Expat Physicians in Shanghai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering about the prevalence of expat physicians in Shanghai and how much they get paid.

Today, a US physician graduating from an Internal Medicine Residency can expect to make about $200,000 - 250,000/year working 14 days (12 hrs) a month. (7 days on, 7 days off)

My cousin who is an executive at a multinational in China told me that US expat physicians in Shanghai are making a ton of money. I am not sure what he means by "a ton".

Does anyone have any idea what the compensation is like for expat physicians who work at these "international hospitals and clinics"? What are the work hours and such?

I'd love to move to Shanghai as I have a lot of family there and my Chinese is fluent, but I grew up in the states and am not sure what the situation is like over there for expat physicians.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

only support you eating and drinking, and you can't pay for your house till you die. that's the ture

only support you eating and drinking, and you can't pay for your house till you die. that's the ture

what part of china are you working?
you complain about you dont earn much. Do the doctor take money from drug comapny and receive "gift" from patients?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm talking about international hospitals though, not government run hospitals like Rui Jin or Ren Min Yi Yuan.

Does anyone know how much doctors at Shanghai United Family Hospital make?

I'm talking about international hospitals though, not government run hospitals like Rui Jin or Ren Min Yi Yuan.

Does anyone know how much doctors at Shanghai United Family Hospital make?

Hi.
I think you will find that foreign trained MD's working in the foreign facilities in SH and BJ are earning at least equivalent if not more than what they'd earn back in their respective countries. Also added to that are the extra entitlements, like accommodation provision, flight ticket entitlements, relocation allowance, licensing and so on.
I know from first hand experience that the foreign facilities which are owned by international interests pay more than the international market rate, to attract and retain the right candidates.
I'm earning just slightly more than I would back overseas in Australasia or elsewhere, but when I add in my villa, two business class flight entitlements (or cash equivalent), car and running cost reimbursements & other miscellaneous entitlements etc. I'm definitely earning more here.

However every coin has two sides as the Chinese idiom goes. There is a certain amount of professional isolation, some not to insignificant challenges living in a developing country, the unknown environmental cost to ones health. The challenges and some would say frustrations of the hosts etc.

Though if you're family is from SH/China and you speak fluent Mandarin (and even Shanghainese) and you are a foreign trained MD, then you have a substantial advantage in many respects over those of us who are non-native Mandarin speakers. I've been here nine years, and previously worked at a foreign JV hospital in SH. Great experience, a little isolating professionally once outside the facility walls and certainly not without it's challenges. Though that was a good five years ago and lots of development and changes have taken place in SH since then. Many foreign medical facilities, more MD's and other allied health care practitioners, and even some associations have been initiated.

But, here I am still, now employed in a Chinese facility elsewhere in China in a management & clinical position.

Hope my post has been helpful.

what is oue specialty? What is the work expectation there in China in terms of production, schedule?
The benefits that you mentioned above, are these available to you as long as you are working ( and not just part of a guarantee period)?

I think they predominately prefer FM and maybe IM but since you are treating expats its usually for minor conditions.

what is oue specialty? What is the work expectation there in China in terms of production, schedule?
The benefits that you mentioned above, are these available to you as long as you are working ( and not just part of a guarantee period)?

FM/GP plus emergency and pre-hospital care.

The benefits form part of my employment package/contract which I negotiated directly with the employer at the time. I've now been in the same hospital 8 years.

Given the alterations in exchange rates, rising CNY/RMB generally, increasing cost of living and significant changes in the demographics (more younger foreign expats, less families based on my observations in the area of China I'm located [not SH or BJ]). Then factoring in that some of the foreign facilities in the likes of SH and BJ are just as likely now to employ an Asian MD/Dr. or a returning Chinese who has trained/educated abroad - the lucrative prospects for "Western expat MD's/Dr's." landing the prime job in China while still present are far less prevalent compared with 5-10 year ago IMHO. Seemingly it would be perhaps a little more competitive to land the position in China, as many facilities have taken on Singaporean, Malaysian and other Asian MD's/Dr's, since they generally cost less, and often speak multiple Asian languages aside from English. Anecdotally many areas of employment are under going or have already undergone localisation, meaning positions are being filled with more Chinese or other Asians. Being a 'westerner' is not the automatic ticket to securing in employment in China as it once was, due to various influences including the global financial crisis (GFC). It is also not such an easy environment to work and live in, and I'm of the view that the environmental cost cannot be underestimated. There are major challenges to the environment, food safety, securing of supply chains and much much more.

I'd say overall that my employment contract and employment situation in China is unique and is not reflective of the norm.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the useful info. Are Expat physicians in China paid a fixed salary? (unlike much of MD's in the US where they are paid bse don production), Is there room for salary increase? re they paid similar or at least close to what physicans earn in the US?
How about housing, schooling for kids, etc. are these benefits that they give you as long as you are employed? or are these just for a few short years from employment?

thanks for the useful info. Are Expat physicians in China paid a fixed salary? (unlike much of MD's in the US where they are paid bse don production), Is there room for salary increase? re they paid similar or at least close to what physicans earn in the US?
How about housing, schooling for kids, etc. are these benefits that they give you as long as you are employed? or are these just for a few short years from employment?

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/china-public-health/whats-different-about-practicing-in-china/

Try this website.

They will be paid close to what physicians earn in the US, but i agree with globalmedic, it seems as though the clinics are hiring graduates from places like Singapore more often because they often know mandarin, english and sometimes cantonese as well.

How is physician practice different in China and the US with regards to :
1. Clinical contact hours 2. Documentation 3. tasks, 4. Taking work home. 5. Life outside of work?>

Thanks