FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Things are changing. Here are newer stats.
65% of incoming rads residents have any published research
Mean step: 232
90% of applicants did some research
Those that did research had a 4% less chance of rejection
Only 1 person with a Step 1 score of 240 or above did not match
40% of applicants with a Step 1 of under 190 matched
55% of applicants with a Step 1 of under 200 matched

Info. courtesy of the AAMC
https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...1&cftoken=C1E81CED-4339-4175-B525CB2CCD03CB36

Ho do you read these graphs? Specifically the USMLE Step 1 scores. Are the lines at > or < the number?

Example: Does <=230 mean leass than or equal to 230 OR does it mean > or = to 230?

Members don't see this ad.

Means less than. Check the 270 score and see how it flips to show all scores greater than 270.

It is possible to match anything with under 200 Step 1 score. Not easy, but possible. Those with bad step scores probably have great LOR's and research, but you never really know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why were you asked to repeat those four rotations?? I'd think this will be discussed in your dean's letter, and they'll ask for your version of the story if you get interviews.

I would think you could still match somewhere -- esp. at community programs in the midwest or the south. Some of these programs aren't very attractive or friendly. Some are. If you really want to do rads, you can probably get in somewhere, but you might not get the best training and might not enjoy your 4 yrs of residency.

If you really want to do rads, I'd focus on:
1. Do as well as you can on your remaining rotations -- getting a few honors would help immensely.
2. Get great letters of rec.
3. Consider taking step 2 early on in 4th year. The curve is easier for step 2 vs. step 1, since many people don't study much. If your score improves significantly, that would help. If it goes down significantly, you might have to consider another field. If you take step 2 at just the right time and if you don't automatically report it to your programs, then it will be up to you if you want to show the programs your score or not.
4. Get some rads-related research in
5. Do away rotations at targeted programs -- where you have a good shot at getting in and where you'd like to go.

Should you apply for Int Med as a back-up? Maybe. Makes for a very busy application / interview season, since you'll also be interviewing for prelim / transitional year programs.
You could go all out for rads residency and for prelim medicine for your R1 year. If you match in rads, great. If you don't, you'll have the prelim med year lined up. From there you could try to stay on in the same program as a categorical, or you could look to match in an R2 position in another Int Med program.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "unfriendly" programs. What makes a program worse? Less teaching so more self study, more on-call, or what?

H Everyone,

That was a very well written post. As said by many, you have answered many questions. I was wondering as to what were your thoughts about applying for radiology after an IM residency in the case of an IMG. If this IMG perfomrs well as an IM resident and shows persistent interest in the radiology dept. with participation and contribution in research; does he stand a good chance in the same and other hospitals for Rad Res.

Thanks for your time. Cheers

i heard the match this year has been a bit more competitive than the past two years

can anyone comment on this please?

If you look on auntminnie, someone has posted the radiology vacancies for the past few years. Although radiology in early 2000s had vacancies of 2-5 spots per year, the last two years included vacancies around the 40s and high 30s. This year, vacancies were 17. Assuming that the stats of candidates are getting stronger or staying the same (a pretty safe assumption), then you would deduce that competition is starting to increase once again. Furthermore, there are at least two or three candidates that were regular posters on auntminnie who apparently didn't match despite good numbers (230s-240s)and plenty of interviews/rank listed programs, which would suggest further increases in demand for spots.

It's possible that programs just got too cocky the last two years and didn't rank enough candidates, and this year learned their mistake.

I got to know from reliable sources that LSUHSC Shreveport is expanding the program and increasing the number of slots.
Contact the program for further details.

This year applications are up substantially, from what I gather. I tried to scramble and there were several hundred people going for a smaller number of spots, around 17 this year. Last year was 1012 for 880, I think it was around 1200-1300+ for 906 ... man that's tough

Can anyone give me some input on my chances?

Top 50 State school
Step 1 = 242
Class rank = lower 1/3
Research = none
Extracurriculars = typical med student volunteer and AMA, AMSA type stuff

I would just be looking to match, not necessarily worried about reputation of the residency. Please give me as reaslistic advice as possible.

Thanks.

Any website that list the how many spots per year for each rad residency programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give me some input on my chances?

Top 50 State school
Step 1 = 242
Class rank = lower 1/3
Research = none
Extracurriculars = typical med student volunteer and AMA, AMSA type stuff

I would just be looking to match, not necessarily worried about reputation of the residency. Please give me as reaslistic advice as possible.

Thanks.

With your step score, I think your chances of matching SOMEWHERE are pretty good if you APPLY BROADLY. Apply to as many programs as you can afford, interview as many has you can attend. Try to get strong letters if you can, this will be all the difference, since your grades are now set in stone.

Please let me know what you think. I'm finishing my 3rd year with hopes for rad match.

School: Boston Univ
Step One: 222
Prior publications in rad: 1 poster during MS, 1 abstract invited for presentation (didn't go) during premed
MS3 grades: Need to repeat OBGYN (more later). H and HP otherwise.

Other info: English as sec language. Physics undergrad in good US college. 4 years high tech work experience prior to postbac premed. TA for medical imaging class for undergrads while premed.

I went into med school because I was interested in radiology. However, along the way, I realize that there are other opportunities that I would love to consider. At this moment, I'm doing a 2 week interclerkship (inst of spring break) in radiology and loving every bit of it. I'm torn.

Every post seems to reconfirm the competitive nature of this specialty. I just want you guys to chime in and suggest ways for me to strengthen my profile for radiology.

More on my OBGYN disaster... Lack of communication and insufficient feedback from very very mean residents. Thought I was cruising along until the day they called me to tell me I failed the clinical component. Vague negative evaluations but without anything specifically bad. I'm going to ace my repeat but what do I say in interviews?

Also, my Step 1 sucks. Will getting a better step 2 really help?

Thanks for all comments.
:(

I got to know from reliable sources that LSUHSC Shreveport is expanding the program and increasing the number of slots.
Contact the program for further details.
I recently spoke to my own reliable source at LSU Shreveport, and the plan to expand the program has been put on hold. The timing of starting up a new program in Monroe (2 hours away) and adding new residents and faculty members didn't work out. Maybe it could happen in another year or two, but not this year. I was disappointed too.

Please let me know what you think. I'm finishing my 3rd year with hopes for rad match.

School: Boston Univ
Step One: 222
Prior publications in rad: 1 poster during MS, 1 abstract invited for presentation (didn't go) during premed
MS3 grades: Need to repeat OBGYN (more later). H and HP otherwise.

Vague negative evaluations but without anything specifically bad. I'm going to ace my repeat but what do I say in interviews?

Also, my Step 1 sucks. Will getting a better step 2 really help?

Thanks for all comments.
:(

Your Step I is average for the general applicant pool, on the low side for the average 'matched' applicant. Absolutely, doing very well 240+ on Step II will help. I like the fact that you have research experience, you at least got posters or an abstract accepted. Its not quite a paper, but still thats pretty good. If you have mostly H and HP, then the OB/Gyn would seem to be a fluke. Be honest about why you think that happened to you. Was it your very first rotation?

I don't want you to become complacent. From the ad com point of view, you have a clinical F and a step I score of 222 (below the average for a match).
Kick ass on step II, blow OB/Gyn out of the water the second time around. Apply broadly. You can still have a good chance of matching somewhere.

Hans

the pd of medicine said today, if u dont get honors in first year anatomy, you can kiss radiology good bye. wtf?

the pd of medicine said today, if u dont get honors in first year anatomy, you can kiss radiology good bye. wtf?

Completely wrong. I know plenty of people who didn't get honors in "key" classes/rotations and matched just fine. I didn't get honors in anatomy and I'm not complaining with my match. It's always about the whole package, so don't get bummed if a few things aren't perfect.

Thats like saying if you get a B+ in orgo you should kiss med school good bye.

Absolutely ridiculous -- he should stick to prognosticating for chances for medicine residency. If you get an HP in anatomy but still make AOA, your chances are still EXCELLENT of not only matching but getting one of your top choices. Its the over all picture with your GPA and USMLE have the most pull. Re-read the FAQ if you must. Nowhere does it mention you have to get an A in anatomy to match in rads. If you fail anatomy, however, it would definitely raise eyebrows.

how do dual degrees, either MD/MPH or MD/MBA affect an application? Is it a plus, a minus, makes no difference either way?

i.e. did the guy from WashU with 0-1 honors get the same interviews as the AOA guy from podunk u?

this doesn't happen b/c of the grade inflation at WashU. They hand out Honors like nobody's business.

Which leads me to my question: do residency pd's (in general) realize that not all schools are equal in terms of H, HP, etc? My school only gives H to the top 10%, HP to the next 10%, the rest pass, which means you can make a 90% on a test and get a P.

Any insight?

Yeah, PDs know that some schools give out Honors like candy while at others you have to be in the top 10%. Often they know how grading works at a given school -- esp. if they get a lot of application from that particular place.

Also, supposedly there's a big push to make the dean's letter more of an evaluation (more info on class rank / more stats / and even comments about your weaknesses) and less of a big cheer-leading session for each and every student (which makes the letter rather meaningless).

Also, supposedly there's a big push to make the dean's letter more of an evaluation (more info on class rank / more stats / and even comments about your weaknesses) and less of a big cheer-leading session for each and every student (which makes the letter rather meaningless).

Has anyone else heard of this occurring? I believe our dean tried this and the school as a whole did very poorly in the match?

Has anyone else heard of this occurring? I believe our dean tried this and the school as a whole did very poorly in the match?
yeah, my school is doing this.. they're even putting bar graphs and all kinds of statistics in it... :scared:

Hiya everybody. I'm a 3rd year med student considering radiology and hopefully IR afterward. I was wondering what you guys/gals think about my stats, and what I can do to improve my application between now and 2008 applicat? Do you think I should try to do well in step 2 or wait till like Oct to take it?

Lower ranking med school
Step 1. 229/95
7 publications: 1 basic, 6 cardiology/radiology
1 RSNA poster 2007
3.86 GPA

Thanks for the help.

cptcustard

Hiya everybody. I'm a 3rd year med student considering radiology and hopefully IR afterward. I was wondering what you guys/gals think about my stats, and what I can do to improve my application between now and 2008 applicat? Do you think I should try to do well in step 2 or wait till like Oct to take it?

Lower ranking med school
Step 1. 229/95
7 publications: 1 basic, 6 cardiology/radiology
1 RSNA poster 2007
3.86 GPA

Thanks for the help.

cptcustard

7 pubs? How did you manage that?

HIya. The basic science one was done in undergrad in organometallic chem. The other 6 was from 1 year of postbac research and 2 years during med school. I got lucky finding a great PI.

custard

quick attempt to consider field other than medicine...

Last edited:
Here's my unusual situation:
What are my chances of getting into residency in Radiology?
I've passed Step 1,2,3. I've done residency in IM and Geriatrics fellowship. I've passed the Internal Medicine Boards. I've passed the Geriatric Medicine Boards. I've decided that I want to go into Radiology.

HIya ya'll. here's another website that I thought might be useful.

http://www.auntminnie.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=9

it's similar to sdn, but only for radiology. There's a forum section for med students and residents too w/ similar questions/answer about getting in. hope it helps, and good luck to ya'll.

custard:)

Probably most of you know of "charting outcomes 2007", but for the ones that don't, it gives teh stats breakdown for each specialty, including radiology. I think it might be helpful in giving us an idea of what last year entering class was. Good luck to ya'll

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

best,

custard

Px: poor.

221 is pretty low for a rads applicant -- esp. if you're applying late in the season. Most rads applicants get their apps on Sept 1 or a couple weeks after. An Oct 10 ap is pretty late. Additionally, you haven't rotated through rads. Can you get a LOR from a radiologist?

Despite all this, you might be able to match, but you'd want to apply to a ton of programs, esp. those programs NOT ranked in the top 80 or so for competitiveness. Matching anywhere in California is notoriously difficult.

Meanwhile, you're most interested in rads for the lifestyle? Bad prognostic indicator. Rads might only be 50-60 hours per week in the hospital for residency, but you should be hitting the books for a good 10+ hours per week outside of that. Rads are working harder and harder as the number of imaging studies goes up and as reimbursement goes down. Liability and malpractice are also significant issues.

Good luck with decision.

28yo m recently submitting ERAS application for internal medicine presents with newfound interest in radiology residency.

HPI
love medicine
want to go into cardiology eventually
dreading lifestyle of cardiologist
not considering being a hospitalist
most interested in lifestyle of radiologist
fan foresee hours spent behind computer dictating, etc
want to be in california for residency!

PMH
Step 1: 221
Grades: B student (preclinical and clinical both)
clinical evalutions: great evals, all revolving around enthusiasm and teamwork
No radiology rotations

A/P???

(sorry for being facetious, but i really do need some guidance)

Px: poor.

221 is pretty low for a rads applicant -- esp. if you're applying late in the season. Most rads applicants get their apps on Sept 1 or a couple weeks after. An Oct 10 ap is pretty late. Additionally, you haven't rotated through rads. Can you get a LOR from a radiologist?

Despite all this, you might be able to match, but you'd want to apply to a ton of programs, esp. those programs NOT ranked in the top 80 or so for competitiveness. Matching anywhere in California is notoriously difficult.

Meanwhile, you're most interested in rads for the lifestyle? Bad prognostic indicator. Rads might only be 50-60 hours per week in the hospital for residency, but you should be hitting the books for a good 10+ hours per week outside of that. Rads are working harder and harder as the number of imaging studies goes up and as reimbursement goes down. Liability and malpractice are also significant issues.

Good luck with decision.
what about:
mostly honors first 2 years
step 1: 248
mostly passes third year
middle of the road medical school
not AOA
non-rad research/abstract & poster

With a 248 and so-so clinical grades, my fortune-teller's ball reads top 30 or top 20 but not top 10.

Step 1-236
3rd year grades- mostly passes, two hp.

Would taking step II help because of my grades or no? It seems I did poorly because of shelfs and not personality/work ethic.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to post multiple times, i don't know how to remove the previous post.
How important to get AOA membership? I really want to do my residency in the top school (like Havard, stanford....) in a pretty competitive field (e.g radiology). Can i still get match there without AOA? I got 257 on step 1, honors 90% of the classes in year 1 and 2 , and get either honors or high pass in the third year so far, couple publications from NIH before and during medical school. (I will do more research at NIH in my senier year at a very famous lab, and get a letter from the PI. In the past, all the students who works in his lab get match in excellent places : 3 match in MGH, 2 match in UCSF, 4 match in UCLA, 1 match in U. Penn...do you think it will help?)
I just don't think that i will earn a AOA, because my school require people to get all honors in third year in order to get AOA, so is anyone get match at top 10 schools without AOA? (I really really want to do my residency in either UCSF, UCLA, stanford or Havard) Can i do anything to improve my chance. :confused:

Hi Guys,

How important to get AOA membership? I really want to do my residency in the top school (like Havard, stanford....) in a pretty competitive field (e.g radiology). Can i still get match there without AOA? I got 257 on step 1, honors 90% of the classes in year 1 and 2 , and get either honors or high pass in the third year so far, couple publications from NIH before and during medical school. (I will do more research at NIH in my senier year at a very famous lab, and get a letter from the PI. In the past, all the students who works in his lab get match in excellent places : 3 match in MGH, 2 match in UCSF, 4 match in UCLA, 1 match in U. Penn...do you think it will help?)
I just don't think that i will earn a AOA, because my school require people to get all honors in third year in order to get AOA, so is anyone get match at top 10 schools without AOA? (I really really want to do my residency in either UCSF, UCLA, stanford or Havard) Can i do anything to improve my chance. :confused:

I can tell you that my score is nowhere near yours, and I am AOA... and I'd rather be you.

you'll definitely get interviews at lots of the top places. if i may be so bold, your screen name suggests you are a female which, if true, would increase your odds tremendously (i can say this because i am a female applicant myself). other factors that will matter are what med school you go to (the top programs tend to be name ******), as well as how well you do in interviews. For instance HaRvard has two R's in it, and they would probably prefer an applicant who pronounces the name of the school correctly over one who does not.

Hi Guys,

you'll definitely get interviews at lots of the top places. if i may be so bold, your screen name suggests you are a female which, if true, would increase your odds tremendously (i can say this because i am a female applicant myself). other factors that will matter are what med school you go to (the top programs tend to be name ******), as well as how well you do in interviews. For instance HaRvard has two R's in it, and they would probably prefer an applicant who pronounces the name of the school correctly over one who does not.

I tend to assume this is the case, but how strong is the tendency? I go to a not-UTSW/not-Baylor Texas school, got a 251, mostly HP preclinical, 2 H so far in clinics, no research. Is it reasonable to hope to even get interviews at e.g. Hopkins, Harvard, Penn, etc (ie, "name" schools)?

Aha, but if you're from Boston, 'Havard' is how you pronounce it. :laugh:

Don't let people in tha student doctah fahrums mislead yah. Can be wicked hahd to get yah facts right. :rolleyes::thumbup:

I was hoping that those with experience could help me to gain an understanding of the competativeness of my application. I am a 3rd year at at well recognized school.

Did well during year I and II (top 1/4)
Step I: 230's
Honors so far in all three 3rd year clerkships

From what I understand, the odds are good that I will match overall, however I am unsure of where I would fall. Are these top 20, top 30, top 50, top 100... stats? Any help would be appreciated. :)

I was hoping that those with experience could help me to gain an understanding of the competativeness of my application. I am a 3rd year at at well recognized, but not top 10 medical school.

Did well during year I and II (top 1/4)
Step I: 235/98
Honors so far in all three 3rd year clerkships (including medicine)
1st authorship in quality journal (different specialty).

From what I understand, the odds are good that I will match overall, however I am unsure of where I would fall. Are these top 20, top 30, top 50, top 100... stats? Any help would be appreciated. :)

By all means apply to the top 20, but like a good diversified investment strategy, you should hedge by applying to a few 2nd tier and other middling residencies to be safe.

Good luck.

With a 235 and a pretty solid application otherwise, I'd GUESS you would only get 1 or 2 interviews at the top 15 most competitive places -- places like UCSF, MGH, Penn, MIR, Duke, Hopkins, NYU, Stanford, UCSD, etc. However, very strong programs that aren't quite so competitive -- places like Michigan, Wake Forest, UVA, Pitt, Wisconsin, Thomas Jeff, Cleveland Clinic, UAB -- are completely within your sights.

Some more rads research might help you with the academic heavy weights -- if that's what you want.

I thought I'd chime in as everyone else. I'm only recently considering rads for a career. With these stats what are the chances of matching in a metropolitan area? I'm not as much concerned about top programs. But, I would like to be in a position to do an interventional fellowship.
Step I: 222
Middle of class
BS in Computers
Research in Psychobiology before med school with no publications
Research in Orthopaedics with 1 poster accepted for presentation and what I expect to be a publication soon.
So far, my evals are all great in 3rd year, but no honors and we don't have high pass