F1 and Step1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tangerinedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.. and only 6 days to decide.. Here is the story: I am to graduate from med school in Poland next month and have been offered F1 placement in QEQMH. I also want to apply for residency in the US next year, so would need to fit studying for Step1&2/ taking the actual exams into coming 12 months. I'm pretty definite about the timing of the residency application process as I'm planning to get married to someone, who has two years of med school left in the US. Taking part in the same round of the match would make things feasible for us in terms of being in the same location, etc. So my question is - is it doable at all? To work as an F1 doctor and study for Step 1 at the same time? I looked up band 1A/2B in NHS terms&conditions and supposingly it translates into 56 hours a week. How does it work out in practice? I need to send back the signed contract to the deanery by Friday.. Maybe I should just take time off to study for the boards...? Thou the thought of idle 2(?) years from clinical medicine is pretty scary.. Any input welcomed. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.