EVMS Medical Masters 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FineLiner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if there's already a thread but I did not see one for next year's so I figure I'll start :) Is anyone applying there/have applied there already? I'm hoping to apply to the one year program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully more people will chime in. I'm applying to this program and would love to hear from present or past students..

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a past MedMasters student and current EVMS medical student what questions do you guys have?

I’m a past MedMasters student and current EVMS medical student what questions do you guys have?
Hi! I would love to know which medical schools (MD and DO) students were accepted into for the year immediately following completion of the program (other than EVMS). I am applying to the 1 year Med Masters, and am planning to apply to medical school the summer before completion of the program.

Hi! I would love to know which medical schools (MD and DO) students were accepted into for the year immediately following completion of the program (other than EVMS). I am applying to the 1 year Med Masters, and am planning to apply to medical school the summer before completion of the program.

Many who got into evms and stayed got in at a variety of DO schools and other Virginia based medical schools. For those that did not get into evms most got into DO schools, a few people got into their home states schools and one got into Georgetown but for these later group I think they likely did get into evms but chose to attend another MD program in lieu of evms.

Historically ~50-70% get in to a medical school the fall immediately falling the MM program with the vast majority going to EVMS (usually around half the MM class gets in to evms). The cycle following MM program another 20-40% get in somewhere a few to evms but usually elsewhere. After 2-3 years roughly 90+% get in to a medical school somewhere.

It’s highly recommend that you apply the summer before starting the MM program but make sure it’s to schools that are actually willing to entertain your application while currently enrolled in a SMP program. I wasted a lot of money applying to schools which would not look at my application until after I completed my SMP which is rather ridiculous. Just a heads up.

Reactions: 1 user
1. By far the biggest factor was gpa attain while doing the program. I know of no one who didn’t get accepted to evms who got a gpa >3.75. Personality would be the second biggest factor being well like and personable willl help but even more importantly pissing people off can pretty much guarantee you won’t get it.

After these two things like EC and MCAT come into play but your best bet to getting accepted is to do well in the program.

2. No I feel in-state/out-of-state doesn’t matter the class was pretty evenly split when we started and pretty evenly split when we got accepted, it may play a small factor but nothing major. A really important note is it is next to impossible to become a Virginia resident while doing this program. If you start the medical masters program as an out-of-state student you will in all likelihood be an out-of-state student if you attend EVMS for medical school. This sucks because EVMS is a rather expensive school for out-of-state students but the way I look at it is that taking an extra year to get into medical school is more expensive than having to be an out-of-state student at EVMS.

3. Honestly I don’t I have blocked out almost all of my experience from applying to medical school it’s seven horrible years I never want to think about again. What I would recommend is narrowing down your list as you would normally and then take the time to sit down and write out a generic letter asking schools if they entertain the students applying while currently enrolled in a SMP and then send this off as an email to every school. Once you hear back which schools will not entertain your application you should mark them off your list. Only personal advice I can give you is that a lot of California schools don’t seem to entertain applications from students currently in SMPs.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have I’m usually pretty open to answering most questions so long as they don’t require me to divulge any really personal information.

1. By far the biggest factor was gpa attain while doing the program. I know of no one who didn’t get accepted to evms who got a gpa >3.75. Personality would be the second biggest factor being well like and personable willl help but even more importantly pissing people off can pretty much guarantee you won’t get it.

After these two things like EC and MCAT come into play but your best bet to getting accepted is to do well in the program.

2. No I feel in-state/out-of-state doesn’t matter the class was pretty evenly split when we started and pretty evenly split when we got accepted, it may play a small factor but nothing major. A really important note is it is next to impossible to become a Virginia resident while doing this program. If you start the medical masters program as an out-of-state student you will in all likelihood be an out-of-state student if you attend EVMS for medical school. This sucks because EVMS is a rather expensive school for out-of-state students but the way I look at it is that taking an extra year to get into medical school is more expensive than having to be an out-of-state student at EVMS.

3. Honestly I don’t I have blocked out almost all of my experience from applying to medical school it’s seven horrible years I never want to think about again. What I would recommend is narrowing down your list as you would normally and then take the time to sit down and write out a generic letter asking schools if they entertain the students applying while currently enrolled in a SMP and then send this off as an email to every school. Once you hear back which schools will not entertain your application you should mark them off your list. Only personal advice I can give you is that a lot of California schools don’t seem to entertain applications from students currently in SMPs.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have I’m usually pretty open to answering most questions so long as they don’t require me to divulge any really personal information.
What are the classes like and how are they structured? Any easy courses/extremely hard courses? Do you know anyone that has been able to successfully opt out upon matriculation?

What are the classes like and how are they structured? Any easy courses/extremely hard courses? Do you know anyone that has been able to successfully opt out upon matriculation?

For the most part they take the same classes as the M1 and take the same exams. They do not do the clinical skills portion of classes and they do take a different anatomy course as well as a general health/public speaking course the name of which escapes me (it mainly just prepares you with general health enconomic info for interviews and is very laid back). Since they are doing the same course, for the most part, as the M1s the classes are hard. But, you can opt out of up to two courses per semester (we have three course in both fall and spring semester) as an M1 so long as you get honors (>92%) the only class you cant opt out of it anatomy because the Med Master anatomy isn’t equivalent. I personally know many people who have opted out of 1 to as many as 4 classes in their M1 year.

Also all the class are system based with 90% or more of all the exams being nbme questions which is a really big plus imo.

Applied and was completed 2/15! Does anyone know how long they usually take to send their decisions?

Applied and was completed 2/15! Does anyone know how long they usually take to send their decisions?
Was your PostBacCas verified? if not you have to wait for that first but once it's verified, it takes two weeks or a little less

Yeah I actually applied before that, but PostBacCas verified me 2/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! When were you verified? And could you share your stats with us ?

Waitlisted....does anyone know how their waitlist movement looks like?

Waitlisted....does anyone know how their waitlist movement looks like?
They should have given you a list of things to make you more competitive. Do them and keep your fingers crossed, they accept students up to the day of matriculation

I applied for the MM 2 year, accepted Jan 5. And today I was accepted to Loyola MAMS programs. I was wondering if there is any alum or current (specifically from the 2 yr program) that would be willing to chat a bit about their experience.

Has anyone who has accepted admission received any of the supplemental paperwork via email? There are some hard deadlines for vaccinations and what not.
They have to send you your network credentials. I didn't get mine until I called them and told them I didn't receive them yet, I think there was something wrong with sending it out.
Once you get your network credentials you will be able to figure out where to go to complete the stuff.

Has anyone who has accepted admission received any of the supplemental paperwork via email? There are some hard deadlines for vaccinations and what not.
I got my credentials after 4 business days

A little late with this but I got accepted into the 1 year MM program Feb 5th!

Hi guys! I was wondering what the med school acceptance stats are like for people in the 2 year program. Do most of them (the ones that do well) get in during their 2nd years?

Hi guys! I was wondering what the med school acceptance stats are like for people in the 2 year program. Do most of them (the ones that do well) get in during their 2nd years?
The stats include the 2 years. So on average 90% of all students

Need help deciding between this program and Georgetown's SMP. 507 MCAT, ~3.1 sGPA, ~3.2 cGPA. Good EC's, hopefully publication out within next year. Might retake the MCAT, but called admission's at EVMS and they said my MCAT was not "flagged" so it should be fine when applying next year to EVMS. Should I go to Georgetown simply for the name of the program or play it safer and grind it out here to have a better chance of an MD school?

Need help deciding between this program and Georgetown's SMP. 507 MCAT, ~3.1 sGPA, ~3.2 cGPA. Good EC's, hopefully publication out within next year. Might retake the MCAT, but called admission's at EVMS and they said my MCAT was not "flagged" so it should be fine when applying next year to EVMS. Should I go to Georgetown simply for the name of the program or play it safer and grind it out here to have a better chance of an MD school?
I can't really tell you which one to pick but i would tell you to look at the curriculums. I looked at Georgetown's webpage and it was a little hard to navigated (i'm still not sure if its 1 or 2 years). I don't find the course descriptions appealing but EVMS's courses look cool and actually excite me especially because i would be medical school classes. So i would say apply to both if you haven't.

I can't really tell you which one to pick but i would tell you to look at the curriculums. I looked at Georgetown's webpage and it was a little hard to navigated (i'm still not sure if its 1 or 2 years). I don't find the course descriptions appealing but EVMS's courses look cool and actually excite me especially because i would be medical school classes. So i would say apply to both if you haven't.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I am accepted into both programs. I just don't know whether medical schools would consider good performance in EVMS' medical masters program as highly as good performance in Georgetown's SMP (or whether the place you go for such a program matters too much at all). If schools do not care much, then I would much rather go to EVMS' masters because of its close linkage with the medical school.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I am accepted into both programs. I just don't know whether medical schools would consider good performance in EVMS' medical masters program as highly as good performance in Georgetown's SMP (or whether the place you go for such a program matters too much at all). If schools do not care much, then I would much rather go to EVMS' masters because of its close linkage with the medical school.
Congrats! If you're in the area, you should check them both out in person because I'm not sure if there's a significant difference in consideration for both. Whichever school you would rather be at (if you matriculate directly) might be best

is it too late to apply now?
Deadline is June or july, im not sure

I just found out I got into RWJ MBS program, which is IS for me.

Is there any benefit to going to EVMS instead? I completed my application but did not send it in.

I just found out I got into RWJ MBS program, which is IS for me.

Is there any benefit to going to EVMS instead? I completed my application but did not send it in.

I would contact RWJ MBS and ask them what their acceptance statistics are, being able to stay IS (and hopefully get IS tuition) is a big draw but you want to make sure you go somewhere that will get you an acceptance. If this program has acceptance numbers similar to EVMS and you like the school/program then I say stay IS!

Hey guys, I was just accepted into the 1 yr program. Stats: ~3.4 gpa, 506 mcat. I was looking into getting some more insight from previous students. What is the courseload like? Do you think it is manageable to do well in the program and still devote time to other extracurricular activities? I know that these programs in general are very rigorous and I'm willing to work hard but its still daunting to hear >3.75 gpa is what is considered competitive for entering into their med program after.

Accepted on April 27th! Good luck to everyone!

Hello everyone! Just accepted my offer to EVMS 1 year program. Excited to start it. I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet: Is there a gym at the school?

Also, looking for roommates and housing suggestions if anyone has any!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! Just accepted my offer to EVMS 1 year program. Excited to start it. I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet: Is there a gym at the school?

Also, looking for roommates and housing suggestions if anyone has any!

There is no gym at the school but there are a few gyms near by that offer student rates that aren't outrageous.

Hello all so can someone briefly explain how they wrote their second essay for the application? I just want to make sure I'm not repeating the same things as I said in my general personal statement. I know they want to know why you chose this program, but does that mean we have to go in depth about wanting to go to medical school again? Also are they expecting some explanation or excuse for our grades? Pls help this is the only thing standing in between me and submitting

@Jarra Oh use the essay to explain why you want to go to this specific SMP instead of others.

Hey guys, I was just accepted into the 1 yr program. Stats: ~3.4 gpa, 506 mcat. I was looking into getting some more insight from previous students. What is the courseload like? Do you think it is manageable to do well in the program and still devote time to other extracurricular activities? I know that these programs in general are very rigorous and I'm willing to work hard but its still daunting to hear >3.75 gpa is what is considered competitive for entering into their med program after.
Former Med Master here; incoming MD student. The courseload is heavy, and material is released one week at a time generally. Any way you slice it, it is very involving. The first semester you will spend a lot of time in the Anatomy lab if you want to be successful, and the second semester dives into the details of each system (Skin, Bone, Muscle & GI). As far as EC's it completely depends on how much time you're hoping to devote to other things. You can do that if you manage your time, but it's tough. Don't worry about the gpa average. Instead worry about not getting any B's and trying to stay above the test average that is typically released after each exam. Contrary to what everyone will tell you, grades are not the only factor that is considered. You should strive to be professional, display a positive attitude and willingness to work, integrate yourself into the wider community, and attenuate whatever your weaknesses are. Be a strong, well rounded candidate. Lastly, understand that as long as you are successful in the program, you will become very competitive for a large number of schools upon completing your degree.

I just got accepted to the 1 year program!
Is there any chance to work on the weekends? I don't want to have to take out living expense loans :'(

Does anyone who got accepted want to get acquainted like on the facebook?
I'm from Seattle, WA

I would caution against trying to work while in the 1 year program. Again, it's not impossible, but even a weekend job will eat up a lot of your time in the long run. You don't want to do anything to put yourself at a disadvantage relative to your peers, in my humble opinion. Definitely join the facebook group! You can get on more person terms with future and former classmates, and you may also find that many of your questions have been addressed :)

I would caution against trying to work while in the 1 year program. Again, it's not impossible, but even a weekend job will eat up a lot of your time in the long run. You don't want to do anything to put yourself at a disadvantage relative to your peers, in my humble opinion. Definitely join the facebook group! You can get on more person terms with future and former classmates, and you may also find that many of your questions have been addressed :)

Is it just the main facebook page or is there a specific one for the entering fall class?

If you've been accepted already you can request to join the "EVMS MM One-year C/O 2019" page.

I just got accepted to the 1 year program!
Is there any chance to work on the weekends? I don't want to have to take out living expense loans :'(

Does anyone who got accepted want to get acquainted like on the facebook?
I'm from Seattle, WA

Do not under any circumstance attempt to work during this program. It’s just not worth the risk.

Did anyone get the minimum MCAT score for the medical masters program (496 for the 2-year and 503 for the 1-year) and still get accepted?

Those with minimum MCAT scores do manage to get accepted into the Medical Masters program. The first year of the two-year program is partly MCAT preparation, so there will be a good opportunity to retake at the end of that first year. For the one-year program, however, I would recommend trying to get an MCAT score that is competitive for the medical school PRIOR TO entering the program. The reason I say this is because medical schools (including EVMS) will still use the score as a factor when offering acceptances. If you have a 509 or above, you probably do not need to retake.

My only concern is, my application has been submitted but I am re-taking the MCAT in July and I'm not sure if they will still accept scores that late. Because I will not receive my score for the test until early august. Admissions told me that for the two-year program, they are only accepting scores until the first week of july. but since the one-year program application deadline is later, I'm wondering if they will take scores later.

It shouldn't take too long; I know the office has been busy so just give it some time. You can send Dominique an email if you really want, but I would be patient.

My only concern is, my application has been submitted but I am re-taking the MCAT in July and I'm not sure if they will still accept scores that late. Because I will not receive my score for the test until early august. Admissions told me that for the two-year program, they are only accepting scores until the first week of july. but since the one-year program application deadline is later, I'm wondering if they will take scores later.

This is definitely something I would recommend calling and speaking with Dominique about. She will be able to give you a definitive answer.