Ever get discouraged about EMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krazed_Medic

Registered Banned User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is mainly gonna be a rant and rave to make me feel better. Lately, I've been feeling pretty crappy about EMS work. I soon realized that it was the work itself, because I love it, but I hate the company. They have so many policies and way to many chiefs and not enough indians. They also try to make you feel as incompetent as they can for some reason. I feel like I work for a good company, or at least better than any I have ever worked at in the past, but i'm just tired of the same old crap. I've been in EMS just a little shy of 5 years now, and have always loved my job. Lately though, I just can't wait to get out of this business and get into medical school. I think one reason is because medical school is now much closer than it ever was if that makes any sense. I'm just one year from taking the MCAT, and a little over a year away from applying, so it has definately turned real for me. Well, I'm sure none of this has made any sense, but it kinda makes me feel a tad better. Anyone else ever feel like this?

Members don't see this ad.

In a word... Yes!

However, I love the runs, dealing with pts and family, and everything else involved with the actual emergencies (or non-emergencies, whatever they may be), but I could easily do without the occasional "backstabbing" coworkers, useless memos directed at everyone to correct one persons bad behavior, and finding my truck trashed at the start of a shift. You take the good with the bad, I guess.

This weeks been particularly bad for me, as several of my coworkers were laid off for financial reasons :(

I'm starting med school at the end of July though, so I've found myself getting worked up over the petty stuff that I use to let roll off my back. I guess its because I know I'm leaving anyway, and I just want my last month to be enjoyable :cool: .

Steve

That is the reason I have chosen to attend medical school. While I have enjoyed the ALS stuff for over 10 years I have finally decided that I am tired of not having the appropriate treatments avaiable. The people, save a few, are great, my supervisors are reasonable, but the constraints of not having enough tratment options and as you put it, excessive memos, are killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto- loved real calls, helping folks etc
hated bs transfers at 3 am, supervisors with attitude, and carrying 350 lb pts with chronic back pain down stairs at 4 am because they don't have a regular doc.
went to pa school(still work em), trippled my salary with half as many hours. great scope of practice. it was the right choice....

I had similar feeling towards the end of my EMS career.

The first couple of years working as a medic was a blast and I was excited to go on just about any run. Loved the good and the bad.

Then i wanted more......slowly started going back to school.....took the MCAT etc......and i started resenting bogus calls and essentially got sick and tired of not being "the doc". i also hated lifting patients and blah blah.

Now here i am getting ready to take step 1 this friday and so far getting out of EMS and going to medschool has been a great choice.

of course, i still have a soft spot for EMS and always will be involved in some capacity.......hopefully as a medical director.

hang in there.

later