FAP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1cfox21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a question about the FAP program. Is it possible to include a fellowship with the residency and receive the FAP benefits an extra year? For ex: Family Medicine then Sports Medicine fellowship for a total of 4 years. I'm guessing this may be difficult because you don't know in PGY1 if you'll get a fellowship or not. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

A1cfox21 said:
Just had a question about the FAP program. Is it possible to include a fellowship with the residency and receive the FAP benefits an extra year? For ex: Family Medicine then Sports Medicine fellowship for a total of 4 years. I'm guessing this may be difficult because you don't know in PGY1 if you'll get a fellowship or not. Thanks for the info.

no

Hmm, the moderator of the ophthalmology forum here (Dr. Andrew Doan) actually may have done something like this. Perhaps try sending him a PM.

your FAP contract will be for one program only, meaning you can take it for residency or for fellowship. However, at the last year of fellowship you can apply to the GME committee to see if you can be pre-approved for a fellowship. I don't know much about FP, but I can tell you that in Surgery it is very very rare that they will accept your application (cause basically everybody else applying has more priority than you, at that point).
good luck
a.