FA 2010 is out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only reason I'm not buying FA '10 is because I already have my '09 version unbound and hole-punched, and have been using it (aka really using it-- marking it up, annotating, etc). I've been studying for exams from it, too. I feel like I've invested too much in this to start all over...

On the other hand, I keep hearing it's better to buy the latest version of at least FA, and I'm torn now... will it be okay if I just glance over a copy of FA'10 and leave it at that? :confused:

The only reason I'm not buying FA '10 is because I already have my '09 version unbound and hole-punched, and have been using it (aka really using it-- marking it up, annotating, etc). I've been studying for exams from it, too. I feel like I've invested too much in this to start all over...

On the other hand, I keep hearing it's better to buy the latest version of at least FA, and I'm torn now... will it be okay if I just glance over a copy of FA'10 and leave it at that? :confused:

Why not just transcribe the extra info from the 2010 edition into your 2009 edition. It is not as massive an increase as it was from 08 to 09, so it shouldn't be that much of a task. I agree that if there is one book you ought to get the most recent edition for, this is it. Purchase it and transcribe or go to a B&N store and transcribe it there if that is an option available to you.

my 08 FA has notes from the latest UW qbank and latest kaplan lecture notes..that shud be suffice..cuz if u think about it majority of wt the new FA added is in/form UW isnt it? Only thing that mite be missing are the pics

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just transcribe the extra info from the 2010 edition into your 2009 edition. It is not as massive an increase as it was from 08 to 09, so it shouldn't be that much of a task. I agree that if there is one book you ought to get the most recent edition for, this is it. Purchase it and transcribe or go to a B&N store and transcribe it there if that is an option available to you.

That's the plan :thumbup:

does anyone know if one can purchase it in stores? I'm trying to get 2010 as soon as possible and I don't want to pay tons of money for expedited shipping. Thanx :0

I picked up a fresh copy from Barnes and Nobles the day it came out. Called to see if they have it, reserved it and picked it up. Cost me 40 some bucks though, but I got it same day, so I guess it was kinda worth it.

Go to amazon.com and buy it...I think because it's >$25 you get free shipping on it. Expediting it is a problem since that'll cost you.

If you're a BN member, you can get free expedited shipping and the book comes out to the same as Amazon. If you're savvy, they have coupon codes floating around for an extra 15% off for members and it brought my book price down to ~$34 with free expedited shipping.

Asian cheapness win!

I just picked up the 2010 edition at Barnes & Noble. Online, they indicated that they had it in the store, but they didn't have it out on the shelves. I asked at customer service and they grabbed it out of the store room for me.

Just from flipping through it, it seems there are more tables than the previous version - as in, they took material that was previously in lists and made it a table, not new information. There were also a few things that it seemed they attempted to reword or clarify. There were a few concepts I saw added to/removed from the 2010 edition, but not much was different. They high-yield section at the end is a little more organized - all the lists are together without the pictures thrown in the middle.

Overall, I would say there's not a whole lot of difference between these two versions, especially if you've already been adding information from a qbank. That said, I've been using 2009 along with classes all year so I've been annotating details that are necessary for class exams but probably low yield for Step 1. I opted to get the new version so I could have a clean copy to put high-yield info in while I continue to use the old version to follow along with class.

EDIT - After looking a little more in depth, just wanted to add that the Heme/Onc section got a major overhaul.

Last edited:
I flipped through the Behavioral section last night and compared 2009 to 2010. I noticed about 10 differences. Mostly additions (NNT/NNH, expanded healthcare payment systems section, added ethics scenario), but also I found a deletion (removed normal development benchmarks for children ~5 and up).

As far as buying 2010 version, I'd say buy it if you haven't already put any considerable notes into the 2009 version. I figured $40 vs. 3-4 hours to try and write the 2010 stuff into my 2009 in the library was worth it.

Will try to post more impressions as I get through it.

Last edited:
Honestly, i think that 2009 vs. 2010 is not a big deal. 12 pages? Come on. heme/onc for step 1 is not that terribly hard to learn and if you have UWorld you'll cover it anyway and annotate in. As for the behavioral science argument, you can get all of that from UWorld as well. I wasn't an annotator...i don't like taking more notes than i have to...and i used the 2008 version of FA last year (that was something ridiculous like 30+ pages less than the 2009 version) and I dont regret it one bit. I hadn't even opened my 2008 FA when the 2009 one came out...i just didn't see what the big deal was. First Aid is high yield but IMO UWorld is more high yield and covers all that's in FA. Plus, if you have a good friend who bought the 2010 version, you can seriously just photocopy the behavioral section out if you start panicking.

I started transferring my notes from 2009 to 2010. Some of the notes I took from UW are already in 2010. Example- under cardio murmur- few things added. It doesn't look much but you can answer 3 UW pathophysiology (cardio) question just from those 2-3 lines. I think FA 2010 is better then 2009. It's cheaper then parking at Staples Center.

I would listen to McGillGrad, ZagDoc, Captopril, VeggieGal……..

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it's $22, you don't qualify for free shipping. So it's still $27.

I was getting something else that was way under $25, so now I finally gave in and got FA 2010... At this price, it's definitely worth it:cool:

Amazon is like the stock market. You buy something thinking its cheap, and the next day it is available for a lower price. On the other hand if you try to wait and see if it gets cheaper, the price goes up.

official errata is not out and probably wont be out for a while so can folks please post any errors/corrections they find

Just received my FA 2010 in the mail from BN...now I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm thinking of annotating it with review book info like HY Neuro but not Qbank.

What do you guys add into FA to prevent it from being overburdened with minutiae and no longer "high yield"

Annotate UW into it and nothing else. I probably annotated 50% of UW into my FA, and just the fact that I kept seeing that crap over and over in my last few reviews ingrained it into my memory. I'd say at least 5-6 Qs from my exam were UW concepts that weren't covered in FA but I had luckily written down. There were actually probably way more of those Qs, but like I said I only annotated 50% of UW, so there you go..

Really? So it's not true that FA contains everything you need to know for the test. I'm currently working my way through Kaplan and it definitely seems like they include a lot of VERY nit-picky details. A few of their answers begin with the phrase....This VERY RARE diseases involves......Does UWorld have that?

I certainly plan on getting Uworld in March when I begin my last month prep. I will definitely jot in Uworld!