This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyllama333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.78 GPA and 74 PCAT score, what are my chances of getting into a school? If there is a chance how stellar do my other factors need to be? Constructive replies appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who had similar GPA/PCAT, although I think she had a 2.9. She didn't bother applying to the top tier school in our state. She applied and was interviewed at the mid tier school in our state, but was ultimately rejected because her GPA was too low. She is now attending the lower ranked school in our state.

She had no pharmacy experience and had minimal healthcare volunteering.

Thank you for the reply! Is there a big difference between tiers in schools, or is it similar to how undergrad works, where a degree is a degree?

Thank you for the reply! Is there a big difference between tiers in schools, or is it similar to how undergrad works, where a degree is a degree?

To be honest I have no idea. I've had some pharmacists tell me it doesn't matter at all, some tell me it matters only if you're interested in a residency, and others tell me it always matters.

Majority of the pharmacists I've worked with graduated from either the top or mid tier school in my state, or a top tier school out of state. Maybe one or two, if any, graduated from the lower ranked school. However, the lower ranked school is about 2.5 hours away so thats most likely why.

Do you have any pharmacy experience? If you don't I suggest you get some since it'll help a lot.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it doesn't play a large part, as an employer I would just care about someone having the requirements. I have a little pharmacy experience, I'm currently working on getting some more. I really appreciate your replies!

I hope it doesn't play a large part, as an employer I would just care about someone having the requirements. I have a little pharmacy experience, I'm currently working on getting some more. I really appreciate your replies!

No problem. Even with those stats you might be able to get into a school if you apply broadly enough, however, you shouldn't settle. Going to a better school will only help you. Get more pharmacy experience as well as your tech certification -- start networking. Perhaps retake some courses you got C+ or lower in or take more difficult science courses (junior/senior/grad level) and do well to prove you can handle difficult material.

Good luck!

Just wondering my chances... Science GPA 3.6, Overall 3.39, PCAT...41% (I took it without O-CHEM, Bio, Physiology or Calc.), 18 years of pharmacy tech experience. I know the PCAT is really bad & I will probably retake after this semester of O-CHEM, BIO & PHYSIOLOGY. Does it hurt your chances to take the PCAT twice?

Just wondering my chances... Science GPA 3.6, Overall 3.39, PCAT...41% (I took it without O-CHEM, Bio, Physiology or Calc.), 18 years of pharmacy tech experience. I know the PCAT is really bad & I will probably retake after this semester of O-CHEM, BIO & PHYSIOLOGY. Does it hurt your chances to take the PCAT twice?

No I am taking it a second time. You have 18 years pharmacy tech exp. That is super nice