Family med spa ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this doable? For example if you sell your soul and hire some "dermatology trained" NP/PA, and then get trained on botox, then offer med spa services?

Seems pretty lucrative. If someone were to do this, and be just average successful what is the salary gonna be like? 700k?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Yes. My FM preceptor did this. She had some sort of medical personnel running the show (not sure if they were nurses, NPs, etc...pretty sure they were just aestheticians actually) and she went down there one afternoon a week. She would do botox and filler injections and then these other people would do coolsculpting, facials, and other things like that the rest of the time. She told me she made more in the ~3-4 hours she spent there than she made if she saw 40 patients in a day.

She had some degree of integrity, though, and said she only felt comfortable having herself be the one doing injections. I am sure if she cared less and wanted to hire some NPs/PAs to do the botox and fillers as well, she'd make more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this doable? For example if you sell your soul and hire some "dermatology trained" NP/PA, and then get trained on botox, then offer med spa services?

Seems pretty lucrative. If someone were to do this, and be just average successful what is the salary gonna be like? 700k?

Much easier said than done. If you want to fight for the cosmetic medispa market patients, then it will be tough and you'll have to compete on price with the myriad of other "providers" offering the same things. The patients who don't mind paying full price for cosmetic services will go to a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, which leaves the leftover groupon/Walmart/coupon cosmetic procedure patients who will shop around for the absolute cheapest services and are frequently impossible to satisfy. That being said as FM, I'm sure that you can open a medi-spa as most of the ones I have seen are run by mostly non-derm/plastics (ie. FM/EM/Gen Surg). Just be very careful and realize that it takes a lot of $$$ to start a medispa and if it doesn't work out you'll be lucky to break even. On the flip side, a well run medi-spa (or multiple) doesn't really have a ceiling as long as there is enough patient demand. Be careful what you get yourself into, it's a very high risk, high reward endeavor.

Reactions: 5 users
Much easier said than done. If you want to fight for the cosmetic medispa market patients, then it will be tough and you'll have to compete on price with the myriad of other "providers" offering the same things. The patients who don't mind paying full price for cosmetic services will go to a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, which leaves the leftover groupon/Walmart/coupon cosmetic procedure patients who will shop around for the absolute cheapest services and are frequently impossible to satisfy. That being said as FM, I'm sure that you can open a medi-spa as most of the ones I have seen are run by mostly non-derm/plastics (ie. FM/EM/Gen Surg). Just be very careful and realize that it takes a lot of $$$ to start a medispa and if it doesn't work out you'll be lucky to break even. On the flip side, a well run medi-spa (or multiple) doesn't really have a ceiling as long as there is enough patient demand. Be careful what you get yourself into, it's a very high risk, high reward endeavor.

Yeah, makes sense. I have noticed that these aestheticians will usually be fairly attractive individuals (even if the physician/ occasional NP) running the show is not. Seems to me like hiring qualified attractive employees (male + women, no discrimination here) will be the way to be successful.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I personally met an outlier of outliers who does this model of medicine and they make millions after covering overhead (which they told me is about 30%). Pretty much no insurance and cash business. It was set up as the whole med spa/integrative/functional medicine ordeal. When I went to interview there for a part time job, there was a whole menu of services that felt very gimmicky and does not feel like real medicine. But those loans wont pay themselves from FM alone. Im fellowship bound but after I finish, I will be doing 1 or 2 days a week there. Expected to make 30-50k a month with a 65/35 split with the owner which will probably be more than my primary job. 700k is definitely doable if smart . Some places look for integrative/functional medicine trained docs to cover some days at their clinic or injectors.

I personally met an outlier of outliers who does this model of medicine and they make millions after covering overhead (which they told me is about 30%). Pretty much no insurance and cash business. It was set up as the whole med spa/integrative/functional medicine ordeal. When I went to interview there for a part time job, there was a whole menu of services that felt very gimmicky and does not feel like real medicine. But those loans wont pay themselves from FM alone. Im fellowship bound but after I finish, I will be doing 1 or 2 days a week there. Expected to make 30-50k a month with a 65/35 split with the owner which will probably be more than my primary job. 700k is definitely doable if smart . Some places look for integrative/functional medicine trained docs to cover some days at their clinic or injectors.
So, you're a sellout, too.

Why is this crap even being talked about here...? It sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with family medicine.

Reactions: 7 users
So, you're a sellout, too.

Why is this crap even being talked about here...? It sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with family medicine.
Sure, im a sell out but FM just isn’t that lucrative when you join a practice doing outpatient medicine. It can be with productivity but at cost of lifestyle. Seeing 25-30 patients a day makes me nauseated thinking about it. FM outpatient will still be high earners by normal standards but compared to normal people we have huge loan amounts. I am doing it to pay my loans off and gain financial freedom which sometimes feel hard to do without the extra
salary. My FM attendings in residency are still paying off their loans. My ortho/ent/uro/anesthesia friends worry about their loans and makes me feel more insecure about my ability to pay it off if those future high earners are stressing. Im not in practice so i could be worried over nothing i ono

Last edited:
Sure, im a sell out but FM just isn’t that lucrative when you join a practice doing outpatient medicine. It can be with productivity but at cost of lifestyle. Seeing 25-30 patients a day makes me nauseous thinking about it. FM outpatient will still be high earners by normal standards but compared to normal people we have huge loan amounts. I am doing it to pay my loans off and gain financial freedom which sometimes feel hard to do without the extra
salary. My FM attendings in residency are still paying off their loans. My ortho/ent/uro/anesthesia friends worry about their loans and makes me feel more insecure about my ability to pay it off if those future high earners are stressing. Im not in practice so i could be worried over nothing i ono
I'm calling B.S., troll. For one thing, anyone who went to med school knows the difference between "nauseous" and "nauseated." GTFO.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Sure, im a sell out but FM just isn’t that lucrative when you join a practice doing outpatient medicine. It can be with productivity but at cost of lifestyle. Seeing 25-30 patients a day makes me nauseated thinking about it. FM outpatient will still be high earners by normal standards but compared to normal people we have huge loan amounts. I am doing it to pay my loans off and gain financial freedom which sometimes feel hard to do without the extra
Horse hockey. Find the right set up and you can do quite well not killing yourself.

Reactions: 6 users
Why stop with this? There are many more ways for you to exploit your M.D. for money, you only have to use your imagination.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)

Not that easy. It takes time to build up a clientele, and there aren't indefinite amounts of people who have a bunch of money for cosmetic stuff. it's a glutted field. Tons of people in the cosmetic/beauty industry.

For the physicians who engage in this type of pseudoscientific work, I wonder what the breakdown is between those who unknowingly do it out of ignorance thinking it does work compared to those who knowingly grift for money

For the physicians who engage in this type of pseudoscientific work, I wonder what the breakdown is between those who unknowingly do it out of ignorance thinking it does work compared to those who knowingly grift for money
I've wondered the same, especially when I see billboards advertising X nonsense with a real doctor's name attached.

As a long time lurker, I can say its not quite that cut and dry. I recently opened a private practice that deals with HRT and Aesthetics. I did not hire anyone, I trained and studied and do all my procedures myself. I have a real passion for it.....I have done more research, journal reads and research reviews than I ever did in residency........ mainly because I really want to. I really enjoy it and its really fun. I do botox, filler, hair restoration, non surgical body conturing. I will probably top off with in the next year with low volume liposuction and nano fat transfer. Now for the realism.......I still have yet to see a profit, The patients can be very demanding, competition is fierce. People think I make a killing based on charging $900/syringe of filler, but that syringe costs me $700! lol. but not having to deal with insurance is fantastic. I do aesthetics, not med spa (think peels, laser hair removal, etc) and although I walk a thin line, I cant stand the wellness/integrative industry. I have a true passion and im dedicating myself to my craft. Thats not selling out in my book. Maybe its real medicine maybe its not. But your right, it has nothing to do with Mr. Johnsons HA1C

Reactions: 4 users
As a long time lurker, I can say its not quite that cut and dry. I recently opened a private practice that deals with HRT and Aesthetics. I did not hire anyone, I trained and studied and do all my procedures myself. I have a real passion for it.....I have done more research, journal reads and research reviews than I ever did in residency........ mainly because I really want to. I really enjoy it and its really fun. I do botox, filler, hair restoration, non surgical body conturing. I will probably top off with in the next year with low volume liposuction and nano fat transfer. Now for the realism.......I still have yet to see a profit, The patients can be very demanding, competition is fierce. People think I make a killing based on charging $900/syringe of filler, but that syringe costs me $700! lol. but not having to deal with insurance is fantastic. I do aesthetics, not med spa (think peels, laser hair removal, etc) and although I walk a thin line, I cant stand the wellness/integrative industry. I have a true passion and im dedicating myself to my craft. Thats not selling out in my book. Maybe its real medicine maybe its not. But your right, it has nothing to do with Mr. Johnsons HA1C
Actually, it sounds like a pretty crappy practice model. I make bank off Mr. Johnson's HgbA1c.

Actually, it sounds like a pretty crappy practice model. I make bank off Mr. Johnson's HgbA1c.
lol. Its actually not. Its just the reality of the field, hanging your own shingle, and opening up a practice. I'm not worried about "making bank" right now.

Direct Primary Care would like a word with you

Reactions: 2 users

It doesn’t seem from your post that you’re practicing unethically like most of the other medspa/functional/integrative practices. Can you share what your gross income after all expenses is per month?

It doesn’t seem from your post that you’re practicing unethically like most of the other medspa/functional/integrative practices. Can you share what your gross income after all expenses is per month?
Which is why I cant stand to be lumped in with them. As for my income, without getting into specifics, I have been open for 6 mths, each month was progressive increase in income but still at a loss until this month. this month I made about 10-15k over operating costs (best month yet). I'm still not taking a check, but I can cover my operating costs and pay my staff, so its a win for me.

Which is why I cant stand to be lumped in with them. As for my income, without getting into specifics, I have been open for 6 mths, each month was progressive increase in income but still at a loss until this month. this month I made about 10-15k over operating costs (best month yet). I'm still not taking a check, but I can cover my operating costs and pay my staff, so its a win for me.

How did you start your cosmetic business? Is it part of your standard business? And how do you advertise?

I really love how so many folks in this thread got so very salty at the prospect of someone making easy money. Most definitely crabs in a bucket.

Reactions: 3 users