Failed COMLEX 1 twice. What are my chances at matching FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rasper

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m a student at an American DO school and failed COMLEX 1 twice and passed on the third try. I’m currently in third year rotations and passing my COMATs. I know I will have to show significant improvement on COMLEX 2, but I have severe test anxiety and am trying to learn how to deal with it. I passed first and second year of school successfully and have a couple extracurricular activities on my CV. I will be participating in Match 2021 and I really want to do family medicine. I’m very nervous about matching into a residency spot and if not, I’m still worried about my chances at getting a spot via scramble. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know of anyone who failed board exams and still ended up getting a residency spot? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, please seek professional help for your severe test anxiety. If nothing else, will have documentation and show you are taking a proactive approach to remedy this situation.

I've known Caribbean students fail their steps multiple times and match. Will definitely be an uphill battle, you WILL have to work your gluteal off like you've never done so before. Do extremely well on all your future boards, consider taking the Steps if not too late. Absolutely SHINE on all your rotations and your audition-rotations, you have to do everything short of rob the bank for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
I’m a DO student at an American DO school and failed COMLEX 1 twice and passed on the third try. I’m currently in third year rotations and passing my COMATs. I know I will have to show significant improvement on COMLEX 2, but I have severe test anxiety and am trying to learn how to deal with it. I passed first and second year of school successfully and have a couple extracurricular activities on my CV. I will be participating in Match 2021 and I really want to do family medicine. I’m very nervous about matching into a residency spot and if not, I’m still worried about my chances at getting a spot via scramble. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know of anyone who failed board exams and still ended up getting a residency spot? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!
Just my opinion from talking to friends in classes above me; pass COMLEX 2 on your first try and apply everywhere. Keep passing your comats. I think you’ll find a spot. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can give up the big name places or premium locations. Don’t worry about anything extracurricular now besides level 2.

You can still match

Can I ask what you attribute to the two consecutive board failures?
The first time I don’t think I took it as seriously as I needed to and did not study adequately. The second time I was advised by my school to take it as soon as possible and was just in an anxious frenzy and had three weeks to get myself together which did not happen. Then on the third attempt I gave myself 2 more months to study and ended up scoring 80 points higher and passing.

Last edited:
Just read this thread. If you're passing COMATs and you passed Level 1, I'd say keep going man! I was briefly under the assumption you were preparing for COMLEX Level 1 for the 3rd time rn.
Thank you for the input! I’m not a great test taker and my 3rd Level 1 retake was not that high of a score even though it was a pass. I’m concerned at my future performance on Level 2 and whether it would be enough to compensate for the 2 failures.

If you're passing COMATs, I'd assume you'd be okay. A friend of mine had a low COMLEX (400s), passed every COMAT (some by a point or two) and got a 220-230 Step 2/passing Level 2 well before 4th year started.
Do you know if there is any upside to having step2 but no step 1?

The first time I don’t think I took it as seriously as I needed to and did not study adequately. The second time I was advised by my school to take it as soon as possible and was just in an anxious frenzy and had three weeks to get myself together which did not happen. Then on the third attempt I gave myself 2 more months to study and ended up scoring 80 points higher and passing.

What did you do during those 2 months that helped your score jump?

Have a friend who failed comlex level 1 once, level 2 twice and matched into IM at her first choice after doing a Sub-I there

Personally I also have seen a failure of comlex level 1 once, Level 2 once and matching into FM/IM in the scramble

100% doable but will most likely be scramble, unless your Sub I spot likes you. You have to pick low key spots

Have a friend who failed comlex level 1 once, level 2 twice and matched into IM at her first choice after doing a Sub-I there

Personally I also have seen a failure of comlex level 1 once, Level 2 once and matching into FM/IM in the scramble

100% doable but will most likely be scramble, unless your Sub I spot likes you. You have to pick low key spots
Thanks for the input!

What did you do during those 2 months that helped your score jump?
Tbh I didn’t do anything radical. I just did tons of questions and took notes and practice tests. I just made myself a goal to pass the test before the end of the year (took it in December 2018) and try to put it all behind me and start the new year with a fresh start. Luckily the universe was on my side and I passed.