FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in the interview thread they seem to be talking about mid-october for most invites to go out.... was just looking for a time frame to go by...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also a 3rd year at MSUCOM, planning on applying to DO programs in the Midwest (specifically in MI):

COMLEX Level 1: 549/85
Preclinical: no rankings, but passed everything
Clincial: school doesn't give out Honors or HP, but again I have passed everything so far
ECs: the usual volunteer stuff every med student probably has
Research: none, but I am wondering if you guys think I'll be able to get anything meaningful done between now and next fall?

Any opinions on my chances, and anything else I should be doing to bolster my app?? Will be doing a rads rotation at my base hospital in November. Thanks!

3rd year at US allopathic med school

Step 1 - 259
Preclinicals - All honors except 1 class
Clinicals - Still early, but 1 pass, 1 honors
Step 2 - not yet.

Research - neurorads research with poster presentation and publication pending (not first author)
Lots of Undergrad research with 40+ publications not in medicine (mostly first author).
AOA - decided in beginning of 4th year, so maybe?
ECs - a bunch, like journal club, etc..

Hoping to go to West Coast?

Thanks for any feed back.

Hi, I am an international medical grad working as a fellow in neurology. My step 1 score is 230 and step 2 score is 240. I am in old graduate 5 years out of med school. But have been working in the Neuroimaging lab for 5 years. Have 10 papers, 6 first authors and 20 abstracts. I hope to get excellent letters from university professors. Have applied to 40 radiology programs but no interviews thus far. I have a green card. Can you please tell me if it is too late to get an interview? And what are my chances? I got 3 rejections also thus not so excited about my prospects. Thanks for your input. Adi

Hi, I am an international medical grad working as a fellow in neurology. My step 1 score is 230 and step 2 score is 240. I am in old graduate 5 years out of med school. But have been working in the Neuroimaging lab for 5 years. Have 10 papers, 6 first authors and 20 abstracts. I hope to get excellent letters from university professors. Have applied to 40 radiology programs but no interviews thus far. I have a green card. Can you please tell me if it is too late to get an interview? And what are my chances? I got 3 rejections also thus not so excited about my prospects. Thanks for your input. Adi

Sadly your odds are almost nil and you will probably get no interviews at this point.

If you want to reapply:

1) Apply to every community radiology program in the country. Every single one (can search on FREIDA). If you have truly stellar research, consider academic programs with research tracks too (these can surprisingly be less competitive).

2) Make sure a native English speaker checks your app before submission - judging by your post, there may be a few fluency issues that would raise red flags to residency programs.

I would only do this as a last resort. The US system is very difficult to break into as a foreign medical grad or an old grad, and you are both.

Current M3, hoping to match DR and eventually IR
Step 1: 217
Step 2 CS and CK next summer
Pre-clinical: mostly HP and P, one H
Clinical: Family and Ob/gyn P, Peds hoping to HP but still waiting on grades. Obviously need to bump the rest to HP and H.
Research: EM Poster presentation at a national conference, waiting on publication, likely a lower level journal but expecting to get accepted somewhere. Making contacts to (hopefully) get involved in a Rad project.
Location: pretty open to all types of programs and geography but wanting to get into a program that can facilitate an IR fellowship match in the future
LOR: have not done DR rotation yet, but pretty sure I can get a great LOR from the Ob residency director at my school as a non-specialty letter. So far all of my comments that will be in my deans letter have been great, with one I would give a "good but not great".

I know my Step 1 is a huge set back and I absolutely need to improve with Step 2 and the rest of my clinicals. Aside from that - advice on what programs to apply to and anything else I can do to increase my competitiveness?

There are enough spots that as long as you are a US grad + US citizen and relatively sociable, you should be able to get A radiology spot somewhere.

My advice would be to apply to EVERY radiology program with an interventional radiology fellowship. Often programs look are more likely to take their own as fellows (again with the sociable comment along with not dangerously incompetent thrown in).

You can probably skip the high end academic places since you have little shot, but there's always that slight chance that they see something in your app and give you an interview, so might be worth the gamble (~$25 to play, step right up).

Do that plus a few extra community programs in non-desirable locations and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Greetings all,
As I scroll through this thread, it seems like most of the posters have similar credentials (ie. great board score, great pre-clinical/clinical grades, some research, some EC's). My Step 1 and Pre-clinical grades are mediocre at best, but I will have a few unique things on mine and I'm curious if they would matter at all, and possibly bump my application up in the pile. I'm fairly confident that I will match somewhere (hopefully :/), but my significant other is matching this year into a highly competitive field, and depending on where he ends up, I may be limited to one or two programs in a particular area.

Step 1: mid-230's
Pre-clinical: mostly A's/second quartile in my class
That's all I have so far because I'm an MD/PhD student, I hope to be graduating with the class of 2016 or 2017. I'm obviously trying to bolster my app, so I need to be thinking about what I can do now. Research is non-rad related, but in the translational cancer field. Lots of MD/PhD's go into radiology so this might not be a big deal.
I'm a female (if that matters)
I'm also technically a Pro athlete in an endurance sport (I don't know the weight of this one. Watching my significant other go through the interview process, he seemed to get a lot of attention about a separate unique thing he had on his application, so I'm hoping that this might also work for me???)

If my significant other doesn't get his top choice (our home program), he may end up in the Houston, Raleigh-Durham, or Philly area. Do I have a chance in these areas???? Thanks in advance guys.

Just based on numbers you would have a decent shot at UT-Houston and Baylor. I think being an athlete, having a PhD, and having a significant other in the city would make it very likely that you could match there.

I have heard that the program director at UT-Houston likes to have a good number of females in each class.

One of the program directors of a competitive specialty at my school loves having residents with unique talents or accomplishments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! He got no love from UT-Houston, but Baylor is #2 on his list. On my end, I would be more than excited to get in at UT-Houston. MD Anderson is a physician-scientist's dream!!!

Questions about my chances for radiology and need for applying to a backup.
For personal reasons, I only want to attend a program in east coast, preferably in NYC. Not picky about academic vs community. A good community program that will provide good training is fine with me.

Stats:

Mid tier midwest school.
Step 1 - 242.
Step 2 - Taking in summer. Will attempt to crush.
Preclinicals - Nearly all H.
Clinicals - Mix of HP/H so far.
Research - 3 pubs before med school (non-rads). 2 non-rad posters in med school.
ECs - some awards, community service. Nothing significant.

Thanks in advance...

Questions about my chances for radiology and need for applying to a backup.
For personal reasons, I only want to attend a program in east coast, preferably in NYC. Not picky about academic vs community. A good community program that will provide good training is fine with me.

Stats:

Mid tier midwest school.
Step 1 - 242.
Step 2 - Taking in summer. Will attempt to crush.
Preclinicals - Nearly all H.
Clinicals - Mix of HP/H so far.
Research - 3 pubs before med school (non-rads). 2 non-rad posters in med school.
ECs - some awards, community service. Nothing significant.

Thanks in advance...

Will get interviews in NYC, may/may not match there. Otherwise, you're good, you'll match on the east coast. No need for backups.

Will get interviews in NYC, may/may not match there. Otherwise, you're good, you'll match on the east coast. No need for backups.
Just as a note to the NYC programs. I got asked a ton (way more than other places) why I wanted to go to NYC, and specifically their program. That being said, I got an invite to all of the NYC programs coming from the mid west with 0 ties (at least on my application) to the city.

I have a 226 step 1. How much will this affect my ranking by programs at which I actually interview? I've heard various answers.

Mid tier rads school
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 260s
Research: one 1st author abstract/paper NON-rads, 1-2 more 1st or 2nd author abstract/papers radiology related but in different field- hopefully poster presentation at national meeting (year off btwn m3/4).. should I try to get on a project or 2 with rads dept?
EC: former D1 athlete, coach travel sports team, tutor, international health mission trips, etc
Clinical grades: all passes..

any chance at southeast academic programs? Midwest? Anywhere???..

do an away? (School Midwest, originally from the south)

I can only provide my information. I too was a D1 athlete with some papers, not amazing, etc. I too am coming from the midwest with a goal of academia. The only difference is that my Step 1 is a little closer to your Step 2 (so this might not be completely accurate for you).

Some tips:
1) Highlight the sports part of your application. I made my experience and skills learned really important on my app (and have spent a significant part of my interview time talking about it)
2) I would see if you can get some radiology research added on. Some programs spent a lot of time talking about research at their interview day and I think its a emphasis.

With that, I think you should have a ton of options. I had to cancel a lot of my interviews because I was getting too many amazing programs. I was definitely not expecting that.

I have a 226 step 1. How much will this affect my ranking by programs at which I actually interview? I've heard various answers.

Some will certainly take that into consideration but I'm sure you'll match in your top 5.

Not top 40 school in Southeast
Step 1 - 246
Step 2 - Taking this summer, aiming for 260+
Preclinicals - Mostly B's, Few A's
Clinicals - Honors in medicine, ob/gyn, psych, neuro; HP in surgery and family
Research - All rads research- 2 posters, 1 presentation, 1 abstract (1st author), 1 case report (1st author) published, working on manuscript (will be 1st author)
ECs - not much here

What are my chances at a mid-tier academic? Would like to stay Southeast-ish. (NE and MW are okay too)

You'll be very competitive and will likely, assuming your dean's letter and letter of rec don't have any red flags, get some top tier interviews.

Yeah I'm not sure how competitive a Step 1 of 246 alone is (seeing how places like Brigham apparently have averages in the 260s), but in the context of that otherwise awesome app, Burgermeister will get lots of fantastic interviews. Several top tier ones with solid research like that. If we're talking Southeast...Duke, UVA, Wake, UNC, Florida, UAB are all well within reach. Also a great shot at Midwest strongholds like Michigan and Mayo I bet, as well as the best Texas programs like UTSW and Baylor.

Not top 40 school in Southeast
Step 1 - 246
Step 2 - Taking this summer, aiming for 260+
Preclinicals - Mostly B's, Few A's
Clinicals - Honors in medicine, ob/gyn, psych, neuro; HP in surgery and family
Research - All rads research- 2 posters, 1 presentation, 1 abstract (1st author), 1 case report (1st author) published, working on manuscript (will be 1st author)
ECs - not much here

What are my chances at a mid-tier academic? Would like to stay Southeast-ish. (NE and MW are okay too)
If your home-I has a strong rads program, your relationships through your research may help you get interviews at top-tier places. I'd apply to all of the above, plus MUSC and Vandy. Feel free to go big and also apply to MIR, Hopkins, and whatever NE academic programs float your boat. You'll probably get some interviews, but I would expect to bat 1.000. You shouldn't get screened out for your Step 1 score alone, especially in the context of your overall application, but things are pretty competitive at the top.

Thank you for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. Will attempt to finish out strong in hopes of landing at any of the great places you guys mentioned.

MS3 here. really want to do radiology.

Top 50 school (Southeast)
Step 1 - 243
Step 2 - taking in two months.
Preclinicals - mostly High Pass-ish...Was ranked just inside of top 25% in class after first 2 years.
Clinicals - Honors in Emergency Medicine, OB-GYN, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry. High Pass in Surgery. Pass in Peds. Waiting on a couple more grades.
Research - Lots of orthopedic research projects (one recent publication, one abstract, two posters). Currently doing IR research, writing a paper that hopefully will get published before residency apps.
ECs - A bit of volunteer work (free clinic stuff, health fair, etc). Was an athlete in college, competed professionally for a while before med school. maybe that will help?

I know I need to do better on step 2. I have a lot of good rotations (diagnostics, neuroradiology, nucs) lined up for 4th year so I'm pumped.

what are my chances?

Sorry your post was neglected. You're a stellar applicant. You didn't do ortho research, all I see is MSK rad research :)
The athletic background will surely help. Keep doing what you're doing and apply anywhere you want - some top-10 programs will give you interviews and all the other programs will give you interviews. Best of luck.

MS3 here. really want to do radiology.

Top 50 school (Southeast)
Step 1 - 243
Step 2 - taking in two months.
Preclinicals - mostly High Pass-ish...Was ranked just inside of top 25% in class after first 2 years.
Clinicals - Honors in Emergency Medicine, OB-GYN, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry. High Pass in Surgery. Pass in Peds. Waiting on a couple more grades.
Research - Lots of orthopedic research projects (one recent publication, one abstract, two posters). Currently doing IR research, writing a paper that hopefully will get published before residency apps.
ECs - A bit of volunteer work (free clinic stuff, health fair, etc). Was an athlete in college, competed professionally for a while before med school. maybe that will help?

I know I need to do better on step 2. I have a lot of good rotations (diagnostics, neuroradiology, nucs) lined up for 4th year so I'm pumped.

what are my chances?

I agree with the above post, your chances are great. What region of programs are you interested in? If you want to stay in the South/Southeast, you have a good chance at Duke, UVA, UNC, Wake, Vandy, Florida programs; you may not get them all but you'll get a good chunk of them. Only limiting factor for "top" programs is your Step 1 (which is great--don't get me wrong and won't close too many doors) but some top programs have really high averages. Programs outside your region can be a crapshoot but the Midwest is typically nice, and with your solid research some of the more research-heavy places in the NE and West may give you some interviews. Look into Texas programs as well -- UTSW is a wonderful place and you have a good shot there too.

Hey all,

I'm a M3 still considering several specialties. IR is close to the top of my list and was wondering what my chances are at the top DR/IR programs:

Top 40 school (Midwest)
Step 1 - 255+
Step 2 - not taken yet
Preclinicals - High pass in M1, Pass in M2
Clinicals - 2 honors, 2 high passes
Research - 2 case reports published, several on-going ortho/vascular projects; will start IR research soon.
ECs - random volunteer work here and there

Thoughts?

I love IR and enjoy DR too. Ideally, I would love to go to program that is IR-friendly and will set me up for a good fellowship.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm a M3 still considering several specialties. IR is close to the top of my list and was wondering what my chances are at the top DR/IR programs:

Top 40 school (Midwest)
Step 1 - 260
Step 2 - not taken yet
Preclinicals - Letters in M1, Pass in M2
Clinicals - Pass in Psych, OB-GYN, IM; Honors in Neurology, High Pass in Surgery
Research - 2 case reports published, several on-going ortho/vascular projects; will start IR research soon.
ECs - random volunteer work here and there

I'm planning on doing a MPH year after M3 and further bolster my resume by adding more research.

Thoughts?

I love IR and enjoy DR too. Ideally, I would love to go to program that is IR-friendly and will set me up for a good fellowship.

Thanks in advance.
You will get interviews at all places you apply to and , if you publish that IR research (and maybe even if not), match at your #1 assuming you don't have interview flaws or weird knocks/penalties on your LORs.

Edit: If you take a year off and SIR continues with their plan, you will not be able to do a fellowship in IR (class of 2015 is supposed to have the last fellowship option and class of 2016 is supposed to be the first class that matches into IR as a different residency).

You will get interviews at all places you apply to and , if you publish that IR research (and maybe even if not), match at your #1 assuming you don't have interview flaws or weird knocks/penalties on your LORs.

Edit: If you take a year off and SIR continues with their plan, you will not be able to do a fellowship in IR (class of 2015 is supposed to have the last fellowship option and class of 2016 is supposed to be the first class that matches into IR as a different residency).

Can you elaborate a little more/post a link? Though it may be difficult to predict, how competitive do you think these residencies will be?

Ha, I wish I could elaborate more, no one's sure the true direction of IR but hey are trying to separate themselves from DR to an extent and change their model to a clinical one. As you are interested in this, I would highly recommend reading the threads below in their entirety.
Official: http://www.sirweb.org/clinical/IR_DR_cert.shtml
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ir-dr-dual-certificate-question.1064156/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/getting-ir-exposure-during-residency.1062254

Competitiveness. I'd predict that it would be pretty competitive its first years as the innovative institutions with powerful IR departments will lead the charge of the slow shift. But please, do realize that you are a stellar applicant with a Step1 of 260 and will be able to match anywhere in the country in either DR or IR.

260 alone doesn't buy a match at any particular program, tho. I was AOA, 260s on both Step 1/2, nearly all honors 3rd year, non-radiology pubs, top 25 school, etc. Only thing I didn't have was rads research. Got rejected at MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel, Penn, and Duke. Granted, I got great interviews otherwise but competition is clearly fierce at the top. A 260 isn't that special anymore.

260 alone doesn't buy a match at any particular program, tho. I was AOA, 260s on both Step 1/2, nearly all honors 3rd year, non-radiology pubs, top 25 school, etc. Only thing I didn't have was rads research. Got rejected at MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel, Penn, and Duke. Granted, I got great interviews otherwise but competition is clearly fierce at the top. A 260 isn't that special anymore.
That's partially why I'm worried. My goal would be to get into a IR friendly program but all of them are big name schools.

I fear my clinical grades won't be up to par. My school only gives out 10% honors and 15% high pass. Mix in the variability and subjectivity in grading and getting honors/high pass becomes a crapshoot.

I hope my LoR's, IR research will compensate....

That's partially why I'm worried. My goal would be to get into a IR friendly program but all of them are big name schools.

I fear my clinical grades won't be up to par. My school only gives out 10% honors and 15% high pass. Mix in the variability and subjectivity in grading and getting honors/high pass becomes a crapshoot.

I hope my LoR's, IR research will compensate....

Your MSPE will show the break-down of % getting honors. Your school seems very strict, where honors are tough to get, but your MSPE should explain it to programs that will actually read it.

Having some IR research will definitely help. I think that's what held me back at MGH/Duke/etc. -- because while I had pubs (1 1st author, 1 middle-of-the-pack author), I had no radiology research or presentations.

As far as going to an IR-heavy place, I think you'll have an excellent shot at UVA, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Brown, and some of the other really good IR places. I'm not too interested in IR so I am not sure exactly which the "top" places for IR are (other than knowing those programs I mentioned are really good for it), but I've heard residents at MGH and other fellow-heavy places don't get as much hands-on experience. But don't really listen to me, I dozed off whenever the PDs went over IR-specific stuff on interview day.

That's silly, the interview selection process at the top schools must be a crapshoot. I had a friend this season with much less impressive stats than you and she got interviews at 3 of those 5.

That's silly, the interview selection process at the top schools must be a crapshoot. I had a friend this season with much less impressive stats than you and she got interviews at 3 of those 5.

Interviewed at most of those places this year. Matched to one of them. They were pretty clear about how they go through the entire app before deciding whether to grant an interview. It seems to me that they have an idea of the type of people they want and you have to fit that pretty well before they'll grant you an interview. Interestingly, it didn't seem that stellar boards scores, grades, and other objective criteria were as big a part of their decision as I would've expected...though I'm sure they played a role in the initial screening.

I agree with the poster above -- I think a lot of places have a stereotype of their residents in mind, or at least a similar pattern. I am by no means an Ivy Leaguer/Northeasterner, so I can see why MGH passed on me.

I don't want to down play the accomplishments of my fantastic female coapplicants, but being female is probably a boost in radiology like how being male is a boost in obstetrics. Rads is very male dominated.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say at top programs, though, a 270 is viewed as more impressive than a 260, all else being equal. A friend of mine and I had very similar apps but his Steps were in the 270s, and he got a handful of interviews I didn't. But he didn't get them all (Cali is especially brutal it seems...)

Overall it's a crapshoot but if you're solid all around, you'll match somewhere great

Hi everyone! I'm an M4 at a lower tier medical school in the Southeast and developed a late interest in rads. I'm wondering if I have a good shot or not. Here are my stats:
Step 1: 250
Step 2: Will take in August
3rd year grades: 3/6 honors (>90th percentile on 3/6 NBMEs) but only passes (63rd and 65th percentiles) in Surgery and Medicine- I realize this will hurt me a lot :-\
AOA: Probably not
No research during medical school but hopefully I can get involved in a research project or case reports over the next few months
ECs are average, nothing special
I'm female, if that makes a difference at all.

I'm looking to stay in the Southeast region or go to the Northeast. Which programs do you think I have a decent shot at? Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
This one might be a little tricky...

I am a MS3 student from a mid tier school in Texas wondering what my chances are.

I will start by saying the throwaway is because I got a DUI in medical school... I have since quit drinking. (ERAS makes you disclose misdemeanors now)

Step 1: low 260's
Step 2: Not yet (likely will not take before interviews)
Pre clinicals: All honors (except 2 out of 12 classes)
Clinicals: 2 Pass (including IM), 2 High Pass, 2 Honors - My shelf grades were all 95% or higher if it matters. I think my school is hard to get honors in (yes I got a 99% IM shelf grade and only earned a pass).
AOA: Determined senior year but I will say I am 50/50 on this (I am out of sync by 3 months due to having to drop durig my OBGYN rotation for a medical leave of absence, essentially this means I will get it if being out of sync doesn't disqualify me)
Research: 1 second author basic science pub in ENT. 1 ENT basic science project no pubs anytime soon, 1 chart review in plastic surgery no pubs, 2 poster presentations.
Extras: Good extracurriculars and volunteering, lots of tutoring (2+ years). 1 away rotation at a top 10 residency program, 5 scholarships in med school,
Letters: Likely 1 radiology, 1 ENT, 1 Family medicine

I might be couples matching (partner is avg path applicant) - not set in stone.
My question is do I have a shot at a "top 25" program out of state (this will determine whether I couples match), alternatively will top Texas programs (UTSW/ Baylor Dallas) look at me? or should I expect to get into low tier program? Should I apply to backup specialties?

Last edited:
DO student:

-Step 1: 242 COMLEX 1: 645
-Step 2: 231 COMLEX 2: 550
-Top 15% of class, SSP (the DO version of AOA)
-Mostly Honors all of 3rd yr with a dash of High Pass (FM & Psych)
-all excellent comments, etc on evals
-Strong LORs, 1 Critical Care LOR, 1 very strong personal Rads LOR so far, hopeful of Rads dept head soon
-Division-I athlete, very personable
-Trying to get rads case report published as we speak

Do I have a shot?? Did I completely screw myself with that weak step 2 score?

Thx

MS4
You'll be fine, just apply broadly. You have a solid app. Just move past the lower Step 2 and enjoy the interview season.

This one might be a little tricky...

I am a MS3 student from a mid tier school in Texas wondering what my chances are.

I will start by saying the throwaway is because I got a DUI in medical school... I have since quit drinking. (ERAS makes you disclose misdemeanors now)

Step 1: low 260's
Step 2: Not yet (likely will not take before interviews)
Pre clinicals: All honors (except 2 out of 12 classes)
Clinicals: 2 Pass (including IM), 2 High Pass, 2 Honors - My shelf grades were all 95% or higher if it matters. I think my school is hard to get honors in (yes I got a 99% IM shelf grade and only earned a pass).
AOA: Determined senior year but I will say I am 50/50 on this (I am out of sync by 3 months due to having to drop durig my OBGYN rotation for a medical leave of absence, essentially this means I will get it if being out of sync doesn't disqualify me)
Research: 1 second author basic science pub in ENT. 1 ENT basic science project no pubs anytime soon, 1 chart review in plastic surgery no pubs, 2 poster presentations.
Extras: Good extracurriculars and volunteering, lots of tutoring (2+ years). 1 away rotation at a top 10 residency program, 5 scholarships in med school,
Letters: Likely 1 radiology, 1 ENT, 1 Family medicine

I might be couples matching (partner is avg path applicant) - not set in stone.
My question is do I have a shot at a "top 25" program out of state (this will determine whether I couples match), alternatively will top Texas programs (UTSW/ Baylor Dallas) look at me? or should I expect to get into low tier program? Should I apply to backup specialties?
IDK if an attending will read this post here, could post in the general rad forum or the confidential consult forum. I imagine that the DUI tag would vary from program to program, otherwise you obviously have top 25 stats.

hey guys ms3 from Caribbean school...would like to apply for rads and just looking for some opinions
Step 1: 244
Step 2 cs/ck: pass/august
Preclinicals: A's and B's and 1 C
Clinicals: A's
Research: none
extracurricular: tutored anatomy and taught a review class
letters: dept chair of surgery and im, 1 psych, probably 1 rads but it'll be last min since its my first ms4 year rotation

thanks all

Would appreciate feedback. What are my chances for rads or rad onc?

Current M3
Masters in Chemical Engineering
Step 1 - 233
Preclinicals - top half
Extracurriculars - various leadership, club, intramural, tutoring and volunteering roles
Research - 1 rad pub not 1st author but it had a lot of basic science, also 1 rad poster. 2 first author non rad pubs in engineering.
Mid tier U.S. MD school
Would like to be in the northwest or west coast but am flexible if need be.
Also I am very interested in rad/IR/rad onc research and am considering academics.

I know there's no big step 1 score or AOA but I'm pretty well rounded. I know west coast can be tough to match. Any feedback would be great!
Rad onc might be tough unless you can get a solid research project and some good letters, could apply to rad onc with rad as backup. Not sure if the engineering background would help substantially for rad onc app, imagine it would be a booster. Spend alot of time with a rad onc if you want to pursue that.

You'll be competitive for many great rad programs; also competitive for IR/DR combined programs too if you like IR. If SIR keeps its gameplan, you would have to match directly into an IR/DR program to do IR. They say that they will phase out fellowships after the class of 2015 (med school graduation year) and you'd have to do a 2-year IR mini-residency if you didn't do IR during residency. You'll have no problems matching in either diagnostic or interventional radiology.

Best of luck.

I would appreciate some feedback

3rd year at an unranked southeastern US school
Step 1: 235
Preclinical GPA: 3.29
ECs: volunteer at free clinic

I was thinking about trying to get into some kind of research project to strengthen my app.

Any advice about my chances of matching?