euthanasia at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex8542

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear veterinary colleagues, i have an unfortunate situation to discuss. i have a 7 year old cat who has been valiantly fighting CRF since he was a kitten. he now is quite ill and weighs less than 4 pounds. he has almost entirely stopped taking anything PO over the weekend. my wife is out of the country on business and returns home midnight on monday. if she was home, we would most likely take him to the vet to be euthanized. she will be absolutely devastated if the cat is euthanized in her absence.

i am a surgeon (humans) and have unrestricted access to thiopental and propofol. i'm not sure i could stick this poor dehydrated cat for an IV but have read about intraperitoneal pentobarb as an accepted technique. would also consider ketamine IM for pre-procedure sedation but do not have access to it.

another option, since this will be at home, would be a slower process with something PO. benadryl? i don't think i have any leftover narcotics at home but something that would depress resp function in a gentle manner seems to be a kind way to go.

waiting until tuesday and going to the vet is still an option, but in my opinion would place undue stress on the kitty. he gets quite anxious in the car and at the clinic.

please reply with compassionate advice. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

waiting until tuesday and going to the vet is still an option, but in my opinion would place undue stress on the kitty. he gets quite anxious in the car and at the clinic.

please reply with compassionate advice. thank you.

The stress you describe is likely much less than the stress your cat will undergo with a failed euthanasia attempt. Please take your cat to a vet and let someone who knows what they are doing (sorry but cats are not tiny people) give your kitty a peaceful death. I am sure your wife will be more understanding than if you "killed" her cat at home (and by guessing what drug and how to give, you are killing your cat, not euthanizing it, since you are not trained to do it properly).

What you are asking is for one of the people on this forum to help you with animal cruelty.

It is illegal for you to perform veterinary procedures on any animal including your own. Just as it is illegal for a veterinarian to perform medical procedures on humans.
If that is not dissuasive enough, I assure you that *humane euthanasia* is best performed by a veterinarian.

I beg you not to undertake this task yourself, you may find yourself very sorry not only legally but emotionally. Please understand that human physiology does not linearly translate to veterinary physiology, and that the best man for the job is a DVM. Your wife and your dear cat will thank you.

I know of compassionate veterinarians that will come to your house to evaluate and euthanize your pet, typically if they have seen your pet before and thus have some history and background to your pet's condition.

So please contact your veterinarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.