EVMS Med Masters 2009!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd rather not post my stats, but people currently in the program have MCATs ranging from the upper-20's to mid-30's, and maybe some outliers. Undergrad GPAs seem to be ranging from 2.8(ish) to 3.6/3.7(ish).
Why would someone apply to an SMP with a 3.6? If the MCAT was holding you back why not just study and retake? Save the SMP spots for people who need it.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would someone apply to an SMP with a 3.6? If the MCAT was holding you back why not just study and retake? Save the SMP spots for people who need it.

I completely agree with you. However, there are some people out there who cannot do well on the MCAT despite numerous attempts. They need some way to get around a low MCAT like we need to get around low GPA's.

Members don't see this ad :)

MCAT and GPA aren't the only things to consider. Some people decide later in their undergrad years and some later in life that they want to go to medical school. Typically these people need to enroll in the SMP in order to prove that they can handle rigorous science coursework. There are several people in the current year's class in that exact situation.

MCAT and GPA aren't the only things to consider. Some people decide later in their undergrad years and some later in life that they want to go to medical school. Typically these people need to enroll in the SMP in order to prove that they can handle rigorous science coursework. There are several people in the current year's class in that exact situation.

This is exactly right. Unfortunately, the medical school admissions process often leaves many good candidates with no acceptances and no options. Post-bacc/masters programs are an excellent way to strengthen your file for admissions the next time around. Just because someone has a decent GPA does not mean they are "taking up spots" in the program. More than likely, these candidates needed the program as much as anyone else--and likewise, deserve to be in the program as much as anyone else.

got my acceptance today... How firm are they on their deadlines??? it said that my package was mailed out on 2/1 and i didnt get it till 2/4 does that mean i got until 2/11 or 2/14 to put down a deposit???

The deposit is non-refundable???

any1 know if they will have dorms that we could stay at or are we going to be looking for apartments ourselves?

any1 know if they will have dorms that we could stay at or are we going to be looking for apartments ourselves?

There is a school-owned apartment complex called the Hague Club, and it is right across the street from EVMS. However, the waiting list time is about a year.

There are no dorms. Most students live in apartments in the neighborhood of Ghent, which is very close (walking distance) to the school. I found my apartment through a friend who knew my roommate needed another roommate. Some people found their apartments on the Norfolk Craigslist website... some people contacted real estate agents. Some of the more popular apartment building complexes are Pembroke Towers (very close to school), Hague Park (also very close) and Hague Towers. These tend to fill up quickly, so I would advise against waiting until late summer to try to get one...

Can someone tell me if EVMS has a advisory commitee for the Med Masters who will write update letters/recommendation for us???

Does anyone know when the deadline is for the SMP application?

I thought it was in April, so I am guessing I could tell them that my MCAT scores are pending IF I am able to get for the April MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have yet to hear back from them also. I hope the wait-list works in a first-come, first-served fashion; that would give us great odds. Ill find out from Rose in the next few days.

I spoke to Rose recently and she said the waitlist is based on MCAT score, so they pull the highest ones first.

Oh well, so much for us good GPA, low MCAT score folks......

I spoke to Rose recently and she said the waitlist is based on MCAT score, so they pull the highest ones first.

Oh well, so much for us good GPA, low MCAT score folks......
dang! well i had them put off a decision on mine until i get the results from the april 5th mcat...hopefully that will drag me to the top of the list. who knows...

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself to this thread! I finally completed and submitted my online application. Now I'm just waiting for my recommendation letters to be sent in and for my transcripts and MCAT scores to arrive.

My cumulative GPA is 2.87 and my MCAT score is a 30O. I've done a good amount of volunteer work and I also hold leadership roles.

CONGRATS to those of you who have already been accepted, and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back! I look forward to joining you on this fun journey.. haha :)

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself to this thread! I finally completed and submitted my online application. Now I'm just waiting for my recommendation letters to be sent in and for my transcripts and MCAT scores to arrive.

My cumulative GPA is 2.87 and my MCAT score is a 30O. I've done a good amount of volunteer work and I also hold leadership roles.

CONGRATS to those of you who have already been accepted, and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back! I look forward to joining you on this fun journey.. haha :)

I just submitted yesterday as well (3.08 & 35N)..EVMS is my #1 :love: choice so the wait is going to be helllllll. How long did it take you guys to be considered complete? I overnighted my transcripts but I'm sending my recs through Interfolio..should I send it to the same addy as the transcripts? And how do I send MCAT scores..EVMS isn't on Thx.

you mail them your score report with a verification code

I overnighted my transcripts but I'm sending my recs through Interfolio..should I send it to the same addy as the transcripts?

Yep, its the same address.

I just submitted yesterday as well (3.08 & 35N)..EVMS is my #1 :love: choice so the wait is going to be helllllll. How long did it take you guys to be considered complete? I overnighted my transcripts but I'm sending my recs through Interfolio..should I send it to the same addy as the transcripts? And how do I send MCAT scores..EVMS isn't on Thx.

it took about 4 weeks for them get back to me about my decision after all material was sent.

Sweet, thanks guys! I got my "you're almost complete, we're just waiting on your transcripts" email!

Application complete! Picture and everything :) Now the wait begins..

when was the letter post marked is you dont mind me asking?
thanks

when was the letter post marked is you dont mind me asking?
thanks

I don't mind at all. It was 3/17, but I didn't check my mail until today.

One of the previous posts said that people are pulled off the waitlist in order of MCAT scores... I will call tomorrow, but because I'm antsy right now (haha) I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of which third a 30O would fall into. Also, what do you guys think of re-taking the MCAT?

i assume you mean retake it asap to send in as an update? no I wouldn't recommend it because its too risky to chance a 2nd mcat without being prepared....

but if you were talking in general? it depends....if you had a sub 30 score than maybe, but given your 30, its much easier to drop your score than go up....

i assume you mean retake it asap to send in as an update? no I wouldn't recommend it because its too risky to chance a 2nd mcat without being prepared....

but if you were talking in general? it depends....if you had a sub 30 score than maybe, but given your 30, its much easier to drop your score than go up....

Yeah, I was planning to re-take and update my application. On the old Med Master's thread, people were getting accepted off the waitlist as late as July, and I would want to make myself as competitive as possible, especially if it is based solely upon MCAT scores.

I would start studying after finals/commencement and probably take it in late May.. which gives me a solid three weeks.

Anybody have any idea when the waitlist starts moving? I assume it's not until the early summer?

So anyone going to EVMS wanted to be roomates? :D
I'm from Texas, not sure if I'm getting a car or not, I'm thinking of somewhere close to campus such as the pembroke towers or something.
Anyway let me know, thanks :)

sorry for spamming on both threads, just wanted to increase my chance lol

So I called EVMS and apparently they already have received 230 applications. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY! I can only imagine how many more they will receive by Tuesday, when the deadline rolls around... all for a class size of 20 :scared: (I rarely use emoticons but this situation seemed verrrry appropriate hahah)

So I called EVMS and apparently they already have received 230 applications. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY! I can only imagine how many more they will receive by Tuesday, when the deadline rolls around... all for a class size of 20 :scared: (I rarely use emoticons but this situation seemed verrrry appropriate hahah)
Wow, I really didn't need to read that right now haha. :(

Which classes in this program are the ones taken alongside the med students? Biochem, physiology in the spring...I know there are more...any help?

Fall -
With med students:
Medical Molecular Cell Biology (MMCB)
Embryology
Physiology
Not with med students:
Histology (Same course as med students just not in same room at same time)
Topics in Biomedical Sciences
Thesis

Spring -
With med students:
Biochemistry
Physiology (continued)
Not with med students:
Research Techniques
Concepts in cell biology and physiology
Thesis (continued)

I have a 3.6 and I applied. I am also on the upper 1/3 of the waitlist for med at EVMS, so I really hope that turns into an acceptance. If not, I hope to join some of you next year!

It seems like going into a med masters program wih a 3.6 is kind of pointless and risky. You GPA is good and your mcat is fine. If your GPA were maybe less than 3.5 I would say do it, but I think there are better things to do with a year off.

It seems like going into a med masters program wih a 3.6 is kind of pointless and risky. You GPA is good and your mcat is fine. If your GPA were maybe less than 3.5 I would say do it, but I think there are better things to do with a year off.

I'm not sure you understand just how difficult it is to gain admission into a medical school (especially a US allopathic school). Every year, there are thousands of candidates throughout the country with a 3.5+ who are left without a spot. Yes, taking the MCAT again might improve your chances for the next cycle... alternatively you could do worse... or the same. In this case you would just end up wasting a year of your life. Granted, an SMP is by no means a guarantee, but if you can make it in medical school, chances are good that an SMP (especially the one at EVMS) will get you that ticket in.

I'm not sure you understand just how difficult it is to gain admission into a medical school (especially a US allopathic school). Every year, there are thousands of candidates throughout the country with a 3.5+ who are left without a spot. Yes, taking the MCAT again might improve your chances for the next cycle... alternatively you could do worse... or the same. In this case you would just end up wasting a year of your life. Granted, an SMP is by no means a guarantee, but if you can make it in medical school, chances are good that an SMP (especially the one at EVMS) will get you that ticket in.

True, but doing an SMP with a 3.6/32 MCAT with great ECs seems unneccesary to me. I understand the desire to have that last aspect of your application to push you over the top, but I think that it would better serve someone with an unbalanced academic past that really needs to prove themself. Of course as someone with a 2.7/36 MCAT, I'll admit I'm highly biased.

All the schools I contacted to ask about my rejections told me that I was an average applicant and must I add, a Canadian applicant. The fact that I come from a Canadian equivalent of an Ivy league (without the grade inflation) doesn't seem to matter. I asked an Adcom if a special masters would give me an edge and he said that that would be absolutely brilliant. My other option is to work in a super insane clinical setting he said. So I have an interview in order to be an Emergency Room Coordinator next week. We'll see what pans out. I was also considering a one year MPH, but I can't seem to find a program that isn't 45,000$ a year (Darthmouth). What would you guys recommend I do?
Thanks!

True, but doing an SMP with a 3.6/32 MCAT with great ECs seems unneccesary to me. I understand the desire to have that last aspect of your application to push you over the top, but I think that it would better serve someone with an unbalanced academic past that really needs to prove themself. Of course as someone with a 2.7/36 MCAT, I'll admit I'm highly biased.

I don't think you need a SMP, I think you need a post-bac to pull up your GPA to at least 3.0. Then an SMP would be a good idea. If you don't do that, you won't make the cutoffs at most schools. But that's just my 2 cents.
I must add that my GPA is somewhat unbalanced, with a 3.3 my first year, a 3.76 my second year and a 4.0 so far (my first year was credited AP, so I only have 3 years --> that is a bad idea!!)

I don't think you need a SMP, I think you need a post-bac to pull up your GPA to at least 3.0. Then an SMP would be a good idea. If you don't do that, you won't make the cutoffs at most schools. But that's just my 2 cents.
I must add that my GPA is somewhat unbalanced, with a 3.3 my first year, a 3.76 my second year and a 4.0 so far (my first year was credited AP, so I only have 3 years --> that is a bad idea!!)

EVMS has the only hard-and-fast GPA requirement among SMPs: a 2.75. All the schools with a 3.0 requirement have told me that it's more a general recommendation (ie. if you don't meet it, you better have a high MCAT).

As far as your application goes, I don't think your academics are unbalanced: you have a very high upward trend that was never all that low in the first place. All I can say is that you have a good, balanced application that wouldn't seem to need any "record enhancement".

Hope you make it off those waitlists, but if not, best of luck with whatever you decide ;)

EVMS has the only hard-and-fast GPA requirement among SMPs: a 2.75. All the schools with a 3.0 requirement have told me that it's more a general recommendation (ie. if you don't meet it, you better have a high MCAT).

As far as your application goes, I don't think your academics are unbalanced: you have a very high upward trend that was never all that low in the first place. All I can say is that you have a good, balanced application that wouldn't seem to need any "record enhancement".

Hope you make it off those waitlists, but if not, best of luck with whatever you decide ;)

I actually meant after the program. Medical schools have cutoffs and I was told that was at 3.0. Under that I was told that they don't even look at the rest of your file. That is why I suggested the Post-bac.
The problem with my application is that is just bland and apparently everyone thought that as well. So obviously I need enhancement. I hardly got any interviews and I got no acceptances, although I have been told multiple times that I interview very well. The only thing that I can think of is that I am International and that that killed me. In these past months I have seen Americans with much lower stats get multiple acceptances to a variety of schools. So while my file appears good to SDners, my advisor and almost anyone except an Adcom, I have no acceptances for next year.
Thanks for your support! I hope that an SMP will yield a medical school acceptance!

I actually meant after the program. Medical schools have cutoffs and I was told that was at 3.0. Under that I was told that they don't even look at the rest of your file. That is why I suggested the Post-bac.
The problem with my application is that is just bland and apparently everyone thought that as well. So obviously I need enhancement. I hardly got any interviews and I got no acceptances, although I have been told multiple times that I interview very well. The only thing that I can think of is that I am International and that that killed me. In these past months I have seen Americans with much lower stats get multiple acceptances to a variety of schools. So while my file appears good to SDners, my advisor and almost anyone except an Adcom, I have no acceptances for next year.
Thanks for your support! I hope that an SMP will yield a medical school acceptance!

Just to clear a common misconception, I don't know of any med schools that have official cut-offs of 3.0 (although there might be some), but it just makes it really difficult to gain admission unless you can stand out strongly in virtually every other area of your application (eg. http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1611).

As far as SMPs go, I don't think they'd take students with less than 3.0's if they considered them uncompetitive for medical school admissions after completion of the program.

Is that profile someone you know? If not, it doesn't seem likely that someone with that GPA would apply to those schools...

Just to clear a common misconception, I don't know of any med schools that have official cut-offs of 3.0 (although there might be some), but it just makes it really difficult to gain admission unless you can stand out strongly in virtually every other area of your application (eg. http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1611).
The mdapp that you posted is definitely a fake. There are certain inconsistencies with the schools this person applied to and the schools interviewed/accepted at. I applied this cycle and believe me that no high MCAT will make up for a low GPA. The bottom line these days is that you cannot have a weakness period. All aspects of your application have to be strong. This is why an SMP is a good option for people whose weakness is the GPA. By weakness I mean approximately in the 3.0-3.3 range. Any thing below a 3.0 and you are fighting an uphill battle that will probably take more than a 1 year SMP.

As far as SMPs go, I don't think they'd take students with less than 3.0's if they considered them uncompetitive for medical school admissions after completion of the program.
The veracity of this claim is wholly dependent on the quality of the SMP. Some of them are no more than ripoffs which will give you a masters degree you cannot use for about $30,000. The better the SMP (like EVMS) the more the above statement applies.

The mdapp that you posted is definitely a fake. There are certain inconsistencies with the schools this person applied to and the schools interviewed/accepted at. I applied this cycle and believe me that no high MCAT will make up for a low GPA. The bottom line these days is that you cannot have a weakness period. All aspects of your application have to be strong. This is why an SMP is a good option for people whose weakness is the GPA. By weakness I mean approximately in the 3.0-3.3 range. Any thing below a 3.0 and you are fighting an uphill battle that will probably take more than a 1 year SMP.

The veracity of this claim is wholly dependent on the quality of the SMP. Some of them are no more than ripoffs which will give you a masters degree you cannot use for about $30,000. The better the SMP (like EVMS) the more the above statement applies.

Fair points :thumbup:

All the schools I contacted to ask about my rejections told me that I was an average applicant and must I add, a Canadian applicant. The fact that I come from a Canadian equivalent of an Ivy league (without the grade inflation) doesn't seem to matter. I asked an Adcom if a special masters would give me an edge and he said that that would be absolutely brilliant. My other option is to work in a super insane clinical setting he said. So I have an interview in order to be an Emergency Room Coordinator next week. We'll see what pans out. I was also considering a one year MPH, but I can't seem to find a program that isn't 45,000$ a year (Darthmouth). What would you guys recommend I do?
Thanks!

Just curious when did you submit your AMCAS and secondaries? If you applied late I highly suggest applying early and not enter an SMP this year. Also, apply to some schools like SUNY Upstate and Buffalo as they seem to accept a lot of Canadian students. Looking at your MD applicants page I didn't see these schools listed. Being in an SMP is very stressful and if you can avoid doing one consider yourself lucky.

there was a thread about ppl with sub 3.0 gpa that got into med school. there are a handful of ppl on this forum that did it, but emphasis on handful.

Just curious when did you submit your AMCAS and secondaries? If you applied late I highly suggest applying early and not enter an SMP this year. Also, apply to some schools like SUNY Upstate and Buffalo as they seem to accept a lot of Canadian students. Looking at your MD applicants page I didn't see these schools listed. Being in an SMP is very stressful and if you can avoid doing one consider yourself lucky.

My AMCAS was submitted late June, I was complete early July. Most of my secondaries were turned in by mid to late August, depending on when I got them. However, I had to retake the MCAT and the results were released early September. So that may have been a problem. Also, at the time I applied, I had a 3.5 GPA. I got a 4.0 last semester, and now I have 3.6. I updated all the schools in early January, but obvisously to no avail.
I do think that my citizenship is what killed me.
I did apply to SUNY Upstate. They told me I was an average applicant when I asked why I had been refused. I did not apply to Buffulo because they don't accpet Internationals according to the MSAR. However, I later learned at one of my interviews that Canadians are considered OOS and not International. By then it was too late to apply (early November).
Right now, I am keeping my options open so that I can choose the best path for next year. So I will apply to some certificates, to an MPH, to SMPs and for jobs. Some of these I have already applied, but for others I need LORs and such so I am waiting for those.
Did anyone else get any results from EVMS?

My AMCAS was submitted late June, I was complete early July. Most of my secondaries were turned in by mid to late August, depending on when I got them. However, I had to retake the MCAT and the results were released early September. So that may have been a problem. Also, at the time I applied, I had a 3.5 GPA. I got a 4.0 last semester, and now I have 3.6. I updated all the schools in early January, but obvisously to no avail.
I do think that my citizenship is what killed me.
I did apply to SUNY Upstate. They told me I was an average applicant when I asked why I had been refused. I did not apply to Buffulo because they don't accpet Internationals according to the MSAR. However, I later learned at one of my interviews that Canadians are considered OOS and not International. By then it was too late to apply (early November).
Right now, I am keeping my options open so that I can choose the best path for next year. So I will apply to some certificates, to an MPH, to SMPs and for jobs. Some of these I have already applied, but for others I need LORs and such so I am waiting for those.
Did anyone else get any results from EVMS?

Skip the SMP route and submit your AMCAS the first day possible. For the year off get a job that will look good for your application and earn some cash. You can always reapply to an SMP if you do not get accepted next year. However, I think if you apply broadly enough you will gain an acceptance and save 30 thousand dollars. And who knows you might even be pulled off a waitlist for this cycle.

Does anyone know when classes start exactly? (or when the orientation is?) August...???

Thanks.