This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayang16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

So I am about to be a junior this fall. I decided to take ochem this summer and actually just took my final for ochem 1 today. I am scared I will not pass the class with at least a C- because I am pretty sure I bombed the exam. How is retaking it in the fall going to affect my medical school chances? I have a light courseload this fall so if I have to retake ochem I think I have a chance at getting at an A because I will study the rest of the summer.

I just want to know if this can affect my chances into getting into any medical school. I know this is going to hurt my gpa a lot. I am just scared because I only have fall semester and then spring semester before I have to start applying for medical school.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools the new grade will be averaged with the old. Thus, your GPA will not be helped all that much. What will help is doing well from now on. A's kid, not B's.

For DO schools the better grade replaces the worse one.

Your situation is VERY common.

Reactions: 1 user
How is retaking it in the fall going to affect my medical school chances?

If you failed, NOT retaking it will virtually guarantee you will never get into medical school in the US at least.

I just want to know if this can affect my chances into getting into any medical school.

Do you think doing poorly/ failing a prerequisite required for medical school reflects well upon yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
@cristinayang16 I was taking the same exact course over this summer also. (I have this feeling that we go to the same school.) I dropped it before it was too late. Summer science courses are really intense and they take away too much from us. I literally cried for hours due to stress and anxiety every week. We got this!! Over the fall, we will rock it!

@cristinayang16 I was taking the same exact course over this summer also. (I have this feeling that we go to the same school.) I dropped it before it was too late. Summer science courses are really intense and they take away too much from us. I literally cried for hours due to stress and anxiety every week. We got this!! Over the fall, we will rock it!

IDK I feel like summer courses are better for me because there are less courses I need to concentrate on. I can just live and breathe whatever I am learning at the time.

I know this is going to hurt my gpa a lot. I am just scared because I only have fall semester and then spring semester before I have to start applying for medical school.
Med school isn't going anywhere, and you are not compelled to apply a year from now. Doing so prematurely before you redeem your GPA will waste a lot of application dollars. Sometimes it's necessary to continue taking coursework for another year (either before or after graduating) to become competitive.

And let's not get ahead of ourselves predicting doom and gloom when you don't have the grade back yet. Maybe everyone found the test difficult and there will be a favorable curve.

I agree though this was the only class I was taking along with the lab and I was crying and having anxiety attacks every night. It sucks learning a semester's worth of material in one month!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Med school isn't going anywhere, and you are not compelled to apply a year from now. Doing so prematurely before you redeem your GPA will waste a lot of application dollars. Sometimes it's necessary to continue taking coursework for another year (either before or after graduating) to become competitive.

I mean I really do not want to take a gap year. My other grades/gpa are pretty decent and I have good EC/volunteering/shadowing/research hours and hopefully I will do well on my MCAT(plan on taking in January). I just did not want organic chemistry to ruin me.

LOL no... but, our course structure is so similar. I took it with lab also. Literally two to three lab reports each week, over that quizzes and exams- and on top that, when you work your heart off and the results do not reflect it :( (top it over with 3-4 hours of sleep each night)

Make sure you put in the same amount of work you put in over the summer during the academic year and we will get A!
You should remove your professor's name though.