FA 2010 is out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have to 2008 copy. is the 2010 copy that much different that it is worth spending another $40 on?

i have to 2008 copy. is the 2010 copy that much different that it is worth spending another $40 on?

Absolutely... I had the 2008 and bought a 2009 for my studying before my step. It is updated every year because the step changes very quickly....and because the USMLE uses older versions to mess with us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the 2009 copy of FA, almost completely unused -- but I think I will still purchase the 2010 edition for the very reason the above poster mentioned. It stings to fork over another 40 bucks, but I figure its a small cost in the overall scheme of things.

Even if a new FA gets you 2 more questions right on the test, it's worth the $40 extra. Wouldn't gamble on something that has become the mainstay of Step 1 prep.

I have the 08 FA, and I have anotated it like crazy..from recent kaplan lectures+ usmle world....dunno if its worth now getting a new FA book since so much time and effort have been put into my 08 first aid...but I might just glance over the new one!!

I'm planning to stick with my 2009 FA. I've already had it unbound and I take out the relevant pages as we do systems-based pathology...I go over them along with classes.

I think I'll take a look at the new edition and see how it's different...hopefully not by much:p

Last edited:
I know did the samething..prollly already the in my FA, wt the new edition thanks to uw and '10 KLN

Normally I'm a strong advocate of getting the newest version on the market, but I'm already committed to using DIT 2009 w/ FA 2009 since I take my exam mid-feb. Hopefully I can make up the 12 pages added to the 2009 version by reading all my review books and UW haha

There was no big difference between FA 2008 (560 pg) and FA 2009 (612 pg). I don't think extra 12 pg of FA 2010 will make big difference

You could always go to your med school library and add all the additional information from 2010 to your 2009 copy.

There was no big difference between FA 2008 (560 pg) and FA 2009 (612 pg). I don't think extra 12 pg of FA 2010 will make big difference

Actually there was a big difference in terms of information. The number of pages has little to do with the quality of those changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
it seems to be sold out at borders and barnes and noble..where else can I go to check this book out?

Just got FA 2010 "20th Anniversary Edition." Saw few things from UW (molecular pathology of colorectal cancer), one drug added in Musc section, things added to cardio section. Overall looked good. Time to transfer notes from 2009 to 2010........Happy Holidays

No customer reviews yet on that Amazon link you posted... could somebody who has bought the new edition pls be kind enough to detail any important changes?

No customer reviews yet on that Amazon link you posted... could somebody who has bought the new edition pls be kind enough to detail any important changes?

I second this request. Thank you to lalakers for mentioning a few changes. Like a previous poster, I have FA2009 and have put it into a 3-ring binder and annotated it with notes. I plan to definitely look through 2010 and I'm crossing my fingers that there aren't too many changes, or hopefully the changes are small enough that I can just write them into my 2009 copy. But again, for anyone who already got 2010 (I'm not sure how you got it since I was under the impression it was coming out Jan. 8th), if you notice any changes b/t 2009/2010, please let us know. Thanks!!

Its already out. Mine came in on monday. Its a beast compared to the 2008 version. Studying for step I is really going to suck.

Just ordered from BN.com. Stores don't have it yet...I guess they weren't planning on getting it until Jan. 4th but will def write what I feel I like more or less regarding this "new" edition.

However, I did own the 2008 edition and the update will bring me 60+ pages of joy. According to Amazon, I'm looking at roughly a 100 facts upgrade (from the 2008 have 1000+ facts to the 2010 having >1100 facts!!!) o_O

FA 2010 is lot better then FA 2009. Errata from 2009 is FIXED in 2010 except one on page 504. Overall looks good. Things added in 2010....
1) Cardio Heart murmur few things added
2) Vascular tumors added to cardio section
3) Hem/once pathologic RBC forms added (like kaplan/goljan)
4) TNF-alfa inhibitor drugs added.
5) Some info was redone in table form.
6) Few diagrams were redone.
7) Some details from UW were added too............list goes on.

I used 15% off coupon + 10% off from b&n membership + 5% off for using VISA = $32.47

JUST BUY FA 2010. I have to finish transferring notes from 2009 to 2010 before LAKERS VS cavs game............Merry Christmas

Last edited:
FA 2010 is lot better then FA 2009. Errata from 2009 is FIXED in 2010 except one on page 504. Overall looks good. Things added in 2010....
1) Cardio Heart murmur few things added
2) Vascular tumors added to cardio section
3) Hem/once pathologic RBC forms added (like kaplan/goljan)
4) TNF-alfa inhibitor drugs added.
5) Some info was redone in table form.
6) Few diagrams were redone.
7) Some details from UW were added too............list goes on.

I used 15% off coupon + 10% off from b&n membership + 5% off for using VISA = $32.47

JUST BUY FA 2010. I have to finish transferring notes from 2009 to 2010 before LAKERS VS cavs game............Merry Christmas

Thanks a lot for the info.

I am just now deciding what books I want to use for boards in june and plan to order them after the holiday. What books besides first aid are you guys getting?

I am just now deciding what books I want to use for boards in june and plan to order them after the holiday. What books besides first aid are you guys getting?

I have the Kaplan Lecture Notes Set along with the rest of WebPrep. I also have Rapid Review Pathology. I have Brenner's Pharm cards and MicroCards for review.

Other books I may or may not use:
CMMRS
RR Biochem
Lippincott's Pharm
Kaplan's MedEssentials
BRS Physiology
BRS Gross Anatomy

However I do not want to spread myself thin with sources. So I will mostly use the Kaplan Series/Videos along with Q-bank and then afterwards shift to RR Pathology/UWorld. I would use FA all throughout my review process.

Absolutely... I had the 2008 and bought a 2009 for my studying before my step. It is updated every year because the step changes very quickly....and because the USMLE uses older versions to mess with us.
Actually there was a big difference in terms of information. The number of pages has little to do with the quality of those changes.
Oh please. What a load of crap.

There is absolutely no reason to get the 2010 version if you already have the '09 book. Probably not for the '07 or '08 book either. Not unless you like to waste money. The differences between the editions over the past few years is not going to make any bit of difference on your score on USMLE. I guarantee you that if you had the 2007 book memorized verbatim you'd be a lock to score 240+/99 if you took the test today. Don't fall for the oldest money scheme in the history of medical school. You never need the newest edition of any review book. One or two years old is going to be perfectly fine and save you a ton of change.

I have the Kaplan Lecture Notes Set along with the rest of WebPrep. I also have Rapid Review Pathology. I have Brenner's Pharm cards and MicroCards for review.

Other books I may or may not use:
CMMRS
RR Biochem
Lippincott's Pharm
Kaplan's MedEssentials
BRS Physiology
BRS Gross Anatomy

However I do not want to spread myself thin with sources. So I will mostly use the Kaplan Series/Videos along with Q-bank and then afterwards shift to RR Pathology/UWorld. I would use FA all throughout my review process.
Am doing something similar... kaplan/videos annotate into FA while doing Qbank then Rapid Review/FA with uworld till i take the test.

There is absolutely no reason to get the 2010 version if you already have the '09 book. Probably not for the '07 or '08 book either. Not unless you like to waste money. The differences between the editions over the past few years is not going to make any bit of difference on your score on USMLE. I guarantee you that if you had the 2007 book memorized verbatim you'd be a lock to score 240+/99 if you took the test today. Don't fall for the oldest money scheme in the history of medical school. You never need the newest edition of any review book. One or two years old is going to be perfectly fine and save you a ton of change.

I already have a 240+ score. So, you might want to listen to someone like me instead of someone who hasn't taken the step in over 2 years (i.e. you).

I already have a 240+ score. So, you might want to listen to someone like me instead of someone who hasn't taken the step in over 2 years (i.e. you).
Yeah, because the USMLE is completely reworked from 2 years ago. Whatever you say, slick.

If your already a few months deep into 09, then yeah you're right...the benefits don't outweigh the cost. But if you haven't really taken many notes, etc into the 09..I really don't think it's a bad idea to just get the newest edition. FA wasn't sent down from the heavens; it exists through the extensive editing and revision of students who have recently taken the exam. I'm sure a lot can change in the matter of a year as far as what minutae is tested, and some of this probably shows up in the newest FAs.

If you want to go on recommending everyone to buy the newest edition of every review book, go ahead. I'm just saying its a waste of money and only a clown would try to convince everyone to do so.

If you want to go on recommending everyone to buy the newest edition of every review book, go ahead. I'm just saying its a waste of money and only a clown would try to convince everyone to do so.

This is different, they actually update the book with suggestions from students every year. No one said to buy every review book new, but for 30 bucks (the price you can get it at if you're savvy) this one is worth it. This is coming from someone who hates buying books

Next on Jerry Springer: Medical Student edition - should you buy the latest First Aid or not. Both sides will duke it out.

On tomorrow's show: BRS vs RR Pathology.