Fall 2009 Final Decision Post: Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted: Emory,
Columbia,
Yale
Berkeley
Tulane
GW
Rejected: Johns Hopkins

Final Decision: Yale (CDE)

C u guy!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be enrolling in the MPH program under the Department of Sociomedical Sciences (Health Promotion track) at Columbia University. I'm currently a MSW candidate at Columbia's School of Social Work. Now I'm a dual-degree MPH/MSW candidate. Also thinking of going for a doctorate someday.

Accepted:
BU (MPH Epi)
University of Georgia (MPH Epi)
University of South Carolina (MSPH Epi)
Emory (MPH Epi)

Denied:
None :)

Decision:
Emory!

Can't wait 'til the fall!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was admitted to 2 of the three MPH programs I applied for, all in the West...

Admitted:
UCLA (Health Services)
UC Berkeley (Health Policy and Management)

Wait-listed:
University of Washington (Health Policy Analysis and Process)

Decision:
Berkeley

I live in San Francisco (8+ years and want to stay here if I stay in CA), and I'm going to do the Global Health Certificate as well, so I think it was the best (better) option for international health.

[bites nails] I turned down $15k from UCLA to do this. Did I do the right thing? I think I did, but i could always use some encouragement :oops:.

Last edited:
I was admitted to 2 of the three MPH programs I applied for, all in the West...

Admitted:
UCLA (Health Services)
UC Berkeley (Health Policy and Management)

Wait-listed:
University of Washington (Health Policy Analysis and Process)

Decision:
Berkeley

I live in San Francisco (8+ years and want to stay here if I stay in CA), and I'm going to do the Global Health Certificate as well, so I think it was the best (better) option for international health.

[bites nails] I turned down $15k from UCLA to do this. Did I do the right thing? I think I did, but i could always use some encouragement :oops:.

Well, you'll be fine since you'll receive in-state tuition :)

Accepted:
JHU MPH
UC Berkeley MPH
UCLA MPH
UC Davis MPH
USC MPH
Stanford MS in Clinical Epi

Decision:
Hopkins! (any other people also going to hopkins? PM me!)

Accepted:
JHU MHS
Columbia MPH
Minnesota MPH
Emory MPH
BU MPH
GW MPH

Decision:
Hopkins!

MHS/MA dual degree at Bloomberg and SAIS.

MHS: International Health~Health Systems/ MA: International Relations~Health Policy

I guess my situation is a little different, but I've officially made my decision!

Accepted
Hopkins
Umich
Yale
Boston Univ
UNC
MIT

Rejected
None

Decision
MIT

In the end, I went with engineering! Who says it isn't health related? :cool:

Side note - are you all writing letters to schools indicating that you aren't attending? I am, but should I tell them where I'm going instead?

Still debating... Attended the visit day of both univs. Liked NYU more on face value but Columbia gives the flexibilty of the course duration..can complete the course in a year to year and a half. Finances are working out to pretty much the same. Any suggestions? Any word on financial aid later in the course...TA ship, RA ship, etc.?? Any info provided will be appreciated.

Accepted:

Columbia - MPH
NYU - MPA
CMU - HCPM
CUNY - MPA

Rejected: None

Final Decision: Still waiting??

Thanks,
toothdoc14

Accepted-
Emory
Brown
NYU
Univ. of Pittsburgh
Drexel

Waitlisted- BU

Decision- Brown.........(lil confused though)

Anyone else going to Brown? It does not have a school instead its a program but I think the opportunities are plenty. Anyone has any suggestions on the Brown program.

Hello Everyone...

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances

This is where it stands for me:

ACCEPTANCES: Emory, BU (with merit award), Drexel

STILL WAITING: U Albany, Loma Linda (interview on Wednesday)

DECISION: Most Likely Emory although it is so expensive

What does everybody else think about these schools for an MPH in Global Health?

Accepted:

UC Berkeley (Epi MPH)
UCLA (Epi MPH)
UofW Seattle (Epi MPH)
UofM Ann Arbor (Epi MPH)
Harvard (Epi SM2)

Going to...
either UofW or Harvard
..guess I'd better make up my mind soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to Yale and Tulane;

Rejected
Yale (Epi of Microbial Disease)

Accepted
Tulane (Tropical Medicine)

Who is going to Tulane?

Accepted:
BU (MPH Epi)- with 10k Merit scholarship although it seems they are giving these to most admitted applicants.
Arizona (MPH Epi)
U Michigan (MPH Occupational Hazards and Environmental Epi)
Harvard (SM2 Epi)

Rejected:
Pitt (MPH Epi)
Berkeley (MPH Epi)

Waiting:
UCLA (MPH Epi)

Decision: Harvard! I went to the open house and was completely impressed with the program and the faculty... and I loved Boston, in spite of the weather. I am very excited for the fall.:clap:

Accepted:
UNC-CH: MSPH/PhD Epi
UW: MPH Epi
UC Berkeley: MPH Epi/Biostats
Harvard: SM2 Epi
Yale: CDE

Have not heard (but no longer considering anyway):
UCLA: MPH Epi

I am on a complete roller coaster with this - opinion changes daily if not more frequently. At the moment it's between UW and UNC, with Harvard dropping down simply due to nightmarish cost. Also considering needs of an SO who is anxious about finding work.

Would you agree that UW and UNC are equal in repututation as far as Epi is concerned.

UW seems more focussed on clinical disease while UNC has a more population-level focus.

Ughh!!!

Accepted:
Michigan (HBHE)
GWU (Global Health)
Minnesota (Community Health)
UW (COPHP)
UC Berkeley (HSB)
UCLA (CHS)

Rejected:
Nowhere!

Decision:
Still wavering between UCLA and Berkeley...UCLA is offering full tuition for the first year plus a $12,500 stipend; Berkeley only offered $5,000. But I love Berkeley...but free is nice too...

Accepted:
BU (Epi)
Tulane (Epi)
Texas A&M (Epi)
Emory (Global Epi)

Still Waiting:
University of South Carolina (Weird, bc I am in state)
Arizona

Decision: Emory in Global Epidemiology....I am very excited!

Accepted:

Temple (Global Health)
GWU (Global Health)
BU

Rejected:
Tufts

Decision:
BU (hopefully MCH)

i went and forth between Hopkins and UMich for HPM for a long time.
Going with UMich...

Hello! I figured I'd join this thread considering I just made my decision yesterday! It's such a relief to have decided, isn't it?

Accepted:
Drexel (MPH Epi), BU (MPH Epi), Pitt (MPH Epi)

Rejected:
Harvard (MS Epi), Minnesota (MPH Epi)

Decision:
BU (MPH Epi)
Hey congratulations !!
I've been accepted at BU-MCh.. could u pls tel me the reason u've chosen to go with BU over others?

Accepted:
Pitt: MPH Human Genetics

UW: MPH Public Health Genetics
Boston U: MPH (presumably Epi)

Rejected:

Still waiting, but no longer considering:

Decision:

UW for MPH Public Health Genetics! I'm really excited about the program and the school. I'm also looking forward to living in Seattle (hope the rain doesn't kill me though). :D

Decision:

UW for MPH Public Health Genetics! I'm really excited about the program and the school. I'm also looking forward to living in Seattle (hope the rain doesn't kill me though). :D

Cool. I'm thinking of doing the HPAP track here, but want to take a few classes in genetics.

Acceptances
Columbia MPH - SBS
Michigan MPH - HBHE
OSU MPH - HBHP
Yale MPH - SBS

Rejections
None

Decision
Yale! MPH - SBS, focus in Health Promotion

Stats:
Undergrad at NYU, major in Biology and Political Science. 1 1/2 year internship at an AIDS Service Org. and 5 months at Public Health Department.

3.4 GPA
GRE: 740V/760Q/5A

I went back and forth between Columbia and Yale, but after doing my undergrad at NYU, I was ready to try something a little different, and I figure I can go visit NYC pretty easily. :)

hi guys .. congrats on all ure admits .. ive applied only recently in late march.. to BU/UAB/EMORY/ST LOUIS/MINNESOTA.. for epi..

im a international medical grad / GPA 4.0 / GRE 510 V / 700 Q / 5.5 A ..
do u think theres a chance for acceptance with such late application ..

Need help .. as i cant decide if i should apply to few more schols which still have open deadlines or will it be waste of money .. pls help ..

hi guys .. congrats on all ure admits .. ive applied only recently in late march.. to BU/UAB/EMORY/ST LOUIS/MINNESOTA.. for epi..

Need help .. as i cant decide if i should apply to few more schols which still have open deadlines or will it be waste of money .. pls help ..

I have no idea what you chances are, but if you are genuinely interested in the program, I say go for it. The worst thing you'll hear is no.

If you're not really into any of the programs for which you can apply, then I'd venture to say it'd be a waste.

Of course, if your gut tells you something different, follow it.

I think you'll be fine...I'm a permanent resident/international student... I applied to Emory and BU in late February and I got accepted to both with comparable stats...although in my case to the Global Health program...

The only problem you'll face is with financing your degree since the deadlines for scholarships for the most part have passed...

Good luck!!

Accepted
George Washington
Tulane
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Boston University
Tufts

Rejected

University of Arizona
University of Washinton
Harvard

Decision: Hopkins!

Accepted
George Washington
Univ of South Carolina
Univ of Michigan
Columbia
Univ of North Carolina
Virginia Commonwealth University

Rejected

Yale

Decision
Univ of North Carolina (HMP)This was a hard decision..kept going back and forth between Columbia and UNC. I think I made the right call tho!

Accepted:
UW
Harvard (applied SD, accepted SM2)
UNC-Chapel Hill
UC-Berkeley

Rejected:
U Minnesota

Decision:
UNC :D

stats:
UGPA 3.1
Grad GPA 3.65
GRE V-580 M-710 W-5

Last edited:
Final decision : U.Minnesota - MHA

any1 whoz chosen U.Minn too??

Accepted:
UW (Epi PhD)
Harvard (applied SD, accepted SM2)
UNC-Chapel Hill (Epi PhD)
UC-Berkeley (Epi PhD -- notified after decision was already made)

Rejected:
U Minnesota (Epi PhD)

Decision:
UNC :D

stats:
UGPA 3.1
Grad GPA 3.65
GRE V-580 M-710 W-5

What's your area of interest in Epi?

Accepted:
UNC-CH: MSPH/PhD Epi
UW: MPH Epi
Yale: CDE

Have not heard (but no longer considering anyway):

I am on a complete roller coaster with this - opinion changes daily if not more frequently. At the moment it's between UW and UNC, with Harvard dropping down simply due to nightmarish cost. Also considering needs of an SO who is anxious about finding work.

Would you agree that UW and UNC are equal in repututation as far as Epi is concerned.

UW seems more focussed on clinical disease while UNC has a more population-level focus.

Ughh!!!

Update:
Also accepted to UCLA, but waaaaayyyyy to late.

Decision:
University of Washington!:p

Accepted
UC Berkeley
University of Michigan
University of Washington
Boston University

Rejected
none

Decision
University of Washington--Health Policy Analysis and Process

stats:
BS in pharmacy
GPA 3.9
GRE V670 Q800 W3.5

Acceptances:
Johns hopkins MHA
Columbia MPH (health management)
U Penn MPH
UNC MHA
Rejections:
harvard SM2, Yale MPH
Decision:
Hopkins MHA
anyone going to hopkins mha?

Applied: USF

Accepted: USF

Rejections: None

Decision: Guess :) USF yay!

Congrats to everyone and good luck!

well u sure could say that once again but then thats sthng i had taken into consideration whn i had applied too!their mha prog is ranked no.2 n i was pretty impressed by place whn i went for my interview....plus the students i've spoken to so far r really enjoying d program...so just keeping my fingers crossed n hoping to brave out the next two winters!!

were u accepted to the mha prog too?which school r u considering as an alternative to umn?

well u sure could say that once again but then thats sthng i had taken into consideration whn i had applied too!their mha prog is ranked no.2 n i was pretty impressed by place whn i went for my interview....plus the students i've spoken to so far r really enjoying d program...so just keeping my fingers crossed n hoping to brave out the next two winters!!

were u accepted to the mha prog too?which school r u considering as an alternative to umn?

Not MHA but MS in Health Admin. Do you know how the ranking is on it? I just think its really cold there cuz im from Cali but planning on going there for a casual visit.

Not MHA but MS in Health Admin. Do you know how the ranking is on it? I just think its really cold there cuz im from Cali but planning on going there for a casual visit.

well dunno about d UMN MS in health admin prog....do try to get in touch with some students who r already in the program...well as for the weather...i too am from sunny ca but like i said i was really impressed with the school and d feedback i received from students in d prog....just hope i will be this optimistic n chirpy come december!:p

Made my decision last night, Yale it is!

Accepted (all for management):
BU
Emory
Columbia
Yale

For the Stats people, 3.0 SOPHAS GPA; V710, A700, W5.0 on GRE; easy- to- see progression into public health - but not a lot of experience or ECs.

Accepted:
GWU (GH and OCOL)
Tulane (IHD)

Rejected:
Columbia (GH)

Waiting to hear from...:
Emory (rejected from GH, waiting for GH Epi and Global Env. Health - but not with bated breath)

Final decision:
GWU! (and yay Bangladesh in the spring!)

Accepted
UIC - MHA
SLU - MHA
GWU - MHSA

Rejected
None

Decision
GWU!

I'm so excited! Anyone else going to be in DC?

Accepted:
UNC
U Minn
Univ of Arizona
UIC
GWU
BU

Rejected: Univ of WA

Decision: UIC!

I'm really sorry, but how do I delete this post...

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the health economics program at the university of melbourne? I applied on a whim and now I have to actually choose between that and george washington health policy...

If you do, please PM me!