Fall 2014 Admission Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

africanpharmd14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for students applying this PHARMCAS cycle for fall 2014 admission.
Please feel free to post your stats and where you are applying.
(And is there is a thread already created for this purpose, please redirect me)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying for fall 2014 matriculation.

Today is May 17th 2013. I will reply to this post one year from now hopefully as a pharmacy student or as a post bacc. Which one will it be? Only the pharmacy gods can answer that lol

I am also applying for fall 2014 matriculation.

Today is May 17th 2013. I will reply to this post one year from now hopefully as a pharmacy student or as a post bacc. Which one will it be? Only the pharmacy gods can answer that lol
Which schools are you applying to?
University of Maryland is my top choice.

I'm applying to UMKC. Have you guys taken your PCAT yet? I'm going to be taking it on January 2014. Any tips on how to ace it? I've been studying SAT critical reading by Barron's to help with my reading comprehension and Verbal Ability on the PCAT. Any useful material you guys can suggest? Thank you

I'm taking the PCAT this July. I've just been going over some books from 'Cliff Notes' and some other books I found on amazon.
I mean it shouldn't be that hard if you didn't fool around with your prerequisite classes.

And I'm also applying to Uni of Pitt

The following has been posted in the WAMC thread. However, the WAMC thread has been neglected for a number of days now, so I thought I would post things here. If it gets moved, oh well... I tried.

For Fall 2014 admission

a.) Schools applying to: UMN, OSU, UW-Madison, U-Michigan, U-Iowa, UC-Denver.

b.) Cumulative GPA: 2.49 (GPAs include retaken classes)

c.) Math/Science GPA: 2.62 (I was a careless student until I decided on pharmacy)

d.) Last 75 credits: 3.43

e.) Since transferring to university from cc 2 years ago: 3.452

Notable Prereqs:

(Before pursuing pharmacy)

Public Speaking: C
General Psych: C
Sociology: C
Comp I: C
Comp II: B

(After pursuing pharmacy)

Gen Chem I: A

Gen Chem II: A-

Orgo I: B

Orgo I Lab: B+

Orgo II: A

Orgo II Lab: Taking in Fall

Gen Bio: A-

Cell and Molecular Bio: A

Microbio: A-

Genetics: B+

Anat + Phys. I and II: Taking 2013-2014

Calculus-based Physics I: B

Physics Lab I: B-

Calculus-based Physics II: A-

Physics Lab II: A-

Calculus: A

Statistics: A

Microeconomics: B+

f.) PCAT score: Will take it this September

g.) Experience:
-Shadowed hospital pharmacy technician in multiple areas of same hospital.
-PTCB certified since march 2011, and have since done continuing education to keep it.
-Was a backup pharmacy technician at Walgreen's for a few months.
-CPR certified
-Certified pharmacy technician for over a year at retail setting.
-Will work as a pharmacy technician over the summer and 2013-2014 academic year at a free clinic in town

h.) Application submission date: Cannot do it yet.

i.) LORs- Will be getting three:
-Pharmacist I work with
-Organic professor (doing research with him in the fall)
-Cell and Molecular Bio Professor

j.) Non-Pharmacy experience:
-Fed Ex package loader for 1 month
-Walgreen's cashier for 2.5 years (while acting as backup pharm tech for a few months)
-Took class on being a pharmacy technician (memorized lots of drugs and laws)
-University pre-pharmacy club treasurer
-Pre-health club member
-Performing research on stereochemistry of drugs (broad topic so far) with organic professor in fall 2013. In spring 2014, I will present this to the entire chemistry department, along with anyone else who decides to show up.
-Wrote honors paper on the benefits of pharmacogenomics
-Traveled to Central America to provide free health care to underprivileged communities for two weeks.
-Currently honors student set to graduate with BS-biochemistry, Minor-biology in spring 2014.
-Hope to be volunteering at food pantry in town over summer and 2013-2014 academic year.

k.) Self Perception of Interview Skills: I need to make sure I will be ready for the types of questions they'll ask. I tend to drag a topic kind of far, but I'm very excited to talk about why I want to pursue pharmacy, how I got interested, where I think pharmacy will go in 10 years, the growing need for MTM, etc.

l.) Personal Statement: Not too worried about this, as I write eloquently and am excited about this part of the application.

PharmCAS opens up for Fall 2014 Application on June 3rd. I called them today and that's what they told me.

I have set aside almost $5,000 for application fees. I didn't get accepted for this past year, so now I am determined more than ever to get into pharmacy school in 2014. I will be applying to many pharmacy schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
overall gpa 3.0. math/science gpa 2.8. PCAT: 64

I've seen stats worse than those get accepted to pharmacy school. You should research more programs and apply to those that accept your application stats.

Btw $5000 saved up for the application period? My god, how much does pharmcas charge for each school you apply to?

I've seen stats worse than those get accepted to pharmacy school. You should research more programs and apply to those that accept your application stats.

Btw $5000 saved up for the application period? My god, how much does pharmcas charge for each school you apply to?

In the beginning of my college career I wasn't a serious student so I had many repeats in classes which hurt my chances alot. I was told in some of my rejections that I have repeated too many classes. I guess you get hurt for your past mistakes. No matter what I do, my past mistakes in my education career will always follow me.

The price varies for every school. I have been saving for a while now, I am determined more than ever to get into pharmacy school. If I have to I will apply to a school in every single state. I will get into at least one school. I will not give up. I will achieve my dream.

In the beginning of my college career I wasn't a serious student so I had many repeats in classes which hurt my chances alot. I was told in some of my rejections that I have repeated too many classes. I guess you get hurt for your past mistakes. No matter what I do, my past mistakes in my education career will always follow me.

The price varies for every school. I have been saving for a while now, I am determined more than ever to get into pharmacy school. If I have to I will apply to a school in every single state. I will get into at least one school. I will not give up. I will achieve my dream.

Now what schools are you considering to apply if that's the case, because I am in the same boat. I am looking to apply everywhere though....

Now what schools are you considering to apply if that's the case, because I am in the same boat. I am looking to apply everywhere though....
I'm in the same boat too; my current GPA is 3.0, but I haven't taken my PCAT yet; that's this July.

I worked for 5 months at CVS
I literally have no extracurricular activities to my name

So frankly; my chances are not that good, but I plan to study by ass off for the PCAT

I am applying to every accredited school in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

I'm taking the PCAT July 18th. I have plans on applying to University of Houston, Texas A &M, Texas Southern (o_O) and Howard. Although I would prefer Texas A &M, U of H is cheaper so it is my first choice. I would also be looking up other schools in Chicago and Maryland.

a. Schools you are applying to
NOVA southeastern University, U.F, University of Maryland, University of Michigan.

b. Overall GPA -
3.85 in my current school, 3.93 from the school I transferred from.

c. Math/Science GPA -
I honestly haven't calculated that seperately. I do have an -A in organic II and a B+ in organic I and B in chem. (Got A's in all other science and math courses).

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
Haven't taken it yet. Will see.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained-
Currently shadowing a pharmasict.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
By the end of this summer- start of fall.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3. Haven't asked yet. Thinking about asking a pharmist, cell molecular bio and biochem professors.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
Volunteered at a hospital (physical therapy) for 6 months.
Independent study/research assistant (study on creatine phosphate and energy drinks)
CPR certified.
ACE (American council on Exerice) Certified personal trainer. Giving private sessions.
Constantly volunteer to teach elementary school kids.
Regular voluneer for MSAA and Foundation fighting blindness for donations, etc.
Beach clean ups, marathons, etc.
Honor student.

j. Self-perception of interview skills -
We'll see. I'll just be mysel I guess

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I'm writing it now and it's giving me trouble to be honest. I've never written one before. It's Those kind of papers are too vauge for my taste. :p

a.Schools I am applying to.
Temple U (first choice)
South University (South Carolina)
Lecom Erie
MCPHS Worchester
Mercer
UMD
ACP
Sullivan
b. Overall GPA
NOT CALCULATED Over 3 schools for transcripts
c.Math/ Science
Read B
d.Complete PCAT Scores
Not taken yet: July
e.Pharmacy Experience Obtained
Currently employed at a well known teaching hospital for over 6yrs as a pharm tech, prior to this job CVS tech for 3yrs.
f.Date of pharmcas submission:
Late July early august
g.LORs and the source of LORs
4 One from a professor, 1 from assistant director of the hospital, 1 from a pharmacy coordinator/ supervisor and lastly a pharmacist who I work closely with.
h.Non pharmacy work and volunteer experience:
Volunteer at a hypertension clinic
Anti-coag clinic
Cpht for over 8yrs.
CPR certified
I. Self perception of interview skills
I'm always nervous so I smile and talk a lot
J. I hate writing, so I haven't started yet.

2014 Fall admission
Applying to every school in the ****ing Florida
Overall GPA 3.5 in Biomedical science. Got a C in Mirco-biology and physic lab
Pharmacy experience: 5 years CVS pharmacy tech
LOR: 1 from organic teacher, 2 from pharmacists
PCAT: taking it this July, Hopefully to get in 70% tiles

a. Schools you are applying to
Albany College in VT, Husson Univ in ME, New England Univ, Univ of Cinnci, Univ of KY, considering some of the Cali Schools like UCSF, but I don't think my grades would stand the first round of cutting.
b. Overall GPA -
3.25 (Undergrad)
2.88 (Graduate)

c. Math/Science GPA -
3.48 (With only Undergrad classes)

d. GPA in last one or two school years -
3.21 (Got sick my senior year of college and it was a lot higher my first three years. Will explain in my letter of intent.)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
haven't taken it yet
Practice Pearson 92%
July 2013 scores will be reposted

f. Pharmacy experience obtained-
1 year of retail, and currently looking for a hospital position

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
July 2013

Pharmacy Manager
My undergraduate academic advisor who I also did research under and have a fantastic rapport with
My graduate thesis advisor/boss whom I published 4 publications with and is very famous in his field of work, we also get along well

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
2 years as a Graduate Research Scientist
2 years as a Teaching assistant
7 Years of Tutoring Experience for Organic Chem, Gen Chem, and Bio (Paid and Vol)
2 NSF-REU Undergrad Research Jobs, with the first one giving me my first journal publication at the age of 20

Not so worried about this part, I tend to ramble though and need to practice a bit.

STAR questions are helpful
Awful, I hate writing about myself and am having a hard time explaining why I am transitioning from R&D to Pharmacy. I also have a medical condition that gets in the way sometimes showing my lower GPA in Undergrad and Grad school.

What date will the PharmCas application be open? Can we access it now?
9.jpg
Its been open for 3 weeks now.

I'm applying for Early Decision in University of Houston

My stats are:
Cum GPA: 3.21
Science GPA: 3.19
Graduating Fall 2013 with a Biochemistry Degree (Chemistry Minor)

Taking the PCAT in July (might move it to September because I don't feel prepared and I'm trying to shoot for 99%ile.)

Positions held in school:
-Director of Finance ASO (2011-2012)
-Director of Communications ASO (2012-2013)
-Vice President of Finance for my sorority (2013-present)
-Treasurer for Pharmacy club (2013-present)

Jobs:
-Resident Assistant (2011-2012)
-Content Tutor (2012- 2013)
-Tutor for underrepresented minorities (2013-present)
-Student Worker Library (2013- present)

Lots of Volunteer activities.

However, I have just one pharmacy volunteer experience and it was prior to college.

I really hope I get in for early decision.

I'm applying to UMKC. Have you guys taken your PCAT yet? I'm going to be taking it on January 2014. Any tips on how to ace it? I've been studying SAT critical reading by Barron's to help with my reading comprehension and Verbal Ability on the PCAT. Any useful material you guys can suggest? Thank you

Hey, i will be applying to UMKC too, I live in Kansas City. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I am applying to the early decision program at the University of Oklahoma
a)GPA: 3.85
b)PCAT: 94
c)Major: chemistry
d)Classes
Gen Biology:A
Gen Chem 1&2:A
Calculus 1:B
Organic Chem 1&2: A
Microbiology:A
Cell and Molecular Bio:B
Physics:B+
Physical Chem: A
Biochemistry: A
Chemistry Seminar: A
Fall 2013: Analytical chem and human anatomy
Spring 2014: Adv inorganic chemistry, immunology, and physiology
e)Work experience: shadowed two pharmacists for around 30 hour total. also looking to volunteer at pharmacy clinic after my pcat is over.
f)Extracurricular: 6week long research program (paid) on enzyme kinetics with presentations on campus and symposium. university marshal twice. volunteered at local elementary school to help students. currently 4th year as member of Division II football team. Organic chemistry I & II tutor for two semesters. General Chemistry I & II tutor for one semester.
g)Interview: should go well, not really nervous at all.
h)Personal statement: will definitely have other people look over it for errors, but I am a decent writer.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding my application: I have finished quite a lot of my pre-pharmacy prerequisites and my overall GPA is 4.0. My composite PCAT is 76. My subscores for verbal and reading are quite low (below 50%) while my science is decent/high (above 70ish). I have volunteered at a hospital for a while and have done some other activities as well. What are my chances?

I am quite worried when they look at my 4.0 GPA, will they think I go to an easy school (even though mine is a community college in California but I did work hard to keep up my GPA though).

Besides, I am an international student applying for a middle or below ranking pharmacy school.

What are your opinions, please?

1. Graduated 2012 Florida Memorial University Bachelors of Science in Biology
over all GPA: 3.12 been on Honor roll, Deans list throughout with some 3.4-3.7 GPA's in the mix have an excuse for low overall GPA wont disclose personal.
2. National Honor Roll Society
3. National Merit and Scholars Society
4. Beta Kappa Chi Science and Math Society
5. Biology Club
6. Florida Memorial Honors Program (Freshman year)
7. Florida Memorial Honors Council ( sophomore year to senior year)
8. was Volunteering at Harlem Hospital Ambulatory Care 4 months ( not what I wanted to do)
9. currently, Volunteering at Harlem Hospital Out patient Pharmacy( In New York ) - Much better and I love it so I know pharmacy is for me.
10. Applying to SUNY Buffalo, University of the sciences Philadelphia, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, and St. John's University. That's it 4 schools to expensive for me to be applying anywhere else.

Last edited:
In all my practice tests i get about 90% in verbal,biology,and reading comprehension. But in quant and chem, i'm either hitting 60% on the dot or getting about 57% or above. Sooo my "composite" is somewhere at 70%+...i think. When it comes to chem and quant i think it just comes down to answering everything that easy to me,then going back and seeing what points i can rack up, and then just flat out guessing.

Hopefully when it comes time to send out those apps, these schools really do look at the ENTIRE app and not just pcats.

Good luck and Godspeed to us all

I had a question about pharm application for this cycle that I hope someone will answer! If I did 2 years of research at my university would I put that under extracurricular or work experience?? I'm thinking work experience, but I didn't get paid and got units for it.

Last edited:
I had a question about pharm application for this cycle that I hope someone will answer! If I did 2 years of research at my university would I put that under extracurricular or work experience?? I'm thinking work experience, but I didn't get paid and got units for it.
oops sorry wrong thread but if someone could still answer that would be wonderful

If you didn't get paid for it, it falls under extracurricular. I did volunteer research too. Also, on PHARMCAS there's an "Instructions for this section" tab on top. It explains everything.

I am applying to the early decision program at the University of Oklahoma
a)GPA: 3.85
b)PCAT: 94
c)Major: chemistry
d)Classes
Gen Biology:A
Gen Chem 1&2:A
Calculus 1:B
Organic Chem 1&2: A
Microbiology:A
Cell and Molecular Bio:B
Physics:B+
Physical Chem: A
Biochemistry: A
Chemistry Seminar: A
Fall 2013: Analytical chem and human anatomy
Spring 2014: Adv inorganic chemistry, immunology, and physiology
e)Work experience: shadowed two pharmacists for around 30 hour total. also looking to volunteer at pharmacy clinic after my pcat is over.
f)Extracurricular: 6week long research program (paid) on enzyme kinetics with presentations on campus and symposium. university marshal twice. volunteered at local elementary school to help students. currently 4th year as member of Division II football team. Organic chemistry I & II tutor for two semesters. General Chemistry I & II tutor for one semester.
g)Interview: should go well, not really nervous at all
h)Personal statement: will definitely have other people look over it for errors, but I am a decent writer.
I think you are in the wrong section my friend. The Fall 2014 med school admission is in the MD forums :)

If you didn't get paid for it, it falls under extracurricular. I did volunteer research too. Also, on PHARMCAS there's an "Instructions for this section" tab on top. It explains everything.
So say I've been doing research in the same lab for the past 3 years, but half of it has been paid; would I only put the unpaid period under extracirricular, and the paid period under work? I think it would be weird to split it up.

Last edited:
I think you are in the wrong section my friend. The Fall 2014 med school admission is in the MD forums :)

lol I thought this was the thread for pre-pharm students who are applying for admission into pharmacy school for the the fall of 2014?

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if I should re-take the PCAT in September in order to better my chances. My practice PCAT's we're usually always above 85, but on the actual PCAT my preliminary score report was a 76 percentile rank and a 414 scaled score.

Schools intended on applying to: University of Arizona (#1 choice), UC-Denver, UCLA, University of Texas (Austin), University of Washington, Midwestern University (Glendale), University of the sciences in Philadelphia, and UCSF for fun :laugh:

Degree: Physiology BS from University of Arizona
GPA: 3.69
Minor: Mathematics
Notable Extracurricular: published 2 papers as first co-author in Microbiology research, and 1 abstract as first co-author in Neonatology research. I work as a technician in a pharmacy currently, and have volunteered in an hospital out-patient pharmacy.

Worth it to re-take the PCAT in September? Or apply earlier to better my chances of getting accepted?

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if I should re-take the PCAT in September in order to better my chances. My practice PCAT's we're usually always above 85, but on the actual PCAT my preliminary score report was a 76 percentile rank and a 414 scaled score.

Schools intended on applying to: University of Arizona (#1 choice), UC-Denver, UCLA, University of Texas (Austin), University of Washington, Midwestern University (Glendale), University of the sciences in Philadelphia, and UCSF for fun :laugh:

Degree: Physiology BS from University of Arizona
GPA: 3.69
Minor: Mathematics
Notable Extracurricular: published 2 papers as first co-author in Microbiology research, and 1 abstract as first co-author in Neonatology research. I work as a technician in a pharmacy currently, and have volunteered in an hospital out-patient pharmacy.

Worth it to re-take the PCAT in September? Or apply earlier to better my chances of getting accepted?

If I were you I would not retake it.

a. Schools you are applying to - University of Colorado Skaggs SoP

b. Overall GPA - 3.0 (Psych B.A.)

c. Math/Science GPA - 3.80

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.75

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - 94

f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 1 year of retail, 100 hours of volunteering in VA Hospital Pharmacy

g. Date of application submission - August 2013

1. Retail Pharmacist
2. Pre-pharmacy club advisor (biology teacher)
3. Psychology teacher - I was her TA for Psychopharmacology and Research Assistant for a year.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
E.R. volunteer - 50 hours
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant

Acheivements -
Founded Pre-pharmacy club
Provost's Honor Roll 2x
Who's Who
Psi Chi

Need practice. I'm hit or miss on interviews depending on the day.

I'm getting a writing tutor to help me finish it since I don't like talking about myself. Ugh.

Chances? Who knows. I'm only applying to one school, which most people would think is crazy with a 3.0 GPA.

lol I thought this was the thread for pre-pharm students who are applying for admission into pharmacy school for the the fall of 2014?

Lol it is I'm just saying that with stats like yours, you should be applying to med school.

Guitarmacy, I'm applying to CU only also. Looks like you'll have absolutely no problem getting in! Don't worry about your overall gpa since your math/science gpa is excellent, plus your pcat is 94 where advisors say 70+ is competitive. Also, get some writing practice with your tutor because on interview day you will have to write an essay. This essay is more important than the pcat essay. Good luck.

So say I've been doing research in the same lab for the past 3 years, but half of it has been paid; would I only put the unpaid period under extracirricular, and the paid period under work? I think it would be weird to split it up.

Can anyone help me clarify this? Thanks.

Guitarmacy, I'm applying to CU only also. Looks like you'll have absolutely no problem getting in! Don't worry about your overall gpa since your math/science gpa is excellent, plus your pcat is 94 where advisors say 70+ is competitive. Also, get some writing practice with your tutor because on interview day you will have to write an essay. This essay is more important than the pcat essay. Good luck.

Hey miko! Thanks for the confidence boost and kind words. That's cool that we're in the same boat applying to only CU. I just don't see myself going to any other school. Good luck to you as well. I hope to see you in the Fall next year. :)

GPA: 2.95 cum
sGPA- 2.7?
Last 60 hours- 3.7
PCAT- July 18, 2013 (only attempt)
96-comp
99-Bio
93- Quant
91- Reading
81-Chem
78- Verbal
Experience- 5 years CVS (2 as lead tech)
6 months organ transplant specialty pharmacy with Florida Hospital
PTCB certified
Degrees- Health Services Administration -3.86
Molecular & Microbiology (3 classes left 2.75)
E.C.- Over 6 clubs with high ranking positions,
currently full-time dog foster mom for Boston Terrier Rescue of Florida
over 1,000 community service hours

In addition to having to work to support myself I experienced an overwhelming amount of death throughout undergrad.

1st time applying. Applying to all the schools in Florida and Georgia as well as Creighton.

Just hoping my PCAT is enough for schools to inquire about my GPA shortcomings

Good luck everyone!