Shanghai Elective 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
helloooo noone??

by the way can anyone suggest what departments should you choose first time for an elective attachment?

I'd recommend internal medicine.
Chinese hospitals have insane internal medicine.... the crowd.. yeah.. the most populous country on the planet.
Also, this is a really good hospital. Have a good time.
July August in Shanghai is not pleasant weather. blahhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know how it goes. I'm interested. I'm starting med school in the fall.

Let me know how it goes. I'm interested. I'm starting med school in the fall.

me too. I'm interested. I'm going to school in Northeast China. I'd love elective rotations.

How does one get a rotation there? Just ask & apply? Need to pay tuition (how much)?

Is the rotation recognized by all Chinese med schools, and by 50 states in US (I hope to go back to US and practice)?

I'd recommend internal medicine.
Chinese hospitals have insane internal medicine.... the crowd.. yeah.. the most populous country on the planet.
Also, this is a really good hospital. Have a good time.
July August in Shanghai is not pleasant weather. blahhh

Internal medicine is it..still confused haven't decided anything.
In this program we can choose like 2-3departments for the 4weeks...is that too much to handle in 4 weeks?
Any other departments I should give a thought about?
Pediatrics? Obstetrics?

Last edited:
me too. I'm interested. I'm going to school in Northeast China. I'd love elective rotations.

How does one get a rotation there? Just ask & apply? Need to pay tuition (how much)?

Is the rotation recognized by all Chinese med schools, and by 50 states in US (I hope to go back to US and practice)?

Check out this link http://www.edu-shanghaieasthospital.com/
You will get all the information you need from here.
Yes you have to pay a fee.

Last edited:

Ask our fao Director Mr. Zhu in Fudan U. www.fao.fudan.edu.cn
He is in charge of med electives: [email protected]
Zhongshan and Huashan Hospital and other affliated hospitals are top ones in China.
Some one send him email and got approved for 4 weeks electives, if you are a med student in China, you can even ask for more months of internship.
BTW, if you will come to Shanghai someday please send me a thread.
And for free, except for your own arrangement of travel and accomendation.

Hi all,

Rotations in the General Surgery department are the most popular at the Shanghai East Hospital, but also Internal Medicine and Anesthesia are a possibility. While very few students take the Anesthesia rotation, it seems to be one of the best rotations to choose, as the department is highly motivated to teach int'l students. English is sufficiant to do the rotation, as most doctors speak it quite well.
I recommend to stay 8 weeks or longer (up to 16 weeks) for the best experience - but application for 4 week rotations are also accepted.
The link to the website above is outdated, but still existing. The new website from the Shanghai East Hospital is to be found at http://www.medopolo.com
There is a fee for attending the electives and application is possible up to 6 months before the start of the rotation.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-17_11-49-0.png
    upload_2015-6-17_11-49-0.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 81
Necro bump..

Has anyone done this elective (or a similar one in China) recently? Do you have to do it in 4th year? For example, if I had a random gap between MS2 and MS3, could I do it then? (I wouldn't have any core rotations done at this point)