Fall 2012 MPH Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to the Env. Health MPH programs at UNC, UMich, Berkeley, UCLA, and BU.

These are my stats:
Undergrad: 3.56 (biological sciences)
GRE: 690Q, 630V
Work exp: 2.5 yrs of undergraduate research
Vol exp: 1 year with campus org. + summer fellowship abroad

How are my chances looking? Also, would my experiences be enough if I wanted to apply to JHU or Harvard?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an informational session with the School of Public Health at UCLA a few months ago and the guy leading the session flat-out told us that they don't care about your GRE score and the only reason they require it is because the UC system requires that they do.
So wait the GRE doesn't count? Then why do they list the minimum scores? Also what exactly does count then? (obvi UCLA is my 1st choice) and where did you get this information?

So wait the GRE doesn't count? Then why do they list the minimum scores? Also what exactly does count then? (obvi UCLA is my 1st choice) and where did you get this information?

GRE scores may also function as gauges for merit-based scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Glad to joing this forum!

I have a bachelors in physiology.
My cGPA is 2.8 (didn't study in freshman year..) ,
but GPA for the last 2 years (senior) is 3.4.
I am also taking a few extra undergrad courses in public health this term to boost my GPA and show that I can do well.

GRE: 800 Q and 450 V. (planning to write it again soon for a higher V)

No work experiences, but have some volunteer experiences in hospital, NGOs, as well as an overseas volunteer experience in a developing country.

I am counting on to get a GREAAAT LORs and SOP.:xf:

What also worries me is that I am a Canadian student and may not get into any instate schools..
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to update the transcript status and GPA status?:confused:

my transcript was mailed out last friday.

does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to update the transcript status and GPA status?:confused:

my transcript was mailed out last friday.

I posed this same question while speaking with a SOPHAS rep on Monday. He informed me that currently once your account shows that the transcripts have been received, expect it to take 10 or so days for the GPA status to be updated. As a side-note, he made sure to put out a disclaimer stating that it could take as long as four-weeks. So, I guess we shall wait and see...:xf:

Hello Friends,
I am new member, I need your help.

All the schools at the Idealist grad fairs make it clear that GRE is considered alongside the rest of your application, I wouldn't discount it just because one school looks on it skeptically. Not sure where that admissions officer is coming from, but I have yet to hear a single rep say that the GRE is either the be-all-end-all or (on the flipside) totally unnecessary. It's always stressed as one part of the holistic review process.

I think it's been written before, but it's worth saying again: a phenomenal score won't help as much as one would hope but it's nice to have, and a subpar score usually won't discount you from the application as long as you demonstrate strength elsewhere. It's not number-driven like law or med school, it really is based on applicant potential.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

So here comes another nervous and overwhelmed international MPH applicant for Fall 2012. My stats are:

Major: Bio Sciences (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
GPA: 4.2/5.0
Toefl: 106
GRE: V 580-680; Q: 750-800; W: unknown (my final score will be reported in Nov)
Experience: 1.5 years doing Epi research
Publication: 2 poster presentation to 1 local and 1 international conference
Volunteer experience: 1 year doing operation & fund raising to secure funding for poor kids in Vietnam + 2 several-day field trips
LoR: 1 strong and 2 unsure

Can anyone gauge my chance to get admission to top 10 such as UNC, UW, UMichigan, UMinesota?

My biggest obstacle is nevertheless funding. 10 out of 10 MPH, DrPH, PHD students told me to forget about funding for MPH (merit-based, TA, RA)... Anybody can give some advice?

My GPA is 4.2 but my major is actually lower. I am wondering if my GPA would be lower after being evaluated by WES. Has anybody had experience with WES before?

Thankss guys

Hi guys,

So here comes another nervous and overwhelmed international MPH applicant for Fall 2012. My stats are:

Major: Bio Sciences (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
GPA: 4.2/5.0
Toefl: 106
GRE: V 580-680; Q: 750-800; W: unknown (my final score will be reported in Nov)
Experience: 1.5 years doing Epi research
Publication: 2 poster presentation to 1 local and 1 international conference
Volunteer experience: 1 year doing operation & fund raising to secure funding for poor kids in Vietnam + 2 several-day field trips
LoR: 1 strong and 2 unsure

Can anyone gauge my chance to get admission to top 10 such as UNC, UW, UMichigan, UMinesota?

My biggest obstacle is nevertheless funding. 10 out of 10 MPH, DrPH, PHD students told me to forget about funding for MPH (merit-based, TA, RA)... Anybody can give some advice?

My GPA is 4.2 but my major is actually lower. I am wondering if my GPA would be lower after being evaluated by WES. Has anybody had experience with WES before?

Thankss guys

you have excellent stats as expected from your good school. even americans are gonna find it very difficult to receive funding.

can you try to check out funding from the singaporean govt?

Last edited:
hi...im done with my gre..
score-1200+
have to start applying for MPH fall 2012...but im really confused wid the us schools i should apply to and the program to which i should apply to..epidem,stats,env health,international health?????
im a dentist and wud like to go for dds in the near future...
any suggestions please...

My transcripts were sent to SOPHAS almost two weeks ago and they still have not updated the status. Should I be worried or is this the part that can take "four weeks"

My transcripts were sent to SOPHAS almost two weeks ago and they still have not updated the status. Should I be worried or is this the part that can take "four weeks"

I had my transcripts sent out September 15th and as of this morning it is showing that my transcripts have been received. No update has been made to my GPA calculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have excellent stats as expected from your good school. even americans are gonna find it very difficult to receive funding.

can you try to check out funding from the singaporean govt?

Thanks Veggie Monster,

I'm not Singaporean though :D. I'm Vietnamese, and there are scholarship opportunities for Vietnamese, but they must come back Vietnam. My hubby is gonna work overseas (US or Europe) and we don't want to be far apart :)

Perhaps graduate assistantship is something I can work on...there is a slim chance that MPH can secure one...

Hello Guys,
I wanna commend y'all for the good works. It's really not easy filling these applications.
I'm no way near half in filling the forms even as I hope to submit by 1st week of November.
I'm applying to UNC, JHSPH, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Mailman and Emory
GRE:1230
As for transcripts, WES is really wasting my time. Its even killing my spirit.
I wish you all the best and hope to hear good news from you all sooner.

Headstrong: I see you! Thumbs up

Hello Guys,
I wanna commend y'all for the good works. It's really not easy filling these applications.
I'm no way near half in filling the forms even as I hope to submit by 1st week of November.

Hi DrRayden,

Same here, I don't even have my SOP, CV, ref letters ready. I hope I can submit my documents by 3rd November... Thumbs up!

Hi DrRayden,

Same here, I don't even have my SOP, CV, ref letters ready. I hope I can submit my documents by 3rd November... Thumbs up!

I'm going for first week of november too! :) go team

im a dental student..done wid gre..score 1300...
still short listing the schools for mph..pretty confused wid it..plzz suggest me the schools and alongwith that which branch should i apply for..epidemiology,statistics,masters in dental health,international health...????
thanx

Hello Guys,

hahaha.. thanks! All the best. :thumbup:

Hello,
I am a current undergraduate student applying in this cycle for Masters programs. I am an international student but studied at a US undergrad. My Stats:
Major: Anthropology and Chemistry
MCAT: 34M (thinking of taking the GRE but haven't decided as yet)
GPA: 3.63
Research: Data collection at the blood bank in my home country (helped write up the results for a paper which may be published), currently doing public health/anthropology honors thesis research about refugee women and access to healthcare.
Other Stuff: couple summer jobs in the healthcare field, lots of volunteering (both medical and non medical; some dealing with MCH and refugees), study abroad, other random clubs and activities.

Schools and Programs:
Emory- Global Health (1st Choice), BSHE (2nd choice)
GW- MCH & GH cert.
U Pitt- MCH track in Behavioral and Community Health Sciences & GH cert.
BU- International health: Sex, gender and Sexuality track/ MCH: unsure which track.
JHU- International Health: Social and Behavioral Intervention track & MCH cert.
Yale- Behavioral and Social Sciences (in Chronic Disease Epi) & GH track

Do you think I am a competitive applicant? My main concern about my application is my lack of post graduate experience and international public health experience. I live in a foreign country and all my summer jobs in healthcare have been outside of the US, but I am not sure if this counts since it is my home country. Also, I do not have a professional LOR. All my letters will most likely come from academic professors.

Thanks. Sorry for the long post.

Hey there,

I'm finding the application process through SOPHAS rather daunting. I just took the GRE last week and I didn't do as well as I would have liked and am preparing to take it again late December or early January, as soon as my 60 days passes. I believe that all the programs I am wanting to apply for have deadlines early Spring of 2012. I guess I'm worried that my new scores won't be sent to the schools soon enough. Should I be concerned? Apparently, the application process for SOPHAS takes about 4 weeks and then the process for the specific is quite long, right? I assume I should already be asking professors and others for recommendation letters and also request official transcripts from my schools? Oh, by the way, I haven't yet submitted the applications to my schools or through SOPHAS because I want to apply to at least 6 schools but I only have 4 in mind. I guess I should hurry. Ugh, I feel so behind compared to all of you! :*(

By the way, I graduated with my BS in Health Education & Promotion in May 2010 and have taken a couple years off to take a break from school. I'm looking to study Health Education & Behavior or Community Health. Unfortunately, I haven't gained a lot of experience. I did do an independent research study with one of my professors for one semester, but other than that, I don't have any other relevant experience. I intended on volunteering, but honestly, that hasn't happened (my fault). I also tried to develop a small stress program for my work, but that was extremely challenging and unsuccessful. I understand that MPH programs are wanting students that have experience. Is it too late for me to start volunteering now? I just feel that my chances of getting accepted are miniscule because of this. Also, is there anyone else that is looking in to these fields for MPH? I understand this is a student doctor forum, but I just thought I would ask.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or words of comfort =P I would greatly appreciate it.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or words of comfort =P I would greatly appreciate it.

First off. Never sell yourself short. You will never know what could have or should have been without applying. By the way, it seems you have the perfect undergraduate degree for your the specific Masters program you are applying to. +1

Secondly. Work through the application cycle with a sense of urgency, but do not freak out. You have more than enough time to meet the December Scholarship deadlines if you so choose, later deadlines if finances is not an issue. Just be proactive about it. It is much easier to break everything down into specific tasks, rather than chunking all together.

How about create a schedule for yourself. Within the next few days, focus on requesting Official Transcripts from your college to SOPHAS/Individual schools and reaching out to professors/bosses for letters.

By the end of the week, start your SOP. Get something down on paper, no matter how discouraging or difficult it may seem. The more time to revise, the better.

Next week, you can maybe input your credits into SOPHAS (takes 30 minutes). And begin the work experience/volunteer section. Or do whatever you would like, but it is important to start somewhere.

In terms of volunteering, never too late to start. If you are truly interested in gaining experience and fostering a relationship with a community organization or non-profit or whatever, do it. It will show that you acknowledge the need for you to expand your services. And remember, you could potentially have more than 8 months of volunteering before you enroll to apply to school if you started today!

Hang in there. Work at your own pace. But try and do a piece of the puzzle every other day at least. Good luck on the GRE if you retake and stay positive!!!!!

Ah, thank you so much for your post, healthdisparity! Your suggestions of setting up a schedule is a great idea, and I think I will very much follow it closely and tune it wherever I feel necessary, but an excellent buttress for me. It is so easy for me to get a little overwhelmed with no sense of organization. I truly appreciate your feedback.

I do have a question about the SOPHAS, which I'm sure I need to do a little bit more research to be sure of this. If I'm applying to 4 different MPH programs through SOPHAS, do I need to ask my undergrad university to send SOPHAS 4 official transcripts for the schools?

Similar question but regarding recommendation letters, when I ask previous professors or advisors to write a recommendation letter, do I ask them to write one and make copies of it for the different schools I'm applying for?

I'm wanting to apply to UNC, but their website does not specify to apply through SOPHAS like many other websites I have checked out. I suppose I should apply to UNC through SOPHAS anyway, just to be safe?

I'm really trying to avoid loans as much as possible considering I already have a good amount of loans to pay back for my undergrad. Is there any way I can improve my chances of getting some sort of assistantship or scholarship besides just having good scores and etc?

I apologize if i'm asking questions from previous threads, but this forum is HUGE?! Haha.

Ah, thank you so much for your post, healthdisparity! Your suggestions of setting up a schedule is a great idea, and I think I will very much follow it closely and tune it wherever I feel necessary, but an excellent buttress for me. It is so easy for me to get a little overwhelmed with no sense of organization. I truly appreciate your feedback.

I do have a question about the SOPHAS, which I'm sure I need to do a little bit more research to be sure of this. If I'm applying to 4 different MPH programs through SOPHAS, do I need to ask my undergrad university to send SOPHAS 4 official transcripts for the schools?

Similar question but regarding recommendation letters, when I ask previous professors or advisors to write a recommendation letter, do I ask them to write one and make copies of it for the different schools I'm applying for?

I'm wanting to apply to UNC, but their website does not specify to apply through SOPHAS like many other websites I have checked out. I suppose I should apply to UNC through SOPHAS anyway, just to be safe?

I'm really trying to avoid loans as much as possible considering I already have a good amount of loans to pay back for my undergrad. Is there any way I can improve my chances of getting some sort of assistantship or scholarship besides just having good scores and etc?

I apologize if i'm asking questions from previous threads, but this forum is HUGE?! Haha.

you only need to send one transcript to SOPHAS.

First off. Never sell yourself short. You will never know what could have or should have been without applying. By the way, it seems you have the perfect undergraduate degree for your the specific Masters program you are applying to. +1

Secondly. Work through the application cycle with a sense of urgency, but do not freak out. You have more than enough time to meet the December Scholarship deadlines if you so choose, later deadlines if finances is not an issue. Just be proactive about it. It is much easier to break everything down into specific tasks, rather than chunking all together.

How about create a schedule for yourself. Within the next few days, focus on requesting Official Transcripts from your college to SOPHAS/Individual schools and reaching out to professors/bosses for letters.

By the end of the week, start your SOP. Get something down on paper, no matter how discouraging or difficult it may seem. The more time to revise, the better.

Next week, you can maybe input your credits into SOPHAS (takes 30 minutes). And begin the work experience/volunteer section. Or do whatever you would like, but it is important to start somewhere.

In terms of volunteering, never too late to start. If you are truly interested in gaining experience and fostering a relationship with a community organization or non-profit or whatever, do it. It will show that you acknowledge the need for you to expand your services. And remember, you could potentially have more than 8 months of volunteering before you enroll to apply to school if you started today!

Hang in there. Work at your own pace. But try and do a piece of the puzzle every other day at least. Good luck on the GRE if you retake and stay positive!!!!!

Just so nice to hear these healthy tips! I just got freak off and tiring about the application process (the fact that I apply to both UK, Europe, and US does add more confusion to my already overwhelmed plate). Thanks for the tips. I think I should stay calm and cool.

I applied to Brown and Columbia last year, got into both, but declined admission. (I have a much better idea what I want to do with public health now, and I'm applying to only a few mph programs should I not get into med school this round...Either way, I ultimately want to do both an MD and an mph, so I hardly consider this a backup option.) I'll be applying to Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, and any other program that do not require me to do SOPHAS (after AMCAS in august...yeah, no SOPHAS for me). Know of any other schools that don't go through SOPHAS (besides the four aforementioned schools)? (My hw assignment for tonight maybe ha).

Best of luck to all applicants! I hope everyone gets into the program that they want to go to...and with friendly financial aid!

Last edited:
I applied to Brown and Columbia last year, got into both, but declined admission. (I have a much better idea what I want to do with public health now, and I'm applying to only a few mph programs should I not get into med school this round...Either way, I ultimately want to do both an MD and an mph, so I hardly consider this a backup option.) I'll be applying to Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, and any other program that do not require me to do SOPHAS (after AMCAS in august...yeah, no SOPHAS for me). Know of any other schools that don't go through SOPHAS (besides the four aforementioned schools)? (My hw assignment for tonight maybe ha).

Best of luck to all applicants! I hope everyone gets into the program that they want to go to...and with friendly financial aid!

What are your thoughts on Brown?

What are your thoughts on Brown?

It seems like a great program, and everyone was super kind during the admissions process. They also give out scholarships. I got one for 25% tuition. I liked it because it's a general program -- no real division into concentrations -- but by the time April came (decision time), I decided I wanted a more focused mph. I hear that they have a great placement into the work force and grad / professional school. And....no SOPHAS!!!!

Any thoughts on Dartmouth's MPH?

if you have an interest in research, dartmouth's MPH program looks decent. personally, i wouldn't apply since my professional goal is to be a hospital administrator and the program wouldn't prepare me for this role. also, if i were to apply for the mph degree at dartmouth, i would make sure that that is not my terminal degree... :eek: what can you do with your degree from a 1 - year program? :confused:

if in doubt, enter med school!

if you have an interest in research, dartmouth's MPH program looks decent. personally, i wouldn't apply since my professional goal is to be a hospital administrator and the program wouldn't prepare me for this role. also, if i were to apply for the mph degree at dartmouth, i would make sure that that is not my terminal degree... :eek: what can you do with your degree from a 1 - year program? :confused:

if in doubt, enter med school!

JHU is one year, too...right?

It seems like a great program, and everyone was super kind during the admissions process. They also give out scholarships. I got one for 25% tuition. I liked it because it's a general program -- no real division into concentrations -- but by the time April came (decision time), I decided I wanted a more focused mph. I hear that they have a great placement into the work force and grad / professional school. And....no SOPHAS!!!!

Awesome! I haven't been able to find much info on the program at all! Thanks for the info!

I'll give the admissions department a call tomorrow and see what I can dig up. I have been wondering the same thing for the last couple of weeks. I'll post what I find tomorrow evening.

I'll give the admissions department a call tomorrow and see what I can dig up. I have been wondering the same thing for the last couple of weeks. I'll post what I find tomorrow evening.

yeah, go TEAM! :highfive:

JHU's MPH programs are 1yr long. The MSPH and MHA programs are 2yrs.

Dear all,

A rushing applicant needs your advice what to write in a SOP

I think there are two types of SOP. The first type talks about personal experiences/stories (whom we met, what we saw) that shaped our passion on public health. It is deep and sentimental and can well reveal who we are.

The 2nd type talks about our research projects/knowledge/ experiences; the aim is to "sell" our knowledge, skills, fluency in public health.

Which one do you think is better? Is the first type meant for master program and 2nd for doctorate ones?

Thanks a lot guys !!!

I was just going to ask that. Does anyone know when that application is going to open?

yeah, go TEAM! :highfive:

In the SOPHAS application thread, a member stated that Columbia should be up sometime this week.

Dear all,

A rushing applicant needs your advice what to write in a SOP

I think there are two types of SOP. (...)

This has been covered before, but short answer: both. The admissions committee is looking to know the following:

(1) Why you want to go into public health; your personal motivation.
(2) Your past work, volunteer, and education experiences that have prepared you to study/practice public health. What relevant hard/soft skills you gained from them, what you learned from those experiences in general, and how they may have motivated your interest in public health in (1).
(3) Your topic/field of interest in research or public health practice, and your career objectives, potentially motivated by your personal motivation in (1) or your past experiences in (2).
(4) Why you want to attend the specific program and specific school to which you are applying, and how it would help you achieve your objectives in (3).

The ideal SOP will weave these together like a story, where admission to the MPH/PhD program is the obvious logical next step.

This has been covered before, but short answer: both. The admissions committee is looking to know the following:

(1) Why you want to go into public health; your personal motivation.
(2) Your past work, volunteer, and education experiences that have prepared you to study/practice public health. What relevant hard/soft skills you gained from them, what you learned from those experiences in general, and how they may have motivated your interest in public health in (1).
(3) Your topic/field of interest in research or public health practice, and your career objectives, potentially motivated by your personal motivation in (1) or your past experiences in (2).
(4) Why you want to attend the specific program and specific school to which you are applying, and how it would help you achieve your objectives in (3).

The ideal SOP will weave these together like a story, where admission to the MPH/PhD program is the obvious logical next step.

Short, sweet, and concise, and definitely very helpful answer. Thanks. I will make sure my SOP has all of these elements.

But must a 500-word SOP answer all 4 questions too? I am really struggling to write a 500-word SOP for SOPHA T_T

Thanks!

In the SOPHAS application thread, a member stated that Columbia should be up sometime this week.

I called and spoke with someone in admissions and they said the same thing as stated in the other thread. They are planning on having it up sometime this week, and at the latest next week.

I called and spoke with someone in admissions and they said the same thing as stated in the other thread. They are planning on having it up sometime this week, and at the latest next week.

It was actually up yesterday, but removed later. I'm assuming it was a mistake on the SOPHAS team. I'm becoming impatient! :shrug:

1 transcript and 1 of each LOR to SOPHAS. SOPHAS will contact the recommenders after you submit their information, there will be no copying needed. Non-SOPHAS schools will need separate transcripts and LORs sent (except UNC- you need to scan your transcript and upload it in the application), and again most will contact the people writing the recommendations after you give SOPHAS their information. You cannot apply to a non-SOPHAS school through SOPHAS, simple as that.

Your chances of getting a scholarship depend on what the scholarship is based on. If its a merit-based scholarship, more volunteer hours won't matter. If its a community service based scholarship, your GPA and scores may or may not matter. And so on...

Hello All,

Ok so here is a new thread for Fall 2012 MPH applicants and of course I need some encouragement or help.

I am currently a senior at one of the UCs and my dream school is UCLA with SDSU next and Loma Linda last (I obviously would like to stay in California)

My stats:
I am an African-American female (it may make a difference lol)

I did my general education at Rutgers University and had a terrible gpa: 2.750 and I am very bad at math and science but got a B in chemistry and the highest math I have completed is Pre-Calc (and barely passed)

I will have completed my upper division classes at the UC where I attend and my current gpa is 3.82 (I became serious)

I am an Anthro major and my anthro gpa is 3.85 and a psych minor with a gpa of 3.82.

I also plan on taking a bio class and a physical science course to help.

I have lined up 4 different volunteer opportunities doing research for MPH and psychology and working with Autistic children.

Oh and I still have to take the GRE.

I want to join the behavioral sciences side of MPH and do not plan on doing epi or environmental.

Please be honest do I have a shot at UCLA???

Ok took the New GRE yesterday and received a score range of 490-590Q and 550-650V and waiting on AWA. I have no idea how these scores translate!!! But I do hope they are good enough! Do you guys think I still have a shot?

Did anyone else take the new GRE???