Fall 2010 Acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just found out via email that I've been accepted to Johns Hopkins ScM program in Epi! I definitely wasn't expecting it, I had my mind set on Emory... looks like I still have some figuring out to do, heh.

Accepted:
Hopkins (ScM Epi)
Emory (MSPH Epi)
Pitt (MS Epi)

Waiting:
BU (MS Epi)

Rejected:
Harvard (MS Epi)

I'm still leaning toward Emory at this point... but I'm not positive. Hopkins is CRAZY expensive, and I'm not too thrilled by the city of Baltimore. Anyone have an opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out via email that I've been accepted to Johns Hopkins ScM program in Epi! I definitely wasn't expecting it, I had my mind set on Emory... looks like I still have some figuring out to do, heh.

Accepted:
Hopkins (ScM Epi)
Emory (MSPH Epi)
Pitt (MS Epi)

I'm still leaning toward Emory at this point... but I'm not positive. Hopkins is CRAZY expensive, and I'm not too thrilled by the city of Baltimore. Anyone have an opinion?

Are Emory and Pitt state schools? People keep saying that JH is expensive, but at least for the comparisons that I had to make for my schools - they were all about the same, esp. if you consider that Hopkins is an 11 month program.

Emory is private. Pitt is state affiliated and more expensive then Emory.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
right, what JMM said. I was going to edit my earlier post, because the email from JHU says that they cover 75% of tuition for the second year of the masters program... which brings the cost right down to par with Emory! I have no idea what to do, and I have less than 3 weeks to decide! AHHHH I wasn't prepared for this, lol

Accepted:
Hopkins (ScM Epi)
Emory (MSPH Epi)
Pitt (MS Epi)

Ah, you're not in the MPH, so you can disregard my comment about 11 months...

But I guess one more thing to consider is the cost of living, which is low in Baltimore, as compared to other places you might be going.

That's funny in general though - because I was also not expecting an acceptance to JH! Seems like a lot of people feel that way when they hear from them :p

are you still unable to make a visit? That may help if you can swing it.

haha yeah, blueswirl, I don't think a ton of people expect to get in... you're right, my program is two years.

JMM, I think I might try to head to baltimore for JHU's accepted students day in the beginning of April (it's only a 4.5 hour drive from where I go to school now). hopefully that will help me in my decision :) thanks for the advice!

finally got an email from UC Berkeley SPH today. Accepted to the DrPH program! OMG can't wait to move to the bay area! Best of luck to all those who are still waiting for notice!

I currently live in the Bay area and love it! I am waiting to hear from the UIC online DrPH program. Congratulations!!!

I just got an email from Columbia leading me to the online link to their decision. I got accepted to their MPH in Epi with a concentration in Global Health! Better late than never....!

Hi!
I am still awaiting to hear from cornell.Yale is the best though!I am not eligible to apply for yale cos I dun have a science background.will be hearing from cornell by April 2.I did not have any interviews with cornell for MHA.

I too heard from Columbia this morning! Got into the MPH-SMS program, and decisions in by April 15. I'm going to try and get them to give me an extension on that though, because I'm still waiting for the final word from Hopkins for an MHS in Intl Health Systems.

For those still waiting to hear from JHU -- has anyone received an official letter/email stating they're on a waitlist? The person I spoke to said that I was on an "internal waitlist" and would get the final word only AFTER april 15, once they know who's going to be coming in for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone!! I've been reading these threads for forever...haven't really posted, but figured I would start.

Accepted MPH HBHE-type tracks:
Emory
Michigan
Minnesota
Pittsburgh

Rejected:
UCLA
UC Berkeley
UNC

Stats:
3.78 GPA in Sociology and Spanish minor from Michigan
730Q 550V 5.5W
1.5 years Psychology research
1 summer nutrition community outreach with NYC Dept of Education

Having a tough time deciding between Emory and Michigan. :confused:

I figured I should post the rest of my decisions since they're all in(except final decision regarding waitlist status). For as many people that say that admissions is an evaluation of your overall credentials, there are those that like to pop up and say that you can't get into great, let alone good schools with a sub 3 GPA. I would like to illustrate how FALSE that is....
GPA-2.95 Dual major Sociology/MCH studies, minor-Criminology
GRE- 650Q 560V 4.5 AW
4 years of non-related work experience and 1 year as a health educator in a volunteer capacity

Accepted- Emory (HBHE)
UIC (CHS)
Tulane (CHS/MCH)
USF (MCH)
Waitlisted- Boston (MCH)
Rejected- UNC (MCH)

Was bored and decided to check the status of my UNCC application. UNC-Charlotte just to clarify. Turns out the decision was available 3/25 and I was rejected to their MSPH program. Which is fine because it's just a program and I've already gotten into schools of public health.

Just thought I'd put this in here for reference C:

I saw a few folks around here have already heard from UCI. I'm waiting and hoping for the best while expecting....well, I don't quite know what I'm expecting? Any advice from those who have applied there before or know what to do? I did email admissions and was essentially told your answer will come via email when it will come...hard to hold out hope.

I'd love to hear from people who have heard back or have perhaps attended UCI (or applied in years past). Thank you in advance!

has anyone applied to berkeley but still haven't heard from them yet?
this is insane!!! ahhh!

ACCEPTED TO BU & USF..... I am torn as which to pick, advice? How is everyone else making these huge decisions?
GPA: 3.5, GRE: 1100, 1 yr research.. never thought i'd get in to BU with just that!

ACCEPTED TO BU & USF..... I am torn as which to pick, advice? How is everyone else making these huge decisions?
GPA: 3.5, GRE: 1100, 1 yr research.. never thought i'd get in to BU with just that!
School visits have helped me tremendously. It gives a feel for the school and the city/town it's in, as well as talking to faculty and just seeing how things are run on a day to day basis c:

+1 to what curious said...

I do have to add that in-state fl tuition vs. BU tuition is quite the difference. Cost of living wise too. If you can make the trip up to BU I would suggest it. Sometimes a place sounds awesome on paper and for other people but isn't for you ( I had this happen to me with a schoo/city). Good luck!

Stats
GRE: v 650 q 740 analytical 4
TOEFL 113 r28 L30 s26 w29
GPA > 3.0

Applied to
UTHouston
Fort worth , North Texas
South carolina
suny, buffalo,
suny, albany

Waiting SUNY albany

Accepted : all others,
Joining UTHouston

congrats to all those who were accepted

Applied: Columbia Mailman (HPM), NYU Wagner (HPM w/international specialization)

Accepted: Both

I am so torn between the two. I know Columbia well and love its program. However, my professional goals lie in international setting, and Wagner is willing to let me specialize in international health.

Anyone who has already decided to attend either of the two, can you please share what made you decide? (Not counting financial aid)

Thank you both for the response. I have booked a ticket to a new student welcoming type thing at BU on April 16th, anyone else going? The difference in tuition alone is over $60k...... so it's a HUGE investment.

UC Berkeley acceptance, by phone. Better late than never....! :)

Finally, all the decisions are in:

Accepted: Johns Hopkins (MHA), Michigan (MHSA), UNC (MHA), Alabama (MPH-Health Organization Services), Columbia (MPH-SMS), Harvard SM (SDHS)

Rejected: Minnesota (MHA), NYU (MPA)

Stats: 680Q, 700V. Various research and public health/health administration internship experiences, strong (I hope) letters of recommendation.

Good luck everyone with making your decisions!

Has anyone heard from SDSU yet?

Accepted to SDSU on Saturday by snail mail for MPH in Epi. It's kinda crazy how they're only giving me 17 days notice (deadline is 4/20). And I really didn't like how their acceptance letter made themselves sound more prestigious than they really are.

Accepted to SDSU on Saturday by snail mail for MPH in Epi. It's kinda crazy how they're only giving me 17 days notice (deadline is 4/20). And I really didn't like how their acceptance letter made themselves sound more prestigious than they really are.

That's not so cool. Did you apply to UCI? I'm still waiting on my response and I'd love for it to be a positive one. Thinking it's pretty late in the game though and can't believe I haven't heard ANYTHING.

I posted this before in a separate thread but no one replied so I figured I'd give it a go here:

So I am deciding between an MPH in Epi of Microbial Diseases at Yale and an MSc in Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Hopkins. Given grants, scholarships etc. the cost of going to either would be pretty equivalent.

Any thoughts on making this decision? Desirability of an MPH vs. an MSc? Strengths or weaknesses of either program? Importance of the ranking/name of Hopkins? Baltimore vs. New Haven? Any advice would be appreciated!

Accepted: BU (with merit), SLU, UMDNJ, all in Health Policy & Management
Rejected: Yale

Stats: 2.9 cum GPA (3.5 upper division since I switched from Biomedical Engineering to Economics)
GRE 530 V 630 Q 5.0 AW
2 years of undergrad research, 1 in PH, 1 in BME
goes to show that if you work hard and have good recs you will get what you wish for! BU was my top choice!

That's not so cool. Did you apply to UCI? I'm still waiting on my response and I'd love for it to be a positive one. Thinking it's pretty late in the game though and can't believe I haven't heard ANYTHING.

No, I thought about UCI for a bit, but decided not to because they seem so new. I don't remember if they're accredited or not.

I heard back from UCI, March 15. I was accepted to the mph in epidemiology but declined.
The program isn't accredited from ceph though they're in the process of doing so. I believe the public health program is only through the college of health sciences (no separate school of ph).
I was actually interested in their PHd but as of now they only have the mph.

Last decision finally came in.

Accepted:
Columbia
Emory
USC
BU

Rejected:
Berkeley
UCLA
Hopkins
Yale

dunno why but i'm really really bummed about the berkeley rejection...i guess i realized i wanted to stay in california afterall... =/

Same here! UCI is taking their sweet time. I keep checking the graduate application tracker, but no dice. Still says "being reviewed". :mad:

I agree. I got accepted earlier and have told them that Ill go for the program.
I applied biostatistics program for all schools.
Stats: 3.42 undergrat-UCLA(bioengineering) GRE V:580 Q:790
Accepted:UMichigan, SDSU (all biostats)
Rejected:UCSD(statistics),UCD(biostats)
Waiting:UCLA,Ohio state, UMinnesoda,UCI(statistics)-I didnt know they had mph degree -_-
Decision:SDSU
Reason: Love southern CA plus cheap tuition.
One question: for school of public health related majors, is school reputation important when it comes down to looking for jobs? thanks

Last decision finally came in.

Accepted:
Columbia
Emory
USC
BU

Rejected:
Berkeley
UCLA
Hopkins
Yale

dunno why but i'm really really bummed about the berkeley rejection...i guess i realized i wanted to stay in california afterall... =/

HappySwallow-I definitely know where you're coming from. I didn't think I wanted to go to UCLA as badly as I did until I got the rejection. :( Are you considering USC at all? I'm currently debating staying in LA and attending USC versus Emory (my alma mater) which I REALLY do want to attend but have a relationship in LA. Big sigh.

HappySwallow-I definitely know where you're coming from. I didn't think I wanted to go to UCLA as badly as I did until I got the rejection. :( Are you considering USC at all? I'm currently debating staying in LA and attending USC versus Emory (my alma mater) which I REALLY do want to attend but have a relationship in LA. Big sigh.

Yea.. that sucks. My bf is down SD, whichs the big reason I wanna go for sdsu. Good luck! good school versus long-distance relationship = a tough decision

lol! i'm in the reverse situation as you are...
i'm an undergrad at USC right now so I definitely need to get out, especially since i've been in SoCal my whole life. I'm 99% sure I'll be attending emory in the fall.

have you visited USC? i haven't heard much talk her about USC so i'm not quite sure how great of an MPH program it has...

I posted this before in a separate thread but no one replied so I figured I'd give it a go here:

So I am deciding between an MPH in Epi of Microbial Diseases at Yale and an MSc in Infectious Disease Epidemiology at Hopkins. Given grants, scholarships etc. the cost of going to either would be pretty equivalent.

Any thoughts on making this decision? Desirability of an MPH vs. an MSc? Strengths or weaknesses of either program? Importance of the ranking/name of Hopkins? Baltimore vs. New Haven? Any advice would be appreciated!
montrealer823 i'm in the exact same position (same programs too). plus adding emory in the mix. i've visited all of them...loved yale the most, disliked hopkins/baltimore, ambivalent about emory. i think hopkins has the biggest name, and emory has some great connections (cdc, obv), but when i talked to the yale people they apparently have great success with internships and such. while yale doesn't have the connections that hopkins/emory might due to it being such a small program - i mean, it's yale right? any one else who can help us out?

I just heard back from UCLA in the affirmative, so I thought I would quit lurking...

Applied (all epi)
USC
UCLA

Accepted
USC
UCLA

Stats:
-3.82 Undergrad from UCLA in Anthropology
-Abysmal GRE (620V, 580Q, 4.5A), although my the math on my transcripts is all calculus and stats, all As and Bs, so they must look at the math/science courses you take as well?
-Very detailed personal statement involving research interests and plans for future
-4 very strong LORs
-Speak 4 languages, 1 fluently/native (French), which gels with my research interests.
-County hospital volunteer, 2 years
-8 years of community volunteer work, and community work experience since high school (not public health-related)

Just accepted to Hopkins today (for MPH)! Now trying to decide between Hopkins and Columbia. Also accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill, but I want to stay on the east coast.

I just realized that this is the 1000th post on this thread!

Final Results are in! Just heard from UCLA yesterday... at least 6 weeks later than everywhere else.

Accepted:
UCLA- MPH in Epi
UC Berkeley- MPH in Epi
Boston U- MPH in Epi ($12,000 merit award)
UW- MPH in Epi
Emory- MPH in Global Epi
Columbia- MPH in Epi, Global health track

Rejected: None

No decisions made yet, but I think I've narrowed it down to Berkeley and UW (based on ranking, academics, and cost).

Stats:
3.6 GPA from liberal arts school, Cognitive Science major
700V, 780Q, 5A
3 years experience as a Research Assistant on NIH-funded studies related to risk for HIV-transmission.
4 solid letters of rec.

Conclusions:
- Related work experience HELPS
- Studying for the GREs (especially FLASHCARDS) HELPS
- While it seems to be a common assumption that it's a good idea to go back to school while the economy is bad (there's a lack of jobs anyways, so why not improve my own resume?), the bad economy also affects FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES. I was told by several places that my chances for getting scholarships/grants would have been much higher several years ago. That is, if I had applied during a better economy, I might be getting paid to go to school instead of taking out massive loans (and leaving my salaried job)... Oh well. It's time.

Accepted: SLU

Waiting on:
GWU
UPitt
Drexel

I started sending apps late (end of March) since I was concentrating on Teach for America and DC Teaching Fellows... So the range of schools varies..

STATS: Top 10 School
GPA: 3.0 (biochemistry freshmen year destroyed my gpa)
GRE: 1290

-Worked during school, held manager position, director of student organization, member of a service fraternity, interned at two health related organizations, health outreach to local communities, health administration and planning major...and the list could go on...

Accepted: B.U. (w/partial scholarship), Tufts, Emory, Tulane, Drexel (w/partial scholarship)
Rejected: NYU
Waiting on: Brown

Going to..??? Having trouble deciding--any thoughts would be helpful! I'm interested in international health and also nutrition. Leaning towards B.U. or Tufts because of proximity to friends and family, but have heard better things about Emory and Tulane. Are they really that much better that I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I choose BU or Tufts?

Also having trouble deciding between BU and Tufts. Again any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I don't really have an actual answer for you, because you probably know this, but the benefit of BU over Tufts is that BU is accredited.

Did you go to the student days at any of the schools?

Accepted: B.U. (w/partial scholarship), Tufts, Emory, Tulane, Drexel (w/partial scholarship)
Rejected: NYU
Waiting on: Brown

Going to..??? Having trouble deciding--any thoughts would be helpful! I'm interested in international health and also nutrition. Leaning towards B.U. or Tufts because of proximity to friends and family, but have heard better things about Emory and Tulane. Are they really that much better that I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I choose BU or Tufts?

Also having trouble deciding between BU and Tufts. Again any thoughts would be much appreciated!