Failing Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't even conceive of how someone would make it to a sub-i with that type of behavior. Is it just playing the system? Is it possible for people to force their way through med school without ever trying hard? Seems impossible. Like maybe she has always been so oblivious that people don't want to hurt her feelings? Hmm. I hope I do not become this med student :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't even conceive of how someone would make it to a sub-i with that type of behavior. Is it just playing the system? Is it possible for people to force their way through med school without ever trying hard? Seems impossible. Like maybe she has always been so oblivious that people don't want to hurt her feelings? Hmm. I hope I do not become this med student :)

It's not that hard to do a sub-I at your home institution. You just register for it.

By the way, you're incorrect - no matter how oblivious you are, there are ALWAYS people who are willing to hurt your feelings. Particularly on some of the more intense rotations.

It IS possible for people to slither their way through med school without trying hard or without even showing up to their rotations every day. (Some people "manage" to be "sick" 5-6 times during one six week rotation. :rolleyes:)

Nobody said med school was fair.

This is an interesting question, about how to help a medical student. I am not there and so I can not know for sure what is happening, especially from the student's point of view. I will say that learning medicine in the way we do teach it - by throwing students in and hoping they 'figure it out' - does not work for everyone. Some people have a hard time getting all the pieces together, or knowing how to prepare for rounds or struggle with the intense psychological environment that a busy hospital provides. Some residents and attendings ignore students, or hassle them.

For the most part, we do all figure it out eventually. And there are some awesome residents and attendings who do teach well, of course. But in general, it is a weird system and not a level playing field by any means. It can feel isolating, as well.

I don't know the answer for this student, but I wonder what is going on for her that she is still struggling in her fourth year. I would think it might be upsetting to be on a sub-i and see that you are not doing as well as you're required to do. You do seem to care, is there any way to list the things she needs to do - one, two, three - and then encourage her to do them. Also, listen to what she says as a clue to what might be going on for her.

Members don't see this ad :)
This girl actually failed her third year medicine clerkship and was made to repeat it during her "vacation time" this year. From what I hear, she got a straight Pass on the repeat. She is barely squeaking by on this rotation. I know that my attending and senior resident had a conference with her this past week, along with her clerkship director, to discuss her performance. It turns out that she also had to repeat part of one of her other third year rotations. I think that they are just trying to push her through to graduation because of the massive debt that she has now accumulated (she repeated at least one year of medical school). She just doesn't get it. There have been several instances of her "forgetting" to put orders/notes on charts. She cries all of the time. I was at the desk writing prescriptions when she came up to me, threw a ton of paperwork at me and told me to help her out by getting this stuff on the chart before the attending found out and killed her. She was crying and just ran off. I was just stunned! I put the paperwork on the charts for her and I tried to talk to her later. She told me that she had to get back to a particular state, which is very competitive for residency, and that no one seemed to care about giving her a good grade to help her do that. I looked over the list of programs that she is applying to and she has only applied to top notch programs, which are very likely to reject her based on her academic performance. She got mad at me when I suggested that she apply to some lower tier programs in that region, that are of good quality, but more within her reach. She accused everyone of sabatoging her because she is an older, nontraditional student. Once again, I tried to talk to her about the importance of putting paperwork on charts, not getting her patients confused, making sure that she followed up on essential studies, etc. Her response was, "I do all of that." She doesn't. She has no concept of organization. My resident told her to do an H and P around 5 PM one night and she hadn't even started it after 8 PM. This would have only made her 2nd patient as the attending didn't allow her to care for more than 3 patients at a time because she didn't think that this student could handle them. It wasn't like she was tied up with anything else and had an excuse not to get started on this patient. I was in the process of transferring a cross-cover patient to the ICU and happened to notice her on the floor, walking around with her coffee cup and talking to fellow students. I got paged at 8PM by my senior and was told to find her and help her do the H and P because she hadn't started on it yet. I paged her and made her come to the ICU to get started. I went into the room with her and interviewed the patient and got the information that I needed. She then asked me if I could write the H and P for her since I obtained most of the information! I told her that she was there and heard the same stuff that I did and she needed to take care of this. She started crying and told me that I was being unfair. I wrote her orders for her and went over the plan of care. She did not finish that H and P until around 11 PM! :confused: I don't know what to do with her. I have since finished my rotation and am now at another facility. The intern who has her now is ready to strangle her. She is now starting to point out the intern's and resident's deficiencies to the attending. She actually told the attending that the intern's notes are not as thorough as hers are! He has 10-12 patients to her 2-3, plus has to follow up on all of her stuff! This lady definitely has problems. I care about my students and want to see them do well, but this situation is a little incomprehensible to me. I have never been in a situation where my input could lead to someone's failure, but I am not sure if she should be allowed to pass this rotation. I feel bad for her, but at the same time, I don't feel as if she is ready to be an intern.

Exactly. Don't feel bad for her, feel bad for her future patients. Do them all a favor and give her school your honest evaluation. A person this incompetent should not be allowed to graduate from medical school. She'll find a job doing something else where people's lives aren't hinging on the hope that she won't forget to do something important.

She is barely squeaking by on this rotation.

It turns out that she also had to repeat part of one of her other third year rotations.

(she repeated at least one year of medical school).

She cries all of the time.

...no one seemed to care about giving her a good grade to help her do that.

She accused everyone of sabatoging her because she is an older, nontraditional student.

...and happened to notice her on the floor, walking around with her coffee cup and talking to fellow students.

She is now starting to point out the intern's and resident's deficiencies to the attending.

Fail her, and, in your comments, strenuously "suggest" that she get professional help. You never know - she might even have some underlying Axis II pathology. And it's unforgiveable that she's pointing out the intern's "deficiencies."

If she's already repeated a year or two of med school, it's too bad that she has so much debt. But you'd think she'd try to make up for that repeat by being a rock star on all of her rotations. That's clearly not happening, and it's unclear just what WOULD motivate her.

She shouldn't be a doctor. It's pretty clear.

The above is excellent advice, IMHO.

It seems fairly clear from your description that this student has some psychological issues. That coupled with her performance and failure to recognize her troubles mean that she needs help: both by failing her and suggesting that she get some academic counseling (which will likely result in some psycholigical counseling as well).

Personally I think it's important that this girl gets help (she needs it), but putting "Hey, you fail. Oh, and you're also crazy, see a shrink" is just going to give this girl an excuse on why she failed.

"I was working SOOOO hard and this mean intern tried to tell me I had mental problems and failed me even though I was doing everything I needed to do!"

If you really wanted to help this girl, I'd start making an itemized list of EVERYTHING bad she has done and hand it over to her with your evaluations. That way she can't say pull the "They made up stuff about me" card. I would then contact the mental health/student dean at the med school and say "Hey, I've got this girl with me who's crazy. Please try to talk to her" in confidence.

Tough situation. She may need help, but you know how med school/residency gossip is - she's going to be afraid that everyone will hear about her nervous breakdown.

What she may discuss with her psychiatrist/psychologist may be in confidence, but the rest of her classmates will be talking nonetheless.

Tough situation. She may need help, but you know how med school/residency gossip is - she's going to be afraid that everyone will hear about her nervous breakdown.

What she may discuss with her psychiatrist/psychologist may be in confidence, but the rest of her classmates will be talking nonetheless.

You may be right, but I don't think that these are issues that an intern should be teasing apart. The intern's only duty is to evaluate this student - i.e. choose a grade, and write comments that will (hopefully) be read carefully by a dean. It is up to the dean to figure out how to approach this particular student, but I don't think that this is an intern's responsibility.

Somebody needs to raise a red flag. Clearly, this student's previous attendings/residents were reluctant to do so. This is not good for her, and not good for her future patients. And if nobody is willing to point out that she may need a psychologist/psychiatrist, then that's not fair to the student either. I think it's too easy for med students with mental health issues to slip through the cracks, and they rarely seem to get the help that they need.

Personally I think it's important that this girl gets help (she needs it), but putting "Hey, you fail. Oh, and you're also crazy, see a shrink" is just going to give this girl an excuse on why she failed.

"I was working SOOOO hard and this mean intern tried to tell me I had mental problems and failed me even though I was doing everything I needed to do!"

If you really wanted to help this girl, I'd start making an itemized list of EVERYTHING bad she has done and hand it over to her with your evaluations. That way she can't say pull the "They made up stuff about me" card. I would then contact the mental health/student dean at the med school and say "Hey, I've got this girl with me who's crazy. Please try to talk to her" in confidence.

PeepshowJohnny - I agree, just writing "Hey, she should fail, 'cause she needs help" is not useful. But writing that she was not responsible, not conscientious, and seemed to have difficulty responding in an emotionally appropriate way to criticism, and then suggesting that her issues need professional management, might be helpful.

This girl actually failed her third year medicine clerkship and was made to repeat it during her "vacation time" this year. From what I hear, she got a straight Pass on the repeat. She is barely squeaking by on this rotation. I know that my attending and senior resident had a conference with her this past week, along with her clerkship director, to discuss her performance. It turns out that she also had to repeat part of one of her other third year rotations. I think that they are just trying to push her through to graduation because of the massive debt that she has now accumulated (she repeated at least one year of medical school). She just doesn't get it. There have been several instances of her "forgetting" to put orders/notes on charts. She cries all of the time. I was at the desk writing prescriptions when she came up to me, threw a ton of paperwork at me and told me to help her out by getting this stuff on the chart before the attending found out and killed her. She was crying and just ran off. I was just stunned! I put the paperwork on the charts for her and I tried to talk to her later. She told me that she had to get back to a particular state, which is very competitive for residency, and that no one seemed to care about giving her a good grade to help her do that. I looked over the list of programs that she is applying to and she has only applied to top notch programs, which are very likely to reject her based on her academic performance. She got mad at me when I suggested that she apply to some lower tier programs in that region, that are of good quality, but more within her reach. She accused everyone of sabatoging her because she is an older, nontraditional student. Once again, I tried to talk to her about the importance of putting paperwork on charts, not getting her patients confused, making sure that she followed up on essential studies, etc. Her response was, "I do all of that." She doesn't. She has no concept of organization. My resident told her to do an H and P around 5 PM one night and she hadn't even started it after 8 PM. This would have only made her 2nd patient as the attending didn't allow her to care for more than 3 patients at a time because she didn't think that this student could handle them. It wasn't like she was tied up with anything else and had an excuse not to get started on this patient. I was in the process of transferring a cross-cover patient to the ICU and happened to notice her on the floor, walking around with her coffee cup and talking to fellow students. I got paged at 8PM by my senior and was told to find her and help her do the H and P because she hadn't started on it yet. I paged her and made her come to the ICU to get started. I went into the room with her and interviewed the patient and got the information that I needed. She then asked me if I could write the H and P for her since I obtained most of the information! I told her that she was there and heard the same stuff that I did and she needed to take care of this. She started crying and told me that I was being unfair. I wrote her orders for her and went over the plan of care. She did not finish that H and P until around 11 PM! :confused: I don't know what to do with her. I have since finished my rotation and am now at another facility. The intern who has her now is ready to strangle her. She is now starting to point out the intern's and resident's deficiencies to the attending. She actually told the attending that the intern's notes are not as thorough as hers are! He has 10-12 patients to her 2-3, plus has to follow up on all of her stuff! This lady definitely has problems. I care about my students and want to see them do well, but this situation is a little incomprehensible to me. I have never been in a situation where my input could lead to someone's failure, but I am not sure if she should be allowed to pass this rotation. I feel bad for her, but at the same time, I don't feel as if she is ready to be an intern.

Give up on her man. Its obvious that this student doesn't have what it takes to succeed. Normally I would be in favor of helping any student who was a little weak, but was motivated and teachable. This woman obviously is beyond help. If she ever manages to become an intern, she will end up killing patients.

Well, I suppose you can take some consolation in knowing this thread is pretty helpful to learn what NOT to do as a rotating medical student. Goooood grief. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's great you want to help her, but I wonder if she is someone who can be helped by a well-meaning intern. It sounds like she's not able to cope in a normal working environment where you need to be at least minimally dependable. Could she be depressed or have some axis II disorder?

There was a girl like this in my med school class... everyone passed her along because it was easier than failing her, and in the end she screwed up so royally that she became entwined in a lawsuit and didn't graduate. Looking back, the administration probably should have seen the red flags and stepped in before she accumulated so much debt.

It makes me wonder though... how do these people get through the application process? To me, getting good grades, building good relationships with professors, studying for the MCAT, doing endless applications, making a good impression at the interview, etc seems much more difficult than just showing up when you're supposed to and getting some work done.

It would be extremely inappropriate and irresponsible to pass this student. We have a duty to self govern in our profession. If a student like this gets a medical degree, our degree loses its impact.

A medical student is not there to do your work for you. Also, it's expected that a student will make some mistakes, because if they don't then why employ attendings or even residents? If they show up everyday and write a few progress notes, then they have done their part and should pass.

If they show up everyday and write a few progress notes, then they have done their part and should pass.

What you wrote is true of an MS-3. But I don't feel that this is true of a 4th year sub-intern. Particularly one who wants to match in a competitive California residency in internal medicine.

I think that it would be universally agreed that 4th year sub-interns have much higher expectations - i.e. you want to see if they can function like an intern. The student in question can barely function like a competent MS-3.

Also, this student can barely accomplish the two, basic, fundamental tasks of a THIRD year student - she complains a lot, and she can't take constructive criticism, even when it comes from the attending. Added on to the fact that she's actually a FOURTH year (who is repeating this rotation!), you have to wonder what is going on in this girl's head.

A medical student is not there to do your work for you.

True...but this med student can't even do her OWN work....

EDIT: YOU aren't the student in question...are you? :scared:

This student shouldn't be passed.

You will be doing her future patients (and colleagues) a favor by helping her to learn that this level of effort is simply not going to cut it in internship and residency.

Why are you allowing this woman to manipulate you with crying and hysterics? Pt's lives will depend on her! She sounds like she needs to fail...

A medical student is not there to do your work for you. Also, it's expected that a student will make some mistakes, because if they don't then why employ attendings or even residents? If they show up everyday and write a few progress notes, then they have done their part and should pass.

I don't mean to be rude, but are you f&%king kidding us?!! The med student in question only covers two or three patients at a time. That's really not much. She is also a fourth-year sub-I, so she should be more efficient at getting work done, especially since she has already done third-year rotations, including a medicine core rotation (twice I might add!). Yes, its normal for med students to make some mistakes along the way, but this girl is showing blatant incompetence. She doesn't know her patients, doesn't get notes and orders into the charts promptly, and cries all of the time. Do you really want someone like this for your doctor?!! :eek:

mad funny...i love this post. good to know people have a sense of humor in medicine and arent all anti-social

not everyone can be a doctor.
she is unfit and incompetent.
as an ms3 we were supposed to be maxed at four patient but routinely had more and said nothing about it.
how can you mess up taking care of one medicine patient!?!? i am sure she is assigned the soft admits with nothing important going on anyways....

Dude, I'm just a lowly first year, but speaking as someone who has had a significant amount of illness in their family, you cannot in good conscience pass this woman. Think of her patients, because in the end it's not about her, it's about her patients and in her condition, there is no way she is fit to go out there as an intern. She is a 007 and you know it. Please, for the sake of us all, give her a fair evaluation and fail her so she can remediate and pass when she is actually competent and sane.

By the way, you say that she is an older, nontraditional student? How old is she exactly? Because I would think that an older student would show more emotional maturity than this woman is exhibiting.

By the way, you say that she is an older, nontraditional student? How old is she exactly? Because I would think that an older student would show more emotional maturity than this woman is exhibiting.

Ah, but there're two types of "older non-trads". The mature ones who are secure in themselves, and recognize that they have to work harder than your average 25yo to get through med school. Then there are the ones who think that popping out a couple kids and having worked at a "real job" for a few years means they should get a free pass.

Obviously this chick is the latter type.

Why are you allowing this woman to manipulate you with crying and hysterics?

Yes, this is generally not a tactic that women use to manipulate people. Oh, wait ...

Yes, this is generally not a tactic that women use to manipulate people. Oh, wait ...

Wow, everytime I read one of your posts, I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside.