Failed Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillgoing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to match into PMR if you failed Step 1 on your first try? Many of the programs I've looked at have a Step 1 cut off of 80. Others don't mention a cut off.

Are there any programs that would consider me as an applicant? Does anyone know of someone matching into PMR with this on their application?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to match into PMR if you failed Step 1 on your first try? Many of the programs I've looked at have a Step 1 cut off of 80. Others don't mention a cut off.

Are there any programs that would consider me as an applicant? Does anyone know of someone matching into PMR with this on their application?

Thanks.

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Top PM&R programs are competitive, and a Step I failure is a knock against you. However, PM&R tends to look beyond board scores. Depends on the rest of your application, and how you perform on the retake and Step 2, as to whether or not you’ll be considered. PM&R isn’t ultra-competitive relative to other specialties. These other programs don’t mention a cutoff because they don’t use one. If you are truly interested and committed to PM&R, you’ll likely find a place somewhere.

how about a possible failed step 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking at going into PM&R because you really like it and it fits with your philosophies, then you should do well. If you have failed boards, but then pass on a re-try, you should not have a problem getting in somewhere. You won't likely make it into a top-tier program, but there will be a place for you.

If, however, you always wanted to be a cardiologist, but failed boards, talked to people and they said "Well, there's always PM&R..." you're gonna have to BS your way in, and then you'll be stuck in a field you don't really want to be in.

Most physiatrists fall in to one of two categories: 1) Found out about PM&R, loved it, got in, very happy now. And 2) didn't or couldn't get in to their preferred field, so used PM&R as a back-up. Some will find solice in PM&R, but it will show in their work that their heart is not in it. Most will still graduate residency, but may spend a life going "if only...".

I see a lot on these boards of people asking if they can still get in to PM&R with poor and/or failed board scores. The short answer, is yes, you'll likely find a spot somewhere. But the bigger question is how are you going to do in the field? Are you going to enjoy your work? Are you going to pass PM&R boards after residency?

If you have not passed one or more of the board exams, from USMLE or COMLEX step 1 through ABPM&R part 2 (oral), there's been a failure in the system. Either 1) you were not taught the material, 2) you failed to study and learn what was presented to you, or 3) you have a problem taking tests.

For 1) that's likely quite rare or you were absent a significant part of your training. For 2) all you can do is study more and/or look at why you did not know the material. For 3) there are companies that can help you.

I hope you do well and get in to your desired field, but it depresses me to see this so often in PM&R. I was not a stellar student, but all my board scores fell right about the 50th %ile. I love what I do in PM&R and wanted it badly enough to do whatever it took to get where I am.

I am wondering if its possible to keep going.
I hate to give up but I also want to have a life or live whats left of it. Although I had extra time all through my educational background the USMLE would not grant this disability privilege even though I had the documentation from as early as grade 6. Is it still possible to make a match in something? Or should I find a new career? Oh and this may make some diff as well, I went to an IMG school.

I hate to give up but I also want to have a life or live whats left of it. Although I had extra time all through my educational background the USMLE would not grant this disability privilege even though I had the documentation from as early as grade 6. Is it still possible to make a match in something? Or should I find a new career? Oh and this may make some diff as well, I went to an IMG school.

what disability?

I'm not going to say find another career, but maybe start looking into other residencies, like family medicine. Or are you saying the USMLE won't give any more chances to take Step 1?? If that's the case, then I guess the decision is made up for you.

Working for a pharmaceutical company might be an option. Surgical equipment rep, drug rep, etc.

I'm also curious about your disability. Even so, failing once is one thing. Failing four times while coming from a non-LCME accredited school? You should probably rethink this.

Did you pass on your fifth attempt? If so, there is something to be said for your stick-to-itiveness. If you haven't passed yet – your residency chances and medical career options are, quite frankly, crap.

Perhaps – if you eventually pass step I – you can try to pass the other steps and find a position in some bottom-tier, scut-heavy, malignant program somewhere. Ultimately try to get your license, which would provide you with more options down the road. However – most states have a limit on the amount of time/attempts you have to pass all of the steps. Because you've failed step I four times, you're already disqualified in most states. And as an IMG, you can't just do a one-year internship. See the link below.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

If you choose to keep going, you have a very rough road ahead of you, with no room for error. I would move on to something else.

what disability?

Dysthymia, and anxiety. Some psychologists have mentioned ADD, however I was not keen on the side effects not only my health care will not cover it and its in excess of 100 a month.

I’m also curious about your disability. Even so, failing once is one thing. Failing four times while coming from a non-LCME accredited school? You should probably rethink this.

Did you pass on your fifth attempt? If so, there is something to be said for your stick-to-itiveness. If you haven’t passed yet – your residency chances and medical career options are, quite frankly, crap.

Perhaps – if you eventually pass step I – you can try to pass the other steps and find a position in some bottom-tier, scut-heavy, malignant program somewhere. Ultimately try to get your license, which would provide you with more options down the road. However – most states have a limit on the amount of time/attempts you have to pass all of the steps. Because you’ve failed step I four times, you’re already disqualified in most states. And as an IMG, you can’t just do a one-year internship. See the link below.

If you choose to keep going, you have a very rough road ahead of you, with no room for error. I would move on to something else.

No, I have not taken it for the 5th time, I would like to however I have not made up my mind yet. What does "some bottom-tier, scut-heavy, malignant program somewhere" mean? My goals are not extravagant, I hope to live in the country and spend 1/2 my time ranching, so small town rural area will be my dream. I dont even care if I have to go overseas, the only thing that matters to me is being able to live out in the country side. If thats at all possible then I am going to keep plugging away.

Advice is appreciated, even if someone thinks I should start digging ditches my undergrad is engineering, so an excavation company would be A-ok with me too.

I’m also curious about your disability. Even so, failing once is one thing. Failing four times while coming from a non-LCME accredited school? You should probably rethink this.

Did you pass on your fifth attempt? If so, there is something to be said for your stick-to-itiveness. If you haven’t passed yet – your residency chances and medical career options are, quite frankly, crap.

Perhaps – if you eventually pass step I – you can try to pass the other steps and find a position in some bottom-tier, scut-heavy, malignant program somewhere. Ultimately try to get your license, which would provide you with more options down the road. However – most states have a limit on the amount of time/attempts you have to pass all of the steps. Because you’ve failed step I four times, you’re already disqualified in most states. And as an IMG, you can’t just do a one-year internship. See the link below.

I also forgot to mention the dyslexia that was diagnosed in grade 6 while living in Texas. That was the reason for extended time given during exams, as well as alternative learning methods implemented by various educational assistants.

come on moderators close this thread, does it get more trolly?!
:troll:

I also forgot to mention the dyslexia that was diagnosed in grade 6 while living in Texas. That was the reason for extended time given during exams, as well as alternative learning methods implemented by various educational assistants.

unfortunately, I don't think program directors really care about any excuses for failing the step, including learning disabilities.