false representation - ross's Chinese student association.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDragon

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is right.

They call themselves "Chinese students," I doubt that 1% of them are actually Chinese citizens, or have ever lived in China.

And they had a "bingo night" to raise their funds not so long ago. That is so not Chinese. For one thing, Chinese don't play bingos; second, even real Chinese students who study in the US don?t know how to play bingos.

And I have already heard a comment from one person, asked if the "Chinese" won all the prizes.

That particular organization definitely is not for Chinese students.

Members don't see this ad.

They are all Russian Chinese, you think?

Now poly, not all Russians are mobsters. And the Russian mob hasn't taken over bingo yet. The logic is obviously: bingo, ergo church-going, ergo god-fearing, ergo no commie, ergo no Chinese. Right, NewDragon?

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
newdragon, ala preppy, claims to be russian chinese... hopes this helps.

Originally posted by poly
newdragon, ala preppy, claims to be russian chinese... hopes this helps.

Have you taken your behavioral science, yet? You know how to diagnosis someone who is delusional?:confused:

However, I am not the preppy that you are talking about, you are obviously delusional.

Originally posted by NewDragon
Have you taken your behavioral science, yet? You know how to diagnosis someone who is delusional?:confused:

However, I am not the preppy that you are talking about, you are obviously delusional.

You are right! I stand corrected. The real preppystud had prep. You seem to have lost yours.

Are you in the medprep program? How do you spend so much time on messageboards? Useless time at that.

You're quite amusing, ****.

EDITED BY STEPHEN EWEN. IT IS EXPRESSLY AGAINST SDN TOS TO BREACH THE PRIVACY OF MEMBER NAMES. ONLY MEMBERS THEMSELVES MAY DO THAT.

Originally posted by nabeya
You're quite amusing, ****.

Who's ****? preppy/newdrag?

EDITED BY STEPHEN EWEN. IT IS EXPRESSLY AGAINST SDN TOS TO BREACH THE PRIVACY OF MEMBER NAMES. ONLY MEMBERS THEMSELVES MAY DO THAT.

I find NewDragon's racial stereotyping offensive.

I don't care if he's chinese/indian/white/black/hispanic.

His comments that "real" chinese don't play bingo lack any kind of intelligent foresight. For one thing you fail to define what "real" means.

I am Canadian and live in Canada. I know plenty of "real" chinese people. I've also been to bingo halls. I see plenty of chinese people there, as well as people of many other races. I believe that "real" people of any persuasion should be able to do whatever the hell they want.

Cheers,

Silenthunder

I think that your racial ignorant annoying.

real chinese are chinese who live in China. For your information. fortune cookie is not a Chinese thing. It was invented in the states, if not somewhere close by.

Real Chinese do not even know what "bingo" is. Real Chinese play marjong, pokers, etc, but not bingo.

And if you ever go to any of those Chinese student association in any undergrad colleges, you know that they don't play "bingos" as groups. It is just like eat bread is not a part of Chinese culture. And most of the students at those Chinese student associations are actually real Chinese.

back to my original topic, the "chinese" student association at Ross are not real Chinese. the name is misleading. they can't represent Chinese students, their culture is mostly "americanized."

good thing, "Chinese" is not a copy-righted word.

I think that your racial ignorant annoying.

real chinese are chinese who live in China.

By your own definition you are no longer "real" chinese. Once you left China you stopped being "real" chinese, because you weren't in China anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so maybe they're not "real" chinese, but that is the group they identify the most with. Who are you to tell someone they're not what they believe they are?

Also, the "bingo" you keep harping on that fact. It was just a FUNDRAISER to raise funds for the group. It wasn't their way of trying to share they're culture. It was a way to gain money for their club! It got the whole school involved and probably raised a good amount of money to support the group and their activities. Events repeat themselves here every semester.

Flag football, the pool touranment, the talent show, bingo night. They are just fund raisers which are sponsered by student groups. It could be that next semester the Indian Student Assoc manages to take over bingo night and the CSA will sponser the pool tournament.

Yesh!

Unlike jewish people, they are a religious bunch. Chinese is not a religion. and it is merely a name for the people who live in China, etc.

Ask some of the asians that you meet if they have ever been asked "do you speak english" in the US or in Canada, most likely, they have been asked that question in their lifetime.

I have no problems of students having fundraiser, etc, etc. It is just that name they have chosen does not reflect the nature of their club.

And there are lots of native born Asians constantly complain that people in the US and in Canada still think them as new immigrants, and they sometimes get compliment as "wow, your english is very good,etc."

How often do you refer a white person as "that german guy," "that british guy," and how often do you call a Asian who is a citizen of US or Canada, "that chinese guy," "that korean guy."
In a way, most people still think that Asians are not "americans," or "canadians."

It seems that your argument is a bit flawed.

By your logic the Chinese student association should only include people who are "real" chinese, and not american/canadian/whateverothercountry-chinese.

Your logic should then be extended to other associations:
Indian associations should only include people from India (rather than canadian/american/whateverothercountry-indian) Your reference to religion wouldn't work for Indian associations either, since they often include people from many different religions (hinduism, islam, bhuddhism, Sikh).

I don't think these associations are misrepresenting themselves. They seem to be allowing a forum for people of a certain culture to get together. The only person they seem to be bothering by not defining themselves as "the american/
canadian/whateverothercountry-chinese association)" seems to be you.

I have been told that I speak "really good english". I take offense to this because I was born in Canada, and I only speak one language fluently: English!!! I'm also a bit put-off by people who assume I speak hindi or some other language just because my skin is a different color. I don't think this problem is unique to chinese people.

Cheers all,

Silenthunder

I have no problems of students doing fundraising activities, etc.

I am also not saying who should be in the Chinese student association. However, if that association does not reflect its name, then it should not use the name. It is totally misleading!

There are lots of Asians are trying to compete with each other among different associations. I think that unlike the normal ethnic clubs in other colleges, there are many people who are not in that particular ethnic group join those specific ethnic groups.
So Asians set up those associations to compete with each other to see if they can outdo the other by recruiting more people in their own association.

In a way, they are telling the whole campus and the Dominicans on campus, ?Hey, look, we are not real Americans or Canadians. We are just different!?

Last time, the Vietnamese student association did their fundraising activity by selling their traditional ?Pho? noodles. There was also a Korean student association on campus, but I think that they did not get enough members. So it is now dysfunctional.

I think that Asians are being ignorant for setting up so many different clubs on campus. They don?t know how to play politics. For one thing, most of them were born in the states or Canada, and most of them are quite ?americanized.? So their cultures are no different than the rest of the people. They should learn from the Latin American students, they only have one club on campus. And the white men in congress know that Latin voters count, but those white men care less about the Asians, ?cause Asians are like the ones on campus, they don?t know how to unite and form one unique force.

I feel pity for all those who join separate Asian clubs on campus.

I am also not saying who should be in the Chinese student association. However, if that association does not reflect its name, then it should not use the name. It is totally misleading!
What's so misleading about it? It seems to be a club for Chinese students to get together and for anyone else who wants to understand the culture better or interact more with students of Chinese descent. Also, "Chinese" is not a term for people living in China. It describes an ethnicity or nationality. Therefore, the term "Chinese" does not imply any involvement of people actually living in China.

There are lots of Asians are trying to compete with each other among different associations. I think that unlike the normal ethnic clubs in other colleges, there are many people who are not in that particular ethnic group join those specific ethnic groups.
So Asians set up those associations to compete with each other to see if they can outdo the other by recruiting more people in their own association.
How do you know they're competing against each other? Define what a "normal" ethnic club is?

In a way, they are telling the whole campus and the Dominicans on campus, ?Hey, look, we are not real Americans or Canadians. We are just different!?
Again, pure implication by speculation.

I think that Asians are being ignorant for setting up so many different clubs on campus. They don?t know how to play politics. For one thing, most of them were born in the states or Canada, and most of them are quite ?americanized.? So their cultures are no different than the rest of the people. They should learn from the Latin American students, they only have one club on campus. And the white men in congress know that Latin voters count, but those white men care less about the Asians, ?cause Asians are like the ones on campus, they don?t know how to unite and form one unique force.
Most Indians, Latin Americans, etc. on campus are also "americanized." Latin voters "count more" because there are far more of them than Asians. And I would argue that it is easier to relate culturally with a common language (e.g. Spanish for Latin Americans) than it is for cultures of differing languages to relate to each other. I speak more than one language and everytime I switch to another language besides English, it becomes easy to adopt the tone and mannerisms of that respective culture. I would also argue that the cultures of varying Asian groups (even Americanized Asian groups) are far more different than what most people think.

I feel pity for all those who join separate Asian clubs on campus.
I could say the same for you.

From what I know so far, there are non-Asian members in the Chinese and Vietnamese student associations. The Viet club started long time ago. Those "Chinese" must think that "mmm, why do they have all the fun, I don't wanna join the viet association, 'cause I am not a viet. Maybe I will just start my own, and see if I can get more non-Asians to join my club." So the "Chinese" started their own club, and they welcome anyone to join. And they do not speak Chinese during meetings. English is their official language.

So in the end, the Chinese and viet clubs basically have the same functions, but separate entities. So they are competing with each other. Most of them were born in the states or grow up in the states. So you can't really say that the "Chinese" and the "viet" students are anything different, even though their original culture are similar.

A normal ethnic club is a place where actual ethnical people join. Like in the undergrads, you only have real Chinese from the great China joining the Chinese student association, and you have real viet people who speak fluent Vietnamese, but limited English to join the viet club. And you hardly ever see a non-Asian student joining those ethnic clubs, because most of the time, those people speak actual Chinese or Vietnamese during club meetings.

Back to my original topic, those "Chinese" they are not real Chinese. They should change their club name to reflect the true nature of their association. I have no problem with any of them, or anything they do. It is just that the name doesn't fit with their real purpose.

Those Asians on campus should know that unity is the key to success. I suggest that they use a unified name for all their clubs; they can have names such as "Asian Club - Chinese branch." Or they can just use the name "Asian club." I am sure that when it comes to school policy, Latin American student association will have a more powerful role play than any of those separated Asian clubs on campus. Pity for the Asians. They came to "United" states to live "separately."

you dont have to be of a certain ethnic background to join a club.

the president of latin club wasn't even latin. He likes the culture.
its about people of similar culture coming together but also teaching and introducing the culture to new people.

I feel like we're waisting our breath with you.

Would be nice if everyone just ignored his idiotic ramblings

Yea, people are already having problems of a non-Latin being the president of the Latin club. US has laws that prohibit any non-US born citizens running for president. It seems that the country is "shallow" than the people at that Latin student club? :confused:

The club that I mentioned has the name of Chinese STUDENT association, it means it is a place for the Chinese students. Therefore it is misleading. If it changes to Chinese culture club, or something like that, then it won't be a false representation.

Understand?

Yea, people are already having problems of a non-Latin being the president of the Latin club. US has laws that prohibit any non-US born citizens running for president. It seems that the country is "shallow" than the people at that Latin student club? :confused:

The club that I mentioned has the name of Chinese STUDENT association, it means it is a place for the Chinese students. Therefore it is misleading. If it changes to Chinese culture club, or something like that, then it won't be a false representation.

Understand?

Obviously, your use of the definition of Chinese is different from everyone else on this forum. If a person is ethnically Chinese, he/she can choose to be called Chinese. Therefore a Chinese student club is not a false representation if it has students who are ethnically Chinese. Whether or not they were born in the U.S. should have no bearing on their ethnicity (duh!).

Originally posted by lmbebo

I feel like we're waisting our breath with you.

Would be nice if everyone just ignored his idiotic ramblings

Isn't it annoying when the least intelligent among us is also the loudest? I don't think I'm being too harsh when I say that a person of such poor judgement should never graduate to become a doctor...hopefully the system acts as an appropriate "filter".

NO, you are wrong.

Ask those "Chinese" if they would rather have a passport of China or a passport of USA. How can one define oneself as a Chinese if one does not want to be a citizen of China?

And they are the same people who will tell you that they are sick hearing "americans" calling them as foreigners, because they are just like everyone else they were born in the us, and educated in the us.

those are not Chinese, those are americans. their name is misleading, and their activites are not related to Chinese at all.

Because I do not agree with you, that doesn't make me a less doctor, your logic obviously is faulty.

NO, you are wrong.

Ask those "Chinese" if they would rather have a passport of China or a passport of USA. How can one define oneself as a Chinese if one does not want to be a citizen of China?

And they are the same people who will tell you that they are sick hearing "americans" calling them as foreigners, because they are just like everyone else they were born in the us, and educated in the us.

those are not Chinese, those are americans. their name is misleading, and their activites are not related to Chinese at all.

I think you're confusing the issue between ethnicity and nationality. Most of us would agree that the use of "Chinese," "Vietnamese," "Black," "Latin American," "Indian," etc. in the names of organizations here on campus refer to ethnicity/heritage and not to nationality. Many (if not all) of those Chinese that you refer to are likely American or Canadian by nationality but that does not mean they are not ethnically Chinese. And who's to say that all their activities have to be related to their heritage. For all we know, they may have something planned for Chinese New Year. To my understanding, they are a new group, so give them a chance.

NO, you are wrong.

NewDrag, wake up and learn to separate your own narrow definition of ethnicity from the rest of the world's. One way to do this is to study interpretations that vary from your own (one place to start is Diamond's anthropological Guns, Germs and Steel, or any book on evolutionary, cultural, or even behavioral psychology).

Sometimes ppl from a common race and/or ethnicity and/or country of origin and/or upbringing and/or pattern of beliefs or behavior, seek one another in seemingly indirect ways to help them share or concentrate the overlap of interests and/or culture. This does nothing to indict their 'authenticity', nor does it preclude a free will to do things like play bingo.

(basically I'm just rephrasing awdc).

-pitman

1. the chinese club is giving the whole campus an image that chinese people are simply not "american."

2. those "chinese" do not do real Chinese activities, it is another false representation of the Chinese culture.

3. it is neither a chinese culture club or a club for real chinese students.

4. those "chinese" on campus do not celebrate Chinese National Holiday. That is so un-Chinese.

From what I have known so far, almost all those Chinese student clubs at those undergrad colleges are really for real chinese.

So they should change their name, then do whatever they want.
At least the viet club had an event to promote the viet dish Pho.

If you'd stop presuming that the "Chinese club" inherently proclaims "we are Chinese nationalists and do all things as in mainstream China", then you'd understand it.

1. the chinese club is giving the whole campus an image that chinese people are simply not "american."
No, it only gives you that image, because of your myopic vision. But you make no sense requiring that the Chinese have to want Chinese nationality to be considered Chinese, and that they must do things Chinese if they are to call themselves Chinese, while at the same time they must not be un-American (!?).

2. those "chinese" do not do real Chinese activities, it is another false representation of the Chinese culture.
The members do have overlapping interests realized by an interest in broader things "Chinese" (e.g., common mannerisms, elements of upbringing, identity, and/or country of origin, etc.). And here's an important justification: they share those interests more so than with the general school population.

3. it is neither a chinese culture club or a club for real chinese students.
Take out your silly "real", and the absurdity of your statement becomes more clear.

4. those "chinese" on campus do not celebrate Chinese National Holiday. That is so un-Chinese.
At best all you can claim here is that such practices are not widely shared in China, further demonstrating your myopia. Nonetheless your stereotype is actually quite racist to some. Chinese in urban China now enthusiastically celebrate Christmas (and much else that is seen as Western)..are they too all "un-Chinese"? Consider the absurdity of calling someone's behavior, "un-American".

-pitman

It's like hitting your head against a brick wall. You can present the most sound reasoning and he'll still come back with the same unsophisticated arguments.

But we can be just as persistent ;)

Well, I care to address nonsensical or illogical diatribes, to make sure they don't contaminate the world :p. Besides, it's good practice for problem-solving and debating skills.

But I like Stephen's approach to moderation -- don't censor unless really necessary (BTW he really doesn't like swearing), while allowing others to auto-filter particular users' posts.

-pitman

Wow, I want that 5 minutes of my life back I just spent reading this tripe.

GET A LIFE NEWDRAGON! Or at least some friends..