EVMS vs VTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aparks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me just start by saying that I have done the research on these two schools, but there is only so much you can find out about a school via internet and the interview tour. I am looking for some insider opinions- current med students, ideas from those who have worked or know someone who has worked with the school, etc. I have come to find out that tips like these can be just as important in making a good decision. Thanks in advance for your input and help!

Members don't see this ad.

The number 1 priority in your decision should be quality of education and match list.

VTC is so new there is no way to say what the quality of the school is. Class sizes are small, facilities are new, so that is definitely a plus. However, because they are so new, you can't really evaluate their curriculum or potential to match at a strong program upon graduation. They are also not accredited at this time. Carillion hospital system is so-so at best. It's a private institution that is trying to move to an education model but I'm not sure how well that works. Quality of the staff is bimodal and evidence based practice is often trumped by variety of other factors I won't go into now. Many of your most excellent and most intelligent teachers/residents are interns whom are there for a prelim medicine/surgery or transitional year because it's very "cush" and therefore very competitive making this crowd a creme-de-la-creme group. However, you will also find a handful of excellent faculty. Roanoke is also very conservative with limited amenities and a bit backward.

EVMS is a tried and true medical school so you know very well where it stands in the country in terms of quality of education and match list probability. Norfolk location wise is definitely better than Roanoke. However, you run into the same problem with the Sentara system that predominates in the Tidewater region of Virginia where they are above-all a private institution. I know people who go there and are very happy.

When it comes down to these two institutions, one is a known entity and another has yet to prove itself. Both will give you an MD and a medical education allowing you to become a good physician.

Last edited:
While I agree with everything the above poster wrote, I interviewed at VTC and I think it will give you EVERY opportunity and more. Roanoke is awesome BTW, so really I think it just depends on which one you feel more comfortable at. EVMS is a great school too! You can't go wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very familiar with Roanoke. :) I went to high school there, but I left to go across the country for undergrad. I'm not sure if being so close to home is going to be a benefit or distraction. I do agree with everything you both have said. The schools are just so different it is hard for me to make comparisons. I like the teaching approach at vtc much better, however I'm not sure how effective it will be at helping me prepare for boards. Plus the m3m4 schedule is a toss up. I think vtc has the potential to be a great school, but I'm not sure I want to take that gamble. I have to make a decision by Wednesday, it is definitely going to be a tough one. I wish you all the best of luck with your tough decisions at this time as well!

Being home for me would be a huge advantage!

Ok. So as an update I was pretty sure that I was going to Virginia tech. However, this morning I got an acceptance from vcu. There are just too many decisions. Does anyone else feel like this whole decision making process is super challenging? What do you all think about vtc vs. Vcu?

Ok. So as an update I was pretty sure that I was going to Virginia tech. However, this morning I got an acceptance from vcu. There are just too many decisions. Does anyone else feel like this whole decision making process is super challenging? What do you all think about vtc vs. Vcu?

I don't think that your choice should be any different than it was when you were comparing VTC and EVMS. EVMS and VCU are pretty comparable schools. Unless you really got a better feeling for VCU when you interviewed, more than EVMS and VTC, I'd say stick with your decision. I think staying near home is a big advantage.

Congrats on the acceptances by the way.

VCU is definitely the strongest school of the bunch. VCU has a strong reputation when compared to EVMS or VTC especially with PD's. They do very well in the match every year and has an excellent curriculum. They are also associated with a very strong level 1 trauma ACADEMIC medical center with a very diverse case-load. Physicians at VCU are also excellent clinicians and teachers.

To summarize: VCU is stronger than EVMS academically and again VTC is yet an unknown. VCU hospital is much stronger than Carilion or Sentara (both private enterprises with clinicians that are hired to be clinicians and not teachers until of recent). VCU reputation is solid whereas VTC is unknown and EVMS is not as strong.

While EVMS and VTC may be a toss-up, VCU vs EVMS/VTC should be an easy win for VCU IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.