Fall 2009 Final Decision Post: Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...Who else has already accepted an offer of admission? I took care of my acceptance and declines today. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!

I'm enrolling in the MS in Epi program at UW. I'm very, very excited about my choice. :biglove:

Summary

Accepted: UW (MS Epi), UMich (MPH HBHE), UNC (MPH HBHE), UMinn (MPH Epi)

Rejected: UNC (MSPH/PhD Epi), UMich (MPH Epi)

Withdrew app: UW (MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted: St. Lous, Yale, Minnesota, Michigan (all for Health management)

Rejected: Harvard

Decision: Michigan HMP

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I figured I'd join this thread considering I just made my decision yesterday! It's such a relief to have decided, isn't it?
Decision:
BU (MPH Epi)

Congrats on your decision! Yes, I feel very relieved! :)

I was lucky enough to be accepted into all four programs that I applied to and I have decided to go to Johns Hopkins for the MHS in International Health - Social and Behavioral Interventions. Very excited! Anyone else going to JH in the fall?

Other programs that I applied to:
Columbia (MPH) - Global Health - Sociomedical Sciences
Yale (MPH) - Social and Behavioral Sciences Global Health Concentration
GW (MPH) - Global Health Communications

Accepted-
Tulane
Boston University
UI-Chicago
Texas A&M
University of Colorado Denver
University of Georgia

Rejected-
Emory
Yale
Arizona

Final Decision-
Tulane

I applied to all MPH in epidemiology programs. I'm very excited about Tulane SPH&TM and New Orleans! Let me know if anyone else plans to enroll at Tulane this fall.

I was also lucky enough to get accepted at all the programs I applied to, but finally made my decision:

Accepted:
GWU (Global Health)
Tulane (International Health and Development)
NYU (International Community Health)
Columbia (Global Health Track - Management and Policy)

Final Decision:
Columbia :love:

Its like a huge weight off my shoulders to finally have the decision done and "thanks but no thanks" letters out.

I thought I already posted on this thread but maybe I was writing somewhere else.

Accepted:
Hopkins (infectious disease concentration)
Emory (CMPH, prevention science)
GW (global health)

I have chosen Hopkins for the MPH program. I'm still a little disappointed it does not have field experience built into it but since I'll be finished in 11 months, I can always apply for a fellowship.

Now, off to research apartments in Baltimore!

Accepted:
Yale
Emory
Columbia
(all in Health Policy and Management)

Rejected:
Hopkins
Harvard

Decision:
Yale (Advance Professional Program in Health Policy and Management)

I am very excited and ready to get started:D

publichealthqs, I willing be doing the exact same program at Hopkins in the fall. MHS - Social and Behavioral Interventions -International Health.

Guess it's around time I posted my schools. All applications were sent out to SPHs for a PhD in Epidemiology/Environmental Epidemiology. I definitely applied to a lot of schools because I really had no idea what kinds of schools I'd get into (if at all) and how much funding I'd get from each school.

Accepted
Arizona
Illinois-Chicago
Oklahoma
Yale

Rejected
Harvard
Hopkins
Michigan
Minnesota
Pittsburgh
UC-Berkeley
UCLA

Still Waiting
Colorado (interviewed)
Drexel
Maryland
Saint Louis
San Diego State

Decision
Yale w/ NCI Training Fellowship (my #1 choice!! :))

accepted:
Hopkins, PhD
UCLA, PhD

rejected:
Harvard SD

decision: Hopkins! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted

Dartmouth MPH
Cornell MHA (with scholarship)

Waiting

Michigan - MPH - Biostatistics
Emory - MPH - Biostatistics
Tulane - MPH - Biostatistics
Texas A&M - MPH - Biostatistics
UT Health Sciences - MPH - Biostatistics

Decision

Well, that's a good question. I may take a nice extended vacation, I may keep working and mess around with it part-time at my local university, or if I decide to go full-time, I will probably go to Dartmouth. 11 month program, cheap cost of living, family friendly town, Ivy league name, ridiculously high tuition. Yeah, sounds good to me. Unless Michigan or Emory would actually look at my app and get me a decision already!!!!!! With a scholarship, please?

What program? Epi? Global Health?

yes global health --- well specifically,

Hopkins - International Health - Health Systems
UCLA - Community Health Sciences
Harvard - Global Health - Health Systems

Admitted:
Emory (Global Epi)
Columbia (General Epi), 10k per year
UMich (Global Epi), 1/4 scholarship
UAB (Global Epi)
UWash (General Epi)

Rejected:
Thankfully nowhere (I got lucky I guess)

Final decision:

After much deliberation, I went with UMich. I was just blown away by how friendly they were and the strength of their program and opportunities. I hope that me withdrawing from the other schools gets someone here admitted off the waitlist! Best of luck to those still waiting on a decision.

hi everyone, instead of starting a new thread i thought i'd just post my question here because it's relevant to the "final decision"-

I'm still trying to decide between several schools but one of my school's deadline is approaching (Mar. 23!!!!!!!!!! grr) am I allowed to accept multiple schools and then make my final decision later? I'm also still waiting for some schools to get back to me... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

hi everyone, instead of starting a new thread i thought i'd just post my question here because it's relevant to the "final decision"-

I'm still trying to decide between several schools but one of my school's deadline is approaching (Mar. 23!!!!!!!!!! grr) am I allowed to accept multiple schools and then make my final decision later? I'm also still waiting for some schools to get back to me... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I would advise against accepting at multiple schools. Not only would you lose a lot of $$ in deposits, but even worse, if you wait until after April 15 to make your decision, you will have to contact each school and ask to be officially released from their program before you can accept the offer of the program you ultimately choose to attend. They would almost certainly grant your requests, as no program should want a student who doesn't want to be there. However, doing this could backfire - You don't want to burn bridges. What if you decide you'd like to attend one of those schools for your PhD (assuming) or work there? Plus, while it's most important to do what's best for you, it would be pretty selfish to accept a bunch of programs, knowing that other students are waiting for those spots.

I think the better way to go is to contact the school with the March 23 deadline and ask for an extension. :thumbup:

Check out the "Decisions, Decisions" forum at www.thegradcafe.com for several posts on this topic.

accepted - umass for ms epi
rejected - unc (mph epi)
waiting - LSHTM
considering applying to u of texas at houston for spring...
anyone headed to umass or currently on the program... need help deciding...
thanx

Accepted:
BU
Yale
Emory
Columbia
Harvard
Hopkins
UCLA

Decision:
Yale !!

Accepted
Drexel
UPitt
BU
NYU

Rejected
Yale

Decision
NYU (Community Public Health)

hey guys congrats on all your acceptances
I am looking into applying for Fall 2010 programs and I was wondering if you guys could post your stats along with your acceptances, if you guys don't mind. just to help the rest of us who are looking to apply and we can see where we stand with schools.

I was wondering if you guys could post your stats along with your acceptances,

I started this thread (UW MS Epi), and my stats are:

GRE (highest scores from two attempts): 620V, 660Q, 4.5AWA
Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Upper-level Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Current (post-Bacc) GPA: 4.0 (math courses part-time the last 3 quarters, which probably counteracted my crappy Q score :p)

I have a BS in Health Information Management and have been working in the health care field for several years. No significant public health experience beyond a small HIV/AIDS epidemiology project I've been assisting the local public health department with as part of my current job.

See above for schools and stuff.

GRE: 780Q/680V/6.0W
GPA: 3.49 uGPA

B.A. in Molecular Biology and German Literature. No public health experience but lots of microbio lab work and some volunteering in hospital settings.

futureepi -

BU - MPH Epi
Yale - AP-MPH Applied Biostat and epi
Emory - MPH Epi
Columbia -MS Biostat, clinical research track
Harvard - MPH quantitative methods
Hopkins - MPH
UCLA - MPH Epi

Last edited:
I would advise against accepting at multiple schools. Not only would you lose a lot of $$ in deposits, but even worse, if you wait until after April 15 to make your decision, you will have to contact each school and ask to be officially released from their program before you can accept the offer of the program you ultimately choose to attend. They would almost certainly grant your requests, as no program should want a student who doesn't want to be there. However, doing this could backfire - You don't want to burn bridges. What if you decide you'd like to attend one of those schools for your PhD (assuming) or work there? Plus, while it's most important to do what's best for you, it would be pretty selfish to accept a bunch of programs, knowing that other students are waiting for those spots.

I think the better way to go is to contact the school with the March 23 deadline and ask for an extension. :thumbup:

Check out the "Decisions, Decisions" forum at www.thegradcafe.com for several posts on this topic.

Thanks for your suggestion- I'm going to ask for an extension. However, I wasn't thinking of accepting all my schools and then contemplate after. It's only 1 school that has a Mar 23 reply deadline and at this point it's between that school and another. Anyhoo I hope I'll be granted with an extension:xf:

Accepted:
BU - HPM
UPitt - MHA, MPH - HPM
Yale - MPH - health management
Emory - MPH - HPM
UMich - MHSA
Carnegie - HCPM
Columbia - HPM - MPH
UMinnesota - MHA

Rejected:
Berkeley

I'm going to Johns Hopkins
:)

Accepted:
Yale, BU, Tulane, Hopkins, Emory, GWU

Rejected:
Harvard, Oxford, LSHTM

Decision:
Hopkins, MHS International, Health Systems

Stats:
Undergrad GPA- 3.85
620V, 730Q
1.5 years working for int'l dev NGO

First Time Post

Accepted:
Cornell (MHA)
George Washington (MHA)
St. Louis (MHA)
Washington (MHA)
Johns Hopkins (MHA)
Berkeley (MPH - HPM)
Yale (MPH - HPM)

Decision:
Johns Hopkins (MHA) :D

Stats:
GRE: 7100V/770Q/5.5W
Ugrad GPA: 3.5/4.0

Last edited:
I'm a med student going for a 1-year MPH...

Accepted:
UNC (Public Health Leadership)
U Pitt (Multidisciplinary MPH)
Tulane (Community)

Don't Know Yet:
U Minnesota
USF
GW
UAB

Decision:
UNC :D

Stats:
MCAT 29Q
Undergrad GPA 3.9
Med school GPA 3.5

Acceptances
Cornell (MHA) ($2K merit)
Yale (MPH) ($10K grant)
BU (MPH) ($17K merit)
Tufts (MPH) (?)
Brown (MPH) (50% tuition merit)
Columbia (MPH) ($8K merit)
NYU Wagner (MPA) (25% tuition merit)

Rejections
Harvard (SM2)

Decision
Yale! (Chronic Disease Epi: Social and Behavioral Sciences)

Visit day was great and helped me make my final decision.

Stats:
Straight out of undergrad with a BS in Public Health (but, relevant internships, research experience, abroad experience, etc.)

3.89 cum GPA/4.0 major GPA
GRE: 580V/740Q/5.5A (although...the first time I took the GRE, I scored lower and it turns out, only a few schools ended up receiving my newer/better scores)

Last edited:
Accepted

NYMC (MPH, EPI)
BU (MPH, EPI)
Yale (MPH, CDE)
Columbia (MPH, EPI)

REJECTED

Harvard (SM2, EPI)

Decision

Yale

I too was very impressed with visit day, combined with all other factors it is a clear choice now.

GPA 3.2
GRE 680V, 730Q
Substantial research exp, volunteering with community health org.

For those of you that attended Yale Visit day - and it convinced you to go - what did you like / not like about Yale?

I got into the following:

Yale (Chronic Disease Epi)
Columbia (Health Policy)
UCLA (Community Health Sciences- Health Policy)
Emory (Health Policy)

Stats: BA from Tufts in Econ and Community Health, 3.7 GPA, GRE: 590 V, 750 Q, a year of research experience, two summer internships, and a little volunteer experience.

ImPublicHealthy and klm7552, I wasn't able to come to Yale's Open House but am going to try to visit this coming weekend. What made you guys choose Yale over Columbia? I'm very torn....Were financial packages a consideration, and if yes, how so?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Accepted:

Yale (CDE)
UMich (Epi)
Columbia (Epi)

Haven't heard:

UCLA (Epi)

Decision:

Yale (CDE) :)

Stats:
3.5/4.0 undergraduate GPA (I haven't graduated yet, but that's mine right now)
GRE Q770 AW 6.0 (verbal is embarrassing. lol)
3 years of global health experience, presented research at APHA conference

To the post above, I was trying to decide between Yale and Columbia, and the visit day definitely sealed the deal for me. While I did consider the financial benefits (Yale is giving me more money than Columbia), I wanted to attend the program that I felt was best.

Yale's visit day, in a nutshell, was fabulous. The administration did a wonderful job organizing a wonderful array of group activities--we got to have an informal meet and greet with professors/directors in the morning, followed by a very nice formal introduction by the dean on the program. Then we were broken up into our divisions, and there the directors of each program went through with us further information regarding the program, research opps, etc. Some profs. sat with us during lunch to talk to us, and everybody was super helpful and nice! I was impressed at how genuinely approachable everybody was. Career services, fin aid, and IT gave a nice little hello presentation, and then the student panel went over with us living in new haven, what they like about the program, etc. We then got to break out into small tour groups--we went to see the dorms, the medical library, new haven area, etc.

One of the biggest pros to yale is the small student to faculty ratio...I think that attention is hard to match anywhere else. Besides the visit day, they've been the most attentative and responsive to my inquiries regarding the program, and they've had numerous online chat sessions that I found useful. New Haven seems nice (granted, I'm in a big city right now so that's going to be an adjustment), and I am all for the lower cost of living (compared to columbia). And plus, I like that it's sort of a pass/fail system, and after coming from an ultra weed out university, I'm very much looking forward to taking off the grading edge.

Columbia, in contrast, has not been very reponsive to my e-mails, and I've called them a couple of times, many of which were not at all friendly. I also don't like that I've been hearing poor things about their Epi program, which is not at all helpful, if I'm going to be spending that much time and money on it. I'm judging a lot of my decision based on how I'm being treated by each individual school, granted, this is subjective I know. However, I just feel that if a school like Columbia is not going to make the effort now at least to make me feel excited and well informed about their program after admission, I don't see how they are going to after I take a leap of faith and go there. Yale has been nothing but tremendous.

So hence

Yale pros:
-individualized attention
-get to know faculty and students well
-small townish feel, lower cost of living compared to living in new york
-Pass/fail system
-academic centered (I got the impression that phd route is viable), but yet practical enough for terminal degree
-very friendly/attentative prof/admin/staff
-I like the people I met too during visit day--such an amazing group of people with so many diverse experiences, I found it fasinating to hear

Cons:
-not big city (but I'm ok with this)

Columbia pros:
-it's in nyc, opportunities are there

cons:

-I'm having a hard time getting to know their epi program/finding anyone that has good things to say beyond just a ranking comparison (and I'm all about fit vs. ranking. I rather fit well with a school then not at one with higher ranking).

Hope that helps with people that didn't go to visit day and doing the whole yale vs. columbia thing...people that went to Yale's visit day can add :)

wit, I think you summed it up very well :)

Yale was very student-oriented and both the faculty and student body were great. I really felt as though the environment was a perfect fit for me. The class sizes are small, there is a lot of opportunity for research, you really get to know everyone in the department, the campus was lovely, and there is a good amount of room to take electives (you can take any course at the university). I really can't say enough about the students and faculty—they were very welcoming, social, and all of them seemed to love the program. Also, there is a very strong individual focus and there is a lot of one-on-one interaction between advisors, career services, etc.
Extracurriculars are widely available as well. For instance, there is a public health group that goes to El Salvador every spring break to do health education, intervention work, etc.
The current students were talking about why they chose Yale and most were deciding between Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UMich, etc…but, they mainly cited choosing Yale for the strong faculty-student relationships, the availability of research opportunities (Yale is ranked as the #1 school for public health research, by the Chronicle of Higher Education), and the name (which, they say, does make a difference).

In comparison to Columbia, I felt as though Yale had a much warmer feel, had smaller classes, was more student-focused, and was in a nicer area. Yale is also about $10,000/year cheaper and offered me some grant money, while Columbia did not.
I think Columbia is a great school, but it just didn’t feel like a good fit for me personally. However, Columbia has a broader range of research areas, so if you’re interests are not represented by Yale’s faculty, then perhaps Columbia would be the better choice.

Applied: UCLA, UCB, UW
Accepted: UCLA, UW

Decision: UW

Accepted:
Johns Hopkins (MHA)
UNC- Chapel Hill (MHA)
UM- Ann Arbor (MHSA)
UCLA (MPH)
UC-Berkeley (MPH)
Columbia (MPH)
NYU (MPA)

Waitlisted:
Harvard (SM2)

Decision: UC- Berkeley! :love:

Accepted:

BU Health Management, BU MBA
Emory Heath Management, Emory MBA
Yale Health Management
Columbia Health Management

Still Waiting:
Yale MBA
Columbia MBA (Interviewed)

I was able to make Yale's visit day this past week and absolutely loved it. I ended up hanging out with current students and another candidate till 11:30 and then drove back home. I already sent my letter off to BU to let them know I would not be attending but am pretty conflicted about Yale/Columbia.

I really enjoyed Yale and feel as though it would be a good cultural and academic fit for me. But if I somehow make it into both of Columbia's programs though I will be hard pressed to turn down two top 10 schools in NYC...

Accepted:
*GWU-Maternal and Child Health
*UNC-Maternal and Child Health
*Arnold USC-Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior

Rejected:
*Columbia

Decision: UNC :love:

I applied to 7 places:

Accepted:
Tulane - early january
LSHTM- mid- january

Waitlisted:
BU

Waiting:
Toronto
JHSPH- just sent transcripts, forgot I hadn't sent it to them, lol
NYU- sent transcripts late
Chicago: I don't know why they haven't rejected me yet; I kinda didn't pay their int'l fees, lol

These are all for MPH.
Will be going to LSHTM!

Accepted:
Harvard, MPH, health management and policy
Johns Hopkins, MPH, health management and policy
U of Mich, MPH, health management and policy

Rejected: None

Waitlist: None

Decision: Nowhere:(

Accepted:
Emory (MPH Epi), GWU (MPH Epi & Cert HIV/AIDS)

Rejected:
UNC (PhD Epi)

Decision:
Emory (MPH Epi) :love:

Accepted:
Emory (MPH Epi), GWU (MPH Epi & Cert HIV/AIDS)

Rejected:
UNC (PhD Epi)

Decision:
Emory (MPH Epi) :love:

jmatthews112, were you the one at the GW Open House who had driven through the night to get to DC from Atlanta? If so (or even if not), congrats on your decision!

I was - =P

Now, my question for you:

You seem like someone who also attended both open houses and who ran into me at one or the other =) ... where did I meet you? If you would like, send me a PM and remind me who you are. Are you also leaning toward Emory?

Hi jmatthews112. I tried sending you a PM, but it was unable to send.

Anyway, I didn't apply to Emory, but I was at GW's Open House for Epi. I was part of the somewhat disgruntled group that was rather concerned with GW's program. I have decided to attend BU, but based on everyone's description of Emory, it seems like a great choice for someone interested in global or infectious disease epi.

Hope you got some sleep after the long drive and don't feel like visiting GW was a waste of time. In a way, I am actually glad that GW was a disappointment, as it has made me even happier with my school choice.

Good luck with everything!