Fall 2012 MPH Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulCJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Ok so here is a new thread for Fall 2012 MPH applicants and of course I need some encouragement or help.

I am currently a senior at one of the UCs and my dream school is UCLA with SDSU next and Loma Linda last (I obviously would like to stay in California)

My stats:
I am an African-American female (it may make a difference lol)

I did my general education at Rutgers University and had a terrible gpa: 2.750 and I am very bad at math and science but got a B in chemistry and the highest math I have completed is Pre-Calc (and barely passed)

I will have completed my upper division classes at the UC where I attend and my current gpa is 3.82 (I became serious)

I am an Anthro major and my anthro gpa is 3.85 and a psych minor with a gpa of 3.82.

I also plan on taking a bio class and a physical science course to help.

I have lined up 4 different volunteer opportunities doing research for MPH and psychology and working with Autistic children.

Oh and I still have to take the GRE.

I want to join the behavioral sciences side of MPH and do not plan on doing epi or environmental.

Please be honest do I have a shot at UCLA???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about UCLA but the GRE is such a big part of the application that it's hard to accurately weigh your chances of acceptance to any school without that piece of information. Many times people make up for their slightly lower GPA with outstanding GRE scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
u've got a pretty decent resume.. work really hard for ur gre.. write a solid sop.. no reason why u shdn get in :)
I have a 1390 in my gre (770 quant 620 verbal 3.5 aw) n 3.6 as gpa. I am a doctor by profession with work experience of one year. I have 3 LORs from three professors I've done research under. i want to get into an ms in epidemology of aging from harvard/ hopkins/ stanford or an ms in gerontology from usc. also applying for mph from ut houston, uab n tulane. chances???

I think your chances are good too, as long as your GRE is decent :) Do have any experience ? I have also heard from a lot of people that the SOP is huge so make sure to do a good job on that as well :)

Quick question fo all you folk out there: How much does the Peace Corps really help my application ? A lot, minimal ? MY GPA is strong (from UCLA) and my GRE is average, I am kinda curious about if the fact that I did peace corps will help me ..... thoughts ??

I wanan go to Tulane or BU ... thanks

Yay I'm fall 2012 too!!! I'm still trying to narrow down what schools I want to apply to. When are you taking the GRE? I was planning on Oct. I hope thats not to late for anything. I hate it takes forever to process.

I'm sure you'll get in! :)

I think your chances are good too, as long as your GRE is decent :) Do have any experience ? I have also heard from a lot of people that the SOP is huge so make sure to do a good job on that as well :)

Quick question fo all you folk out there: How much does the Peace Corps really help my application ? A lot, minimal ? MY GPA is strong (from UCLA) and my GRE is average, I am kinda curious about if the fact that I did peace corps will help me ..... thoughts ??

I wanan go to Tulane or BU ... thanks

Hi,
I think the PC will help you at both Tulane and BU. Either way, it isn't going to hurt you regardless of what sector you were in. I was accepted to all 3 schools I applied to (one being Tulane) despite a mediocre GRE score. I did have work experience as well but not in public health. I would suggest calling and visiting both places before applying though to make sure it is what you want.
Jaya

Hello Guyz,
Glad to join this fourm. I am also applying for MPH in fall 2012.
here are my stats
GRE: 1230 (660Q, 570V 4AWA)
TOEFL: Awaiting
GPA: awaiting evaluation by WES
I am currently a member of the Board of Director of an international organization working in the US.
I will be applying to JHSPH,RSPH, UNC-SPH, BUSPH

Please what are my chances of getting admission and even a scholarship

Holla

Hey everyone. I will be applying for Fall 2012 MPH in Health Policy & Management

Stats:
GPA Undergrad: 3.4 (3.8 in major)
GRE: 600 Verbal, 700 Quant, 4.5 Writing

Looking at applying to UMich, UMinn, Columbia, Hunter College, SUNY Downstate, Yale, BU

Not much public health experience, but I am working at a hospital in HR and helping develop an employee wellness program.

Any thoughts?

hi all!

entering second year mph student at columbia in epi here. i was in your shoes 2 years ago and i remember the process pretty well and how much of a black hole the process can be. feel free to PM me with questions and i'll do my best to help out! good luck!

I'm applying this year as well! Still trying to decide between Epi and Health policy and management. Thanks for your offer citrusguy!

Same here! I've been lurking on these threads for a while now and finally decided to register. Epi and HPM as well!

Same here! I've been lurking on these threads for a while now and finally decided to register. Epi and HPM as well!

cool, we are pretty much in the same boat then! Any closer to making a decision? I think I am leaning towards HPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying for Fall of 2012 MPH in Health Policy & Management as well.

Stats:
GPA: Undergrad 3.72 (pending summer qtr grades) Health Administration (entering as a sr)
GRE: Scheduled to take first week of November
Experience: I have one quarter in health policy research for a large health system, and one quarter in health policy research and advocacy for a non-profit org. I also served five-years in the United States Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (similar to a Army Medic).

Applying to UMich, Columbia, Yale, JHU, Drexel, Texas A&M, and BU

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
v. inexperienced (in this race) still very hopeful... I worked in military as medical doctor for 14years, I am now immigrating to US... my next aim is to be a health executive... through either MPH or MBA or Masters... planning to take GRE in late Nov to early Dec 11, for admissions in fall 2012... and shall be applying at NYU, Columbia and Baruch...I seek expert opinion of worthy seniors (in this race/field)...
1. Whats the latest date that I can take GRE for fall 2012?
2. LORs from my (3rd world) home country, are they worth some?
3.What I should be I be doing in the intervening period, which might be helpful in my future?
regards

cool, we are pretty much in the same boat then! Any closer to making a decision? I think I am leaning towards HPM.

Ah there go the similarities; leaning the opposite way towards Epi. Does anyone know if schools will allow for multiple applications to the same school in different departments (e.g. Epi and HPM)? Columbia said no during an info session, maybe it's just SOPHAS?

Ah there go the similarities; leaning the opposite way towards Epi. Does anyone know if schools will allow for multiple applications to the same school in different departments (e.g. Epi and HPM)? Columbia said no during an info session, maybe it's just SOPHAS?

I should have known, your username gives it away slightly!:laugh: I'm not sure if you can send in multiple applications but i'm sure someone else around here will.

Hey Guys!

I applied for Fall 2011 and some of the schools do allow you to apply to different MPH concentrations. When you submit your app on SOPHAS, the ones that allow multiple concentrations will be indicated in their individual section. Also, school's websites and SOPHAS itself should tell you which schools allow this. It doesn't cost any extra. Of the 6 schools I applied to, Columbia, Emory, and Yale allowed multiple choices. I don't remember if the others I applied to did or not. Feel free to ask me any questions. I start my program next week. :)

I applied for Fall 2011 and some of the schools do allow you to apply to different MPH concentrations. When you submit your app on SOPHAS, the ones that allow multiple concentrations will be indicated in their individual section. Also, school's websites and SOPHAS itself should tell you which schools allow this. It doesn't cost any extra. Of the 6 schools I applied to, Columbia, Emory, and Yale allowed multiple choices. I don't remember if the others I applied to did or not. Feel free to ask me any questions. I start my program next week. Please where did you choose to study. what are the secrets espe getting a scholarship

I applied for Fall 2011 and some of the schools do allow you to apply to different MPH concentrations. When you submit your app on SOPHAS, the ones that allow multiple concentrations will be indicated in their individual section. Also, school's websites and SOPHAS itself should tell you which schools allow this. It doesn't cost any extra. Of the 6 schools I applied to, Columbia, Emory, and Yale allowed multiple choices. I don't remember if the others I applied to did or not. Feel free to ask me any questions. I start my program next week. Please where did you choose to study. what are the secrets espe getting a scholarship
Hi epi2013
Where did u join finally? I'm also applying to epi (in aging/ neuroepi) at yale (cde), harvard, hopkins, UMich. What are ur scores n stats?

Hey Guys!

I applied for Fall 2011 and some of the schools do allow you to apply to different MPH concentrations. When you submit your app on SOPHAS, the ones that allow multiple concentrations will be indicated in their individual section. Also, school's websites and SOPHAS itself should tell you which schools allow this. It doesn't cost any extra. Of the 6 schools I applied to, Columbia, Emory, and Yale allowed multiple choices. I don't remember if the others I applied to did or not. Feel free to ask me any questions. I start my program next week. :)

Ah should've applied one year earlier! One of the admissions reps at the Columbia info session mentioned they weren't allowing that anymore. Thanks and good luck on your program!

I'm starting at Tulane. My stats can be found in the Accepted Student thread for 2011, but basically.... GRE:1220 GPA: 3.33 (changed majors late in the game) lots of volunteer work and only 1 year of work experience (thus making me ineligible for Hopkins, UNC, Harvard, etc.)

Hi there,
I'm going to apply too. I'm an international medical graduate, I will apply for the 1-year program at Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Berkeley in the concentration of Health Policy and Management. Does anybody know about these program? Which is the best one?
I'm also interested in quantitative methods at Harvard, it is a lot about statistics but is not entirely biostatistics... has anyone experience of this program?
thanks a lot to everybody, good luck and wish to see you in fall 2012

I went to an informational session with the School of Public Health at UCLA a few months ago and the guy leading the session flat-out told us that they don't care about your GRE score and the only reason they require it is because the UC system requires that they do.

Hi there,

I applied to 7 schools for MPH or MS in Epidemiology, with a concentration in Maternal Child Health (where applicable) for the 2011 application cycle. I applied to Harvard, UW, Hopkins, Berkeley, Emory, Columbia, and UBC (Canada). I was accepted to 5 - all except Berkeley and JHU. After a tough decision between Harvard and UW, I opted for Harvard.

My stats are: 3.7 GPA, 1440/5.5 GRE, 3 years of experience in an academic research environment, a small number of publications & academic presentations.

After making my school decision, I decided to defer for personal and professional reasons. Thus, I will be starting at Harvard in 2012 (and will be in the cohort applying now)

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application process, give recommendations, or provide info about the programs I looked into. Just let me know!

Hi there,

I applied to 7 schools for MPH or MS in Epidemiology, with a concentration in Maternal Child Health (where applicable) for the 2011 application cycle. I applied to Harvard, UW, Hopkins, Berkeley, Emory, Columbia, and UBC (Canada). I was accepted to 5 - all except Berkeley and JHU. After a tough decision between Harvard and UW, I opted for Harvard.

My stats are: 3.7 GPA, 1440/5.5 GRE, 3 years of experience in an academic research environment, a small number of publications & academic presentations.

After making my school decision, I decided to defer for personal and professional reasons. Thus, I will be starting at Harvard in 2012 (and will be in the cohort applying now)

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application process, give recommendations, or provide info about the programs I looked into. Just let me know!

Goodness, you have terrific stats! COngratulations. If you don't mind me asking, why you think you were not admitted at Berkeley? "cause I'm interested in that school and I was just wondering... you were admitted to Harvard, Columbia.. how comes?
Thanks

Hi there,

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application process, give recommendations, or provide info about the programs I looked into. Just let me know![/QU

Hi Ibypass,

Thanks! Honestly, I had a bit of a strange situation with my Berkeley app. I received this rejection first - I think in January or early Feb. I emailed the admissions office to ask for an explanation, if possible. She told me that my application was incomplete (without transcripts), which it wasn't. After a few email exchanges, she found my transcripts and apologized for the mix-up, then explained that they had already met their quota and that my application could not be reconsidered. It was quite a disappointing process, but I decided that more angst was not worth it. I had already been accepted to UW by the time they admitted their error, which was higher on my list...

I was waitlisted at JHU and received my rejection VERY late, in July!
No details given or requested...

So, who knows! i think my assumption is that there are lots of applicants with great stats, so getting into top schools involves 'fit' and chance...

Best of luck!

let me know if you'd like any other input!

Goodness, you have terrific stats! COngratulations. If you don't mind me asking, why you think you were not admitted at Berkeley? "cause I'm interested in that school and I was just wondering... you were admitted to Harvard, Columbia.. how comes?
Thanks

Hi PeriEpi2011,
thanks for your reply. It's actually quite a shame what they did at Berkely with your transcripts and so on... anyway, Harvard is on top of my list; I will apply for Health Management (I'm a surgeon interested in management) at Yale, Columbia and Berkeley; but at Harvard I'm frankly undecided still between Quantitative Methods or HMP... form inside, what would you suggest?
thanks a lot, your opinion would be very appreciated

Hi Ibypass,

Thanks! Honestly, I had a bit of a strange situation with my Berkeley app. I received this rejection first - I think in January or early Feb. I emailed the admissions office to ask for an explanation, if possible. She told me that my application was incomplete (without transcripts), which it wasn't. After a few email exchanges, she found my transcripts and apologized for the mix-up, then explained that they had already met their quota and that my application could not be reconsidered. It was quite a disappointing process, but I decided that more angst was not worth it. I had already been accepted to UW by the time they admitted their error, which was higher on my list...

I was waitlisted at JHU and received my rejection VERY late, in July!
No details given or requested...

So, who knows! i think my assumption is that there are lots of applicants with great stats, so getting into top schools involves 'fit' and chance...

Best of luck!

let me know if you'd like any other input!

Hi there,

I think HSPH is a great choice. I was very impressed by the admitted student day, and find the environment to be very stimulating overall.

Regarding your question, I'm not quite sure. I am not a clinician, so I'm in the academic only track - the 2 year SM in Epidemiology program. In broad terms, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the degree. If 'management' is precisely what you want, I would think that the HMP would be your best bet. The QM program seems a bit more research focused - maybe research or policy through large dataset analysis.

Also, I find that the harvard admissions staff is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. They may direct you to someone there who knows both programs intimately and can direct you more specifically.

Best of luck with your applications!

Hi PeriEpi2011,
thanks for your reply. It's actually quite a shame what they did at Berkely with your transcripts and so on... anyway, Harvard is on top of my list; I will apply for Health Management (I'm a surgeon interested in management) at Yale, Columbia and Berkeley; but at Harvard I'm frankly undecided still between Quantitative Methods or HMP... form inside, what would you suggest?
thanks a lot, your opinion would be very appreciated

Hi there,

I think HSPH is a great choice. I was very impressed by the admitted student day, and find the environment to be very stimulating overall.

Regarding your question, I'm not quite sure. I am not a clinician, so I'm in the academic only track - the 2 year SM in Epidemiology program. In broad terms, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the degree. If 'management' is precisely what you want, I would think that the HMP would be your best bet. The QM program seems a bit more research focused - maybe research or policy through large dataset analysis.

Also, I find that the harvard admissions staff is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. They may direct you to someone there who knows both programs intimately and can direct you more specifically.

Best of luck with your applications!

Hey there
you do have amazing credentials. I am a clinician with 1390 as my gre score and a year of volunteer and internship experience. I am the advisor to the preventive wing of a med tourism company. I also have some volunteer experience with the who. I wish to apply for SM in epidemology (SM1) - the 42.5 credit program at harvard (i'm eligible to, right?) and the MPH in Chronic Disease Epi program at Yale.
The SM1 at Harvard is my first priority. Can u please tell me if I am eligible for the 1 year program and if I stand a good chance.
Thanks a lot:thumbup:

Hi headstrong,
Thanks! You certainly sound like a competitive candidate for the SM1. I know that the SM1 program is available only to clinicians, though I'm not exactly sure what the work requirements are. In order to be certain that you are applying to the most appropriate program, I'd recommend touching base with the admissions office.
In addition, for any school/program, making contact with a few professors that you may want to work with is a great idea. I know that my phone & email conversations with faculty at a couple schools helped me get in. Perhaps more importantly, they also helped me decide where I actually wanted to go!

Good luck!

Hey there
you do have amazing credentials. I am a clinician with 1390 as my gre score and a year of volunteer and internship experience. I am the advisor to the preventive wing of a med tourism company. I also have some volunteer experience with the who. I wish to apply for SM in epidemology (SM1) - the 42.5 credit program at harvard (i'm eligible to, right?) and the MPH in Chronic Disease Epi program at Yale.
The SM1 at Harvard is my first priority. Can u please tell me if I am eligible for the 1 year program and if I stand a good chance.
Thanks a lot:thumbup:

hey everyone!

also applying this cycle for MPH programs, Epi mostly.

Stats:
GPA: 3.4 (Molecular Bio from Berkeley)
GRE: 700V, 800Q
2.5 years in epi/health lab
1.5 years in bioeng lab
and some work with physicians/clinics etc

applying to : Berkeley, UCLA, Yale, Columbia and BU

best of luck to you all!

Hi headstrong,
Thanks! You certainly sound like a competitive candidate for the SM1. I know that the SM1 program is available only to clinicians, though I'm not exactly sure what the work requirements are. In order to be certain that you are applying to the most appropriate program, I'd recommend touching base with the admissions office.
In addition, for any school/program, making contact with a few professors that you may want to work with is a great idea. I know that my phone & email conversations with faculty at a couple schools helped me get in. Perhaps more importantly, they also helped me decide where I actually wanted to go!

Good luck!
Coming from someone with such credentials, that is extravagant praise! Thank u. Yes I do intend on contacting certain professors who're doing work I like. I'm a bit concerned about my SOP. I was wondering if it should be different from my SOP for an MPH program? Can u plz guide me on the same? Btw, the sm1 is a 1 year non-thesis 42.5 credits program right? How're u liking epi at harvard?

In general, the SM & MPH SOPs should be very similar. I applied to several MPH programs in Epi at other schools. It seems that the Master's of Science vs. MPH is very school-specific, not always practice vs. academic...
So, I think that the scope and tone of your SOP should be the same as for MPH. That said, you will need to explain why you chose the SM over the MPH. Why is that the right program for you? What will you learn in the SM that is right for your career trajectory?
I think that the SM1 is a non-thesis program, but I didn't really consider the SM1. I know that the SM2 includes a thesis. I haven't actually started the program yet! I deferred and will start in Sept 2012...!

Coming from someone with such credentials, that is extravagant praise! Thank u. Yes I do intend on contacting certain professors who're doing work I like. I'm a bit concerned about my SOP. I was wondering if it should be different from my SOP for an MPH program? Can u plz guide me on the same? Btw, the sm1 is a 1 year non-thesis 42.5 credits program right? How're u liking epi at harvard?

I feel like I was kind of late in the game in deciding I wanted to do an MPH first (before medical school) so I'm not 100% sure what my chances are.

As an AR resident I will probably go ahead and apply to UAMS, but my main goal is to get in at CSPH, mainly Colorado State University, and hopefully do an emphasis in Global Health. If anyone has any specific feedback on CSPH or CSU, I would appreciate that.

My stats are...
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.83
GRE: (taking it next month I think)
Research: will be 2 yrs total undergrad + summer research internship at Arkansas Children's Hospital
Volunteer/Leadership: probably a decent amount

I also have a large amount of hours shadowing physicians because I plan to apply to medical school later, and I suspect to have very good letters of recommendations.

CSPH, feasible?

I'm interested in public health nutrition and/or environmental health programs, something along those lines. I've only recently realized what I want to do career-wise, so I'm just starting to research schools and MPH programs!

Degrees: BS in public health, a BA in international studies, and a minor in bioethics from a top state university.
GPA: 2.91, but my transcript is all over the place due to a lot of personal issues during college. My major GPAs are higher, in the mid 3s.
GRE: 700Q/570V/4
LOR/SOP: Not too worried about these.
Work experience: pretty much 0. I've done some volunteer work.

I have a few questions:
1. Should I retake the GRE? I took them twice already, but didn't study at all for either of them... I'm sure I could get a much higher score if I actually studied.
2. I'm planning on taking some postbac classes this quarter, maybe get some prereqs out of the way, but probably won't have the grades until after I submit my apps. Could I send them later?
3. How important is it to go to a CEPH accredited school?
4. Will my low GPA and lack of work experience drastically hurt my chances?
5. Do you have any recommendations on which schools I should apply to? I am basically interested in health promotion and disease prevention through nutrition.

Thanks!

I'm interested in epidemiology and hoping to eventually apply my degree to nutrition/obesity prevention research. My stats:

BA anthropology, 3.67 GPA, 2009
GRE (from 2008) 770Q 700V 4.5W
Starting my second year as a research assistant, working on a large epi/nutrition study
2 years volunteering at a hospital (just basic discharging/transporting patients)
I changed my career path after graduating college, originally I was planning on going into art history/archaeology

Major weaknesses:
I did not take any math and only very little science (4 chem classes) in college. As post-bacc studies I am taking statistics right now and took 2 intro bio courses last year.
LOR: I asked my bio professor from my post-bacc to write a recommendation for me and he did not respond. This has really brought me down emotionally and I don't have a third letter as of now. I'm just feeling very discouraged in general.

Definitely applying to: U Mich and U Minn (I really want to get out of the North East). I'm still researching schools, I plan on applying to 6-7 total.

Does anybody have any idea of how hard it would be to get into a UC school as an out-of-state applicant?

I'm interested in epidemiology and hoping to eventually apply my degree to nutrition/obesity prevention research. My stats:

BA anthropology, 3.67 GPA, 2009
GRE (from 2008) 770Q 700V 4.5W
Starting my second year as a research assistant, working on a large epi/nutrition study
2 years volunteering at a hospital (just basic discharging/transporting patients)
I changed my career path after graduating college, originally I was planning on going into art history/archaeology
... etc

Not sure if Yale (http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=271 ) and Hopkins ( http://www.jhsph.edu/chn/research/diet/index.html ) count as north east for you, but both of them have very strong nutrition and obesity research programs. You have pretty good stats. In your position I would probably choose Yale.

In general, the SM & MPH SOPs should be very similar. I applied to several MPH programs in Epi at other schools. It seems that the Master's of Science vs. MPH is very school-specific, not always practice vs. academic...
So, I think that the scope and tone of your SOP should be the same as for MPH. That said, you will need to explain why you chose the SM over the MPH. Why is that the right program for you? What will you learn in the SM that is right for your career trajectory?
I think that the SM1 is a non-thesis program, but I didn't really consider the SM1. I know that the SM2 includes a thesis. I haven't actually started the program yet! I deferred and will start in Sept 2012...!
Thanks a lot. I think I'll apply to both, the mph n ms and then decide, if I get in in both! I'll put in slightly different SOPs. Hsph anyways requires 600 worded SOPs! Hardly any scope for dramatics n the likes! I'll be badgering u more. It would be great if u could PM your email address. Or mail it to me @ [email protected]. Cheers.

Yay more public health nutrition people! :) Good to meet y'all! I'm interested in obesity prevention too, and also in nutrition behavioral interventions in developing countries. Hoping for Yale (SBS) and Hopkins (combined RD program). Bit of a reach, but I'll give it a go.

BS double major in global health nutrition and environmental science, graduating this winter
GPA: 3.31 at a top state school
GRE: 710Q, 680V (I think?)
Experience/research: exercise physiology research assistant, eating behavior research assistant, international service trip leader, world pediatric project intern, GIS intern, two independent research grants (documentary on school garden and english language acquisition in china)
Skills: fluent in mandarin chinese and french, GIS, first aid-CPR-AED certified

My greatest fear in this application process is asking for references. I don't know why! I just hate asking for favors, and I get really nervous. Ugh. I need to get over it.

Last edited:
Yay more public health nutrition people! :) Good to meet y'all! I'm interested in obesity prevention too, and also in nutrition behavioral interventions in developing countries. Hoping for Yale (SBS) and Hopkins (combined RD program). Bit of a reach, but I'll give it a go.

BS double major in global health nutrition and environmental science, graduating this winter
GPA: 3.31 at a top state school
GRE: 710Q, 680V (I think?)
Experience/research: exercise physiology research assistant, eating behavior research assistant, international service trip leader, world pediatric project intern, GIS intern, two independent research grants (documentary on school garden and english language acquisition in china)
Skills: fluent in mandarin chinese and french, GIS, first aid-CPR-AED certified

My greatest fear in this application process is asking for references. I don't know why! I just hate asking for favors, and I get really nervous. Ugh. I need to get over it.

I graduated this past May and I'm currently working as a GIS Analyst (internship that turned into a job) for a city government and have been for the past year and a half. My interests are environmental and global health. Do you think the GIS experience will be beneficial in the admissions process, even though it's not directly involved with public health?

In addition, I also completed an internship with a health collaborative which included nine county health departments. However, this was only six months.

Last edited:
I graduated this past May and I'm currently working as a GIS Analyst (internship that turned into a job) for a city government and have been for the past year and a half. My interests are environmental and global health. Do you think the GIS experience will be beneficial in the admissions process, even though it's not directly involved with public health?

In addition, I also completed an internship with a health collaborative which included nine county health departments. However, this was only six months.

I think it's definitely worth talking about in your SOP! GIS is very useful in public health, and I've seen GIS courses listed in curricula for a variety of MPH divisions.

That's what I was thinking! Loma Linda has an environmental track that is very heavy in GIS. BU and others have at least one course in their curriculum. Thanks!

I think it's definitely worth talking about in your SOP! GIS is very useful in public health, and I've seen GIS courses listed in curricula for a variety of MPH divisions.

Hey y'all!

I will be finishing my undergrad this May with a degree in Biology (BA) and am looking to go straight into an MPH program Fall '12.

GPA: 3.618
GRE: 640 Q/650 V
I have no research experience, a small amount of hospital volunteer experience, and currently work as an assistant in an optometrist's office.

I know "What are my chances?" is a tough question to answer but I guess I would like to know how many people out there get in straight out of undergrad with no field experience?

I'm also very interested in more information on Tulane. Seems like a great program. Is anyone applying there/did anyone get in there?

Good luck to everyone!

apps open soon!

im getting anxious...

hey all - good luck with application process... I know it can be tough.

For those that are interested in the MPH-HPM route or MHA route, Penn State has a great MHA program. I was in your shoes 2 years ago and I ultimately decided to come to PSU over Columbia. If you have any questions with the process, please feel free to send me a message.

I am another MPH applicant...but I don't know where I should/can go until my GRE test next week (wish me luck guys). Good luck on your application, and pls share your thoughts over this thread. It is gonna be a tough race but hold your head up high :)

hey guys i need your help as even i am interested in doing MPH...I am a dentist from india and with GPA 3.06....please tell me the procedure and requirements for this course as aspiring to get in by 2012...