Family Medicine / General Peds / Kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much of family medicine practice involves children.

I need to choose between shadowing a family physician or general pediatrician for a year, and want significant kids exposure. I have already spent time over the last year with an internist, so I've had exposure to adult treatment. If family medicine is 50/50 for adults/kids, then that would be good as I can get exposure to both. However, if it's 90/10, then I think I should go with shadowing a pediatrician.

Also, do family practicitioners tend to get older kids?

Thanks!
:p :) :p

Members don't see this ad.

There are no set rules about what percentage of doctor's patients are of a given age. Firstly, it's community dependent. If a doctor works in a city in Florida where 75% of the population is over 65, odds are their practice will have fewer children. In contrast, look at an FP in a booming suburb and they may have up to 25% of their patients less than 16. In addition, FP allows one the freedom to market themselves to whatever population they feel they work best with. I know some FPs that "don't see children" and just work with adults. Others prefer to mix it up, so it's totally dependent on these factors.

Hope that helps.

It really is practice dependent. If you want significant peds exposure, you'll obviously get more with the Paediatrician, but may see more unusual cases than you might with an FP.

Check with the physicians you are thinking of shadowing and see what their practice mix is.