FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just had a few questions about how many programs to apply to, etc.

Medical School: Mid-tier US M.D. School
Pre-clinical: All Pass
Clinical: Mixture of H, HP, and P
Step 1: Low 250's

I was mainly wondering how many radiology programs and how many prelim/TY programs people apply to on average, and how many do you all think I should apply to to have a high chance of matching. I would like to attend an academic program.
Also, how many interviews for radiology and ty/prelim should I aim to go on to have a high chance of matching?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OMS III interested in DR and not interested in IR.

Step 1:256
Comlex 1: 656

Class rank: top quartile

ECs: President of the radiology club at my school.

Member of a bunch of other clubs but didn’t do much in any of them.

Research: absolutely nothing.

Work hx: was a rad/ct tech for a few years prior to med school. Not sure if anyone would care.

Obviously being a DO hurts. Also, I have no research. Been trying get something but I’m getting zero help or advice from my school about research or even where to apply. My advisor told me to apply to all the former DO programs bc radiology is so competitive but that seems ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated besides “apply broadly”. Hoping for strong community or low tier university programs. Very geographically flexible.

Anyone have advice on where I should apply?

Reactions: 1 user
OMS III interested in DR and not interested in IR.

Step 1:256
Comlex 1: 656

Class rank: top quartile

ECs: President of the radiology club at my school.

Member of a bunch of other clubs but didn’t do much in any of them.

Research: absolutely nothing.

Work hx: was a rad/ct tech for a few years prior to med school. Not sure if anyone would care.

Obviously being a DO hurts. Also, I have no research. Been trying get something but I’m getting zero help or advice from my school about research or even where to apply. My advisor told me to apply to all the former DO programs bc radiology is so competitive but that seems ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated besides “apply broadly”. Hoping for strong community or low tier university programs. Very geographically flexible.

Anyone have advice on where I should apply?
Don't apply to former DO programs. Yes things are harder for DO but you can still match into a mid-tier academic/strong community program. It sounds like your advisor is being overly cautious whereas mine was the opposite. The location of your school will also somewhat reflect where you get interviews, meaning going to a DO school from the east coast / midwest is an advantage. I'd say apply to about 70 programs which have taken DOs before, ranging from higher tier (Yale, UPMC, Cleveland clinic) to lower tier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to former DO programs. Yes things are harder for DO but you can still match into a mid-tier academic/strong community program. It sounds like your advisor is being overly cautious whereas mine was the opposite. The location of your school will also somewhat reflect where you get interviews, meaning going to a DO school from the east coast / midwest is an advantage. I'd say apply to about 70 programs which have taken DOs before, ranging from higher tier (Yale, UPMC, Cleveland clinic) to lower tier.
Wow. I didn’t even entertain those lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 2 users
Current Status: Non-US IMG, with greencard, recent grad
Step 1: High 260's
Step 2: High 260's, CS 1st attempt pass
USCE: 3 months of radiology clerkship in the US
Research: 2 publications as first author in home country

How many interviews might I be able to secure, applying to > 100 programs? What are my chances of matching somewhere decent?

Current Status: MS4
School: top 30
Step 1: 240
Step 2: 238
Pre-clinical/clinical: 2 H all rest HP
Class rank: Doesn't publish but I'm in the 2nd quartile
Research: 11 abstracts+posters with a pending pub that won't get back until Nov in Radiology. Received a pretty decent grant for my newest project
EC's - President of 3 big clubs, community service, the works
Misc- AOA

Kinda worried about my competitiveness now that I got a 238 on step 2. Not sure what happened. Do I even have a shot at the upper tier programs anymore? My app was essentially amazing until that....

Current Status: MS-4
School: Mid Tier Southeast
Step 1:
Step 2: 248
Pre-clinical: 5 honors, 2 high pass, 1 pass
Clinical: 2 Honors Family/IM, PC Surgery/Neuropsych, P Ob/GYN/Peds
Class rank: Uncertain
Research:
- 1 manuscript on Heme/onc, 1 abstract in Blood, additional manuscript to be submitted later this year
- 4 poster presentations with 1 award
- 1 additional poster presentation, and 2 case reports to be submitted this fall

1 IM departmental letter, 2 IM letters and 1 FM LOR
EC's: Vice President/Treasurer of music club; various volunteering here and there
Miscellaneous: N/A

Application strategy is to apply to ~70 programs with reaches in northeast. Otherwise mainly applying to schools in southeast. Would love to gauge chances at maybe emory or duke. Otherwise broad applications across florida, texas, georgia, south/north carolina. Any advice/input on chances? Thanks in advance.

Long Time Lurker, hoping to see any advice or things to go from here

School: Mid Tier East Coast MD
Step 1:
Step 2: 255
Pre-clinical: >50% honors
Clinical: Honors in 5, HP in Surgery
Class rank: Top 1/3
Research: 1 published JAMA editorial (3rd author), 1 published EM/Radiology-affiliated (3rd author), 1 accepted EM/Radiology (1st author), 1 submitted Radiology case report, Possible another submitted IR case report. (I can PM if you want further clarification)

EC's: Student run clinic volunteer, 3 research experiences, Curriculum volunteer
Misc: Letters from my IM sub-I (2) and 3rd year clerkships (surgery + psych) + Radiology department

I would like to get to West Coast programs, I am a California native. Am interested in East coast programs but just looking for options or advice here. TY!

Sorry this response is post-ERAS. You'll certainly get California interviews being at an east coast school and with that very impressive CV, I imagine you'll get 2-3/4 from UCSD, UCLA, Stanford, and UCSF if not 4/4; certainly will get interviews from others. I'm sure your getting interviews now but know they most California programs usually give interviews later

Reactions: 1 users
School: low-tier US MD
Step 1: 213
Pre-clinical: All S, one HP (medicine), one H (EM)
Class rank: Bottom
Research: 1 poster from NIH summer and 1 poster in radiology club

EC's: 1 year radiology club, got a poster out of it

willing to match anywhere in US. prefer a decent city and program but i understand beggars cant be choosers

Will I be able to match? List so far is 110 programs. solid $2500 but it's definitely worth it if I can get in. Leaving out all big name schools and applying middle and low tier
How many interviews do you think I can secure? Any programs I should look at specifically?

All help would be appreciated
Sorry for post-ERAS response. I think you have a decent shot at matching applying so broadly. I think you might get 25+ interview offers and have a chance in a decent city. There's certainly a chance you may not match (although I think the odds are in your favor), consider applying to a few safety back-up residency programs. Best of luck with everything.

Current Status: Non-US IMG, with greencard, recent grad
Step 1: High 260's
Step 2: High 260's, CS 1st attempt pass
USCE: 3 months of radiology clerkship in the US
Research: 2 publications as first author in home country

How many interviews might I be able to secure, applying to > 100 programs? What are my chances of matching somewhere decent?
If your LORs are good and things you write on the application are well-written, you'll get a good number of interviews. You may have a chance to break into a top 25 program if you're personable at interviews. Overall, if no red flags, you have a good outlook

School: top 30
Pre-clinical/clinical: 2 H all rest HP
Class rank: Doesn't publish but I'm in the 2nd quartile
Research: 11 abstracts+posters with a pending pub that won't get back until Nov in Radiology. Received a pretty decent grant for my newest project
EC's - President of 3 big clubs, community service, the works
Misc- AOA

Kinda worried about my competitiveness now that I got a 238 on step 2. Not sure what happened. Do I even have a shot at the upper tier programs anymore? My app was essentially amazing until that....
Sorry for post-ERAS response. The drop will be a bit of a flag for some, but not a huge one. I'm confident you'll get interviews from top 20-40 programs. May not be able to break the top 10.

School: Mid Tier Southeast
Step 1:
Step 2: 248
Pre-clinical: 5 honors, 2 high pass, 1 pass
Clinical: 2 Honors Family/IM, PC Surgery/Neuropsych, P Ob/GYN/Peds
Class rank: Uncertain
Research:
- 1 manuscript on Heme/onc, 1 abstract in Blood, additional manuscript to be submitted later this year
- 4 poster presentations with 1 award
- 1 additional poster presentation, and 2 case reports to be submitted this fall

1 IM departmental letter, 2 IM letters and 1 FM LOR
EC's: Vice President/Treasurer of music club; various volunteering here and there
Miscellaneous: N/A

Application strategy is to apply to ~70 programs with reaches in northeast. Otherwise mainly applying to schools in southeast. Would love to gauge chances at maybe emory or duke. Otherwise broad applications across florida, texas, georgia, south/north carolina. Any advice/input on chances? Thanks in advance.
You're in good shape. If no red flags, you'll almost certainly get an invite from Emory. When I was a med student and kept track of who did or didn't get invites from Duke, they were a bit random. One of the most well-published med students I've ever known who had similar step scores to you didn't get an interview there, another year someone with lower step scores and basically no research got an interview there, and a couple of other weird that they did/didn't get an interview there contrasting examples.

Current Status: MS-4 with a year of research
School: Low Tier Midwest MD
Step 1:
Step 2: 235
Pre-clinical: All Pass
Clinical: 1 Honors, 5 high pass, 1 pass
Class rank: 3rd
Research:
2 nonrad, 2 rad paper ( one first author)
4 abstracts/posters

EC's: class rep of Rads Interest group

Applied to 80 programs broadly- So far got 5 interviews, Any advice/input on chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Current Status: M3
School: Mid Tier Eastern MD
Step 1: Mid-260s
Step 2: Not taken
Pre-clinical: Top 10% of class
Clinical: Only taken 2 so far, honored both.
Class rank: Not sure. Will likely get AOA.
Research: None :barf:

EC's: Standard volunteer experiences

I really want to match in socal. I will definitely get started on research (just decided on rads recently). What can I do to maximize my chances of matching in a SoCal program (by that I mean any program from santa barbara on down. I think there's 11 of them. I do not care that about the prestige of the program just want to be near family and make connections so that I can practice there). I'm only applying DR not IR. What would be my chances of matching at a place like UCLA-harbor? I understand all of these programs are fairly competitive by nature of their geographic location. Thank you for any advice!

Current Status: M3
School: Mid Tier Eastern MD
Step 1: Mid-260s
Step 2: Not taken
Pre-clinical: Top 10% of class
Clinical: Only taken 2 so far, honored both.
Class rank: Not sure. Will likely get AOA.
Research: None :barf:

EC's: Standard volunteer experiences

I really want to match in socal. I will definitely get started on research (just decided on rads recently). What can I do to maximize my chances of matching in a SoCal program (by that I mean any program from santa barbara on down. I think there's 11 of them. I do not care that about the prestige of the program just want to be near family and make connections so that I can practice there). I'm only applying DR not IR. What would be my chances of matching at a place like UCLA-harbor? I understand all of these programs are fairly competitive by nature of their geographic location. Thank you for any advice!

You’ve got a competitive app so far if you can maintain your performance through third year. You’ll definitely get some socal interviews if you apply there, even moreso if you list a socal location as your permanent address. To really seal the deal, do an away there and take up a research project (a quick one) while doing your away, and I don’t see you having any problems matching there whatsoever provided you interview well.

Current MS3 at a mid-tier US MD school - interested in DR (not IR)
Step 1: 238
Step 2: not taken
Clincial grades (half-way done): mostly passes, one honor
Class rank: no idea because it is pass/fail (maybe 50th percentile)
Research: 4 total experiences, 1 presentation (non-radiology, summer experience which I obtained grant money), 3 publications (2 first author radiology publications with one being with Case in Point)
ECs: a few things, nothing fancy

I am in the NE and hoping to match anywhere because radiology is the best field in medicine. I think I just need to focus on the rest of 3rd year and doing well on step 2. Thoughts?

Should I dual apply?

Last edited:
Current MS3 at a mid-tier US MD school - interested in DR (not IR)
Step 1: 238
Step 2: not taken
Clincial grades (half-way done): mostly passes, one honor
Class rank: no idea because it is pass/fail (maybe 50th percentile)
Research: 4 total experiences, 1 presentation (non-radiology, summer experience which I obtained grant money), 3 publications (2 first author radiology publications with one being with Case in Point)
ECs: a few things, nothing fancy

I am in the NE and hoping to match anywhere because radiology is the best field in medicine. I think I just need to focus on the rest of 3rd year and doing well on step 2. Thoughts?

Should I dual apply?

You should be fine. Just try to honor as much of the rest of third year as you can and show improvement on Step 2. Apply broadly.

3rd year at mid tier MD

Step 1: low 230s
Step 2: haven't taken yet
Clinicals: Over halfway done, passes only.
Research: Will have around 9-12 "publications, abstracts, presentations". No specific radiology research.
ECs: Some leadership, volunteering, etc.

Bit worried about matching. Any input?

3rd year at mid tier MD

Step 1: low 230s
Clinicals: Over halfway done, passes only.
Research: Will have around 9-12 "publications, abstracts, presentations". No specific radiology research.
ECs: Some leadership, volunteering, etc.

Bit worried about matching. Any input?

You don’t need to worry about matching. But if you want to go to a good academic program do the usual things to improve your app: try to get some honors in your upcoming rotations, hop on a radiology research project, score 20+ points higher on step 2, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

3rd year DO school

Step 1: high 240s
COMLEX: Low 700s
Pre-clinical: All honors
Clinicals: 2 honors, 1 pass so far
Research: 4 publications from undergrad, 1 first author. No research in medical school
ECs: Nothing

Is having no extracurriculars in med school a big deal? Was never into any of the interests groups/clubs at school. Will be applying broadly to Northeast programs.

3rd year MD/PhD
Midwest mid-tier program

Step 1: 245
Step 2: Not taken yet
Pre-clinical: Mostly honors
Clinicals: 4 passes
Research: 5 publications before med school (1 first author), grad school paper is pending acceptance, 2 radiology projects with 1 being written up at the moment, 2 other projects in ENT and Rad onc being written up
EC: Minimal, some free clinic and volunteering at children's hospital

The hope is still to be a physician/scientist and I was wonder what my chances are to get into a research intensive program, location doesn't matter. I'm interested in molecular imaging and more basic biology applications.

Current Status: Rising M4
School: Top 50 School
Step 1: 247
Step 2: not taken yet--hoping 255+
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 3 Honors (psych, IM, and FM) 4 HP
Class rank: not sure; likely 1st quartile
Research:
1 first author paper submitted; currently under-review. 1 Rads case report. 1 second author paper submitted, 5 posters

EC's: Founded interest group for sports med, Lead for acute care interest group. Volunteer hours here and there. Jiu jitsu instructor for several years.

Currently on the west-coast (not CA) and gauging chances for upper-to-mid tier academic programs. Would prefer CA, PNW, Mountain West but beggars can't be choosers

Last edited:
3rd year East coast
Lower tier NY program

Step 1: 244
Pre-clinical: All pass (only pass/fail)
Clinicals: 2 H and 2 HP. 2 courses to go.
Research: 3 pubs (not v high authorship), working on submitting 3 abstracts
EC: free clinic, radiology club leader

Hoping to get into a top academic program on the east coast (Boston or New York?). Is this possible?
Some things like AOA, URM status, etc. could bump you up but based on what you have here, no not going to happen at the highest tier places.

NE Programs likely out of reach: MGH, BWH, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins

Places that would be more realistic to shoot for: BID, UPMC, Thomas Jefferson, Brown, Yale

Current Status: MS3
School: Midwest mid-tier MD
Step 1: mid 250s
Step 2: Not taken yet (will take after ERAS submission)
Pre-clinical: All pass (P/F)
Clinical: HP in FM, honored others, and 1 to go (peds) (H/HP/P/F); not expecting AOA
Research: 1 first-author paper, a couple mid-author papers, all in another field. 1 case study (writing) and 1 poster in Rad.
EC: free clinic a few times, Rad club leader

Hi all,
I'm trying to go to one of the major cities, preferably in California. However, I'm not from there. I thought about doing an away rotation, but won't have time because of the curricular delay due to COVID-19. So basically I would like to know my chances in that region without much significant connections, especially for those academic programs. Or maybe if there's anything I can do to increase my chance?
Thanks!

I remember back when I was freaking out about matching and posting on here, so I hope now I can give someone somewhere some relief. I matched at my top choice for Diagnostic Radiology and am finishing up a year in general surgery.

School: IMG, caribbean
Step 1: 241
Step 2: 256
Pre-clinical: All pass
Clinical: All honors
Class rank: Top 10% (but that's not saying much, no offense to the rest of my class)
Research: 2 publications, (1 first author, 1 3rd author). First author pub was rads related. Couple research presentations.
EC's: Leader of school radiology interest group, TA and tutoring in multiple classes.

Current Status: MS3
Step 1: mid 250s
Step 2: Not taken yet (will take after ERAS submission)
Pre-clinical: All pass (P/F)
Clinical: HP in FM, honored others, and 1 to go (peds) (H/HP/P/F); not expecting AOA
Research: 1 first-author paper, a couple mid-author papers, all in another field. 1 case study (writing) and 1 poster in Rad.
EC: free clinic a few times, Rad club leader

Hi all,
I'm trying to go to one of the major cities, preferably in California. However, I'm not from there. I thought about doing an away rotation, but won't have time because of the curricular delay due to COVID-19. So basically I would like to know my chances in that region without much significant connections, especially for those academic programs. Or maybe if there's anything I can do to increase my chance?
Thanks!

UCSF, Stanford, and UCLA would be major reaches but you should be able to match somewhere in Cali.

Step 1: mid 260s
Step 2: mid 260s
Pre-clinical: All Ps, P/F
Clinical: Honors in all core rotations, radiology elective
Research: 1 first-author radiology opinion paper, 1 poster/experience in unrelated field MS1 summer, 1 undergraduate basic science paper, working on mid-author paper in rads
ECs: Leadership position in 3 student groups including rads, some volunteering
LORs: Likely 3 from MS3 core clerkships due to Covid with 1 rads letter. There is a possibility that I complete a medicine sub-I and receive a letter before ERAS opens.

Hey yall,
I'm originally from the pacific southwest, going to school in the midwest. Wondering what my chances are to make it to top Boston/NYC/SoCal programs contingent on where my SO ends up for their programming job? Would it be helpful to do aways to target these areas if they open up this year? Thank you!

Current Status: OMS3
School: KCUMB
Step1/Level1: 243/631
Step2/Level2: practice exams in high 240s; exam dates in early May
Pre-Clinical: top 1/3
Clinical: Honors IM track (we just get extra didactics; not sure if it matters); honored IM exam, passed the rest; expecting clinical rank to be top 1/3 or 1/4 based on test percentiles
Research: 2 research projects in undergrad (1 in genomics & 1 in metabolism; 1 poster at research symposium hosted by my undergrad with the genomics project), 1 case presentation at my medical school about graves disease.
EC's: worked in radiology department for 4 years in undergrad in a leadership position, MBA dual degree student, lots of random volunteering from undergrad & med school, lead guitarist/backup vocalist in a small touring metal band for 4 years in undergrad (to add some personality to my app), e-board for my schools' SOMA for 2 years, lots of various jobs held (through undergrad & a couple in medical school including working for SDN for a bit & helping students with personal statements for medical school), & other random insignificant things.
LORs: psychiatry (very strong), family medicine (strong), pediatrics (not written yet, but will be strong), internal medicine (very strong); will be trying for a couple rads letters at away rotations (see below)
Away Rotations: 2 scheduled at my #1 choice in June/July (DR June; IR July)

WAMC for university DR programs in the midwest? My SO matched here this year & would like to stay here. Will obviously work my butt off at those away rotations to get good rads LORs. If COVID prevents me from rotating I can reach out to radiologists from my undergrad job for a letter as a last resort (some of them I knew for 4 years.) Worried my research from undergrad won't matter? Tried to start a retrospective chart review in 3rd year, but unfortunately my group wasn't able to gain access patient charts for review so that crashed & burned..

Your undergrad research matters if you’re trying to gun for academic research places. If you’re using research as a checklist, people will note your undergrad work, but little more than that (you might get a question or two, so try to freshen up on what you did). For what it’s worth, you’re not really behind as far as med school research goes. Lots of rads applicants don’t have lots of research. The numbers are inflated by MD PhDs and people who took gap years. It’s a very right-skewed curve.

Away rotations from my experience in what I’ve seen with other applicants really only hurt you unless you’re exceptionally proactive about your time there: i.e. find a faculty to do a research project with, and spend lots of time making significant legway, get a research from that faculty, and make sure they go to bat for you. If you treat it like a home DR rotation where you show up from 8-12, go home and read, doing the away will do more harm than good.

You’ve got a really solid app for a mid-tier university program in the midwest, ala SLU, Loyola, IUSM, Ohio State, Case Western, Iowa, Louisville, etc. You‘ll likely receive a bell-curve of interviews centered around mid-tier universities, including some impressive ones, and you’ll probably get fewer interviews from community programs because of yield protection.

IF your SO matched your home institution (that’s what I’m guessing?) make an effort to impress faculty, and bluntly put in the radiology world that’s easiest by taking up a research project, making significant headway, and remaining disciplined with it. Even without, your chances for matching your home program are higher than any single other program unless you’ve burnt bridges or pissed someone off.

Current Status: Rising MS-4
School: USMD Lower ranked school
Step 1: 246
Step 2: Taking May, confident for 10+ point increase
Pre-clinical: Pass (P/F)
Clinical: Pass in Med/Surg, anticipating High-pass / Honors in 3-4 (Psych, obgyn, peds, family)
Class rank: Not entirely sure, not top 25% likely
Research:
2 publications, one in Nature for wet-lab research in lung disease
7 posters
Can try for more case reports by time of ERAS
No radiology research

EC: Medical school band, COVID-19 volunteerwork, Zoom guitar lessons during COVID-19, Student Health and wellness club executive at our school, underprivileged pre-med high school student volunteering

Grateful for any responses, and truly thank you. Hoping to match at an academic program. What are my chances?
You have a solid but not great app. Should match to a good academic program. Might snag an interview at MIR or Mayo but otherwise don't expect to hear from the highest tier programs. Your best bets are mid tier academic programs in your geographic region.

*this is assuming you are male, non-URM, non-AOA

You have a solid but not great app. Should match to a good academic program. Might snag an interview at MIR or Mayo but otherwise don't expect to hear from the highest tier programs. Your best bets are mid tier academic programs in your geographic region.

*this is assuming you are male, non-URM, non-AOA

Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Hope you have a lovely Sunday.

Current Status: rising m4
School: top 25 medical school
Step 1: 258
Step 2: 264
Pre-clinical: P/F
Clinical: clerkships are P/F. I'll maybe honor a couple electives, but it's less likely that I'll get many honors with the pandemic.
Class rank: It's hard to tell, maybe 60-75% percentile.
Research: None currently. I'll have at least 1 research experience by the end. I'm hoping to get 2 minor pubs.
EC's: co-president of a small student org; some volunteering at the medical school clinic.

I'm anxious about not having much research. I won't have very personal LoRs either due to my awesome networking skills. I worry that I just "scratched the surface" of med school, and that I didn't really put my nose to the grind like some of my peers. What are my chances at academic programs? I would be so so happy to match at my home institution because my S.O. has a great job here. Is there anyone who can walk me off the ledge?

edit: non-URM, non-AOA, non-Gold humanism

Lack of research isn’t a huge deal. You come from a highly regarded program and your step scores are good.Academic programs won’t be a problem, and you’ll get some high tiers. I think your home program is well within reach for you.

Non-US IMG
Current Status: Med 3
Step 1: 248
Class rank: Top 10% of the class
LOR: Hopefully I can apply for electives/observerships in 2021 and get some LORs
Research: No research experience yet. I plan to do some research in the US after I graduate and apply for the next cycle (ERAS 2022).

I don't mind if I match at a low-tier program. I just want to know if my step 1 is competitive enough for me to have a chance, assuming I do well in step 2 ck (250+) and spend 1 year after M4 doing research related to radiology. DR has always been my top choice, but if my chances are very slim I would rather apply to a different, less competitive specialty. I'll appreciate any input or advice. Thank you.

Current Status: rising m4
School: First graduating class
Step 1: 239
Step 2: Taking Monday but based off practice test should (hopefully) be around 250
Step 2 CS: Passed 1st attempt
Clinical: H: Surg, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro HP: Peds Ob
Class rank: No idea
Research: 3 projects with 2 poster presentations will hopefully have a pub by ERAS
EC's: rads interest group, founding member of a bunch of random clubs (we were the first class). Decent amount of volunteering and worked as a peer tutor during 2nd and 3rd year.

Don't know about AOA. School says it will be based off 3rd year grades so it could be possible but don't have anything definitive yet. I'm planning on couples matching and my SO is going into FM, so we're stressed about our chances. Would really like to go to an academic program and location doesn't matter to me much but preferebally on the west coast. But we are both willing to relocate anywhere.

Also I know away rotations aren't a huge deal in rads but I'm wondering how it will affect me since we have no opportunity to do them now and I'm coming from a brand new school without a graduating class yet. We don't have a home rads program either so I'm not really sure what I can do as far as letters of rec go.
assuming you are male, non-URM, non-AOA - Top tier places on the west coast will be out of reach (UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, Washington)

If you get AOA and a 260 on CK you'd have a much better shot at an interview at those types of places. Regardless you should be able to match a mid to lower tier academic program. I would still look into the possibility of doing an away at an academic program. Some schools will be open to taking on away rotators if the student doesn't have a home residency program.

assuming you are male, non-URM, non-AOA - Top tier places on the west coast will be out of reach (UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, Washington)

If you get AOA and a 260 on CK you'd have a much better shot at an interview at those types of places. Regardless you should be able to match a mid to lower tier academic program. I would still look into the possibility of doing an away at an academic program. Some schools will be open to taking on away rotators if the student doesn't have a home residency program.

Where does USC (keck) + UCLA-harbor rank among the California DR programs? Would he/she be competitive for either of those?

Where does USC (keck) + UCLA-harbor rank among the California DR programs? Would he/she be competitive for either of those?

As someone who recently matched at a CA radiology residency and got most of the CA interviews. IMO USC is mid-tier and UCLA-harbor is mid to low-tier. And with that step1/2CK score you'll probably be competitive for these programs.

Got CK back and got 259. I don’t think AOA is happening our school basically said they won’t be able to have the application done by the time we apply because of covid. My school is letting us do one away rotation since we don’t have a home program. Is there anything I should look for specifically for an away? Will probably look mainly west coast.
Try to get some information about what the rotations are like (the reddit spreadsheet is probably your best shot for this). If you're doing an away to get a letter and possibly match there, you don't want a rotation where the residents send you home after two hours every day. Having to make some case presentations and things like that are good because you can put effort into them and have something to show for it instead of just shadowing. Another thing to consider is doing a subspecialty rotation if the school offers it. Some DR rotations you bounce around to different reading rooms every few days to a week. It's good from a variety standpoint, but if you want a letter it's better to have the whole month to get to know someone. Most academic attendings have admin / research time, procedure time, vacations, etc. so they won't be in the reading room every day. You don't want to miss your opportunity to get a good letter by moving around too much.

Try to get some information about what the rotations are like (the reddit spreadsheet is probably your best shot for this). If you're doing an away to get a letter and possibly match there, you don't want a rotation where the residents send you home after two hours every day. Having to make some case presentations and things like that are good because you can put effort into them and have something to show for it instead of just shadowing. Another thing to consider is doing a subspecialty rotation if the school offers it. Some DR rotations you bounce around to different reading rooms every few days to a week. It's good from a variety standpoint, but if you want a letter it's better to have the whole month to get to know someone. Most academic attendings have admin / research time, procedure time, vacations, etc. so they won't be in the reading room every day. You don't want to miss your opportunity to get a good letter by moving around too much.
Awesome thank you!

Current Status: Rising MS4
School: low-tier MD program in the midwest
Step 2 CK: 256
Step 2 CS: canceled due to COVID-19 before I took it
Clinical: P all rotations (no high pass or honors designation at my school)
Class rank: 2nd quartile last time I checked
Research:
- 2 first-author radiology case reports published on the online database MedPix, another case report (second/third author) for neuroradiology journal currently under review
- A rads opinion piece article published online
- currently involved with another 2 radiology projects at another university in my home state (not sure if they will be published before interviews)
- Involved with 1 ortho project and a presentation from the first two years of med school, not ready for publication quite yet
- 1 poster presentation from undergrad presented at society for neuroscience conference, 2014

EC's: Rads interest group rep, surgery interest group secretary first 2 years of med school, lead coordinator for youth volunteer program, academic tutor x 2 years

Interested in a solid academic DR program here in the midwest. What are my chances at some of the high-tier schools like Mayo, Northwestern, Michigan, etc.? Any advice really appreciated!!

Last edited:
School: Unranked MD in Midwest.
Step 1: 245-250
Step 2 CK: 250-255
Step 2 CS: Cancelled due to COVID
Pre-Clinical: All P (P/F only system)
Clinical: All Honors 5/5.
AOA: Not sure if it's happening this year due to the pandemic, the committee is meeting this week to decide. I'd say theres a 50/50 shot I'd get nominated.
Class rank: Not released to us, but guessing first quartile. If not, definitely second quartile.
Research: One radiology publication (3rd author) submitted and an IR case report submitted. An ENT case report to be submitted soon. Worked on a few other IR research projects my M1 year, however they never got submitted, not sure if there's place to put that anywhere on ERAS. No posters/abstracts.
LORs: One strong letter from my M3 Surgery preceptor, and anticipating another strong one from my IM preceptor. Could fill the other 2 with a chair letter from my Rads chair and maybe an IR letter if I secure an IR away this fall (no home DR/IR program).
ECs: VP of Radiology interest group. President of another surgical subspecialty interest group (was considering another field at some point). Tutoring, global health experience, and other minor stuff in here as well.

I was initially gearing up my application to apply to integrated IR programs these past couple years, but the inability to do any away rotations due to COVID as well as some heavy introspection these past few days on if I wanted to commit to IR so early is leading me towards applying straight DR. I feel that I'd have a better chance at stronger institutions if I applied DR and could always try for IR later on if that's what my mind is set on.

Few questions I was hoping I could get answered if someone would so kindly oblige. I am interested in top academic programs and also west coast (not necessarily top programs) with no ties to that region.

1. I know that I most likely have a shot at matching somewhere or another, but how would coming from a low tier school affect my chances at top 10 or top 20 (any location) programs? I've heard radiology places importance on prestige, one of the other reasons why I'm leaning away from applying integrated IR.

2. Would an IR letter be okay for DR? I would tell them that I'm applying DR so they could tailor it accordingly. Additionally, as my one DR letter would my "chair" letter work? Although we don't have a home program, we still have a chair of the department who would write a letter based on my CV, scores, etc. I'm just thinking that I will most likely not be getting a DR away rotation before apps are due.

3. Struggling with studying for Step 2 right now because my schedule has been kinda turned around due to the situation we're in. Would a mid 240s step 2 look bad? Or essentially knock me out of contention for the higher tier programs? I'm gonna try my best regardless but just trying to be as realistic with myself as possible.

4. I understand my research is pretty weak. Assuming I don't get any more research under my belt, what tier programs would I have a best shot at? Lay it on me.

5. If I change my mind and decide to do integrated IR, what are my chances at an integrated residency?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
@Brill4 - assuming you are male, non-URM, non-AOA

1. You will have a decent shot at the best midwest programs (Wash U, Mayo, Michigan, Northwestern). Will likely not get much out of top 25 type places on west coast or NE. Better shot are some southern academic programs - Emory, UAB, Wake, UNC, UVA, possibly Vandy, not Duke.

2. IR letter is fine. My perception is DR LOR aren't that useful unless they are from a research mentor so they can speak to the work you did there or an IR letter than can talk more about your work ethic, skills, clinical knowledge, etc. Most DR rotations are just shadowing so they're really just an endorsement of you as a good applicant for rads but usually fairly generic. Your rads chair letter will be generic if that person doesn't know you. Not that beneficial unless maybe they are quite famous. I'd probably still use it if it is your best option though. Your other letters sound good.

3. People will expect to see >250 for your step 2. <240 will hurt you some. 240s probably not much impact. Based on your step 1, 250s shouldn't be a problem as long as your shelf exams have been going fine. Just grind it out and get it done.

4. see #1

5. You would almost certainly match. Integrated IR was not that competitive this year. Finding a residency program to do an away at would help. Should look into what kind of guidance SIR has given for this app cycle

Interested in a solid academic DR program here in the midwest. What are my chances at some of the high-tier schools like Mayo, Northwestern, Michigan, etc.? Any advice really appreciated!!
You should get some interviews from top midwest programs. Also would suggest academic programs in the south. Doubt you will have too much luck at higher tier programs on the coasts.

You should get some interviews from top midwest programs. Also would suggest academic programs in the south. Doubt you will have too much luck at higher tier programs on the coasts.

Thank you so much! If anybody has anything else to add, please feel free to reach out!

Hi all, FMG here hoping to get an idea of where i should apply
Looking for DR places

UK Grad 2018 - need visa
Been working in the UK as a doctor since then
Currently a first year radiology resident in UK at a top 10 global university

Top 10% in clinical years
Biochem undergrad where I was top of class with 4 prizes

Step 1: 257
Step 2CK: 260
Step 2CS: Pass first time

National anatomy prize
One published radiology/IM abstract- first author
One poster presentation-radiology

Unfortunately no USCE but im getting LORs from doctors at a well-known UK med school/hospital

Last edited:
Does anyone here know whats stats/application would it take to match IR/DR (direct, not ESIR)?

School: Low-tier unranked MD in Midwest.
Step 1: 248
Step 2 CK: EDIT: 254
Step 2 CS: Cancelled due to COVID
Pre-Clinical: All P (P/F only system)
Clinical: All Honors 5/5. Note: OB and psych are my last 2 rotations of M3 year and due to COVID messing up the timeline they are being made pass/fail only. But honors in the rest.
AOA: Not sure if it's happening this year due to the pandemic, the committee is meeting this week to decide. I'd say theres a 50/50 shot I'd get nominated.
Class rank: Not released to us, but guessing first quartile. If not, definitely second quartile.
Research: One radiology publication (3rd author) submitted and an IR case report submitted. An ENT case report to be submitted soon. Worked on a few other IR research projects my M1 year, however they never got submitted, not sure if there's place to put that anywhere on ERAS. No posters/abstracts.
LORs: One strong letter from my M3 Surgery preceptor, and anticipating another strong one from my IM preceptor. Could fill the other 2 with a chair letter from my Rads chair and maybe an IR letter if I secure an IR away this fall (no home DR/IR program).
ECs: VP of Radiology interest group. President of another surgical subspecialty interest group (was considering another field at some point). Tutoring, global health experience, and other minor stuff in here as well.

Just updated my initial post with my Step 2 score that I got back a week ago (254). Definitely happy all things considered with my pseudo dedicated period, but does this help my app in any way?
Thanks for the responses so far! I appreciate it.

Curious if any of the admins/leaders of this thread have checked out the Residency Explorer statistics and whether or not they are something we should seriously use when applying this year? Especially when looking at upper-tier programs.

PS: sorry if this isn't a relevant-enough question for the WAMC thread, I can delete/repost in the radiology forum instead if so. I just thought it tied in pretty heavily.

Hey @bobjonesbob, would really appreciate any feedback on my app! I assume I may be able to match academic in the midwest, but probably not higher-tier programs? Thank you so much!
You should match an academic program. Your step 1 and 2 are below average for almost all solid academic programs but obviously with an average, many people are matching with below those numbers. The rest of your app looks solid. As a guide, target programs in your geographic target areas that are ranked 20-60 on Doximity . Apply to Mayo and WashU but don't waste your money on other top 20s unless you have some other x-factor to your app you haven't mentioned. Throw in your home program and maybe a couple community safeties and you should be good to go.