ABPM&R part 2 oral boards fail rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed67783

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ABPM&R released the 2022 part 2 data. The fail rate was ~16%! It looks like the failure rate has been consistently over 15% every year since they changed the format in 2020. I understand it was like 4-5% prior to the changes. Part 1 failure has stayed consistent around 4-5%.

It seems suspicious to suddenly start failing >10% more residency graduates each year when part 1 performance hasn't changed.

I feel like some sort of analysis/justification is warranted, and it seems odd that ABPM&R has not discussed this change on their website.

Does anyone know of any statements via ABPM&R or their leadership regarding the sharp drop in pass rate since the new format was implemented?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s probably two factors: 1) significant format change and limited resources available for those changes, 2) COVID potentially hurting clinical education, case loads, and ability for students to gather for preparation. The pass rate of the written boards hasn’t changed…so it’s definitely something related to this particular test and not necessarily resident competence.

Fancy math + mental gymnastics = wE nEeD pArT 2 rEsIdEnTs ArEn'T gOoD eNoUgH aNyMoRe

Members don't see this ad :)
What a joke! All for an exam that, for the life of me, I still can't figure out why I had to take. There's a lot of wasted money in medical education, but nothing quite like this exam. If they're after money that bad, why don't they just up the fee for the written boards and cancel this dumb exam?

Reactions: 5 users
What a joke! All for an exam that, for the life of me, I still can't figure out why I had to take. There's a lot of wasted money in medical education, but nothing quite like this exam. If they're after money that bad, why don't they just up the fee for the written boards and cancel this dumb exam?
Wait until you learn about maintenance of certification

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If they give you a scenario where you are in the ER and someone comes in after a fall with a bone sticking out of their arm, just remember to be really broad. It’s could be a plexopathy, or a DVT, or lupus. If you tell them it’s a broken bone you will fail.

Reactions: 3 users
From my experience as first group through the new format this test could be passed by an above average MS4 or PGY1 who can come up with a huge differential and practices medicine with an unlimited budget. If they insist on using the oral exam in it's current format make PGY2 or 3 take it.

Either we really are that incompetent or there is something wrong with the test. But I don't have a PhD in statistics so who am I to say anything?

Let's stop this nonsense. Please sign the below petition to eliminate the ABPM&R part 2.

From my experience as first group through the new format this test could be passed by an above average MS4 or PGY1 who can come up with a huge differential and practices medicine with an unlimited budget. If they insist on using the oral exam in it's current format make PGY2 or 3 take it.

Either we really are that incompetent or there is something wrong with the test. But I don't have a PhD in statistics so who am I to say anything?

I also took this monstruosity the year it was first online, in 2020 during Covid times, and luckily passed it the first time to never have to think about it again but it was a joke. I even had technical difficulties during the exam and couldn't see my examiners the second part of the exam! I could only hear them. The questions were ridiculous, overly broad and unclear what they were asking half the time or what they were fishing for in reality.

I think every time stats are released people come up with a petition to get rid of this thing but there aren't enough people involved to actually sign it and get some dialogue going. I signed it but I think less than 1000 signatures were gathered overall out of what 13000 or so PM&R docs?

However for those of you who are going through MOC like myself at least they heard us and went from 2 minutes to THREE minutes per question!!!

Let's stop this nonsense. Please sign the below petition to eliminate the ABPM&R part 2.

The only way meaningful change will occur is if us attendings write to this org and press them with our thoughts. Petitions are just mickey mouse BS in the end.

Why would they want to give up their power and money

Spaulding/RIC/Mayo gonna Spaudling/RIC/Mayo. Remember - we're not as smart as them.

ABPM&R released the 2022 part 2 data. The fail rate was ~16%! It looks like the failure rate has been consistently over 15% every year since they changed the format in 2020. I understand it was like 4-5% prior to the changes. Part 1 failure has stayed consistent around 4-5%.

It seems suspicious to suddenly start failing >10% more residency graduates each year when part 1 performance hasn't changed.

I feel like some sort of analysis/justification is warranted, and it seems odd that ABPM&R has not discussed this change on their website.

Does anyone know of any statements via ABPM&R or their leadership regarding the sharp drop in pass rate since the new format was implemented?
Failure rate way too high (and consistently so) for this ridiculous test. ABPMR hasnt commented on the failure rate to my knowledge. I’m sure they like collecting the repeat exam fees $$$
#moneygrab