Experienced PTs, would you do it again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingjareth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a short, but complicated question for the experienced PTs out there. Given what you know now about the present state of the profession and where you think it is headed, would you still become a PT?

I have a couple of concerns that are giving second thoughts about attending PT next fall. For starters, PT programs seem to be popping up like crazy. I'm afraid that there will soon be was too many PT's out there. Combined with stalled therapy cap limits I'm worried that incomes will stagnate or even drop. I know money isn't everything, but I plan on having a family in the future and having a little does come in handy. I hear that some kids like to eat and the really spoiled ones like to have a roof over their heads.

I'm also concerned about the wear and tear on the body. Most of my observation time was in a neuro rehab hospital and from what I've heard that can be one of the more physically strenuous specialties, but I've also heard of PT's in other specialities ending with problems such as arthritis in the hands at a relatively young age. I'm changing careers after a decade plus in the military so not only am I older than the average new PT, but I also have more than 10 years of extra wear and tear from my Army days (yay for ruck marches!).

Perhaps I'm overthinking this. I've been going 100 mph for the past couple of years trying to get into PT school and now that I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode my mind has way too much time to wander.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No doubt I would do it again. I'm almost 50 work in a rural, primarily outpatient setting with some inpatient and some home health. My hands feel fine but then again, I don't spend my entire day rubbing people like some PTs do, and other than being middle aged, no other aches and pains that I wouldn't otherwise expect to have. If its what you love, do it. I agree that neuro rehab is probably the hardest on your body. Don't worry about the number of PT schools. There are plenty of people that hurt themselves and will always be.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the input. You're probably right. I think I just have too much time on my hands right now to let me mind wander. I think I need to find hobby to keep me occupied for the next 6 months or so.

Reactions: 1 user