use the search function before you ask a question that has been asked, and ANSWERED before.

Ultimately your chances are based on the factors mentioned above. Nothing is 100% but if you have all the factors above you have a very high chance of matching, if you lack a lot of the factors above, your chances are slim. If you are somewhere in between then your chances will be somewhere inbetween.

Good luck :luck: , I'll post more when I can!
Another excellent post.

Voxel should be removed as moderator (I can still beg, correct?).

Neuronix said:
If you guys wanna nominate anything else for the sticky, let me know...
Can voxel as moderator be removed? Voxel hasn't posted anything in a year and there are many other more helpful residents on here (hans, f_w) that actually take the time to POST.

bigfrank said:
Can voxel as moderator be removed? Voxel hasn't posted anything in a year and there are many other more helpful residents on here (hans, f_w) that actually take the time to POST.

I smell mutiny in the air ;)

let's say you have a person w/ a step 1 score ~200 and who has research experience (but no publications) and p's in a school w/ honors...any chance of getting into a specialty like radiology? would a much better score on step 2 help at all?? and/or getting good recs and doing well 3rd year?

abcdef said:
let's say you have a person w/ a step 1 score ~200 and who has research experience (but no publications) and p's in a school w/ honors...any chance of getting into a specialty like radiology? would a much better score on step 2 help at all?? and/or getting good recs and doing well 3rd year?

a 200 score = done, as said above usually minimum cutoff near 220

abcdef said:

As stated in the FAQ the two BIGGEST factors in getting an interview, Step I and Grades. Unfortunately your step I may automatically shut you out of a lot of interviews- even if your step II is stellar. You will need exceptional grades (honors, not passes) to make up for step I. Unpublished research will not add much. Stellar letters won't make up for a bad Step I and average Grades.

I won't say its impossible, but it definitely won't be easy. You will have to apply very broadly and just see what happens.
Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hans,

I really appreciate your posts so far. It seems that what I am garnering from them is that most schools are going to use some sort of formula based on step 1, grades, etc.

It sounds like you were a strong applicant yourself, and I was wondering if you knew if grades + class rank were adjusted based on the competitiveness of the applicant's medical school. i.e. did the guy from WashU with 0-1 honors get the same interviews as the AOA guy from podunk u?

hey all
this is a very useful thread. I hate doing this but I am curious as to what people think my chances are and what I need to do at this point. I am an MSIII at a top 50 school with average pre-clinicals (the equivalent of all B's with one A)and a 226/92 on my step1. I really want to end up at a university program on the east coast in a city or in the surrounding suburbs with the ability to teach, etc. Where do I stand right now and what should I be doing besides getting great grades this year.
thanks a ton

anybody have any suggestions out there?? pretty please

jimmyneutron said:
anybody have any suggestions out there?? pretty please
It's all about the cheese dip. Plenty of dip.

You need to just try to get into a program.

Try to ingratiate yourself with a radiologist with committee pull at a less competitive program in the region you prefer and get good letters. Do well on Step 2.

Jimmy:

I think you will get many interviews at mid level university programs. Your best shot will probably be to match at your home institution. The Step 1 cutoff of 220 frequently mentioned seems to apply mainly to unversity programs. It is not the cutoff for simply matching as many posters seem to imply... as one can match at community programs with lower scores. The caveat, however, is if you are attempting to match in New york, boston, or calif.... where higher overall scores may be required.

I know these posts can be tiresome, but it's a bit of a unique situation I believe.

I'm a DO student with a 238/96 and probably somewhere in the 2nd quartile of my class, maybe lower part of that quartile (3.0). I go to a FL school, and would love to stay in FL, but ANY program in the country would be a happy home to me. No research. Letters from known radiologists will be difficult to impossible for me to come by as a DO student with no connection to programs.

Are my boardscores enough to make me competitive for matching anywhere?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, I know similar posts are a dime a dozen, but I really don't know where I stand.

radiology.jpg

This seems like a good graph for the FAQ...maybe cut down on the myth that you need a 240 to be competitive in rads.

I know these posts can be tiresome, but it's a bit of a unique situation I believe.

I'm a DO student with a 238/96 and probably somewhere in the 2nd quartile of my class, maybe lower part of that quartile (3.0). I go to a FL school, and would love to stay in FL, but ANY program in the country would be a happy home to me. No research. Letters from known radiologists will be difficult to impossible for me to come by as a DO student with no connection to programs.

Are my boardscores enough to make me competitive for matching anywhere?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, I know similar posts are a dime a dozen, but I really don't know where I stand.

No replies for me in 2 weeks?:(

I would really recommend starting a new thread rather than posting a reply in a FAQ thread. You could try posting on Aunt Minnie's forums too.

man all of this talk about competitiveness and Rads including other specialities these days, and I know personally of a girl who failed step I three times. Finally barely passed, dont know about step 2, or how she did, and she subsequently matched into a Radiology/ Transitional year program built into one being an FMG and not good medical school grades. As a matter of fact she failed a year, no publications or US clinical experience whatsoever. She had connections though. Man just nuts, and people here and elsewhere want to talk about how difficult it is to get into a Radiology program. Granted without any connections and being just a straight outsider it probably is.

this particular girl was not even close to that matter of fact her first step I attempt was in the lower 50s two digit.
I mean excellent money great lifestyle, and remains one of the top dogs on the competitiveness side residency wise. I know people who worked incredibly hard for years to finally land a spot with good scores on the flip side of that.

man all of this talk about competitiveness and Rads including other specialities these days, and I know personally of a girl who failed step I three times. Finally barely passed, dont know about step 2, or how she did, and she subsequently matched into a Radiology/ Transitional year program built into one being an FMG and not good medical school grades. As a matter of fact she failed a year, no publications or US clinical experience whatsoever. She had connections though. Man just nuts, and people here and elsewhere want to talk about how difficult it is to get into a Radiology program. Granted without any connections and being just a straight outsider it probably is.

this particular girl was not even close to that matter of fact her first step I attempt was in the lower 50s two digit.
I mean excellent money great lifestyle, and remains one of the top dogs on the competitiveness side residency wise. I know people who worked incredibly hard for years to finally land a spot with good scores on the flip side of that.

If this story is true, it is one of a rare few cases. However, it does emphasize the importance of face time and networking. In life, it is often more about who you know than what you know. For instance, a person that has a family member on the Rads faculty with sub par grades and USMLE scores probably has a better chance of gaining a residency spot than some one more qualified, just because of who they know. This is just how life works.

If this story is true, it is one of a rare few cases. However, it does emphasize the importance of face time and networking. In life, it is often more about who you know than what you know. For instance, a person that has a family member on the Rads faculty with sub par grades and USMLE scores probably has a better chance of gaining a residency spot than some one more qualified, just because of who they know. This is just how life works.

the story is more than true, if requested I can pm you the website of the program and photo, however admittedly not usmle scores or school rank, which was next to the bottom. On top of this it is a top caliber Radiology program, couldnt agree more its who you know in life. Also I would not go so far as to call it few and rare either believe me. As I mentioned to you above, I know of people who worked incredibly hard and had good USMLE scores who couldnt match for a few years but ended up matching.
I am just sick and tired of hearing you need 240+ on step I to even get an interview, after seeing with my own eyes people getting in with significantly lower credentials.

Reactions: 1 user
the story is more than true, if requested I can pm you the website of the program and photo, however admittedly not usmle scores or school rank, which was next to the bottom. On top of this it is a top caliber Radiology program, couldnt agree more its who you know in life. Also I would not go so far as to call it few and rare either believe me. As I mentioned to you above, I know of people who worked incredibly hard and had good USMLE scores who couldnt match for a few years but ended up matching.
I am just sick and tired of hearing you need 240+ on step I to even get an interview, after seeing with my own eyes people getting in with significantly lower credentials.

From what I have gathered from talking with people here and speaking to those currently going through the match, I don't think one needs a 240 to get an interview. Just look at the AAMC USMLE data and you can see people match with less than 220's. I have been in contact with several programs and some will say they would like to see >220 for an interview or to be a competitive candidate while other would like 240. I believe it just depends on the type of program you want to attend. If someone has a 240+ and research, they must have some personality issues, some sort of red flag or didn't apply to enough programs.

hi i have applied for rads residency. just wanna know how much reesrach in the area of radiology going to help. i am an IMG. currently working for a clinical reserach involving MRI in a top university.

thanks

hi i have applied for rads residency. just wanna know how much reesrach in the area of radiology going to help. i am an IMG. currently working for a clinical reserach involving MRI in a top university.

thanks
research will definately help..

you should also try to get good letters of rec from radiologists who work in this country

I am a 3rd year and have been interested in Radiology since undergrad and it is now time to really put everything together. I am hoping some of you may help see some glaring holes and give me some honest feedback. As I list this stuff I am not trying to say "will I match? I have no idea" because I have researched this stuff heavily. And I am not trying to throw out my stats like "look at me", I just want to give all the info and get some good feedback.

-Top 1/4 at state medical school through first 2 years.
-2 Honors in rotations thus far.
-Research in undergraduate and some in med school, no pubs!
-Step 1: 240s
-Should get some solid letters but probably not from the p53 awards list

Any chance at: Cali schools (I am an east coaster), Duke, JH, Vandy, Emory, UVA, Georgetown or do I need to get back on my Haldol?

Should I take step 2 early and try to rock it?

Thanks

I am a 3rd year and have been interested in Radiology since undergrad and it is now time to really put everything together. I am hoping some of you may help see some glaring holes and give me some honest feedback. As I list this stuff I am not trying to say "will I match? I have no idea" because I have researched this stuff heavily. And I am not trying to throw out my stats like "look at me", I just want to give all the info and get some good feedback.

-Top 1/4 at state medical school through first 2 years.
-2 Honors in rotations thus far.
-Research in undergraduate and some in med school, no pubs!
-Step 1: 240s
-Should get some solid letters but probably not from the p53 awards list

Any chance at: Cali schools (I am an east coaster), Duke, JH, Vandy, Emory, UVA, Georgetown or do I need to get back on my Haldol?

Should I take step 2 early and try to rock it?

Thanks
No on taking step 2 early. You have little to gain and potentially your entire candidacy at competitive programs to lose.

Scoring letters on your clerkships is always good, though keep in mind that you really don't need multiple radiology letters--in fact, many programs discourage submitting more than one.

If I were you, I'd focus on research resulting in pubs for the more academic institutions and earning solid clerkship grades for everybody else.

Just recently decided to do rads (now taking year out). 249 on step 1. Third year: one honors (med) the rest pass/ high pass. Did an elective, nothing special on feedback.

But no research (and no hope of achieving that before next year due to previous committments).

I want to be at a university program in the northern half of the country, and am realistic those programs won't end up being "elite" ones.

I'm hoping to get a list of programs to start looking at, with likelihood of matching there. Suggestions?

From the denials I have been getting I sort of have an amount of how many people are applying this year. For example, UF said in email they had almost 500 apps, UMICH almost 600, Duke 600, Tufts 540 wow!

For 189 programs including categoricals, minimum 2 spots each, max is I think 8 spots. Average being around 3 spots being pessimistic, thats 3x189=567 spots in the nation. Plus the people that didnt apply to those programs, plus international = barely any spots leftover if I assume that these numbers are close to the real deal. Anybody have an exact figure on how many spots are in all the programs?

Edit: Some programs have told me 700 applicants now.
This is so random, I have not included Regional applicants that only choose their region, and apply to multiple fields. Increasing the Rads application#, How about the people that apply to Rads but also apply to an easier field as a backup. I feel now that there are around 1000 apps around the country. ideas?

I thought that my 12 interviews were enough to match at one of them, regardless of how good of a candidate I am. Has anyone gone on 12 and not matched?

I thought that my 12 interviews were enough to match at one of them, regardless of how good of a candidate I am. Has anyone gone on 12 and not matched?

If your a strong or competitive candidate, 12 is almost a guarantee. If you are less competitive and got your 12 by shotgunning applications, 12 is reassuring, but its no guarantee. Yes one of my good friends got 16 interviews and still didn't match, but there were reasons. You'll only know if its enough on match day. Overapplying hurts the match process and other applicants, but from the individual standpoint I still think its better to have ranked too many, than not enough.

-H

According to the 2005 stats, there were only 8 US seniors with 6 or more interviews who did not match. (Technically I should say match-lists of 6 or longer, since you may not rank everywhere you interview.). There was only 1 person with 12 or more in his/her rank list who did not match. So, yes that is about as safe as a person can get.

Does anyone know if this year's stats should be any different? (more applicants, for example)

Does anyone know if this year's stats should be any different? (more applicants, for example)

i'm just guessing here...but my feeling that the numbers might be slightly down this year compared to last year. but i do think you'll see more unfilled slots, just because i think the folks that are applying have better numbers than in years previous and so all the smart kids who are going on 15+ interviews are going to end up at MGH, BWH, BID, UCSF, MIR, etc while the mid tiers aren't as likely to fill. combine that with some arrogance (columbia last year) and you'll have probably as many or more unfilled positions as compared to last year.

Is there any way to tell what the numbers are like, really? Or is it just a gut feeling?

Also, why is radiology such a deceptively competitive field? Why is it so self-selecting? The match rate is extremely high even though numbers and applicants are competitive, which seems to point out how only those that think they can get in do.

Also, don't radiology programs know that things like Step 1 scores are only there now for egotistical/screening reasons? Radiology was a white elephant years ago and those guys who got in did a fine job. It's all very interesting how these things work out ...

i'm just guessing here...but my feeling that the numbers might be slightly down this year compared to last year. but i do think you'll see more unfilled slots, just because i think the folks that are applying have better numbers than in years previous and so all the smart kids who are going on 15+ interviews are going to end up at MGH, BWH, BID, UCSF, MIR, etc while the mid tiers aren't as likely to fill. combine that with some arrogance (columbia last year) and you'll have probably as many or more unfilled positions as compared to last year.

I am fed up with the ignorance that litters these threads. # unfilled spots is not inversely proportional to competitiveness. It just means that the applicants did not go on enough interviews and/or the programs did not rank enough people.

Surgery is NOT competitive even though it only had one unfilled position. It just means the surgery programs ranked more people per spot. On the other hand, radiology programs generally rank only 50% of the applicants that they interview. Thus, there are more unfilled spots.

Look at the stats. Radiology has a median step 1 of 234. 95% of the applicants have done research. 1/4 of all radiology residents are AOA. 70% of radiology applicants have published research.

Compare that to Surgery or Anesthesiology that had lower unfilled spots. Surgery and Anesthesiology Step 1 scores are in the 216-219 range. And less than 10% of surgery or anesthesiology residents are AOA. Plus, less than 50% of Surgery and Anesthesiology residents have research.

One more thing, opthalamology is NOT as competitive as people think. Step 1 averages for ophthalamology residents has NEVER been above 229. Radiology on the other hand has had residents above 230 for over 5 years in a row.

Last bit of news. Talk to any program director in radiology. This year is more competitive it has been in the last 3 years. Of course, 4 years ago it was one of the most competive years EVER in Radiology

I am fed up with the ignorance that litters these threads. # unfilled spots is not inversely proportional to competitiveness. It just means that the applicants did not go on enough interviews and/or the programs did not rank enough people.

Surgery is NOT competitive even though it only had one unfilled position. It just means the surgery programs ranked more people per spot. On the other hand, radiology programs generally rank only 50% of the applicants that they interview. Thus, there are more unfilled spots.

Look at the stats. Radiology has a median step 1 of 234. 95% of the applicants have done research. 1/4 of all radiology residents are AOA. 70% of radiology applicants have published research.

Compare that to Surgery or Anesthesiology that had lower unfilled spots. Surgery and Anesthesiology Step 1 scores are in the 216-219 range. And less than 10% of surgery or anesthesiology residents are AOA. Plus, less than 50% of Surgery and Anesthesiology residents have research.

One more thing, opthalamology is NOT as competitive as people think. Step 1 averages for ophthalamology residents has NEVER been above 229. Radiology on the other hand has had residents above 230 for over 5 years in a row.

Last bit of news. Talk to any program director in radiology. This year is more competitive it has been in the last 3 years. Of course, 4 years ago it was one of the most competive years EVER in Radiology

so how did an FMG girl get Radiology who failed step 1 three times, and failed a year of medical school?

Reading this thread, a lot of the advice seems to conflict with the stats released by AAMC. Someone else posted the graph of board scores for people ranking/matching rads. From that chart, it shows that 555 out of 622 US MD seniors that scored LESS than 220 on the Step 1 matched successfully in rads. That's just under 90%.

If that's true, how is it possible that 220 is a typical "cutoff" for rads interviews? Maybe more for FMGs and such, but it definitely doesn't seem to be that way for American MD grads.

In terms of qualifications, I have two questions:

1) There has been some discussion about the difference between RAD and non-RAD research, but what about pre-med/post-bacc research vs. research during med school? I have two post-bacc RAD publications and a third (soon-to-be-written) RAD publication that I did during school. How does this compare to someone with 3 research pubs during their I/II summer and yr IV?

2) How do you think performance in basic science years weighs against clinical years? I've been told that Step I and years III/IV are most important, while yrs I/II are almost inconsequential. ("Inconsequential" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.)

iam a 3rd year IM resident (IMG at a community hospital). i want to do IR. im getting a research position in IR @ U Penn(basic science). with an IM residency and a year of research at Penn what are the chances to get matched in radiology.

total

if you tell a program that they are your top choice, does that influence how they rank you? any guesses?

I have heard that it doesn't really make a difference.

I have heard that it doesn't really make a difference.

Applicants say it all the time, so doesn't mean a thing to the program. The good programs will get who they want, without having to worry about 'how far down on the rank list we went' (which seems to be a proxy measure of the program directors cajones size at selected academic institutions).

Conversely, don't believe a program that says they will definitely rank YOU #1. I've heard sob stories from the past about applicants who heard this and ranked only ranked that program only to end up unmatched.

The more programs you rank the better. What do you have to lose? Only leave a program out if you would rather have to SCRAMBLE (not easy to scramble into rads) than match at that program.

Good luck you you all! :luck:
-H

Things are changing. Here are newer stats.
65% of incoming rads residents have any published research
Mean step: 232
90% of applicants did some research
Those that did research had a 4% less chance of rejection
Only 1 person with a Step 1 score of 240 or above did not match
40% of applicants with a Step 1 of under 190 matched
55% of applicants with a Step 1 of under 200 matched

Info. courtesy of the AAMC
https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...1&cftoken=C1E81CED-4339-4175-B525CB2CCD03CB36