Failed Gen. Chem 1 and Calc 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combine Elite Force

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had a rough first year first semester. 3 days of classes only, MWF from 830AM to 830PM. 5 classes consecutively and 2 Labs. My classes are: Bio, Calc 1, Gen. Chem 1, Psychology and English. I passed the other 3 with flying colors. But I screwed up so bad with Calc 1 and Gen. Chem 1 with a final grade of 37 and 47. I am a student from Canada, specifically from Saskatchewan. Is it game over now?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a rough first year first semester. 3 days of classes only, MWF from 830AM to 830PM. 5 classes consecutively and 2 Labs. My classes are: Bio, Calc 1, Gen. Chem 1, Psychology and English. I passed the other 3 with flying colors. But I screwed up so bad with Calc 1 and Gen. Chem 1 with a final grade of 37 and 47. I am a student from Canada, specifically from Saskatchewan. Is it game over now?

failing the main pre-reqs of pharmacy school is a HUGE no-no... you may want to reconsider something else as pharmcas averages out all the failed courses which will detrimentally bring your gpa down

Reactions: 1 user
failing the main pre-reqs of pharmacy school is a HUGE no-no... you may want to reconsider something else as pharmcas averages out all the failed courses which will detrimentally bring your gpa down
So its basically game over now? I still want to push through this, but I truly want to know if its even worth a shot again. I'm fully aware that a failure in those two is a huge NO in Pharmacy, but it already happened and I can't go back and change it. I can and will retake them if there is still a slightest chance that I could get accepted.

Thanks for the reply!
M.Y.

Members don't see this ad :)
So its basically game over now? I still want to push through this, but I truly want to know if its even worth a shot again. I'm fully aware that a failure in those two is a huge NO in Pharmacy, but it already happened and I can't go back and change it. I can and will retake them if there is still a slightest chance that I could get accepted.

Thanks for the reply!
M.Y.
I mean if you can't handle gen chem 1 (which is supposed to be super easy), how do you expect to do in the ochem series ?!? which requires more critical thinking and not just general knowledge,concepts, & memorization !!?

Reactions: 1 user
I believe if you retake a course, U of S pharmacy may consider the new mark not the failed one...check with pharmacy admissions, they are very responsive to email.

Edit to add: @Hohohee1 is right, failing general chem is very concerning. But since you are a Saskatchewan resident, you may be able to get into U of S (which heavily favours those from in-province) if you are perfect from now on & also do some volunteering etc.

P1 here. Retake these courses! More importantly, as your progress from here on out, show a positive trend of academic achievements. I certainly believe that professional program want to see a student's willingness to change positively and improve over time. Although I did not fail gen chem, I did get Cs as a freshman and my overall GPA was 3.00 after sophomore. I always knew the health field was for me so I stepped up my game. Moving onwards, I sought to do better in O.Chem, which I got Bs. Working hard, I finally bumped up my GPA to 3.3 by the time I graduated from undergrad. I know it's not much greater, but certainly showed my dedication and willingness to improve alongside work and organization responsibilities.

P1 here. Retake these courses! More importantly, as your progress from here on out, show a positive trend of academic achievements. I certainly believe that professional program want to see a student's willingness to change positively and improve over time. Although I did not fail gen chem, I did get Cs as a freshman and my overall GPA was 3.00 after sophomore. I always knew the health field was for me so I stepped up my game. Moving onwards, I sought to do better in O.Chem, which I got Bs. Working hard, I finally bumped up my GPA to 3.3 by the time I graduated from undergrad. I know it's not much greater, but certainly showed my dedication and willingness to improve alongside work and organization responsibilities.

I agree with this so hard. My first year was a flop (no failures, but some dangerously close marks in calculus and physics). My GPA was <<< 3.0 at that point. But throughout that tough year, I learned a lot about study habits, test taking, and time management. By the end of 4th year my cumulative GPA was about 3.8. From what I've heard they definitely recognize upward trends. However, you better retake calc and chem and CRUSH it when you do. Then, you need to focus on doing better in following years. Not sure what your degree is, but in my second year med sci I had to take OChem I + II, genetics, cell bio, biochem, biostats... all were WAY harder than first year general bio/chem etc. You need to mentally prepare to work much harder if you want any chance of getting in.

There is no way any top pharmacy program will be able to overlook failed courses, considering some of them require at least a C in pre-reqs while applying to be considered. You might want to check if your school replaces a failed grade or averages it. Even if you aced the course the second time, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do. You should aim to do better in these courses because physics (another pre-req) requires adequate calc. And organic chem will be based a lot on gen chem 1. I personally thought advanced courses were a bit easier than intro ones...except physics. I hated physics.

Good luck!