EVMS Med Masters 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted to 1-year EVMS! It took 2 weeks to hear back. Does anyone know if EVMS have a very strong linkage with their med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to 1-year EVMS! It took 2 weeks to hear back. Does anyone know if EVMS have a very strong linkage with their med school?
Congrats!! From what I have seen from previous students, EVMS takes a lot of medical masters students into their medical program as long as you do well in the MM program. It seems anyone who did not matriculate into the MD program were accepted elsewhere. They have a few percentages on their website about this information.

Reactions: 1 user

I will echo @Stay_med26 and say to go take a look at the programs website to get the specific numbers but typically around 50% of the MM class will matriculate to EVMS immediately following the program. That number goes up when you look at acceptances to other programs and a year or two out from the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your helpful feedback! Does anyone know how the classes are and the rigors of the curriculum? I would be traveling from out of state so I also want to know the learning environment and living situations too

I have already submitted my application with 4 LORs, but I am now a little concerned about it. Of those four, one was a committee letter, two were doctors, and one was the director of my rescue squad. However, the website says "2 should be from science faculty." Is this a hard cutoff that will definitively result in my rejection from the program, or is there a chance even with me only having one from science faculty?

I would email and ask, since none of us work in admissions they’re very nice and respond quickly to emails!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have already submitted my application with 4 LORs, but I am now a little concerned about it. Of those four, one was a committee letter, two were doctors, and one was the director of my rescue squad. However, the website says "2 should be from science faculty." Is this a hard cutoff that will definitively result in my rejection from the program, or is there a chance even with me only having one from science faculty?

Were there science faculty as a part of the committee? Typically we can take that in place of 2 individual letters.

Yes, for the committee letter I had two recommendations by science faculty, so if that is the case then I assume I should be okay in that regard. Thank you for your response!

You should be ok then. If there are any questions, someone from admissions will reach out! :)

Hey guys! For those of you who submitted your application, how long did it take to get your application verified?

Did anyone receive an email from EVMS about a supplemental application to be submitted, and if so, how do I change the program start date?

I just received this email from EVMS requiring a supplemental application (among other things that are irrelevant to my application) and I am wondering if this is something I actually need to submit. In the email, it says that I should list Fall 2019 as the start date, which is why I believe it may be a mistake. When I went to the link for the supplemental application, there was nowhere to change the start date or program I am applying to.

Edit: I emailed the program about this and it was definitely an erroneous email, which I was instructed to disregard. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone!
I received the same email and couldn’t submit the supplemental, but got a second email this morning saying my application is complete. I reached out to my admissions counselor and she said to disregard the email about the supplemental app, that it was a system glitch.

Hey guys! Im relooking at the cost of attendance to EVMS and want to make sure I have this right. Under projected fees for the 1 year program it says in total the program will cost $67-$75k? And also, the 2 year program says first year is $55-$57k and second year is the same. I just want to make sure I am interpreting it correctly, so does that mean the 2 year program will cost a little over $100k?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, wondering if anyone had any insight into whether or not classes would be online first semester/the whole year? My state school has made announcements as have neighboring schools but that could have something to do with the fact that we’re in the northeast where it’s been hit particularly bad :/ just wondering if EVMS ever made an announcement I might have missed!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Sjo wondering if you ever heard back from MD admissions? You helped us out so much with our questions this year; I hope you get in :)

Let's say you finish this program and matriculate at EVMS as an OOS. If you live 12 months in Virginia, would you qualify for in-state tuition during medical school?

I've tried submitting an updated personal statement but I haven't received a response, should I send another update?
Really nervous but I hope I get in!

Accepted into the one year program and paid my deposit! Very happy with this program and school based on the reviews. Now, most importantly, does anyone surf? VA Beach is calling!!

I am waiting on my science professors LORS, my LOR from a doctor has been submitted. Should I go ahead and submit my application? And then later my recommendations will be added by may 31st?

I am waiting on my science professors LORS, my LOR from a doctor has been submitted. Should I go ahead and submit my application? And then later my recommendations will be added by may 31st?
Yes! Go ahead and submit that app!

Hi guys I am a previous med master now attending EVMS. I'm happy to answer any questions y'all have.

Best location to reside in? Any tips for active studying? Best Gyms in town?

There's a ton of housing in Ghent and rooms range greatly from 400-1000$. Campus housing (apartments) is also not a bad option at all and pretty affordable. There are also a few apartment complexes around that are comparable in price to campus housing. I wouldn't venture too far passed 32nd street as the area starts to get a little rougher. I know of someone who lived on 34th st however and they did not have any problems. I believe there is a housing document on the Facebook group.

Anki. Get a tutor (free). Be on a set schedule of waking up/studying/eating/gym/free time/sleeping. Don't come here not knowing your unique learning style, it won't be fun.

I think they are actually making a gym in the new building believe it or not but don't quote me on that! Otherwise there is Anytime Fitness, OneLife, Orangetheory, and a few other ones in the area (Norfolk is a military town so there are lots of gyms and barbers). I know for a fact Anytime Fitness offers a student discount. Note all the gyms are closed though because of covid...

Hi guys I am a previous med master now attending EVMS. I'm happy to answer any questions y'all have.
Hey, I had a few questions:
Is it possible for an OOS to qualify for in-state tuition by living there the 12 months during the MM program?
How many of the MM interviewees get into EVMS?
How many courses can you opt out of during M1/M2 and would this reduce tuition during those years?
TIA

Is it possible for an OOS to qualify for in-state tuition by living there the 12 months during the MM program?

I don't think so, but I'd ask the financial aid office.

approximately 50%, I think in a thread from prior years someone came up with 33/68.

How many courses can you opt out of during M1/M2 and would this reduce tuition during those years?

All of them except anatomy. However, you must take at least one course a semester. This does not reduce tuition.

I don't think so, but I'd ask the financial aid office.

approximately 50%, I think in a thread from prior years someone came up with 33/68.

All of them except anatomy. However, you must take at least one course a semester. This does not reduce tuition.

Thanks for the input. Based on the EVMS site, it seems 12 months domicile as a requirement for residency, but yeah I'll contact the financial aid office. Also, based on the EVMS site, opted out courses can be replaced with paid research and/or TAing; so what exactly would the tuition be for?
Also, are you opting out of any M1 courses?

so what exactly would the tuition be for?

Also probably a question for EVMS personnel themselves. Note that you still have to take the clinical skills portion of the classes that you opt-out of (med masters do not take these components).

Also probably a question for EVMS personnel themselves. Note that you still have to take the clinical skills portion of the classes that you opt-out of (med masters do not take these components).

Fair enough. And do you know the requirements for opting out of M1 coursework - e.g. do you have to do better than a X% of the M1 class? Do many MM students do this when doing M1 at EVMS?

Fair enough. And do you know the requirements for opting out of M1 coursework - e.g. do you have to do better than a X% of the M1 class? Do many MM students do this when doing M1 at EVMS?

Need a 92% in the class (solid A), no percentiles, or anything like that. Yes, a fair number of MM students get A's and then opt out of classes next year.

Is this including the 2 year class as well? Would you happen to know how many from the 2 year class are accepted?

Yes this includes the 2-year cohort. Not sure about actual metrics from the 2-year class itself.

@Sjo wondering if you ever heard back from MD admissions? You helped us out so much with our questions this year; I hope you get in :)

I was accepted :) Looking forward to meeting you in the fall (assuming this pandemic mess is gone, good grief)! Enjoy your summer!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Need a 92% in the class (solid A), no percentiles, or anything like that. Yes, a fair number of MM students get A's and then opt out of classes next year.
To add onto this, you can only opt out of 1 class in the fall and 2 of the 3 classes in the spring, assuming you get all As.

Waiting for an admission’s decision is so difficult... I really hope I get in!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone who didn't get accepted and could share their stats ? Would really help since I'm trying to sense of acceptance likelihood

Does anyone know if a decision has been made on fall classes being in person?

Was anyone able to defer their acceptance this year?

Does EVMS send you an email when your application is under review? My application was completed entirely about 2 weeks ago, including sending them my full MCAT report and professional picture to their appropriate admissions email. I haven't heard anything in regards to them receiving my application or materials, at all, so I'm thinking of emailing them to ask and make sure everything is okay, unless it is normal to not hear anything until a decision?

Does EVMS send you an email when your application is under review? My application was completed entirely about 2 weeks ago, including sending them my full MCAT report and professional picture to their appropriate admissions email. I haven't heard anything in regards to them receiving my application or materials, at all, so I'm thinking of emailing them to ask and make sure everything is okay, unless it is normal to not hear anything until a decision?

I heard back from the admissions advisor when I submitted my mcat score report but havent heard back since then ( been about a week and a half) :(

I heard back from the admissions advisor when I submitted my mcat score report but havent heard back since then ( been about a week and a half) :(
Okay! Was it a simple acknowledgement email letting you know it was received? Thanks for the info

Yeah! It basically stated what else I needed for my application to be complete. Imo if you haven’t heard back emailing them wouldn’t be a bad idea, they are pretty responsive.

I would send them an email. I’ll be withdrawing my application, but I received an email from an admissions advisor and a separate automated email saying my application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee two weeks ago, then received another email from the admissions advisor last week saying she was about to send it to the committee (I imagine the delay was because I didn’t send test scores). I think you should have received some notification from them that they received your application.

I would send them an email. I’ll be withdrawing my application, but I received an email from an admissions advisor and a separate automated email saying my application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee two weeks ago, then received another email from the admissions advisor last week saying she was about to send it to the committee (I imagine the delay was because I didn’t send test scores). I think you should have received some notification from them that they received your application.
Thank you for the additional help! I just sent them an email. I had tried calling, but they are still working remotely it seems.

Just got accepted! So excited to meet everyone in the fall! :)

Reactions: 3 users

For opting out, you must have received an A in the course as a med master the year prior to your M1 year. You can opt out of any medical school course (including anatomy), but you must take at least 1 course per semester.

Let's say you finish this program and matriculate at EVMS as an OOS. If you live 12 months in Virginia, would you qualify for in-state tuition during medical school?
TIA
Thanks for the input. Based on the EVMS site, it seems 12 months domicile as a requirement for residency, but yeah I'll contact the financial aid office. Also, based on the EVMS site, opted out courses can be replaced with paid research and/or TAing; so what exactly would the tuition be for?
Also, are you opting out of any M1 courses?

You aren't getting instate tuition unless you have lived in Virginia for at least 12 months prior to starting any educational program. There is no way around this really, its a decision made at the state level on what constitutes in-state vs out-state. Even though you would be living in virginia for 12 months before starting your M1 year Virginia doesnt see it that way since you are only in Virginia for those 12 months because of school. I tried getting in-state status through my wife but even that wouldnt work. Also there is no way to reduce tuition at all. Best bet is to use the free time M1 year to tutor/TA and make a small amount of money or get research done and hopefully a publication.

I must say this program seems like a Godsend. The only thing that kind of bums me out is the OOS price. Assuming you matriculate into EVMS for medschool after the 1 year program, the total COA after M4 would be $418,970. Wow. This is not accounting for undergrad and interest rates. Can anyone current MM or MD students speak to this? Are the projected COA accurate or is it lower in reality? Also are there any kinds of grants/scholarships available?